PDA

View Full Version : Right to fight traffic ticket bill

speedracer2169
07-15-2006, 08:33 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=211585

A new bill AB2571 is running through the california assembly aimed at destroying your ability to fight your ticket in court. Only 1% of tickets issues are taken to court and the court system and police are crying that they have to spend too much time in court. Here's an exerpt of the bill.

This non-controversial bill requires Judicial Council to study
ways to improve the efficiency of traffic court procedures.
According to the author's office, this study will explore ways
to decrease the number of traffic citations that are challenged
in court, thereby decreasing the amount of time police officers
have to spend in the court house instead of on the streets.

Here's what you do, go to http://192.234.213.69/amapsearch/framepage.asp

Put in your address and zip code to find your assembly member. Call your assembly member and have the operator leave a message with the assembly member.

Your message should be this.

I [state your full name and full address] completely disagree with the pending bill ab 2571. This bill will destroy my rights to my day in court to fight a ticket. Making sure this bill is quashed is very important to me, my family, and local friends in your district. I would like a written response from assembly member [ enter is/her name] on her views of this bill.

You can say something like what I wrote above. Please everyone, don't put it off, call your assembly member. I made my very first call to my representative today. Once this bill is passed, what's next, not being able to challenge certain misdemeanors (because the courts are too full....ouinnnn ouinnnnn), then what's next, you're not allowed to challenge felonies.

Post this message in as many car enthusiast blog site as possible. You've sat on your butt complaining when you get a ticket that it's not fair. Everyone here's probably got one. This is your way to stick it to the man! If you don't do this for yourself, do it for others. Once a law has passed, other than the courts striking it down, it is almost impossible to remove from the books.

Blaze
07-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Stickied.

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-15-2006, 09:02 PM
wow great find. i'll post on NCE.

apexstrafer
07-15-2006, 11:53 PM
THAT IS FUCKING INSANE.

I'm contacting ted lieu first thing monday morning.

x[corwyn]
07-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Added to my motorcycle boards. Calling my assemblyman on monday.

booster310
10-13-2007, 04:18 PM
So heres my story hopefully someone here can help me out. On sept 3rd i was cruising with my buddy on my evo IX when made a traffic violation, i was stopped on a red light on a right turn lane only when i figured i didn't want to turn right i went straight and cut the traffic to my left, a cop was at the gas station on the right and stopped me, he asked me if i knew why i got stopped and me playing smart ass with him said no that got him kinda mad and left to his patrol, after he came back he told me he liked my car and he used to race rally evos before so this game a chance to soften him up a bit, we struck a conversation and finally he said he was going to hook me up, he said he was going to give me a ticket for speeding instead of a traffic violation all i had to do was pay the ticket go to traffic school and no points we going to hit my license i tought to myself not a bad deal i guess. Well i finally got the ticket and it required me to appear in court ok so i went to court to find out why i had to show up to court for a speeding ticket come to find out i was being charged for exhibition of speed which is a misdemeanor so i plead not guilty and have court on the 12 of dec so thats my story if anyone can help me out as to how to defend myself or maybe should i tell the judge the whole story as to how the cop lied or should i take my friend with me to back me up if you can give me some tips i appreciate it and thanks for taking the time to read my case.