PDA

View Full Version : Why the OC Crew ask me to shoot their car...(high res photo sample included)

Macky
06-21-2006, 08:28 PM
I figured Id start a thread like this for the OC guys since a lot are gearing up with their own digital cameras. This will be to answer any questions you guys may have and where you can find practical examples (whenever possible)

So going into the topic...how do I take my shots? What makes them special (according to some). Well...here goes.

Here we have a direct comparison. Thanks to Will (nice meetin ya bro), I have an actual shot to compare together.

Look below and compare the two pictures. The first one is taken by Will on the same day I did a shoot at RMR alongside a pro photographer. (by the way, the cap on the lower left corner is me taking the next shot at the same time)

http://www.willsweat.com/forum_images/IMG_2717.JPG

The second photo (nearly high res for you guys this time) is taken by me on the same day, at almost the same time. The main difference is how the shot was taken, basically how the picture was composed. Giving a feeling of depth, and showing you the overall picture.

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/12809/R41.jpg

Now I may not be as available all the time to take shoots for everybody, but for those that have questions (i know blkside has a few) about how to shoot, feel free to post here and ask away.

WNLancer
06-21-2006, 08:30 PM
are x-ray filters available now macky? j/k

blkside
06-21-2006, 08:31 PM
No I wanna know why the bastards I orderded my cam through just emailed me and told me my shit is on backorder...if I dont get my cam in time I am gonna be one angry MofO....

Macky
06-21-2006, 08:32 PM
are x-ray filters available now macky? j/k

i will neither confirm nor deny :grin:

Macky
06-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Another interesting and commonly overlooked aspect is, aside from composition, is the subject itself. you want the subject to be obvious and visible, without destroying the overall composition of the picture. see attached image....

Macky
06-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Bland photo? POSTERIZE!

If you look at the first photo, its actually not that bad. but since the colors are of the same intensity, there isnt any "action", and it gets boring after a while.

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/12809/8to9.jpg

But if you posterize it, you tend to give the photo some life. Note that not every photo looks good posterized. use your best judgement O0

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/12809/8to9P.jpg

ultrawifey
06-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Macky pictures are always great, mmms macky skills :]

Macky
06-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Macky pictures are always great, mmms macky skills :]

thanks O0

WNLancer
06-21-2006, 09:03 PM
if you want to focus more on the your subject, lower you aperture so you could blur the background a bit, and your subject focused. just adding macky.. ;)

Macky
06-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Have trouble looking for a good background? just use your imagination. below are some samples of ordinary backgrounds.

1 - outside, in the parking lot of Bella Terra in Huntington Beach
2 - next to empty cargo containers
3 - church parking lot
4 - South Coast Plaza parking lot

note that the pictures were taken mostly during times where there is just enough ambient light to "see" the entire photo, but also other highlights to balance the overall composition. none were taken during midday, mid-afternoon or noon - the worst times to take pictures.

Macky
06-21-2006, 09:10 PM
if you want to focus more on the your subject, lower you aperture so you could blur the background a bit, and your subject focused. just adding macky.. ;)

thanks Wilbert!

by lowering, he means using an aperture with 5.6, 4 or 3. this opens the aperture more fully, blurring the background and emphasizing the subject.

Macky
06-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Motion shots VS Panning shots

My definition of each is this : Motion shots involve pacing the subject; shooting while keeping parallel with the subject in the direction it is going. Panning would be in a stationary spot, using your upper body to "pan" and follow the subject as it comes near and goes far.

below are samples of some motion shots:

Macky
06-21-2006, 09:24 PM
below are some examples of panning shots. note that the shutter speed to set would be anywhere between 1/30~1/50. just keep firing as the subject comes toward and goes away.

blkside
06-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Those are hot son....yeah I am gonna get a few pointers from you while I am there...these bitches better get my camera here...

DTunedEvoX
06-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Great information :D Bump for good ol Macky! I'll try some stuff with my D50 ...

Terry S
06-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Hey Macky,

Can you fix the images on the first post? they are being resized by SoCal.

Terry S

Macky
06-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Hey Macky,

Can you fix the images on the first post? they are being resized by SoCal.

Terry S

nah I cant, they automatically get resized to 800 pix width. just right-click and copy the link, paste it on a new browser window and you'll get the high res. ;)

SpdyEvo02
06-25-2006, 05:07 PM
a good online place to buy cameras and parts is adorama.com

Macky
06-25-2006, 08:29 PM
please stay on topic here guys ;)

EvoPwr
07-01-2006, 01:37 PM
I dont know....I was thinking of a DVD player but I dont think I want anything that flashy... My uncle is a GM at circuit city so I can get what I want piss cheap...I may just get something simple....Pioneer Satellite Radio-Ready In-Dash Player (DEHP3800MP) and replace with some nice speakers.....

Pioneer is a awsome choice...i have a Pioneer In-Dash DVD plyer in my car and i love it

on topic young one! please Macky continue with the photo talk O0 :mitsu:

Macky
07-01-2006, 02:53 PM
hey dustin can you understand plain english or do i have to spell it out for you? dont be a dumbass and keep posting on my thread.

itsmeeeugene
07-06-2006, 03:52 AM
is there a good photography forum that i could visit and check out? i got the canon 350D about 2 weeks ago and im trying to learn as much as possible! any suggestions?

mangoes
07-06-2006, 05:32 AM
http://www.jtuned.com/forums/

check out their photography section

EvoRution
07-06-2006, 07:41 PM
IMHO shooting in RAW makes a huge difference.. it will let you do a lot of after-the-fact white balance correction and gives you a lot more flexibility with tweaking your images.

I use capture 1 pro..

Macky
07-06-2006, 07:59 PM
IMHO shooting in RAW makes a huge difference.. it will let you do a lot of after-the-fact white balance correction and gives you a lot more flexibility with tweaking your images.

I use capture 1 pro..

im playing around with RAW recently as well. im not yet getting the desired results yet, but im working on it ;)

j_nizzle
07-06-2006, 10:35 PM
http://www.jtuned.com/forums/

check out their photography section

are you kidding?! they have one guy posting pictures...

dcho
07-13-2006, 02:32 AM
WOW, what is going on here. no offense macky, but your stuff isn't anything at all. *cough* they suck *cough* for someone of your level you speak like the almighty. i have respect for people's work (most of the time, heh) but when you're speaking like youre hot shit, you better have the work to back it up - which is apparent that you dont. you seem to offer all this wonderful advice, but i don't see any of it enhancing your pictures. i'm just trying to do the world a favor here. open your eyes people!

qsjoeygst
07-13-2006, 07:19 AM
WOW, what is going on here. no offense macky, but your stuff isn't anything at all. *cough* they suck *cough* for someone of your level you speak like the almighty. i have respect for people's work (most of the time, heh) but when you're speaking like youre hot shit, you better have the work to back it up - which is apparent that you dont. you seem to offer all this wonderful advice, but i don't see any of it enhancing your pictures. i'm just trying to do the world a favor here. open your eyes people!

Can i ask what do you do? I mean those are really harsh words. It would be nice to have a background about yourself seeing how you could say something like this. Im not trying to start anything i just want to know what do you do?

Macky
07-13-2006, 07:45 AM

somone IP check this asshat please.

i dont do this professionally, but unless you can show you are really worlds better, I suggest you shut your asshat mouth.

motion to ban this guy.

Coolguy949
07-13-2006, 09:05 AM
below are some examples of panning shots. note that the shutter speed to set would be anywhere between 1/30~1/50. just keep firing as the subject comes toward and goes away.

That's incorrect. You don't need the shutter that slow, you can still capture what you want at 1/60 - 1/100. You shouldnt go below 1/60 handheld unless you have the ISO set pretty high. That's why your subject (the car) is coming out blurred and the background looks a little funny (the motion isnt steady). The way I do it is if they are going below 60mph i set it at 1/60 and if they are going less than 80 i do 1/80, same for 1/100, etc.

Anyone interested in photography should join our new photography community. The site has only been online for about 2 weeks while we finish it up. You should still be able to post though. We have some true professional photographers that will be providing information and advice on the boards.

http://www.socalphoto.net

Macky
07-13-2006, 09:14 AM

That's incorrect. You don't need the shutter that slow, you can still capture what you want at 1/60 - 1/100. You shouldnt go below 1/60 handheld unless you have the ISO set pretty high. That's why your subject (the car) is coming out blurred and the background looks a little funny (the motion isnt steady). The way I do it is if they are going below 60mph i set it at 1/60 and if they are going less than 80 i do 1/80, same for 1/100, etc.

Anyone interested in photography should join our new photography community. The site has only been online for about 2 weeks while we finish it up. You should still be able to post though.

http://www.socalphoto.net

i use the shutter speed between that range since i shoot the car at an otherwise abnormally slow pace. if the car im shooting at is travelling quite fast, then i would pan and shoot at higher speeds. i just adapt to the situation, and these are just what I do. that doesnt mean its the norm. its not that that what i do is incorrect, its just my way of taking the shot.

my take on photography is that its kind of like your driving style. just because everyone does not agree to the way you drive, doesnt make it wrong. i also have a fine art background so that also influences the way i shoot my pictures, so you may like it or you may not. its art to me as well so i dont really see anything wrong with it.

dcho
07-13-2006, 09:22 AM
for someone with your attitude and ego, you sure do sound like quite the pro. heck, you even say so yourself in the proffesional vs noob comparison!

yes, i do shoot for magazines but dont consider my work to be far superior than anyone elses or anything

i'm just peeved and surprised by how big headed a n00b can get

Terry S
07-13-2006, 09:27 AM
for someone with your attitude and ego, you sure do sound like quite the pro. heck, you even say so yourself in the proffesional vs noob comparison!

yes, i do shoot for magazines but dont consider my work to be far superior than anyone elses or anything

You lose.

High Five!!!

:slap!:

Gave ya cancer!

Terry S

Macky
07-13-2006, 09:29 AM

did i say that it was superior? no. i recently had a number of people ask me for advice here and there for the past few months and decided to answer them and show some of the samples they ask for instead of retyping the same message over and over.

so you shoot for magazines. good for you. maybe you can come and show me how you shoot instead of being an asshat and start flaming.

i dont see you trying to help out complete strangers, because thats what i try to do when im not working - helping other people here with their cars, offering my personal time to shoot their car asking for none in return after each shoot.

tell me this, what do you bring in this thread? Id like to see one concrete and positive fact.

dcho
07-13-2006, 09:30 AM
:uglystupid2:

i don't bring anything into this thread. nor am i obligated to do so. i have my opinion, just like everyone else. its wonderful you help people, but its your ego that im pissing about :smitten:

Macky
07-13-2006, 10:17 AM
:uglystupid2:

i don't bring anything into this thread. nor am i obligated to do so. i have my opinion, just like everyone else. its wonderful you help people, but its your ego that im pissing about :smitten:

i could care less if you have a problem with my ego, so you can go piss all you want. just remember to flush the urinal when you exit the lavatory.

dcho
07-13-2006, 11:40 AM
what a pity, and you know what? i can't do anything about it. i just dont understand how youre so worshipped here. maybe you can teach me that* :idiot2: is there something im missing?

btw, do you really think youre a pro?

gen4k20a2
07-13-2006, 11:48 AM
I doubt macky thinks hes a "pro", meaning its his profession. Hes seen as that here cause hes way better than everyone else when it comes to taking pictures.

Terry S
07-13-2006, 11:53 AM

He has said several dozen times, very clearly, that he is not a pro nor does he think he is.

Are you just typing responses to posts you dont read? Can you read?

Someone seriously ban him & his IP... Where's Dino when you need him...

Terry S

dcho
07-13-2006, 12:13 PM
you hurt my feelnings

Macky
07-13-2006, 01:00 PM
what a pity, and you know what? i can't do anything about it. i just dont understand how youre so worshipped here. maybe you can teach me that* :idiot2: is there something im missing?

ive said it time and again that im not a pro, in fact, i know people here that take pictures waay better than me; people that i myself ask for advice, so what's your point? some professional photographers are better than others, just as some amateurs are better than others. its a pointless debate. you are not making any sense here.

you are jumping in something more than just a simple photography subject with your guns blazing. if it irritates you to read the thread, why do you continue to read through it and post?

please do enlighten us all, because i think we are missing your point.

im through trying to deal with you on this subject. ive argued against smarter people than you; you just dont make any sense.

cyberz350
08-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Damn man,

Macky\'s just tryin to help out. If this topic isn\'t helping you, move on. Simple as that. I haven\'t read anything in this thread that suggests Macky has a big head regarding his photography. I happen to think he\'s got some decent shots. And a lot of people in this forum feel the same. Photography is subjective.

itsnino
08-07-2006, 12:26 PM
judging someone off the get go is a tricky and dumb thing to do. its a froum and theres no way of understanding tones or emotions. ive been here for a bit and youre way off with your judgement. so just relax dcho, its just a forum. no need to get worked up over things that you interpret to be (not that im knocking your opnion, you have the right to express yourself). its better to let things go. this convo wouldn't have happened if you wouldve just ignored it, theres too much REAL problems outside the internet to be worrying about every little thing. smile peeps, its monday.