PDA

View Full Version : Ever not consent to an engine bay search??

Skiracer
07-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Anybody ever not give consent to an officer for an engine bay search? If so, what happened next? Did they call backup, tow the car, nothing, etc...?

Blaze
07-15-2006, 09:34 PM
They'll offer to tow your car.

They'll also do this if you are unable to open your hood for any reason.

You can quote legal rights all you want in court.
It won't help you during a traffic stop.

BTW, this is all outlined in their street racer profiling vid.
(I'll see if I can dig that up again)

Blaze

speedracer2169
07-15-2006, 09:37 PM
interesting but a police officer is not a certified emmisions technician. Couldn't they just issue a citation to see a ref. I know it can be done on those mobile smog test machines so why not a traffic stop

blkside
07-15-2006, 09:40 PM
If you are talking about *the one that is the police street racing one on youtube.. I know it has been removed due to "copyright infringement" aka Whiny bitches....

speedracer2169
07-15-2006, 09:44 PM
wasnt that video a san diesgo pd training video?

blkside
07-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Yeah and every link I had takes it to youtube and the big red banner that says this video has been removed due to copyright infringement... You know its cause it showed the bullshit techniques that they use to pull us over.

speedracer2169
07-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Yeah and every link I had takes it to youtube and the big red banner that says this video has been removed due to copyright infringement... You know its cause it showed the bullshit techniques that they use to pull us over.

you mean it shows how police officers profile drivers and their vehicles

blkside
07-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Yeah its a step by step on how to bullshit a traffic stop... It is like I pulled you over for a loud exhaust and it runs you through scenarios like the driver wont pop the hood, the latch is broken... and it basically said anything not factory is illegal... aftermarket hoses lines you name it... its the biggest bullshit... It pissed me off when I watched it... If I remember right they used an old civic or CRX... I am sure they will revise it with the EVO...Im out for the night.... late

Blaze
07-15-2006, 09:57 PM

Same here. I'm sure it's posted elsewhere. Just a matter of finding it again.

And no, police are not qualified to judge to what extent you've modified anything on your car.

However, they can identify or suspect that you have modifications and subsequently send you to the state ref who will get you for anything and everything they find ALL the way down to blue silicon hoses and CARB approved high flow cats.

So again, you can spend the next 16 pages arguing if it's legal, justified or otherwise right/wrong for police to do what they do, but it won't change the reality of what they will do.

You best bet is to grin and bear it.
The legality of your stop can be decided in court, not on the street, so don't take it personal.
Your time will come. You just need to understand where and when....

speedracer2169
07-15-2006, 10:15 PM
I came across this

http://www.popcenter.org/library/goldstein/2003/03-35.pdf

Its a complete 28 page report of San Diego's Drag-net task force. Real interesting all the way down how they had arrest warrants for street racers and arrested them at their home

speedracer2169
07-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exhaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the California Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.

Skiracer
07-15-2006, 10:54 PM
So, everybody here consented to an engine bay search when the popo requested it?

speedracer2169
07-15-2006, 10:59 PM
I'll put a NOS purge kit on the hood so that when he walks up to it I'll spray him and get him high lol. I did before when i got pulled over by HB police in my spec v. Made him feel like an idiot though since i was stock at the time

Skiracer
07-15-2006, 11:05 PM
I'll put a NOS purge kit on the hood so that when he walks up to it I'll spray him and get him high lol. I did before when i got pulled over by HB police in my spec v. Made him feel like an idiot though since i was stock at the time

So, you said "no" when the cop asked if you can pop your hood?

speedracer2169
07-15-2006, 11:19 PM
yeah i just kept saying loud and clear that I was refusing to have him look at my engine bay. Wouldn't that constitute as searching the car or trunk as well though.

JDMC-WestEVO
07-16-2006, 01:18 AM
my mom's bf said that they techinically need a search warrant to pop your hood or even look under your car. the only excuse they have is if u get a DUI or get caught street racing, or any other felony where they are able to search without a warrant. but for like a traffic stop they cant "search" your car that includes inside, trunk, under, hood, anywhere. will they agree with you probably not. its pretty much wat blaze said. i did read in a book that if you are pulled over and ticketed but they pulled you over unlawfully in court you can fight it and anything they find since it was illegally discovered is no longer valid. like if u get pulled over for some bullshit reason and they search you unlawfully and find drugs or a gun or something and you go to court they can use wat they found against you because it wasnt found under the law.

Blaze
07-16-2006, 08:21 AM
..... search you unlawfully and find drugs or a gun or something and you go to court they can use wat they found against you because it wasnt found under the law.

Also keep in mind that if you have something laying around in plain sight, it acts as a loop hole around this for them. Why do you think they're so helpful with the flashlight when you open your glove box?

(1) if you have a bag of weed laying on your seat, they can ask you to get out of the car to search it and/or arrest you and it'll hold up in court.

(2) if you have exhaust or a blower sticking out of your car/hood they can inspect your engine bay under similar reasoning of probable cause. (this goes for hondas that have long shiney headers sticking down, or us with polished or wrapped downpiptes and cats.

JDMC-WestEVO
07-17-2006, 08:11 AM
that is a very good point blaze but idk if an exhaust is probable cause i agree with blowers and stuff like that but even some stock cars have big exhaust like ours you know wat i mean like GTO's and stuff that are loud from factory

909Evo
07-17-2006, 06:43 PM
There is no way that you can argue that a catless Greddy Ti, sounds anything remotely similiar to ANY factory exhaust.