PDA

View Full Version : New STI. What a car!

Bills Evo
07-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Well here goes. My wife and I are now the proud owners of a new STI! We traded in her '05 Evo for it and we both love it. We, shall I say, compared quickness between it and my '06 MR, and to my shock found it to be just slightly slower than my Evo. Stock to stock I'm sure it is quicker! We also found out why it is more expensive to Mod the engine, the Boxer engine is made by Porsche!* I like the looks of the Evo better but prefer the interior of the STI.* OK, now I comes the flaming.* * * * * * * * * * * * * * Bill* * *:twisted:

Dagul
07-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Congratulations on the new car.

How did you base your comparison in terms of quickness between the two? What mods have done to your IX?

I wish my wife leanred to drive stick shift... O0

CICreations
07-12-2006, 08:55 AM
^want me to teach her? LOL J/K

BUDLoNG
07-12-2006, 09:18 AM
"We also found out why it is more expensive to Mod the engine, the Boxer engine is made by Porsche!"..

i think whoever told you this was not very informed on subies

DTunedEvoX
07-12-2006, 09:41 AM
I have the oppourtunity to drive them both (I own an Evo and came from an impreza) - and its still a good car ... The engine isnt exactly by/from Porsche - its the style "boxer style" where the pistons move side to side instead of up and down ...

I still like the evo better than the wrx I've own and the STI's I drive ..

Good purchase!

Bills Evo
07-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Well, I base my comparison on the fact that we raced. Her STI is bone stock, while my MR has a turbo back exhaust, O2 housing, Hallman MBC, SAFC II air/fuel controller, Walbro 255 fuel pump. Boosts 20lbs. Granted that I haven't had it tuned since I put on the down pipe and O2 housing. I'm waiting for help to install 720 injectors and then a tune. At the last tune I was putting down 325HP and 326 Tq. *I live in Lancaster so if anyone knows how to install injectors I'll feed you and provide drinkage for help. I have a lube pit in my back garage so if you want to work on your car too that's cool. * * * * * * * * * Bill

Absinthe
07-12-2006, 09:52 AM
If you think:

A.) a porsche engine can be sold in a 30k car
B.) its expensive to mod a subie
C.) that if this was true they would keep it a secret
D.) that subaru has an ownership stake or platform sharing interest in porsche
E.) porsche has the excess staff or capacity to manufacture a motor that currently resembles nothing they make.

I have a nice beach house in arizona for sale. Sweet ride, subie motor not built by porsche built by suby.

x[corwyn]
07-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Yea the boxster style engine from subaru is what they have used for a long while. Its their bread and butter engine. Porsche uses that same style engine, but its like saying that V8 engine in your ford was designed by Ferrari (or vice versa). Take whatever a dealership tells you with a very very large grain of salt.

As for the STI that is a very cool car. One of the groups I hang with has a number of WRXs and STIs there and these guys have done some awesome things to it. The only thing I see that would irritate the hell out of me is the Intercooler being on top of the engine. Makes it a pain to do basic maintenance. As for people to work on them, my two favorites XS Engineering and Road Race Engineering both work on them as well.

Great car. Hopefully get to see you 2 and the 2 cars together.

Absinthe
07-12-2006, 10:05 AM
yeah stgi does rock, reason it costs so much to mod is that its a new motor and the parts havent been developed or exposed to competion the way evo parts have.

Dagul
07-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Wow, that's a 3 hour drive into the boonies for me... Must be nice having a lube pit out in the back... :grin:

I'm sure someone more local to you will chime in eventually... Can't pass up food and drink in echange for lending a hand... :grin:

325/326 is pretty good for the mods you have considering it takes cams to achieve that on an 8.

Which o2/dp combo did you go with? I'll be in the market for both hopefully in a month or so...

I still haven't decided on a tuning solution... I had safc/boomslang when I still had my 8... I would like go the same route on my current, but there's no boomslang harness yet. Not to mention the hearsay of mitsu able to detect relashes with the MUT-III... =

gman
07-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Well, I base my comparison on the fact that we raced. Her STI is bone stock, while my MR has a turbo back exhaust, O2 housing, Hallman MBC, SAFC II air/fuel controller, Walbro 255 fuel pump. Boosts 20lbs. Granted that I haven't had it tuned since I put on the down pipe and O2 housing. I'm waiting for help to install 720 injectors and then a tune. At the last tune I was putting down 325HP and 326 Tq. I live in Lancaster so if anyone knows how to install injectors I'll feed you and provide drinkage for help. I have a lube pit in my back garage so if you want to work on your car too that's cool. Bill

I think the injectors, fuel pump etc. are wasted investments. Sell all that stuff, keep the TBE and get a custom dune and your good to go. I have a TBE and custom tune w/ 295 AWHP on a low reading DD dyno.

IX fuel pump has a higher flow capacity vs. VIII's.

Bills Evo
07-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Hey! Thanks for the response/input everyone. I appreciate it, even when I get conflicting information.* I'm brand new to the Subie world and yes until I get better information the dealer is my only source. I shoulda gotten suspicious about a Porsche engine in a 34K car. And no I'm not interested in beach front property in Arizona, though I'm sure it's cheap. I also do not like the intercooler on top of the engine.
* * We are having the dealer install their exhaust and intake, which they guarantee to add 45hp and 24lbs of torque. We'll see. We've had them install Cusco strut bars front and back. I like the interior better than the Evo. I don't know if anyone else has removed the Recaro seats in the Evo but they weigh about 70lbs. each! The name Recaro sounds impressive but they still weigh a LOT.* You can actually carry 4 people in an Evo but only 2 in the front seats and 2 small kids in the back of the Subie.* * * * * * * * * * * *Bill 8)

Bills Evo
07-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The O2 housing is made by Megan and the exhaust is by Turbo XS.
Wav, still wanna help me install the injectors? PM me how I can contact Scott Gray. Bill

Dagul
07-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Billsevo, 45/26 from a catback and intake? That's not bad at all... :grin:

As for your 02 housing, did you cut the lower heat shield or remove completely? I'm kind of dreading that if I go that route...

Gman, who did your tuning and what kind of reflash did you go with? A couple of socalevo members I've met up with have harman motive ecutek flashes but I don't remember the numbers they put down... Both had TBE and one had a Apexi intake and the other was still using the stock box with drop in filter...

gen4k20a2
07-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Ok i dont know about the STi being almost as fast as the EVO. I tested this with my buddy in his 06 STi and i was pulling like nuts. I even had to turn around to see his car.

EvoPwr
07-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Ok i dont know about the STi being almost as fast as the EVO. I tested this with my buddy in his 06 STi and i was pulling like nuts. I even had to turn around to see his car.

yea if your evo is putting down 325 to the wheels, and you barely pulled on an sti, you need to check your powerband, because you have about 60+ WHP over the sti.

Bills Evo
07-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Tomorrow (Thurs.) I'm installing the injectors and having it tuned and then dynoed. We'll see. I'm hoping for 350hp and about the same torque. I'll post as soon as I can.* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Bill O0 O0

Evo8you
07-12-2006, 10:20 PM
I think the injectors, fuel pump etc. are wasted investments.* Sell all that stuff, keep the TBE and get a custom dune and your good to go.* I have a TBE and custom tune w/ 295 AWHP on a low reading DD dyno.

IX fuel pump has a higher flow capacity vs. VIII's.

Thats insurance not wasted investment. He'll be close to 340hp when he tunes with injectors.

haans brix
07-12-2006, 11:42 PM
the sti is nice...buddy has one with 400 whp w/a gt30 on pump gas..so its ridiculous once they are modded. stock sti vs stock mr...sti cant compete im sorry! :)

CJexJiggy
07-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Well, I base my comparison on the fact that we raced. Her STI is bone stock, while my MR has a turbo back exhaust, O2 housing, Hallman MBC, SAFC II air/fuel controller, Walbro 255 fuel pump. Boosts 20lbs. Granted that I haven't had it tuned since I put on the down pipe and O2 housing. I'm waiting for help to install 720 injectors and then a tune. At the last tune I was putting down 325HP and 326 Tq. I live in Lancaster so if anyone knows how to install injectors I'll feed you and provide drinkage for help. I have a lube pit in my back garage so if you want to work on your car too that's cool. Bill
Wavmixer around your neck of the woods, and he knows how to install injectors.....aaahh right Wav? Wav?