PDA

View Full Version : Friday 8/18 Buttonwillow track day - only $175!

monkeymaker
07-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Leadfoot Adventures has a track day at Buttonwillow Raceway on Friday August 18th.* Reg is cheap at only $175 for the people who sign up early.* This event will sell out though, so you might want to register pretty quick.* Click here to sign-up. (http://www.motorsportreg.com/calendar/event.cfm?uidEvent=2330E876-AB3D-C67A-56B70BB5D6928B69")

If you’ve never done a track day before and you’re curious about what it would be like to drive your Evo on a real racetrack, this event is for you!* Seasoned drivers are definitely welcome in the faster intermediate and advanced sessions, but the newest drivers will get special attention.* Leadfoot Adventures has a great group of very experienced drivers who will be instructing the rookies both in classroom sessions and out on track.* Check out the “Rookie Jump Start” page at leadfootadventures.com (http://www.leadfootadventures.com) for more info if you’re new to the scene.*

For those of you who know Buttonwillow, we’ll be running the #13 track configuration, which includes both the “Lost Hill” and “Bus Stop” segments.* In the counter-clockwise direction, the exit of the sweeper and entry into the Bus Stop is freakin’ awesome.* Man I can hardly wait to get back out there!

See ya at the track!

Richard EVO
07-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks for posting up your track day.* I have a few (well, more than a few) questions about how the event is run.

1.* How many run groups?
2.* How many drivers in each group, and what is the maximum total number of cars you allow before the event is sold out?
3.* How long is each run session?
4.* How much track time could I expect for the day?
5.* As traffic thins out in the afternoon, do you let drivers who want extra track time to run in another group, or do you just open up the track?
6.* Do you have an ambulance and a tow truck on site all day?
7.* How many corner workers do you have at Buttonwillow?
8.* Do you rent timing equipment?
9.* Is any safety equipment besides a helmet required?
10.* Do you tech cars at the track or before the event, or do you allow "self-tech"?
11.* Are you renting the air-conditioned classroom, or will it be locked?
12.* Will garages be available?* How much $?
13.* Do you provide lunch?* If not, will the snack bar be open?
14.* Are you tired of answering all my questions yet?* ;)

monkeymaker
07-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Excellent question, Richard, but I'm too tired of reading them to actually answer them now!* *:crazy2:

1.* 4 - novice, intermediate, advanced, instructors
2.* 25 max
3.* 20-30 minutes, usually 25
4.* about 2 hours
5.* we'll play that one by ear
6.* absolutely
7.* 5, if I remember right
8.* no, but I'll have my Longacre beacon out there
9.* not required, but encouraged
10. self-tech
11. a/c all the way!
12. I'll leave that between you and the track
13. Track cafe will be open for "Dutch Treat" lunch, but the morning muffins and stuff are on me.

All of this info is available at the registration site, but I'm happy to answer them here. :)

WavMixer
07-11-2006, 08:44 AM
$175 for two hours of track time. Hmmmmm :? I'll pass thank you. Although I'm really looking forward to running this track.

monkeymaker
07-11-2006, 08:53 AM
$175 for two hours of track time. Hmmmmm :? I'll pass thank you. Although I'm really looking forward to running this track.
Interesting comment.* How much time are you used to getting at an HPDE?* I've been to, I dunno, 40 of them and the actual seat time is always between an hour and a half and about 2 hours, 15 minutes.* Perhaps you're thinking of an open test day instead of an HPDE event? Or maybe you don't realize that this is an all-day event with 3 or 4 run groups alternating 20-30 minute run sessions?

Richard EVO
07-11-2006, 09:20 AM
You weren't asking me, but I typically get a 3 hours plus at many HPDE events. I just twist the organizers arm to let me run in two groups in the afternoon. The organizers that allow it get my business, and the ones that don't, don't get my busines. I run about 30 - 40 track days a year.

monkeymaker
07-11-2006, 10:10 AM
You weren't asking me, but I typically get a 3 hours plus at many HPDE events. I just twist the organizers arm to let me run in two groups in the afternoon. The organizers that allow it get my business, and the ones that don't, don't get my busines. I run about 30 - 40 track days a year.
I hear ya. I've done the same thing at some events, though usually I instruct so I don't have to twist arms. That's a possibility at our events too because as the day goes on typically less cars hit the track in each session because people get tired or have to leave early, etc. If there's room on track and the driver promises to exercise self control and observe the passing rules in different run groups then I don't have a problem with letting people go get a little extra. :)

WavMixer
07-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Interesting comment.* How much time are you used to getting at an HPDE?* I've been to, I dunno, 40 of them and the actual seat time is always between an hour and a half and about 2 hours, 15 minutes.* Perhaps you're thinking of an open test day instead of an HPDE event?* Or maybe you don't realize that this is an all-day event with 3 or 4 run groups alternating 20-30 minute run sessions?
Can't say that I've been to a HPDE event, however my last time out on Big Willow with Open Track I had at least 3 hours track time and they were running three groups.

Evo8supercar
07-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Love to come, it's been a long time since last time did BW

That might help

http://www.leadfootadventures.com/Sign_Up_Today_.html

monkeymaker
07-18-2006, 12:43 AM
Love to come, it's been a long time since last time did BW

That might help

http://www.leadfootadventures.com/Sign_Up_Today_.html

Thanx Evo8.* I hope we see you out there. O0

monkeymaker
08-01-2006, 09:44 PM
The early-bird pricing has been extended 1 week, so if you\'re on the fence you have until Sunday August 6th to save your spot on the grid for only $175. If you\'re new to the track we\'ll provide you with an instructor at no extra charge.

As promised, we\'ve secured a discount rate at the Willow Inn for both Thursday and Friday nights. Whether you stay one or both nights, tell them Leadfoot Adventures sent ya and the rate will be $46.95+tax. :) Check in is after 2pm. The gal said the normal rate is $54.95 on Thursday and $59.95 on Friday, so that\'s not a bad price break we’re getting.

We\'ll be getting together at the Willow Ranch restaurant on Thursday evening to get something to eat, hang out, and knock back a few. Hope you can join us.

Richard EVO
08-01-2006, 10:23 PM
\"Knockin\' back a few\" the night before makes you faster the next morning on the track, right? Lmfao

monkeymaker
08-02-2006, 03:33 PM
\"Knockin\' back a few\" the night before makes you faster the next morning on the track, right? Lmfao
Hey man we're not going to get anybody hammered.Â* It's just an opportunity for people to hang out the night before and shoot the sh1t.

monkeymaker
08-09-2006, 06:46 PM
There's still some room on the grid right now, so if you'd like to go please register soon to make sure you get in.

If you've been waiting to sign up because you're worried about the weather being too hot, don't worry... the forecast is for an afternoon high only in the mid-90's, which really isn't all that hot for Buttonwillow. :)

Eclipse
08-20-2006, 10:37 AM
I attended and ran intermediate. It was a decent group with a moderate amount of track time. The day started with two novice classes so there were only five scheduled sessions for each group, four twenty-fives and a single twenty minute. The temps stayed less than a hundred so breaking my self imposed rule of no tracking from June to Sept didn't bite me. I waited until Thursday to register so I could watch the temps and have a reasonable bet the air temp would be less than 100 degrees.

I was going to go for my first full day of advanced but there were only around ten cars in intermediate and a couple of Porsche Cup cars(only one was really fast) and a modded C5 Z06 in advanced so I was wondering if I would have the rearward focus to run with those cars. By the end of the day I was pretty sure of my track awareness and I got the okay to run in the final "volunteer"/advanced session. So I wound up with an extra twenty minute session.

I track in my 1G Eclipse BTW. There was only one Evo in attendance. He was a NorCal guy.

Richard EVO
08-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Sounds like they were pretty strict about not letting you switch groups or run extra sessions until the very end of the day. What time of day did you first ask for extra track times? How many cars were there?

My initial reaction based on your review is thumbs down on this group.

Eclipse
08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Sounds like they were pretty strict about not letting you switch groups or run extra sessions until the very end of the day. What time of day did you first ask for extra track times? How many cars were there?

My initial reaction based on your review is thumbs down on this group.

Not really. I initally signed advanced and they were okay with my six days experience. When it came time to register "I" changed my mind and went with intermediate because of the reasons I stated above and he said no problem if I wanted to move up. At the end of the day it was supposed to be a volunteer thank you session and bit of a make up for advanced because they got shorted on two sessions. The Cup car was doing 1:55s so I guess Perry was concerned about speed differences but one of the instructors vouched for my pace and they came and told me I could run.

So without the extra session for me it was "okay" IMO. Meaning a moderate amount of track time for a moderate dollar amount. With the sixth session it was positive. I LOVE running the last session of the day.