PDA

View Full Version : From s2k to 2003 Evo

SlvrKCEvo
07-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Hello all. I guess that I will be spending more time here than s2ki over the next few years. I bought the car last week knowing some of the performance aspects but little else. It has a BOV and cat back and Privat wheels on it. IT does have some suspinsion work and I love the all wheel drive. However I know little about the different types of Evo's on the road. It is a 2003. Can you please explain the difference between and Evo, Evo 8 and MR?

j_nizzle
07-08-2006, 06:16 PM
three models. rs, gsr, and mr...look it up on a mitsu website. should tell you basically what you need to know. welcome...only if you bought my 03 evo. it's for sale.

blkside
07-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the boards... here is a lil basic info... RS= no ABS or power GSR= Power and optional leather MR = RS with power and bilstein shocks...

Chris in SD
07-08-2006, 06:42 PM
I traded my '01 S2K in for an '03 Evo back in '03... you'll enjoy the Evo, but you'll miss your S2K. ;)

SlvrKCEvo
07-08-2006, 07:08 PM
So, is the Evo 8 more of a name for the model year, and the different trim packeges are named MR and such? How can I tell if I have Bilstein shocks? I do hae all power and no leather in the car. I love all the mods, performance and looks that are already on the car. However, I do want to replace the rear quarter panel red turn signal lights with some clear ones. Do you guys know where to find them?

Chris in SD
07-08-2006, 08:02 PM
MRs only started to show up in '05. If you don't have a wing and you have black mirrors and door handles, then it's an RS (starting in '04). For '03, there was only one version (what later became the GSR).

j_nizzle
07-08-2006, 08:04 PM
So, is the Evo 8 more of a name for the model year, and the different trim packeges are named MR and such? How can I tell if I have Bilstein shocks? I do hae all power and no leather in the car. I love all the mods, performance and looks that are already on the car. However, I do want to replace the rear quarter panel red turn signal lights with some clear ones. Do you guys know where to find them?

see chris in sd's (or macky's if he chooses to chime in...) response where im wrong. evo 8 gsr is the official term for the model between rs and mr. when you get into the evo 9's the titles change a little. you dont have bilsteins...if you think you do, check if you have yellow shocks. i didnt really understand what you wanted to replace. im assuming it's the sidemarkers on the rear bumper. but if you want to clear that, i dont believe anyone makes a replacement part for that.

Chris in SD
07-08-2006, 08:07 PM
FYI, there was no trim level (GSR, MR, RS) for 2003 models. All were just called "Evolution VIII".

j_nizzle
07-08-2006, 08:07 PM
FYI, there was no trim level (GSR, MR, RS) for 2003 models. All were just called "Evolution VIII".

whoops...

thisxguy
07-08-2006, 08:09 PM
welcome. *i always wanted a s2k...but i like more than 2 seats. *lol. *maybe i'll get the s2k next or after an M3

Chris in SD
07-08-2006, 08:11 PM
welcome. *i always wanted a s2k...but i like more than 2 seats. *lol. *maybe i'll get the s2k next or after an M3

Evo and S2K is a perfect garage in SoCal... I had it once. O0 M3s are COMPLETELY overrated. There are/have been several M3 owners on the board - ask them.

thisxguy
07-08-2006, 08:13 PM
i always like them. i'm not going to use it as a race car or whatever. i know there are several m3 owners here. but i'm going ot take it and use it as my luxury sports car =P
and then s2k as roadster...and evo is going to be my "i'm going to eat you up where ever monster." haha

Chris in SD
07-08-2006, 08:32 PM
If you just want to use it as a luxo car, score an S4. Much better interior, still has AWD, big V8 torque. Of course, I'm biased.... LOL

Macky
07-08-2006, 08:50 PM

The Evo 8 is the Model Type/Designation.

Officially, The Evo 8 were available in:

JDM Trim
5-speed RS
6-speed RS
6-speed GSR

USDM Trim
5-speed RS [2004-up]
5-speed GSR

*2003 there were no model designations, as the RS only became available in the 2004 model year

in 2005 the MR model was introduced in Japan

5-speed MR RS
6-speed MR RS
6-speed MR GSR

USDM Trim
5-speed RS
5-speed GSR
6-speed MR

Note that in the US trims, the MR was a top line trim whereas in Japan (and elsewhere) the MR is the actual model designation.

Leather was an available in 2005-up cars, that included the sunroof and Infinity sound system. Sunroof was an option in 2003-2004 cars and HID was standard across the board (2005 cars had HID if you got the MR or the SSL GSR)

Bilstein shocks were optional on JDM MRs (I believe these were standard on the GSR), as well as the Forged BBS wheels. The Bilsteins are swappable between the Evo VIII~IX (and I believe on the VII as well).

rear quarter panel (im assuming you are referring to the bumper markers) lights are red from factory, but if you are referring to the actual turn signals then no - those are clear from the factory.

thisxguy
07-10-2006, 10:21 PM
If you just want to use it as a luxo car, score an S4. Much better interior, still has AWD, big V8 torque. Of course, I'm biased.... LOL

the new m3s will be equipped with a high reving V8.
i'll still take the M3...i've always wanted one. a S4 is nice...my neighbor has one.
if i need AWD...i'll take the evo out. lol. but the m3 is still my sports luxury =P

SlvrKCEvo
07-11-2006, 05:38 AM
rear quarter panel (im assuming you are referring to the bumper markers) lights are red from factory, but if you are referring to the actual turn signals then no - those are clear from the factory.

I am talking about the bumper markers and i want them to have a clear cover like the front bumper markers. Does anyone have any idea where I can get those?

trinydex
07-13-2006, 04:57 PM
look at wikipedia i think they have a good section on the different evos and which editions come with what.