PDA

View Full Version : Video from Thunderhill June 19th

earlyapex
06-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Finally got a vid cam setup in my car. Here are a couple of laps from Thunderhill on Monday. Bunch more coming when I find the time to encode it all.

Trying out some streaming flash video so let me know if it doesn't work:
http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/video/thunderhill/061906/american_traffic_flashvid/

This is a high-traffic video clip so I don't get much of clean laps in but its fun to see what types of cars are actually making the traffic. ;) You also don't realize I am going about half speed with them until I pass them and start going normal speed again.

A little higher res non-streaming 98.5mb H.264 vid version can be found here:
http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/video/thunderhill/061906/thill061906_American_traffic_sm.mov

-------------------
Update

Two new vids:

A couple warm up laps with traffic:
http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/video/thunderhill/061906/thill_warmuplaps/

Two semifast laps:
http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/video/thunderhill/061906/thill_semifast2laps/

thisxguy
06-21-2006, 10:14 PM
nice

gt40
06-21-2006, 10:35 PM
nice video- what camera did you use?

earlyapex
06-21-2006, 10:39 PM
nice video- what camera did you use?

Canon Elura 100. Got it on sale at dell.com for $289. Great deal. Shoots widescreen (real widescreen with more pixels not just black bars placed on top and bottom).

Also has line-in vid capabilities so u can use a bullet cam if you want. External mic in as well. I used a powered sony mic mounted in the trunk for that vid. Less wind noise, more engine noise. ;)

I/O port camera mount on my rollbar. has a nice rubber isolator to dampen the vibrations.

gt40
06-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Good idea doing the mic in the trunk O0 Do you ever run tracks down here?

j_nizzle
06-21-2006, 10:52 PM
nice vid!!! damn, no one can put up with you on the track. even the viper/vette guys had to wave you by...the lotus didnt even want to put up a fight!

GokuSSJ4
06-21-2006, 10:54 PM

great idea !!!

earlyapex
nice vid!!! damn, no one can put up with you on the track. even the viper/vette guys had to wave you by...the lotus didnt even want to put up a fight!

ahah, well those cars with good drivers probably would have been a different story. Those guys where super slow in the corners and would just throttle the straights. I was half throttle in the corners when i was behind them. That black vette was a new Z06.

GokuSSJ4
fricking Brian runs in the 2:03's at T-hill.....

j_nizzle
06-21-2006, 10:57 PM
fricking Brian runs in the 2:03's at T-hill.....

im in no way doubting his skills/speed. just thought the guys that put out more money to mod their cars would stand a chance. just goes to show that evo's are once again a force to reckoned with at any track!

earlyapex
06-21-2006, 10:58 PM

I come down to buttonwillow every once and awhile.

Only bad thing about the mic in the trunk is it picks up all the rocks getting kicked up, but the good thing is it doesn't pick up me swearing at the viper and vette driver. :P

GokuSSJ4
06-21-2006, 10:59 PM

Only bad thing about the mic in the trunk is it picks up all the rocks getting kicked up, but the good thing is it doesn't pick up me swearing at the viper and vette driver. :P

LOL i rather hear the rocks then the fricking wind ....

gt40
06-21-2006, 11:18 PM
I have taped over the mic on the camcorder with duct tape but will have to see how that compares to micing the trunk...

earlyapex
06-21-2006, 11:21 PM
I also have some footage with the mic under the glove box. I'll put it up in the next couple days.

GokuSSJ4
06-21-2006, 11:31 PM
I also have some footage with the mic under the glove box. I'll put it up in the next couple days.

cool!

WavMixer
06-22-2006, 08:45 AM
Nice footage, great driving and F**KING BEAUTIFUL track!! I'm very much looking forward to driving thunderhill someday.

GokuSSJ4
06-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Nice footage, great driving and F**KING BEAUTIFUL track!! I'm very much looking forward to driving thunderhill someday.

too bad that track is 7.5hrs away from L.A.
it was a blast to do a track day at T-hill

speedform
06-22-2006, 09:18 AM
I REALLY need to make the trek north. What a wonderful track. The socal tracks are great but after your 60th run at Buttonwillow it might be time for a change in venue. ;)

Nice smooth lapping by the way. I'll need to study your tape more before I make the trip. Thanks for the vid!

GokuSSJ4
06-22-2006, 10:14 AM
I REALLY need to make the trek north. What a wonderful track. The socal tracks are great but after your 60th run at Buttonwillow it might be time for a change in venue. ;)

Nice smooth lapping by the way. I'll need to study your tape more before I make the trip. Thanks for the vid!

yeah, i think it is time to try something new.. i might go for BW this fall ... time to save some money to purchase tons of brakes, tires and all the things i might need

Richard EVO
06-22-2006, 10:36 AM

too bad that track is 7.5hrs away from L.A.
it was a blast to do a track day at T-hill

I won't go to T-hill for a one-day event, it's just too far. But groups like NCRC and TrackMasters do weekends there from time to time. I'm looking forward to finding a 2-day event at T-hill this year.

[p]dOG.
06-22-2006, 11:23 AM

I would take the swearing over the rocks lol BTW sweet vid and the image is ohh soo clear that camera rocks!

ebevo
06-22-2006, 01:28 PM
nice and clear vid...got me pumped after watching it O0

is your mod list current...nice to see what ~300 whp can do...i was guessing it was alot more than that...looked as if your car hauled ass like a beast :coolsmiley:

earlyapex
06-22-2006, 01:46 PM
nice and clear vid...got me pumped after watching it O0

is your mod list current...nice to see what ~300 whp can do...i was guessing it was alot more than that...looked as if your car hauled ass like a beast :coolsmiley:

yea, same power mods. 320whp Mustang dyno on 100 octane. I'm told 320 on this dyno can run 11's.

silvery_eagle
06-22-2006, 01:56 PM
yea after you passed those cars... i can start hearing the tires squeel again... O0

Absinthe
06-22-2006, 02:07 PM

yeah, i think it is time to try something new.. i might go for BW this fall ... time to save some money to purchase tons of brakes, tires and all the things i might need

I ran that track fine on Pads, lines, and fluid, get some brake ducts and quit throwing parts at your driving.

bogey8
06-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Awesome video...awesome driving.

Thanks for giving us ideas on how to take better in-car videos with your setup.

EVO Neil
06-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Clean lines, smooth minimum hand movement on the wheel, nice job! That, my friends, is a goooooood drivin'. Thanks for sharing the video.

earlyapex
06-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Clean lines, smooth minimum hand movement on the wheel, nice job! That, my friends, is a goooooood drivin'. Thanks for sharing the video.

Thanks Neil. The video however did make me realize I curl my thumbs on the wheel too much. Bad habit. :buck2:

slider
06-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Real nice vid's.* That hand crank in the viper was blocking you from making a pass the first couple laps.* WHAT A DORK!* Nice lines-from my experience anyhow-especially thru turn 6 O0.* Getting that turn right, and being consistant, still elude me and T-hill is prolly my favorite track.* Thanks for posting.

earlyapex
06-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Real nice vid's.* That hand crank in the viper was blocking you from making a pass the first couple laps.* WHAT A DORK!* Nice lines-from my experience anyhow-especially thru turn 6 O0.* Getting that turn right, and being consistant, still elude me and T-hill is prolly my favorite track.* Thanks for posting.

Thanks Kent, means alot coming from you!

Yea turn 6 is hard to get perfect, it's funny because it seems like such a simple turn. Turn 1 and 8 I can take much faster but I like driving home with my daily driver in one piece.

Btw, I learned that line through turn 3 from watching one of your vids. ;)

GokuSSJ4
06-22-2006, 06:38 PM

I ran that track fine on Pads, lines, and fluid, get some brake ducts and quit throwing parts at your driving.

those are the things that i need... i keep running out of pads and tires (after several track days) not fun :(

earlyapex
06-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Added two new vids:

A couple warm up laps with traffic:
http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/video/thunderhill/061906/thill_warmuplaps/

Two semifast laps:
http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/video/thunderhill/061906/thill_semifast2laps/

knuxevolution
06-22-2006, 08:13 PM
what tires were you using at thunderhill?

Richard EVO
06-22-2006, 09:25 PM
As everybody else said, GREAT VIDEO!!!

It's great for 2 reasons: (1) Your driving.* You obviously have run T-hill many times, your lines are perfect, and you know how to move an EVO around that track very quickly.* Your speed in the tight corners has a lot to do with your overtaking all the other cars.* (2) Your video set-up.* I have seen so many crappy in-car videos on the net because of poor camera placement, etc., but yours is terrific!* I'd like to know what kind of camera you use, and more importantly, exactly how you have it mounted.* Thanks, dude.* O0

evobeaner
06-22-2006, 11:15 PM
don't you hate the average vette/viper drivers with average skills. the damn viper driver was being an ass taking defensive lines like that. i admire your restraint to not make an aggressive pass on him. i would have tried to overtake him as soon as he pissed me off. you are very smooth with nice lines. how much track experience do you have bud.

earlyapex
06-23-2006, 10:01 AM
As everybody else said, GREAT VIDEO!!!

It's great for 2 reasons: (1) Your driving. You obviously have run T-hill many times, your lines are perfect, and you know how to move an EVO around that track very quickly. Your speed in the tight corners has a lot to do with your overtaking all the other cars. (2) Your video set-up. I have seen so many crappy in-car videos on the net because of poor camera placement, etc., but yours is terrific! I'd like to know what kind of camera you use, and more importantly, exactly how you have it mounted. Thanks, dude. O0

Thanks richard. I'll have to take a photo of where the cam is mounted on my rollbar when I mount it for the next event. It's basically right in the middle of the car on the rollbar. I am actually go to try out some other angles as well including one out the side window.

For Camera info, check some posts back in this thread.

Miss Evo8
06-23-2006, 10:02 AM
nice track....GO EVO GO!!!!!!

I miss the track.... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

earlyapex
06-23-2006, 10:02 AM
what tires were you using at thunderhill?

255/40/17 Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. Grip like RA1's, much wider then normal 255's, much stiffer sidewall then RA1's but unfortunatly cost way too much money.

NMREJ6
06-23-2006, 11:05 AM
very nice videos. This makes a noob like me learn even more. O0

bogey8
06-23-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't know if this was asked before...what suspension setup do you have?

earlyapex
06-23-2006, 11:25 AM
I don't know if this was asked before...what suspension setup do you have?

Apexi ExV coilovers
Whiteline rear sway
rear lower arm bushings

ebevo
06-23-2006, 09:45 PM
thanx for posting more vids O0

smokd
06-23-2006, 10:25 PM
nice driving man

ranmonbu
06-23-2006, 11:16 PM
earlyapex...I truly enjoyed the quality of your driving, as well as the quality of your videos...TOP NOTCH...exceptionally clean.* Very cool to earn kudos from Kent for your lines.* Looks like you OWNED T-Hill that day.* Were there any worthy challengers? Are the Pilot Sport Cups your personal favorite/fastest track tires?* You said they are wider than regular 255/40-17s.* What wheel specs do you run them on?* Did you have to roll your fenders or do any mods to fit them?

nj1266
06-24-2006, 12:00 AM
Very good driving and video quality. This video brought back memories of my only time at TH. That was in my second season in the SE-R Cup racing with NASA. My best time was a 2:08.xx IIRC. I loved the track, but hated the towing from Long Beach. Took us 7-8 hrs to get there.

One thing I noticed is that you shifted into 5th on the front and back straights since you have an MR. Do yout hink that a 5 speed 03-05 EVO must shift into 5th or can it run the track in 4th gear?

earlyapex
06-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Are the Pilot Sport Cups your personal favorite/fastest track tires? You said they are wider than regular 255/40-17s. What wheel specs do you run them on? Did you have to roll your fenders or do any mods to fit them?

The Sport Cups grip like RA1s but have a much stiffer sidewall which is nice to have. That's always been my one beef with RA1s. They are for sure wider then their 255/40/17 stat. Their sectional width is close to the sectional width of a 275/40/17 RA1. I had to roll my rear fenders alot for them to clear. I run 17x9 +35 5zigen FN1OR-C. Unfortunatly these will probably be the last set of Sport Cups I use since they cost $250 :-o each in this size. I will be more then likely running 275/40/17 Toyo RA1s next.

One thing I noticed is that you shifted into 5th on the front and back straights since you have an MR. Do yout hink that a 5 speed 03-05 EVO must shift into 5th or can it run the track in 4th gear?

With good exit speed and decent horsepower, a 03-05 5-spd EVO would most likely have to shift into 5th at the very end of the front straight since you can reach 130-135mph there.

trinydex
07-18-2006, 12:19 AM
i was so going to say fk yo flash vid... then you let me dl the big version... yay.