PDA

View Full Version : CARB/REFS/POLICE....staying safe? how?

daniel
07-30-2006, 11:17 PM
After reading a lot of your stories I didn't want to end up spending a bunch of money on items that will get me in more trouble and cost me more money. So I've been thinking of putting my stock airbox and BOV back on and getting rid of my Power enterprise. boost controller/boost guage also.

I'll be doing the WORKS TR340 [flash, throttle body, 269 cams, drop in filter] which passes smog and keeps the engine bay stock looking with my RMR Turbo back w/ cat (street legal with supporting paperwork) and Works O2 housing. I have no tint on my car and the only exterior mod is an APR front splitter. The only weakness I can think of is the lack of a front plate but that's easily fixed.

I also want to put in the DEFI BF gauges too. The DEFI gauges look really clean but will these get me into any trouble? They are obviously read only (doens't have boost controller written on it like the PE unit). I could only think that I would be questioned about them if the citing officer was particularly nosey but that's about it. The 269 cams are pretty mild so there shouldn't be any extreme idling or anything if for some reason I have to visit a ref - yes yes? The Works 02 housing isn't exactly "stock looking" with the thermal coating on it either but someone would have to SERIOUSLY look for it.

Any advice would be good.

Skiracer
07-31-2006, 09:28 AM
I chopped off the 5" tip of my exhaust and welded on a 3" pipe instead. I run the stock airbox with K&N dropin. Also, i'm using this for my Defi gauges. Yes you ccan't see them as well, but the popo can't see them as well either
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/machevo_1903_12849015

daniel
07-31-2006, 09:31 AM
I chopped off the 5" tip of my exhaust and welded on a 3" pipe instead. I run the stock airbox with K&N dropin. Also, i'm using this for my Defi gauges. Yes you ccan't see them as well, but the popo can't see them as well either
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/machevo_1903_12849015

I was going to use that same basic style but in the OE radio location...my exhaust is pretty low key and quiet as is.. tip is only 3".

Anyone have feedback about the works boost tube/O2 housing with a ref?

xEviLxVIIIx
07-31-2006, 09:54 AM
the ref's will most likely find the 02 housing.

kimletrim
07-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Cops are less likely to see the Defi BF gauges if the key is out of the ignition! With the guages non-powered, cops see no needles, no numbers, just blank black circles.

wj4
07-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Cops are less likely to see the Defi BF gauges if the key is out of the ignition! With the guages non-powered, cops see no needles, no numbers, just blank black circles.

rofl, speaking of that...i think the blitz will have a better chance since they turn to mirror when off. you can say its for cosmetic usage.

it all depends on luck man. there are heavily modded evos out there running for years and havent got harrassed yet, and there are folks with a catback for a day and got pulled over.

like stated go with as stock looking as possible...no bling bling intake, bov or any shiny parts. u can run the whole turboback but maybe get a stocker than stock looking exhaust tip.

daniel
07-31-2006, 10:59 AM

I guess my questions is ARE THEY ILLEGAL if they're read only? I'm sure they'll see them and ask.

kimletrim
07-31-2006, 11:02 AM
They are perfectly legal. They are guages, not modifiers of any kind. If they were rendered illegal we wouldn't see guages as a stock pieces on Cobalts, Stis, 350Zs, etc... Heck, if they were illegal, they would have to pull over those 4x4s running transmission fluid temp guages and boost gauages.

daniel
07-31-2006, 11:03 AM
the ref's will most likely find the 02 housing.

is it worth to even get then? It's a bitch to put-on/remove.

xEviLxVIIIx
07-31-2006, 11:37 AM
probably not, they know what to look for. they been seeing alot of sti and evos

daniel
07-31-2006, 12:01 PM

I'm keeping the the stock heatshield...wouldn't it be prettty difficult? hmm... i'm torn on this 1 piece.

Macky
07-31-2006, 12:58 PM

I'm keeping the the stock heatshield...wouldn't it be prettty difficult? hmm... i'm torn on this 1 piece.

if you can keep your car at least look low-key, i dont think you should be worried about getting pulled over. keep your mods low key as well, and i dont see you having a problem.

daniel
07-31-2006, 03:07 PM

if you can keep your car at least look low-key, i dont think you should be worried about getting pulled over. keep your mods low key as well, and i dont see you having a problem.

you've heard my exhaust right? i think it's pretty low key. Nothing like Terrence's.