PDA

View Full Version : Death of another EVO!!!!

05EVOMR
07-04-2006, 10:48 AM
here is the link to the story with pics

http://www.allwheeljunkies.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16231

DruMMinStUd06
07-04-2006, 10:53 AM

fixed for ya ;)

05EVOMR
07-04-2006, 10:55 AM

fixed for ya ;)

Thanx;)

Ricardon
07-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Sounds like freak stuff that happens when you partake in spirited driving. It happens, and if you can't handle it then you shouldnt do it. You, however seem like you understand this, and can handle it...don't meet to many people like that unfortunately. Sorry for your loss brother, but glad that the freakiness didn't take you from us. Go get another one and get back in the saddle.

JoeyM3
07-04-2006, 08:04 PM
ouch, atleast they are all ok O0

Macky
07-04-2006, 08:10 PM
did you guys see the wing? the plastic sides melted but the carbon top and inner sides were intact, sans the burn.

http://www.allwheelphotos.com/albums/userpics/11043/DSC03626.JPG

http://www.allwheelphotos.com/albums/userpics/11043/DSC03618.JPG

Macky
07-04-2006, 08:11 PM
i just realized that car is an MR as well. poor thing. glad the guy was ok.

blkside
07-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Damn bro sorry to hear it and real sorry to se something so effed up... Well you can get a clean slate to get your Mod on..

DruMMinStUd06
07-04-2006, 08:55 PM
i just realized that car is an MR as well. poor thing. glad the guy was ok.

out of curiousity, how can you tell? the only thing i can think of is that the aluminum roof melted off...which doesnt really make much sense to me... :-o

explain macky!!!

edit: i just saw it :roll:

Dagul
07-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Ouch... It's pretty rough seeing one burn like that... Hopefully everything works out...

Too bad AWJ doesn't load properly on my browser... Guess I'll read the whole story later...

You can tell its an MR coz the aluminum roof is just bonded and riveted on. And on a far shot, I still see some yellow on that rear shock... :grin:

05EVOMR
07-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Yup its an MR alright 06 MR the roof got blown off when the gas tank went up with a full tank of gas... shot some 50' straight up but for the most part everything that was straight up aluminum melted the wheels melted the hot side of the turbo melted as well as the turbo itself(melted to the block) and the IC.. the valve cover however was in tact (titanium imagine that) the fire department had to use PKP on half of the car and AFFF on the rest PKP due to the magnesium in the wheels and variuos parts of the car and AFFF due to the oil and whatever fuel was left... a total lose as you can see but the guy is in good spirits and is already looking at a couple of new MR's he just can't decide the color GG or silver again but he's fer sure getting another one and this time when he does get it he'll have all his mods in his garage waiting for the car... can't beat that... after the breakin period its Frankenstien time!!! But he's doing good and says thanks for the support and condolences.

Macky
07-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Yup its an MR alright 06 MR the roof got blown off when the gas tank went up with a full tank of gas... shot some 50' straight up but for the most part everything that was straight up aluminum melted the wheels melted the hot side of the turbo melted as well as the turbo itself(melted to the block) and the IC.. the valve cover however was in tact (titanium imagine that) the fire department had to use PKP on half of the car and AFFF on the rest PKP due to the magnesium in the wheels and variuos parts of the car and AFFF due to the oil and whatever fuel was left... a total lose as you can see but the guy is in good spirits and is already looking at a couple of new MR's he just can't decide the color GG or silver again but he's fer sure getting another one and this time when he does get it he'll have all his mods in his garage waiting for the car... can't beat that... after the breakin period its Frankenstien time!!! But he's doing good and says thanks for the support and condolences.

just to note:

the valve cover isnt titanium, its Magnesium.

Dagul
07-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Finally got AWJ to load up...

Wow, he seemed pretty calm and understanding about everything... You don't see too many people as understanding of a sitauation as he was.

05EVOMR
07-04-2006, 11:16 PM

just to note:

I'm pretty sure its titanium... I mean in that fire the valve cover would have gone up and it was still on the engine when they pulled it away

EVO Neil
07-04-2006, 11:29 PM

just to note:

I'm pretty sure its titanium... I mean in that fire the valve cover would have gone up and it was still on the engine when they pulled it away

Dude, seriously it's Magnesium. Really.

Link provided:

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/lancerevolution/index.html

Or just read it here from the Mitsubishi website:

Lancer Evolution

The obsession. The dedication. The incremental performance gains. The weight-shaving engineering. The uncompromising purity of intention. The Lancer Evolution is one of the most purpose-driven performance cars on the planet. And each successive iteration of the car begs new creative thinking. Make more power, save more weight, brake a little deeper, clip the apex a little tighter. Come out of the corner a little harder. If you are reading this you already understand. The performance numbers are staggering. The four consecutive World Rally Championship driver's titles are legendary. The 4G63 motor code is street shorthand for dominance. It's automotive Darwinism.
It's evolution.

And Lancer Evolution lives up to the heritage. It now generates an incomprehensible 286 horsepower from only two-liters of displacement; this is the highest power-to-displacement ratio of any production inline four-cylinder engine in the world, at 146 horsepower produced per liter of displacement. The list of performance tweaks testifies to the vision. The refined front aerodynamics reduce lift and improve intercooler efficiency. Under the magnesium valve cover, hollow camshafts save rotational weight, and less inertia means that engine RPMs build faster and acceleration times go down. New MIVEC variable valve timing helps the engine breathe better at high revs. Aluminum roof*, hood and fender panels save weight and lower the Lancer Evolution's center of gravity. A twin-scroll turbocharger virtually eliminates turbo lag. A Vortex Generator* tunes and directs air onto the rear spoiler's new wickerbill* to generate maximum downforce at speed. High-performance Yokohama Advan® tires claw at the road. And the revolutionary Active Center Differential continuously optimizes torque delivery to the wheels that have the most traction during cornering, with optimization settings for tarmac, gravel and snow. Want to name check some performance heritage? The Brembo® multi-piston brake calipers and Mitsubishi Sport ABS brakes help you stop like you dropped anchor. The Momo® steering wheel and contoured and drilled aluminum pedals make driver input feel almost telepathic. Recaro® seats with new Alcantara® fabric hold you in place even under the most extreme cornering loads. Tuned Bilstein®* struts with inverted dampers improve road feel and ride quality. And lightweight aluminum alloy BBS®* or Enkei® wheels lower the rotational weight even more.

Sure we're obsessed. And we wouldn't have it any other way. Obsession breeding evolution.

05EVOMR
07-05-2006, 12:46 AM
Oh ok cool then for some reason I thoiught it was titanium..something new every day huh.. thanx for the correction

kevs-ej1
07-05-2006, 12:50 AM
eeeek sry to see this happen........ at least ur alive!

Macky
07-05-2006, 07:56 AM
Oh ok cool then for some reason I thoiught it was titanium..something new every day huh.. thanx for the correction

one neat trick to really check is this:

-open your engine bay
-look at the top right corner of the valve cover (nearest the throttle body where the upper IC pipe connects)
-there is a small, bent, metal pipe on top of the corner
-look underneath it
-there will be an embossed abbreviation of Magnesium there

O0

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Wow. That really sux. =( Makes me sad everytime i hear one of these things. It reminds me of my crash. I was fortunate enough not to total tho. Glad he's alright. /whew O0

So how close is he to a new one? :knuppel2: