View Full Version : Big Willow July 1 & 2 -- SpeedVentures

Richard EVO
06-26-2006, 06:27 AM
Who's going this weekend? :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/BigWillowMapwebsize.gif

ChrisF
06-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Wish I could go. :(

Richard, you really are hardcore if you're tracking in the summer months. I'm guessing there's some cooling mods under the hood too.

Richard EVO
06-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Yeah, the heat will be biatch. I have a PWR radiator to keep the EVO cool. I probably will be there only on Sunday July 2 due to a big project at the office that will force me to work Saturday.

Kaneto
06-26-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm signed up to go on Saturday.

GokuSSJ4
06-26-2006, 10:42 AM
way too hot in order to go to the track.... tires won't last long :-(

Evo8supercar
06-26-2006, 09:41 PM
SUNDAY ALSO

Was there last Wed, hot day, thank god for my cooling shirt.

Richard EVO
06-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Cooling shirt???

Hope to see you there, Jake. How were your laptimes last Wed.?

Evo8supercar
06-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Personal Low 1:38s and 1:35 with Robi and Me in the car three laps only.

Richard EVO
06-28-2006, 06:54 AM
What a bunch of pussies (except Jake)!!! "I'm afraid of the sun -- my EVO will melt like the wicked witch of the West" -- "I can't go out in the sun without my umbrella" -- "I don't go to the track from May to October because I might get a sunburn" -- "I chose to live in SoCal where the temps are over 100 degrees in the summer, but I am going to stay in an air conditioned mall with my thumb up my ass until November."

GIMME A BREAK, and come on out and have some fun. :2funny:

Mister
06-28-2006, 06:01 PM
OK Richard, I will go, but if I blow my engine...... you are paying for the replacement engine/stroker.....deal? :uglystupid2:

Richard EVO
06-28-2006, 07:25 PM
OK Richard, I will go, but if I blow my engine...... you are paying for the replacement engine/stroker.....deal? :uglystupid2:

No. I will not indemnify your losses. Why is your engine so fragile that it can't run in 100 degree heat?

Evo8supercar
06-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Engines blow up because of high boost combination with a heat.
I am only running 19 PSI and use 100 or 110 octane.
Just watch your temperature leaving turn nine as a habit and you will be fine.

Hi Richard,

Nice turbo kit, was at RRE today, looks like you will have more HP now than my car.

Richard EVO
06-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Jake -

Cool. I got a new PWR radiator recently, which should help out on hot days too. Looking forward to running the Big Track this Sunday. The Time Attack should be a blast.

CICreations
06-29-2006, 10:06 AM
What a bunch of pussies (except Jake)!!! "I'm afraid of the sun -- my EVO will melt like the wicked witch of the West" -- "I can't go out in the sun without my umbrella" -- "I don't go to the track from May to October because I might get a sunburn" -- "I chose to live in SoCal where the temps are over 100 degrees in the summer, but I am going to stay in an air conditioned mall with my thumb up my ass until November."

GIMME A BREAK, and come on out and have some fun. :2funny:

Wow, so does that mean that you don't have AC in your home? Since you choose to live where it's +100 during the summer? LOL
Nah bro, it's freakin hot out there on that black top. I was there in last May and it was 116 on the blacktop. I can't even imagine what's it will be with it's 110 outside in July. Better take some water! Make sure you take some good pics and post them up!

-Be safe

Richard EVO
07-01-2006, 12:01 AM
I will be at Big Willow both days this weekend with my new secret weapon. Look out. :coolsmiley:

ChrisF
07-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Richard. Saw your car at RRE yesterday. Very nice secret weapon. Let us know how you like it. ;)

Richard EVO
07-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Really fun event. Jake was there, and Jason from WA state with his IX MR plus about 5 other EVOs.

The secret weapon is a Garrett 3076 turbo, with a custom manifold and all the trimmings. Frankly, I'm a bit dissapointed. I think it needs more tuning to be optimized.

A good tim was had by all.

ChrisF
07-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Richard, were you running on 91 or C16? *From the dyno sheet I saw on one of the other RRE turbo kit cars, you were either running on 91 or have become extremely jaded with power :D

JL01
07-03-2006, 01:00 AM
A 3076 Evo 8 RS? What kind of times did it put up? I assume the suspension has been reworked.

Richard EVO
07-03-2006, 06:55 AM
I always run 100 octane unleaded -- track or street.

Richard EVO
07-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Here are some pics taken by another driver at Big Willow last Sunday (7/2/06):

Me on the front straight
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/EVOwsirfrontstraight.jpg

Jason's GG MR and me in the paddock
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/EVOsatBigTrack7-2-06.jpg

Jake's red 550 whp RS lined up for time attack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/JakeEVOWSIR.jpg

Me passing a 350Z on the front straight like it was standing still
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/EVORSpassing350Z.jpg

Jake on the front straight
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/JakefrontstraightWSIR.jpg

Another driver working on his Speed Gallery MR
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/JasonEVOwsir.jpg

The Ferrari I was chasing when I ran my best lap of the weekend -- I stayed with him for 3 or 4 laps until an intercooler hose popped off and I had to pit.* We were pretty evenly matched -- my best lap time in that session was 4/10s of a second better than his, so I closed a little, but I didn't have time to pass him.* I caught up to him in the Omega, and he pulled away in turns 8 and 9.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/WSIRFerrari.jpg

ChrisF
07-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Richard, what kind of times did you do?

Richard EVO
07-08-2006, 12:18 PM
My personal best on the Big Track as Willow Springs is 1:37.3, which I ran on a stock turbo in mid-April at the Open Track Racing event. The weather was fairly cool that day. On July 1 & 2 it was much hotter (around 100 degrees). I was hoping to get into the 1:35s with my new Garrett 3076 Turbo, but with the hot weather and the conservative tuning I requested for the new turbo, I didn't come close. The best lap I ran last Sunday was 1:39.2 while chasing the red Ferrari 360. I always run my best lap times chasing someone who is a little faster than me. I find it difficult to break off fast laps when running alone, like in the Time Attack.

ChrisF
07-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Same for me. When chasing cars, my laptimes seem to improve. Go figure. :)

How was the turbo at the track? I'm considering it for my car as well, but am a little worried about the added lag. I'm guessing on BW, it didn't come into play much. Congrats on some good times.

Richard EVO
07-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Same for me. When chasing cars, my laptimes seem to improve. Go figure. :)

How was the turbo at the track? I'm considering it for my car as well, but am a little worried about the added lag. I'm guessing on BW, it didn't come into play much. Congrats on some good times.

I think there is a little more lag, so that with the Garrett, you are on full boost from about 5000 rpm to the redline, while with the stock turbo, you are on full boost from about 4000 rpm to the redline. This creates a problem in Turn 1 at Big Willow, which I consider the most important turn on the track (rather than Turn 9 which everyone else talks about). If you brake at the end of the front straight, shift down from 5th to 4th and turn in, at least for me the revs dropped too low in 4th gear and I had some lag as I was accelerating through and out of Turn 1 with the 3076. The alternative is to downshift from 5th to 3rd going into turn 1, but that requires scrubbing off more speed, which is bad for taking Turn 1 fast. If I improve my heel-and-toe technique (I'm lousy at it), maybe that would solve the problem.

I didn't notice the lag being a problem anywhere else at Big Willow (don't use the abbreviation "BW" because that could be Buttonwillow.)

WavMixer
07-08-2006, 03:56 PM
* I always run my best lap times chasing someone who is a little faster than me.* I find it difficult to break off fast laps when running alone...
I am the same way. I find myself cruising when alone on the big track, but when I spot someone ahead of me in the distance, I give it 110% to catch up and pass the objective. I go into hunt mode not unlike ChrisF's avatar. The big track is so much more fun when you have someone to play with* O0

Evo8supercar
07-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Nice photos thanks,

By the way my car is back to stock turbo and aint no more 550WHP more like 360 RELIABLE whp.