PDA

View Full Version : Warning Out Of Staters

speedracer2169
07-10-2006, 12:27 PM
http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi

California Highway patrol has an approved grant to crack down on out of state drivers who do not reg their vehicles in california after moving here. FYI this does not apply to military

Did you know that the State of California loses millions of dollars a year in revenue from California residents who unlawfully register their vehicles in other states or countries?

Did you know that vehicle registration fees are due immediately upon accepting employment or establishing residency in the State of California?

Did you know that California law permits only 20 days to complete the process of registering your vehicle without paying a penalty?

The three most common reasons for not completing the registration process are:

1. People are unaware of California registration laws.
2. People are evading payments of registration fees and taxes.
3. People are unable to comply with air pollution control laws.

Please use this link to report vehicles you believe belong to California residents but are not properly registered.

kimletrim
07-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Yeah, but hasn't this always been the case? What's changed?

speedracer2169
07-10-2006, 12:36 PM
This campaign is to enforce it. They have a new grant that allows chp to check registrations on these vehicles. Basically they are being paid to check on out of state registration vehicles

ultraflip
07-10-2006, 12:39 PM
california's broke... budget cuts left and right

rammsteinmatt
07-10-2006, 12:41 PM
what about the guy at crystal cove that registers his F40 in oregon because it wont meet CA smog laws because its heavily modified (to like 600+hp)?

if thats what CA is trying to do, way to shoot themselves in the foot.

kimletrim
07-10-2006, 12:47 PM
ultraflip: california's broke... budget cuts left and right

That's what I was thinking. Reminds of the notice about crackdown on streetracers and all that crap. The CHP is given special training courses for specialized stuff when it doesn't have any money?

Absinthe
07-10-2006, 01:02 PM
this has been going on for a while its part of the reason I am thinking about buying a house in nevada to rent out, so I can make all my major purchases there and aviod sales taxes as well as safely register my car out of state and not have to pay 9% over the msrp for every car I buy

speedracer2169
07-10-2006, 01:44 PM
california is broke but chp got another grant approved to hire 396 new chp officers

sgtbadazzwife
07-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Yah CHP tried to get me for this. I was in Cypress at the time 02 Accord, deeply tinted windows. TN plates. HE said he pulled me over for my tint. When I told him to check with TN, they allow dark tint, he got an attitude with me. He went to check with his supervisor, turns out I was right. Then as I was leaving he said dont let me catch you around here in 30 days, it's illegal not to register your car with CA after you have been here more than 30 days.

Yes people (like me) did evade paying the HIGH cost to register your car in CA. I paid $330 in CA. In TN I only paid $60!!! Tell me that is not a rip off!!!

05gsr
07-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Yah CHP tried to get me for this. I was in Cypress at the time 02 Accord, deeply tinted windows. TN plates. HE said he pulled me over for my tint. When I told him to check with TN, they allow dark tint, he got an attitude with me. He went to check with his supervisor, turns out I was right. Then as I was leaving he said dont let me catch you around here in 30 days, it's illegal not to register your car with CA after you have been here more than 30 days.

Yes people (like me) did evade paying the HIGH cost to register your car in CA. I paid $330 in CA. In TN I only paid $60!!! Tell me that is not a rip off!!!

CA reg is less expensive than here in NV.* i just registered mine today, $489 while the renewal from CA dmv only costs $204 :'(

speedracer2169
07-14-2006, 08:34 PM
yeah m renewal notice just came in 271. booo

JOOTZ
07-14-2006, 08:39 PM
car capital of the world??? SOCAL