PDA

View Full Version : Track Tips

monkeymaker
07-24-2006, 06:41 AM
The purpose of this thread is to provide useful info for those about to drive on a racetrack for the first time. I wrote it with the S2000 in mind, but many of the tips apply to any car/driver. If anyone who reads this thread learns something then I guess the thread's purpose will be fulfilled. (Note: I first posted this at s2kca.com. I've edited it a little and updated it with some of the other good ideas that were posted afterwards.) I hope this helps!

When I went to my very first racetrack event, I knew very little. In fact, I didn't even know how little I knew! During the dozens of track days since then I picked up a few things and would like to pass them along so the first-timers that read this might be a little more prepared than I was. For those of you who know a lot about tracking your car, please feel free to add some things to the list (tips are not listed in any particular order)... Oh, and if you have a different opinion on any of this, please speak up so we can get a discussion going.

1. If you are really hard on your brakes, you might want to bring an extra set just in case your stock pads don’t last. Consider upgrading to brake pads designed for racing or autocross. Hybrid street/race pads are great when you're first learning.

2. Flush your brake fluid and replace it with ATE SuperBlue or Motul 600. The stock fluid can boil (fluid fade), causing your brake pedal to get mushy and compromising your car’s ability to slow down properly.

3. Read "Going Faster" or "Speed Secrets" to familiarize yourself with racetrack driving and the physics of what you'll be feeling out there. It's way, WAY different than driving hard on even the twistiest road. If you think your highway & byway skills will automatically translate to the track you're sadly mistaken.

4. Get familiar with how to bleed your brakes. If your fluid boils you might have to bleed them at the track.

5. Remember to be real easy on your brakes during the cool-down lap so your brakes can well, cool down. In fact, try to avoid using them at all for a full lap, and then drive around the paddock awhile before parking. Failure to cool them down sufficiently can cause your fluid to boil and/or crack your brake rotors.

6. Speaking of rotors, do NOT put your parking brake on right after you come in from a track session. Doing so when your brakes are hot (yes even if you've cooled them down on the cool-down lap) can result in warped rotors.

7. Make sure you check your tire pressure after each session, especially the first one. Be sure to let a little air out as the day goes on. The tires get really hot out there and with the heat come increased air pressure. With higher pressures come decreased traction and the possibility of a tire failure.

8. Learn the racing line at each track you run. (For those of you on the left coast, you can view turn-by-turn descriptions of Thunderhill, Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow, and Sears Point at this Porsche Club website: http://www.pca-ggr.org/ttvenues.html#thunderhill)

9. Please understand that you are not going to be actually "racing" out there. If that's what you're expecting, you'll be disappointed. Take it slow and easy, building speed throughout the day as you become more comfortable.

10. Slow the hell down! There are a number of cliches out there, and none are more true than "slow down to go faster." It's all about smoothness: Be gentle with the steering input (don’t jerk the wheel,) and remember to go easy on and off the pedals.

11. Tracking your car involves risk to your car and your person, so check with your insurance company about coverage in a "non-competitive driver education event." Don't be surprised if they say tough luck. Nevertheless be assured that if you drive well within your limits there's little chance that you'll need to worry about insurance.

12. Get your tech inspection done by a reputable race garage or knowledgeable mechanic-buddy. Have the inspection done at least a few days before the event, just in case something is wrong and needs to be fixed.

13. Ask the event organizers for in-car instruction before the event. This is very important no matter how well you carve up twisty roads. Racetracks are a totally different animal, and are WAY MORE FUN TOO!!!!!

If you’d like to put any of this to the test, check out www.LeadfootAdventures.com

See ya at the track!

smokd
07-24-2006, 07:57 PM
theres a lotta useful information in there.. thanks man

monkeymaker
07-25-2006, 10:51 AM
theres a lotta useful information in there.. thanks man
My pleasure, bud. It's by no means an exhaustive list, but with the help of other experience track junkies this thread could really blossom into an pretty awesome resource. :)

wilson1
07-25-2006, 02:17 PM
nice writeup!

thisxguy
07-25-2006, 02:22 PM
nice writeup!

+1

ebevo
07-27-2006, 08:26 AM
+2 very easy to read & understand :coolsmiley:

silvery_eagle
07-27-2006, 08:40 AM
nice write up... pretty much covers everything that i noticed from the performance driving school.
O0

leaveit2bevo
08-01-2006, 06:33 PM
number 6 is wrong, evos have internal drum parking brakes so they dont have that prob.

silex
08-22-2006, 03:47 PM
I don't know what to add as I've been wanting to track, but have not had a chance to yet. Keep this thread going strong guys!

touchmyjagee
02-18-2007, 07:09 PM
wow, this is great information. im glad i read this before tomorrows track event!

Ricardon
02-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Good post. Though Bevo is right and #6 does'nt really apply to EVOs. Maybe add an asterisk to denote that on #6?

Granny Shifter
02-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Very informative article.

ryan0
02-19-2007, 08:24 AM
number 6 is wrong, evos have internal drum parking brakes so they dont have that prob.

the drum pads push out on the hot rotor in two different directions.. which could be bad for a cooling rotor..

CRX2EVO
02-22-2007, 09:49 AM
good read

What other extras should one take to the track? Aside from blue painters tape.

Bueller
02-26-2007, 10:41 PM
good read

Theres so much one could list. You will gradually learn what you need...but one day youll also learn that theres more stuff you need than you thought. One thing i can say for now would be that i always take plenty of food, water and change of clothes.

Granny Shifter
02-27-2007, 01:09 AM
good read

Theres so much one could list. You will gradually learn what you need...but one day youll also learn that theres more stuff you need than you thought. One thing i can say for now would be that i always take plenty of food, water and change of clothes.

Change of clothes?

Bueller
02-27-2007, 07:23 PM
good read

Change of clothes?

I just like being prepared. Lots of things could happen: It could get cold, it could get hot, you may have to get all dirty workin on your car...you could also always get lucky. :-P

CRX2EVO
02-27-2007, 09:58 PM
good read

Change of clothes?

in case you spin out and piss yourself

MRchnk
02-27-2007, 10:16 PM
good read

Change of clothes?

HAHA

Granny Shifter
03-01-2007, 12:27 AM
good read

Change of clothes?

I'll keep that in mind.

hahaV8
04-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the info man I learned a lot. O0

hurstnova350
12-07-2008, 10:16 AM
reviving the thread!!! has anyone had any brake fluid issues with stock brake fluid at the track (i have an X), not sure if i should have it changed before i go??

flyingscot
03-15-2009, 06:29 AM
spare schraeder valves are a must for track junkies and dont forget the valve stem tool,those bad buys work themselve loose during events,some sort of inflation device and dont go cheap on the tire pressure gauge,get a good one,oh and dont forget to ziptie the oil dipstick,weird things happen at the racetrack,make sure to torque the lugs before every session,you dont want them coming loose during turn 8 at big wllow while doing 120+,speaking from experience,oh and this is the big one,have fun

FUEL
03-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Update your AAA to the "Premium" membership (250 tow miles) in case you need to tow your Evo home. They will bring a flatbed. Just tell them when you call about your Evo's "special towing needs"

WTF EVO
04-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Isn't that the first rule for tracking your car????

xtasy127
04-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Don't be too hot headed when you head out to the track! hehe. if you know you drive slow and are not too confident just let the person behind you pass!

pink godzila
04-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Very good tips!!! love the thread!! I wish they have this kind the treah in Zilvia.net

Got tips for RWD???

FUEL
04-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Stop trying to play Dori Dori Drifto on the track during a "grip day"... a lot of RWD (Silvia's, S2Ks, MR2's from what I have experienced) spin out.. then throw rocks and dirt on the track in the process which slows down the track.

Muellerized...
04-16-2009, 07:22 PM
reviving the thread!!! has anyone had any brake fluid issues with stock brake fluid at the track (i have an X), not sure if i should have it changed before i go??

the oe fluid is not up to the task for track duty, neither are the front pads.

the downside of my evo x's fat ass is the braking...

evobeaner
04-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Instead of a zip tie to hold the dipstick from blowing out, I use a medium tension spring connected to one of the brackets of the intake manifold.

This makes it more convenient imo.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3882/crsc2.jpg

littlejap33
04-19-2009, 07:02 PM
good write up