PDA

View Full Version : to cat-delete or not cat-delete.. that is the ultimate question.

lznk41
07-03-2006, 12:25 AM
ok ive read enough threads but i want this one thread to be the one to end all cat-delete questions:

1.) we live in the most STRICT state when it comes to smog - emissions testing. I plan on going back to stock if i ever get caught with a tbe, but the main question i have is.. is it worth running? i live in the inland empire and cops barely harass me and im almost sure that an underbody check is probably going to be skipped.

2.) ive been hearing and reading things about mobile emissions checkpoints but have failed to see any around. should i be scared if i were running a catless tbe? and what COULD be the consequences.

i am really debating if i want to run a cat-delete, hfc, or just plain gut-the-old-cat technique. living in cali sucks with these ghey rules. please help >:( any personal experiences would help as well.

wj4
07-03-2006, 12:39 AM
i went with a hi flow cat because i didnt want to get the CEL. you can run the o2 simulator as well if you wish to run a test pipe to avoid the CEL.
either way, it is illegal to alter or change anything before the cat....

JL01
07-03-2006, 12:42 AM
I would vote high-flow, it's just not worth it to run a test pipe on the street in California.

TrickedOutEVOVIII
07-03-2006, 01:03 AM
lance...DO IT!

T

speedracer2169
07-03-2006, 01:09 AM
If you do get caught up at a checkpoint they cannot detain you. You can tell them that you have somewhere mportant to be but you will be more than happy to have your car inspected by a ref and they will just write you up to see a ref

Evoegg
07-03-2006, 01:30 AM
I went Test pipe at the first, then changed it to HFC.....

If you dont have a cat, cops can give you a minimun fine of $2000 and all the way up to impound your car (in Cali thru). and IMO 10whp isnt worth the risk.

And when you are running a test pipe.... Cops dont even have to LOOK under the car to notice it. They can as easy as just SMELL it.

Last, your City might be mods friendly. But CHP is everywhere on the freeway.... well unless you aint taking the freeway.

Evoegg

CJexJiggy
07-03-2006, 01:46 AM
Iznk41 get a RRE cat...dont ask me wut it is- just look it up. you'll be happy w/ it

CJexJiggy
07-03-2006, 01:53 AM
I went Test pipe at the first, then changed it to HFC.....

If you dont have a cat, cops can give you a minimun fine of $2000 and all the way up to impound your car (in Cali thru). and IMO 10whp isnt worth the risk.

And when you are running a test pipe.... Cops dont even have to LOOK under the car to notice it. They can as easy as just SMELL it.

Last, your City might be mods friendly. But CHP is everywhere on the freeway.... well unless you aint taking the freeway.

Evoegg
wut are the chances of a CHP pulling you over for NOT having a "cat"?? The only reason why any CHP would pull you over would be for other obvious reasons right (speeding, tint, ect...)? But wut are the chances of a cop knowing your NOT running a "cat"? Well they can smell it or they can look under your car right? but how many of them actually do that? 10 out of- say....5?

airforce1
07-03-2006, 02:26 AM
I had a HFC but went test pipe/cat delete recently thanks to Al @ TT. Actaully, I don't really smell any fumes at all and that is even when I am standing next to the exhaust. It is obviously noisier but most likely any cop that pulls you over (if they do) will cite you for a modified exhaust.

If this happens, I will simply place a silence on when I take it to the ref so I can be below 95 db. Simple.

Chris in SD
07-03-2006, 03:31 AM
Don't forget the mobile "sniffer" stations, the fact that ALL police are getting more educated on vehicle mods, and the aforementioned harsh penalties. Is it really worth it? I personally don't think so.

gt40
07-03-2006, 04:34 AM
The stink wears on you after a while. You say it doesn't stink now but IT DOES. You will be less thrilled about that a year from now even if you don't get a crazy multi k smog ticket. The fact that you could and the stink= I put a hfc on and make enough power with it + car is quieter. Don't see the point when I can just turn the boost up a 1/4 turn and make the same power...

DC_TypeR
07-03-2006, 07:07 AM
The pro's
$60.00 test pipe = 10 hp
can simply be replaced with a HFC (bolt on) if you need to smog or even pass a DB test

The con's
It DOES smell, i've ran cat-less on ALL of my cars, and I still notice the smell.
It is louder for DB testing purposes
The ticket is VERY exspensive

Don't make your decision based on what other people tend to type in messadeboardland
There not gonna be the ones paying for that ticket if you get fined with no cat.

Be safe, and run a HFC, if you need to extract that last bit of HP, run a test pipe but still keep your HFC, or stock cat in-case you get rolled.

-Chris

Blaze
07-03-2006, 07:50 AM
With the rate people are getting pulled over lately, it's up to you to decide if it's worth the risk. Technically, you can be impounded for not running a cat. It doesn't happen very often, but at the bare minimum, you'll bee taking a trip to the state ref (which means a lot of work going back to stock...ALL THE WAY back to stock.

And all for a 5-15 WHP gain that you only really needed AT the track or ON the strip.

Looking at it from a high level, I don't see the logic in it. But speaking from personal experience, it's hard to take off, once you've had it on.

*Poll added

DTunedEvoX
07-03-2006, 08:13 AM
I run a RRE Rally Cat myself ...

Blaze
07-03-2006, 08:29 AM
I run a RRE Rally Cat myself ...

Even with the faked cats, cops are not trained to find these.
It's a no brainer to assume you're catless when he/she tails your for a mile or two.
You know you're in for it when they walk up to your window with red eyes and or tears.

"Uh no officer. That heat sheild really IS a functioning cat. Maybe you're smelling the Prius that was in front of me."

Blaze
07-03-2006, 08:37 AM
. .
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/que_rayo_punta/eduardo.jpg
I like potatoes

wj4
07-03-2006, 08:48 AM
With the rate people are getting pulled over lately, it's up to you to decide if it's worth the risk. Technically, you can be impounded for not running a cat. It doesn't happen very often, but at the bare minimum, you'll bee taking a trip to the state ref (which means a lot of work going back to stock...ALL THE WAY back to stock.

And all for a 5-15 WHP gain that you only really needed AT the track or ON the strip.

Looking at it from a high level, I don't see the logic in it. But speaking from personal experience, it's hard to take off, once you've had it on.

*Poll added

just wondering, can you pass the test with a downpipe, hi flow cat, and catback at a ref station?

Macky
07-03-2006, 08:58 AM

*Poll added

just wondering, can you pass the test with a downpipe, hi flow cat, and catback at a ref station?

you might pass the sniffer, but you will fail if (and they will) they inspect you visually.

there are no CARB legal downpipes and technically you shouldnt replace/remove a functioning OEM cat. the catback doesnt matter.

Dagul
07-03-2006, 09:21 AM
. .
I like potatoes

You always come up with great captions...

*Poll added

you might pass the sniffer, but you will fail if (and they will) they inspect you visually.

there are no CARB legal downpipes and technically you shouldnt replace/remove a functioning OEM cat. the catback doesnt matter.

True, but most people change out downpipes anyway... It's not that bad after doing it a couple times... It's also true that you shouldn't replace a functioning cat but can be replaced in an event that you fail emissions testing because of it.

I guess a legal solution would be to undo the top clutch switch and force the car to run lean enough to burn the cat... Fail an emissions test and replace the stocker with a 43000 series magnaflow hi-flow cat. Or stay stock upstream... :grin:

touchmyjagee
07-03-2006, 11:58 AM
save the environment. run hfc. :)

GOOSE_Ej
07-03-2006, 12:02 PM
personally i love my cat delete test pipe and ive never looked back..

speedracer2169
07-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Wait i wasn on optauto yesterday and the have a HFC that has carb exemption on it. they have a 2.5" and 3" HFC

Dagul
07-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Yeah, but no CARB-EO to refer to... Like they say, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is..."

nj1266
07-03-2006, 02:50 PM
I am not hating on those who run catless on the street, but what is the logic of doing so? Why do you want the extra hp on the street? The only reason I see is street racing which really dangerous.

If you are heading to the track or to a shop to tune your Evo, then by all means run a test pipe. But for daily driving you are putting yourself in jeopardy (tickets, impound) and polluting the environment. A HFC probably loses 10 hp to a straight pipe, but it gives you peace of mind and helps the environment.

Evolution22plus1
07-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Personally I see NO point in getting a DP and keeping a cat, the HP gains come from removing the cat.

leaveit2bevo
07-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Personally I see NO point in getting a DP and keeping a cat, the HP gains come from removing the cat.

really so the the bigger pipping is useless? catbacks are worthless also I hear.

EVO Neil
07-03-2006, 03:38 PM

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Don't be stupid and pollute, it's not worth it! Are you really going to miss the extra 10 or less horsepower on the street? No, I didn't think so. And for those of you who say remove it, please give me a logical reason to do so. I said logical. Yeah, didn't think so.

Even installing a HFC is technically illegal if some of you would read the law, but it's better than nothing. Works can take your stock catalytic and change the inch inlet/outlet to three inch, maybe the best of both worlds.

Macky
07-03-2006, 05:14 PM

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Don't be stupid and pollute, it's not worth it! Are you really going to miss the extra 10 or less horsepower on the street? No, I didn't think so. And for those of you who say remove it, please give me a logical reason to do so. I said logical. Yeah, didn't think so.

Even installing a HFC is technically illegal if some of you would read the law, but it's better than nothing. Works can take your stock catalytic and change the inch inlet/outlet to three inch, maybe the best of both worlds.

i still run the stock cat. and for the record, am not pleased that my brother runs without one.

that said, i dont "feel" any difference between our cars. it depends on your mods really and how good you pick the right parts that work well together.

evomrguy
07-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Well as for a logical reason I have one. The egts are higher with more restriciton in the exhaust stream. With a hfc while minimal it is a restriction and for those running there car on the edge with 91 octane anything to keep the car in check helps. And before you say theres no need to run so hard on a daily driver set up. But some people dont want to switch back and forth for track days or weekend fun, and so you have on eset up with one tune and some are happy that way, more power is fun. Im not saying its right to run a test pipe or a hfc. According to the law you cant have anything other than the stock cat on your car until its out of factory emissions warranty. But the test pipe will give you the most repeatable runs and max power, the hfc doesnt cost you a ton of hp and keeps the environment healthier, but you still lose hp and it can still melt if ran hard all the time which can plug up the exhaust and cause all sorts of bs problems. So really its your call in the end. I do agree with jason though. Once you have gone from hfc to tp, it is damn hard to ever want to switch back.

Dagul
07-03-2006, 05:51 PM

Potatoes and quick release V band clamps sounds a good comprimise... :grin:

Takes the headache out of dorking around with bolts... Don't even need a jack to get to it... Just drive up a sidewalk on 2 wheels if you need room to reach... :2funny:

JDMC-WestEVO
07-03-2006, 06:40 PM
i run test pipe and the cops are too stupid or just lazy and dont notice.... they bitch at me about the noise but most wont want to put the effort to fight me on paper work. i love my test pipe!!! plus if some douche bag is tail gating me i just punch it and let him breathe deep hahaha enjoy

EVO Neil
07-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Well as for a logical reason I have one. The egts are higher with more restriciton in the exhaust stream. With a hfc while minimal it is a restriction and for those running there car on the edge with 91 octane anything to keep the car in check helps. And before you say theres no need to run so hard on a daily driver set up. But some people dont want to switch back and forth for track days or weekend fun, and so you have on eset up with one tune and some are happy that way, more power is fun. Im not saying its right to run a test pipe or a hfc. According to the law you cant have anything other than the stock cat on your car until its out of factory emissions warranty. But the test pipe will give you the most repeatable runs and max power, the hfc doesnt cost you a ton of hp and keeps the environment healthier, but you still lose hp and it can still melt if ran hard all the time which can plug up the exhaust and cause all sorts of bs problems. So really its your call in the end. I do agree with jason though. Once you have gone from hfc to tp, it is damn hard to ever want to switch back.

Like I said logical and your logic is flawed. Tell me the percent of the time your car is run on the track compared to daily street driving? I'd say for most people it's going to be 10/90 which means for the 10% of the time you run on the track 90% of the time you're just polluting. Most people probably track their car 4-6 times a year which would work out to less than 10/90% split I used as an example, so for most you are just polluting to pollute and using the track explanation as a piss-poor excuse. A better solution was mentioned by Dagul, having quick release V band clamps installed on a catalytic and dedicated tune for such purposes. But to run around 100% of the time polluting for the 10% or less you spend on the track is total BS. Myth busted! Still waiting for a logical explanation...

Blaze
07-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Still waiting for a logical explanation...

This chick was digging on me and I was about to get her number.
She asked if I ran a cat and I had to think quick.
"Yes," I said (guessing she was a tree humping environmentalist)
Buzzzz. Wrong answer.

And to this day, I'm still a virgin.

Blaze
07-03-2006, 07:11 PM
:angel:
Just kidding.

My car is more smog friendly then a Ford.
Ford being a zero emissions car since they rarely run.
O0

JDMC-WestEVO
07-03-2006, 07:15 PM
i dont really care about showing logic i want my 10 whp lol every little bit helps 10whp is alot if you really kno ur stuff about cars. the more the marrier

EVO Neil
07-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Still waiting for a logical explanation...

This chick was digging on me and I was about to get her number.
She asked if I ran a cat and I had to think quick.
"Yes," I said (guessing she was a tree humping environmentalist)
Buzzzz. Wrong answer.

And to this day, I'm still a virgin.

Don't get me wrong I love my Evo and I love horsepower, but in this day and age you can have both. But as you can tell I still believe in running clean. It's the only planet that mankind knows of that we can live on and we're f'-ing it up. Where do we go if we totally screw it up? Besides It's not my kids we are leaving this planet to it's yours.* :knuppel2:

Blaze sorry to hear about the virginity thing... :2funny:

EVO Neil
07-03-2006, 07:20 PM
i dont really care about showing logic i want my 10 whp lol every little bit helps 10whp is alot if you really kno ur stuff about cars. the more the marrier

Yeah, I don't really know anything about cars... ;)

nj1266
07-03-2006, 07:49 PM

10 hp on a turbo car in NOTHING. I would agree with you if this was an NA car, but it is not. One day a smart cop will pull you over and you will get a huge fine and get your car impounded. Maybe that is the only logic you understand. As Evo Neil has pointed out, there is no reason to run catless on the street.

atlvalet
07-03-2006, 07:59 PM
If you insist on running a test pipe on your daily driver that means you value 10 hp more than you do the planet. Yeah, that makes sense.

JDMC-WestEVO
07-03-2006, 10:21 PM
do u have any idea how many other cars polute so much more than a few evos without cats for example DIESELS.....do u have any idea how much they polute... running cat less isnt that big of a deal its not gonna kill the environment.

speedracer2169
07-03-2006, 10:29 PM
do u have any idea how many other cars polute so much more than a few evos without cats for example DIESELS.....do u have any idea how much they polute... running cat less isnt that big of a deal its not gonna kill the environment.

yet we bitch and complain about the heat and how our air quality is shit. It's real simple If you knowingly and willingly accept the consequence of running a test pipe hey more power to you O0 but don't be coming on here posting a WTB stock cat cuz you got popped and bitching for your own actions. MOD YOUR CAR RESPONSIBLY

lznk41
07-03-2006, 11:10 PM
thanks everyone for ur input. now these posts have me asking another question. (i know i ask a lot of questions)

1.) which hfc is best? i know this question is vague... but im leaning more towards price wise. reason is that i was looking into test pipes because it seems like with the test pipes, less money = more power. the rre rally cat?? is just too expensive!! just for a cat replacement u pay 3-4x as much. but since i dont want to bother with cops as they are very bored around my area and just love tailgating me.. ive decided to go with the hfc.

can someone list them? and maybe give preferences or recommendations. thanks everyone for ur inputs.

wj4
07-03-2006, 11:14 PM
try looking at the for sale forum, you can find deals on every now and then.
my hfc is from ultimate racing which i got from lancershop for a little more than $150

nj1266
07-04-2006, 08:21 AM
thanks everyone for ur input. now these posts have me asking another question. (i know i ask a lot of questions)

1.) which hfc is best? i know this question is vague... but im leaning more towards price wise. reason is that i was looking into test pipes because it seems like with the test pipes, less money = more power. the rre rally cat?? is just too expensive!! just for a cat replacement u pay 3-4x as much. but since i dont want to bother with cops as they are very bored around my area and just love tailgating me.. ive decided to go with the hfc.

can someone list them? and maybe give preferences or recommendations. thanks everyone for ur inputs.

IIRC, the RRE Rally Cat is NOT a Cat. It looks like a Cat. It is a resonated test pipe of some sort. You need to get a true HFC. Ultimate Racing is what most people who run HFC get. There are more expensive ones out there like the Helix.

speedracer2169
07-04-2006, 08:29 AM
http://randomtechnology.com/mitsubishi.html

http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RT-14-130007

This design, which meets Federal EPA and California ARB requirements, enables virtually any vehicle with a properly tuned engine to meet emissions standards with little, if any power loss (compared to an exhaust with no catalytic converter). Please note that it is illegal to remove a properly functioning catalytic converter and that aftermarket catalytic converters are not legal for installation in California on OBD II vehicles (some 1994 & 1995, and all 1996 and later vehicles). Under Federal EPA regulation, replacement of original catalytic converters is allowed only if the original converter(s) is missing, or the vehicle has more than 50,000 miles or is at least five years old and the need for a replacement has been established and documented, or a local inspection program has determined the existing converter is in need of replacement.

Chris in SD
07-04-2006, 08:29 AM

Using your logic, no one will use a cat... which in turn WILL cause serious problems with the environment. *That said, I've been a lot of places in the world, and other than Europe and select Asian countries, NO ONE cares about pollution from vehicles. *Again, I don't see that as an excuse to be a gross polluter just for the sake of being "cool" with no cat.

EVO Neil
07-04-2006, 09:19 AM
http://randomtechnology.com/mitsubishi.html

http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RT-14-130007

This design, which meets Federal EPA and California ARB requirements, enables virtually any vehicle with a properly tuned engine to meet emissions standards with little, if any power loss (compared to an exhaust with no catalytic converter). Please note that it is illegal to remove a properly functioning catalytic converter and that aftermarket catalytic converters are not legal for installation in California on OBD II vehicles (some 1994 & 1995, and all 1996 and later vehicles). Under Federal EPA regulation, replacement of original catalytic converters is allowed only if the original converter(s) is missing, or the vehicle has more than 50,000 miles or is at least five years old and the need for a replacement has been established and documented, or a local inspection program has determined the existing converter is in need of replacement.

Thanks for printing the law that those replacing or removing a catalytic ignore, then they come on this board and whine when they get the expensive ticket or worse.

Dagul
07-04-2006, 11:42 AM
That goes back to my previous statement of running lean enough to melt your cat and fail an emissions test to legally replace your cat with a high flow unit...

Or, install v-flanges in place and use quick release v-band clamps to swap out to a testpipe on track days and whatnot...

No need to be polluting 365 days a year....

As for that statement of diesels, at a convention I went to in feb. About the upcoming release of bio fuels. By modifying the way the diesel is processed, they are able to make deisel a cleaner burning fuel compared to regular gasoline...

You guys may be saying, fuck the environment now. What will you tell your children or grandchildren? Let's fuck up our planet even more for 10 more whp?

With that kind of thinking, there might not be a planet left to have track days on for future generations...

evomrguy
07-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Not to mention a diesel pollutes, but not to the extent I think that one guy was reffering to. The black smoke we see when a diesel floors it is carbon particulate. Which unless inhaled directly by you falls to the floor and is harmless. Its the gases we cant see that hurt us so much. Most diesel have had no cat on them to this day from the factory. Mainly due to the fact that they dont pollute much in the way of harming the environment. They make it look dirtier but it doesnt affect greenhouse gases as much as say an evo.

However Neil, you stated to show logic. While to you my logic is flawed, to me it is not. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean it isnt the way it is. While I went on a long rant about not having a cat. The only one point I used to justify not having a cat was lowering the egt temps. While I agree the only time you should be worried about it is on track days, not all of us drive llike well mannered citizens in our cars day in and day out. I dont use my car as my daily transportation so when I am in it I enjoy every minute of it. Now I am the first one to tell you that I drive like an asshole, and the second to tell you will be anyone from a 909 meet. But it is what it is. And that was why I gave to you the point of lowering egts, its over 100 degrees on any given day when Ive been out driving in the 909 and let me tell you that I feel more comfortable having no cat, and bonus for better spool time and more hp. While I agree from your standpoint that my reasoning is complete rubbish, its what Im sticking by.

wj4
07-04-2006, 05:20 PM
and other than Europe and select Asian countries, NO ONE cares about pollution from vehicles
seriously, man. during visiting my family in thailand, every thing on the road was leaving trails of smog and the yucky smell of no cats were present in a lot of cars.

airforce1
07-04-2006, 06:57 PM
MOST of us have aftermarket exhausts with HFC = illegal
Some of us have test pipes = illegal

The level of hypocrisy on this thread amazes me. We drive a TURBO, AWD car getting less MPG than 70- 80% of the cars in LA and you guys cry foul on cat deletes?

See you guys at the Prius dealer.....

Chris in SD
07-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Some of us have test pipes* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * = illegal

The level of hypocrisy on this thread amazes me.* We drive a TURBO, AWD car getting less MPG than 70- 80% of the cars in LA and you guys cry foul on cat deletes?*

If I'm not mistaken, the stock Evo is an LEV. This thread isn't about MPG, but about pollution. No one here is complaining/debating/considering gas mileage, strictly the advantages to power vs. disadvantages to the environment by running catless. As far as most running HFCs, I doubt that highly. I bet more people have hi-po cams than have HFCs.

Dagul
07-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Some of us have test pipes = illegal

The level of hypocrisy on this thread amazes me. We drive a TURBO, AWD car getting less MPG than 70- 80% of the cars in LA and you guys cry foul on cat deletes?

I want whatever this guy is smoking... I didn't even know that MPG was a concern in this debate about cats, HFC, and testpipes... :2funny:

I still say run V-band flanges and quick release clamps on any choice of catylist and a test pipe and swap out for track days...

airforce1
07-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Some of us have test pipes* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * = illegal

The level of hypocrisy on this thread amazes me.* We drive a TURBO, AWD car getting less MPG than 70- 80% of the cars in LA and you guys cry foul on cat deletes?*

If I'm not mistaken, the stock Evo is an LEV. This thread isn't about MPG, but about pollution. No one here is complaining/debating/considering gas mileage, strictly the advantages to power vs. disadvantages to the environment by running catless. As far as most running HFCs, I doubt that highly. I bet more people have hi-po cams than have HFCs.

How can you NOT connect fuel mileage and pollution?* More fuel burned = more emissions, especially when you boost/get WOT/race (insert car) whatever.* Show me an Evo owner who doesn't do this.

Chris, you are correct.* The stock EVO is a LEV, but who really is stock here?* Once modded (cams, HFC, test pipe)* the Evo ceases to be classified as a LEV.*

Nothing against you Chris/Dagul but if the end argument is about pollution, then people should get a hybrid and feel better about it.* Most Evo owners boost and most are modded (illegally).* So why are people pointing fingers?* Again, I declare hypocrisy.

oct7th1987
07-05-2006, 12:38 AM
hmm...

just got my downpipe and test pipe today. downpipe is megan racing... and the test pipe.. i dont know.

i put on the test pipe and i did not notice a gain in power. there was a huge gain in noise. hah.

just thought i might add to this..

Dagul
07-05-2006, 12:51 AM
I don't think you could really justify that blanket statement.

I don't think "fuck you, get a hybrid" is the end all solution...

And if you want to be an ass clown on the street with the whole "race (insert car here)" so be it. Just don't be upset when you land yourself fat ticket for street racing, modified emmisions non-correctable and whatnot...

I have more mods including a cam on my wife's car than mine and it still passes the sniffer under ULEV standards... WAY under...

So, in relation to the evo, you can work around the cat and still make good power. And just step up to a test pipe on rack days... Seriously, do you do triple digits on the city streets during your daily commute where that extra 10whp is necessary?

I know it's nothing personal, but there's gotta be a line... And no it's not no 0 to 6 prius... :2funny:

Btw, 1987, did you tune for it yet?

airforce1
07-05-2006, 01:48 AM
I don't think you could really justify that blanket statement.

I don't think "fuck you, get a hybrid" is the end all solution...

And if you want to be an ass clown on the street with the whole "race (insert car here)" so be it. Just don't be upset when you land yourself fat ticket for street racing, modified emmisions non-correctable and whatnot...

I have more mods including a cam on my wife's car than mine and it still passes the sniffer under ULEV standards... WAY under...

So, in relation to the evo, you can work around the cat and still make good power. And just step up to a test pipe on rack days... Seriously, do you do triple digits on the city streets during your daily commute where that extra 10whp is necessary?

I know it's nothing personal, but there's gotta be a line... And no it's not no 0 to 6 prius... :2funny:

Did I say "fuck you get a hybrid?"* I do not street race.* What gave you that funny idea?* I boost and WOT but that doesn't mean I street race.*

So you are stock?* Gee whiz good for you.* Funny, coming from a guy who touted Project Gen's turbo kits.*

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=36&topic=15827.msg6625463#msg6625463

And I can go on and on and on with other threads where you advised people to get ECU management, DPs, TBE, bigger turbos, etc.* So much for saving the Earth.* Anyways since you are stock I will give you a nice pat on the back and a smiley sticker.

Chris in SD
07-05-2006, 03:38 AM
I have to agree with Dagul.* I had every bolt-on you could get, fuel pump, boost controller, reflash, etc.* My car actually was cleaner on the sniffer (I know because I had to get re-smogged when I came back to CA).*

As far as consumption goes, you CANNOT relate gas mileage with pollution/emissions.* You don't know the volume of emissions contained by the cat, etc.* I guarantee it's not linear (i.e. more gas consumed = more emissions on a 1:1 scale).* The efficiency of the cat, the efficiency (burn) of the engine, etc. all will contribute to less emissions even with more consumption of fuel.

Finally, I don't think Dagul was referring to you about street racing - I think he's addressing the guys earlier in the thread complaining about their 10whp loss (which I think is debatable) if they kept their stock cats.

Dagul
07-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Air, what's really wrong? Did I say something to offend you? You seem to be taking this personal...

I defintely wasn't sporting projectGEN turbo kit, nor am I stock... And I sure as hell don't need to adverise what I have...

Is it really necessary dig up OT stuff like that? What bearing does that old thread have on deciding on running a catalyst, or testpipe?

You say you aren't pointing fingers, but you sure as hell got it pointed at me....

If anything, you're making yourself look like an ass clown being overly defensive and/or taking things really personal...

As hard as you're pushing the hybrid, you might as well be saying "fk you, get a hybrid."

I still say run any form of catalyst on the street and run a testpipe on track days... A simple compromise rather than cry foul and dig up old threads...

If it is indeed something personal, PM me...

Blaze
07-05-2006, 12:15 PM
FINALLY, a fresh quote for me

My reasoning is complete rubbish, its what Im sticking by.

lznk41
07-05-2006, 01:59 PM
wow such strong arguments for such a simple question. all i wanted to know is cat-delete or no? and if not, go with the hfc?? too many threads going wayyy outta control. neways for all the useful information from the on-topic contributers, thank you! my decision is made now :coolsmiley:

Blaze
07-05-2006, 02:08 PM
wow such strong arguments for such a simple question. all i wanted to know is cat-delete or no? and if not, go with the hfc?? too many threads going wayyy outta control. neways for all the useful information from the on-topic contributers, thank you! my decision is made now :coolsmiley:

I think you already knew the facts bro.

OEM Cat = 100% Legal
HI Flow = 50/50 Legal, more power, > noise, = pollution
Test Pipe = 100% Illegal, 10-15WHP, >> noise, pollution

If you go oem, whatever.
If you go Hi Flow, know that you still run the risk of legal issues if you are caught and sent to a ref.
If you run a test pipe, enjoy the 5WHP over a test pipe and don't come whining if you get pulled over.

Other then that, you don't need permission from us. It's your life, your car.
Glad you were able to finalize your decision.

O0

Blaze

nj1266
07-05-2006, 02:21 PM

I think you already knew the facts bro.

OEM Cat = 100% Legal
HI Flow = 50/50 Legal, more power, > noise, = pollution
Test Pipe = 100% Illegal, 10-15WHP, >> noise, pollution

If you go oem, whatever.
If you go Hi Flow, know that you still run the risk of legal issues if you are caught and sent to a ref.
If you run a test pipe, enjoy the 5WHP over a test pipe and don't come whining if you get pulled over.

Other then that, you don't need permission from us. It's your life, your car.
Glad you were able to finalize your decision.

O0

Blaze

Very well put Blaze. I know that the HFC is illegal based on the visual inspection here in CA. But the HFC, IIRC, will pass the sniffer test and will not smell for the cops to catch me. It is also as clean as the stocker cat is.

If a cop ever pulls me over (so far I have not been pulled over in the EVO), then I am way safer with my HFC than with a test pipe.

When I ran a test pipe for a while after my tune, I was always concerned everytime I saw a cop; it was nerve wrecking.

Raine3D
07-05-2006, 03:41 PM
test pipe just bad all around. Who wants to get a ticket like that.... + all that aside they are so illegal to take off for a reason.
I don’t want a 130 degree summer when Im 50..... IMO wayyy too much emissions with the test pipe. Im not an environmentalist but I sure don’t like the thought of all the negative emissions for someone that just wants a 5+ extra Hp on the streets.

evomrguy
07-05-2006, 04:13 PM
FINALLY, a fresh quote for me

My reasoning is complete rubbish, its what Im sticking by.

Way to rewrite the point of my quote and make me look like a retard.* *But as long as I can make Jasons day, than I can sleep better.

I still stand by my reasoning for doing what I do. Which is what I relayed to the original poster to give him the other side of things. I dont feel there was a good enough point made to disuade me from my original school of thought on this debate.

airforce1
07-05-2006, 04:50 PM
^^^

Agreed.* Lots of whining about the environment and people taking things too personal.* i am merely pointing out that no one is innocent when it comes to mods and pollution.* Chris, I am skeptical about your claims about lower emissions.* Are we talking about less* NO2, CO, and CO2? Lotsa threads here about modding and NOT passing the sniffer test, which I am referencing from.

EVOMRGUY, Of course Jason is at it again. *Let the nitwit place it in his sig....it sure is better than PROJECT GEN!* :2funny:

Blaze
07-05-2006, 05:00 PM
^^^

Agreed. Of course Jason is at it again. Let the nitwit place it in his sig....it sure is better than PROJECT GEN! :2funny:

Sicks and stones, baby-cakes....sticks and stones.

Raine3D
07-05-2006, 06:14 PM
hehe.. you gotta hand it to him, he got you on a good quote there lol

Blaze
07-05-2006, 06:21 PM
hehe.. you gotta hand it to him, he got you on a good quote there lol

If I didn't take it, Matt surely would have. ;)

EvoPwr
07-05-2006, 08:34 PM
back on topic, if you want the extra power, and want to pass visual...get a RRE rallicat. It is basically a resonator with a "cat-like" cover on it. There is no reason to go with the HFC over the RRE rallicat because they look almost the same, but you get more power. 5whp or more? i don't know, i have not seen dynos done back to back comparing a HFC to a test pipe, many people will say there is more than 5whp though..including me i have had the stock cat, a HFC, and RRE rallicat. I love the rallicat and wouldnt get rid of it. just make sure you keep your stock cat incase you have to go to the ref.

evomrguy
07-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Its all right, Im used to those two knuckle heads (jason and matt) ripping on me, its just jealousy anyways. ;)

Blaze
07-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Its all right, Im used to those two knuckle heads (jason and matt) ripping on me, its just jealousy anyways. ;)

If I could find a way to steal those good looks, I would, buddy. ;)

evomrguy
07-06-2006, 09:44 PM
You and everyone else my friend.

trinydex
07-08-2006, 09:04 PM
my rallycat is smelly...

TrickedOutEVOVIII
07-08-2006, 09:29 PM
my windows need windex...

evomrguy
07-09-2006, 12:01 AM
My paint needs a claybar and wax.

TheMadScientist
07-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Why not just run an electric cut out on your exhaust before the cat and have the best of both worlds?

DTunedEvoX
07-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Why not just run an electric cut out on your exhaust before the cat and have the best of both worlds?

I'd like to see you tune for that on multiple maps :B