PDA

View Full Version : Car Alarm Install

silex
08-01-2006, 09:31 AM
Looking for a place that will do a car alarm and remote start install into the IX. I know it's not a good idea to do remote start, but I need to get that part of my alarm working so that I can use the built-in turbo timer function. Plus I know I always leave the car in neutral, and on the off-chance that I forget, the tt won't activate so that's reminder enough I'm still in gear.

silex
08-09-2006, 07:54 PM
I still seek to know :).

Dagul
08-09-2006, 09:48 PM
You can have a car alarm installed and do a partial wire job to have the turbo timer portion work and not the remote start... Remote start is icing on the cake, but takes more work and parts and probably will drive the cost up... The again... It depends on the car alarm you want...

Have you decided what alarm you want???

silex
08-10-2006, 08:47 AM
I already have all the parts actually. Which might cause issues with some installers that force you to buy their system. I have all the parts I need already. Bought the one shown here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand-New-2-WAY-LCD-ALARM-REMOTE-START-TURBO-TIMER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33721QQihZ009QQit emZ190017628565QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Supposedly a well known unit in Europe. Also have a generic transponder bypass module. I have also the instructions for an install into a 2006 Lancer (seller couldn't locate the evo, but I'm sure it's similar) and also the wiring scheme for the bypass unit. I've tried installing it myself, but I don't trust myself enough to cut into the thick ignition wire and get everything working right. I'd rather pay someone and get it done right the first time with warranty.

Now how do you wire up an alarm to get the tt function w/o remote start?

Dagul
08-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Depending on te transponder bypass, usually, you need another coded key to put into the transponder bypass box...

For remote start to work, you need a relay for the clutch safety switch.

For just the turbo timer function, all you need to do is tap the remote start activation wire to you hand brake... That is assuming turbotimer mode is activated via remote prior to removing key from ignition...

As for your ignition wires... They do not need to be cut... Just tapped... Best way to do so, strip some of the insulation and solder the wire to what your tapping...

The only wire I've seen needed to be cut is the starter wire for your antigrind circuit and starter kill...

As for a warrantied install, its hard to find a place that'll warranty something you bought elsewhere not to mention you previous install attempt, but it doesn't mean they won't install it for you... :grin:

silex
08-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Argh, good to know. I do have a second coded key. Didn't everybody get two keys when they bought their evos? I don't like that idea of having to push a button to activate the tt everytime I get out. Remote start would make it the same way without having to worry about that. If I'm going tod o it, might as well go all the way. I think I got a relay for the clutch bypass, but if not, i have a couple left in my collection. Can't I just unplug the clutch switch though? Same thing I believe. Maybe I'll give it a go myself again.

Dagul
08-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Okay, unplugging the clutch switch screws with your fuel map... It's intended to create a temporary lean condition between shifts to avoid bogging... By running a constant lean condition you risk burning your cat if that RNR TBE includes a catalyst...

That's why you want a relay... You cut one wire (not both) on the clutch wire and wire one side to the constant on the relay and the other end to the normally closed pin on the relay... run 12v to your choice and use groud to active the relay through the remote start output of the alarm...

Yes, everyone gets two keys, but it's nice having a phyisical spare that you can use instead of donating that to your transponder box because for safety reasons I would cut the head off the key before putting it in the transponder box... Or buy a UNCUT key and spend the 70 bucks for the dealer to code the key but not cut it...

The choice is yours...

Anyway, as for pushing the button to activate your turbotimer is standard on the alarms I have close experience with... I don't know how your particular alarm works...

Another more expensive alarm. 'compustar alarm' requires you to do a CERTAIN SEQUENCE of events to activate the turbotimer function and clear it remote start on manual transmission cars...

silex
08-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Well it's eithee suck it up and do this thing myself and find somebody willing to do everything. It will be easier to just do the first, but that's not saying much.

wj4
08-14-2006, 09:21 AM
where are you located? so ppl can recommend shops by your house.

silex
08-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Weekdays I'm near South LA in El Segundo. Weekends are spent in San Diego. If you guys know anybody that can do the full install that would be best. The whole enchilada: alarm, remote start, turbo timer, and transponder bypass.

socal_HKS_evo8
09-21-2006, 09:35 PM
i duno but my only suggestion is super autobacs

socal_HKS_evo8
09-21-2006, 09:37 PM
i duno my only suggestion is super autobacs

11-26-2006, 11:22 AM
there is a place in westminster. they are on beach blvd. they are one of the best installers that i have seen. if you have not found a place yet then let me know ill get you a number.