PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying an Evo 8, Help!

oOCujoOo
07-25-2006, 07:02 PM
So heres the story. Theres an 04 for sale with 21k miles. *First* The car has been in an accident in which the passenger side was hit screwing up the doors. Has been fixed, however the rear door doesn't open from the outside due to the handle being messed up but it does open from the inside. Along with the accident, rear arm had to be replaced, not quite sure right or left. Frame seems to be fine...but i could be wrong. Either way, the repair on the doors looks shabby so they'll have to be replaced. *Second* owner states that clutch is completely wasted. When i came to see the car, it had no wheels and was onjack stands due to the wheels being used on his other ride. So no test drive yet. Continues on to state that he drove the car down to SD for buyer test drive and that buyer ran the clutch into the ground which resulted in him having to tow the car back. Not sold so that raises question. Now obviously you'd have to test drive a car before you buy it so no questions there. Owner advised that it'd be cool to take up and down the block because it does crawl, but not safe for streets with worn clutch. Also has an aftermarket clutch avail with car, but was taken out to sell...Iffy about that one. Anyways, *third* and final thing is that when car was running, smelt smell like natural gas. now car does have mods of intake and bov, but is that smell common? Sorry I'm new to force induction and I'm not too sure if thats a leak or if its common, but owner says its the bov. Owner seems real cool about everything and states that it was taken into SC mitsu for diagnostic. I'm just wondering if its worth dragging down there myself for checkup and whether not I could drive it there. Cause he keeps referring to towing it.

So to wrap things up. I know i need a test drive, and I know I should probably have it checked out by dealership for go. My biggest questions are, is it worth the buy at $15000, and should it still be covered by warranty? My thinking was no because it would have been voided after the mods right?

Please help. Any suggestions and tips would def. help. I want my EVO!* :'( and for 15 at those miles its a pretty good steal.

j_nizzle
07-25-2006, 07:07 PM
i wouldnt buy it. i would buy this one: http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=25231.0

speedracer2169
07-25-2006, 07:29 PM
No its not think about you are buyin an evo that has been involved in accident needs a new clutch and who knows what else can be wrong. What about long term damage from the accident. Go buy one at the dealer hell you can get one certified for like 700 bucks or so more

OMEGA
07-25-2006, 07:46 PM
sounds like a really bad combo there are probably a lot of hidden problems that will only hadd up to a big headache in the long run

gofaster87
07-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Forget that car, sounds like one big pile of shit thats been fucked.

oOCujoOo
07-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'mma pass on this one, but damn...thought this was gonna be it.* :-\ Anyways, regarding that natural gas smell. Is that right, or was my nose just trippin?