PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain oils

evomrguy
08-13-2006, 10:43 PM
So Ive taken my 1g, 2g, gvr4, and my evo to you guys for parts and maintanence and the occasional work on the car for as long as Ive owned dsms. And always it has been redline shockproof and bg synchromesh for the cars. My main question to you guys is about the trans oil. I have put bg in all my dsms and it has shifted like butter. And as long as Ive ran it Ive never encountered any problems with my transmissions. However on my 6spd evo I have found the bg to do the opposite, it has caused much notchier shifting. Now I know diaqueen doesnt offer the level of protection the bg does and when pushing the car hard I dont really notice it. When driving around town though, and especially when cold it is a real pain in the ass and makes me wish I was back with the diaqueen. Do you guys have any other suggestions for trans fluid that works better in the 6spd? I dont want to end up like the guy in the general forum with his internals of his trans in little bitty pieces. I know a trans cooler is a good idea and will be coming by for one soon but for now I can only afford to run the best fluid I can. And as far as Im concerned what you say works is what I will run. However since the 6spd is relatively new I am hoping you might have other suggestions, or are you going to start carrying something that might be suited better for the 6spds, or am I stuck with the notchy bg? my main concern has been safety of the trans and synchros, second concern being ease of drivability. If possible it would be nice to have both.

Mike W
08-13-2006, 11:24 PM
So Ive taken my 1g, 2g, gvr4, and my evo to you guys for parts and maintanence and the occasional work on the car for as long as Ive owned dsms. And always it has been redline shockproof and bg synchromesh for the cars. My main question to you guys is about the trans oil. I have put bg in all my dsms and it has shifted like butter. And as long as Ive ran it Ive never encountered any problems with my transmissions. However on my 6spd evo I have found the bg to do the opposite, it has caused much notchier shifting. Now I know diaqueen doesnt offer the level of protection the bg does and when pushing the car hard I dont really notice it. When driving around town though, and especially when cold it is a real pain in the ass and makes me wish I was back with the diaqueen. Do you guys have any other suggestions for trans fluid that works better in the 6spd? I dont want to end up like the guy in the general forum with his internals of his trans in little bitty pieces. I know a trans cooler is a good idea and will be coming by for one soon but for now I can only afford to run the best fluid I can. And as far as Im concerned what you say works is what I will run. However since the 6spd is relatively new I am hoping you might have other suggestions, or are you going to start carrying something that might be suited better for the 6spds, or am I stuck with the notchy bg? my main concern has been safety of the trans and synchros, second concern being ease of drivability. If possible it would be nice to have both.

The DSM guys have always had a secret mix they called the "Scot Gray Mix" It is two Redline MTLs and one BG Syncroshift. The other internet darling is the BG II which is a synthetic version of the standard BG Syncroshift. THen again is the similar to the MTL but thicker Redline MT-90.

Mike W

evomrguy
08-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Mike I have tried both bg II and bg, I notice a huge difference on the dsms between the two, I am much more partial to the bg. However I didnt notice much of a difference on for the evo 6 speed, cant say I cared for either. I will be in for some fluid soon, I will need it in about 800 miles. I think Ill try out this "Scot Gray Mix" you speak of. You think it might make a change for the better on the 6 speed? Do you give it the thumbs up for track abuse? Thanks for the help Mike.

1of1000MR
08-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Shaun, I've been running bg and it works fine with me. Still really smooth. I don't know why ur having problems with it. Maybe the 6-spd is taking a dump??? It's wierd though because I imagone that u drive pretty chill. It could be a manufacture defect or something like that.

turbolarry
08-15-2006, 12:47 AM
... I imagone that u drive pretty chill.

:2funny:
If that's "chill..."

Mike W
08-15-2006, 02:44 AM
I have always trusted the Redline products the most. But then all these DSM kids kept coming in asking for BG because The Internet told them that they needed it. It seemed to work just as well for most cars. Still some cars seemed to prefer one over the other.

Scot's old 1G liked the mix, he told The Internet once and then The Internet started telling everyone to axe for it. Some days I love The Internet, some days I hate it... you know? Now the internet is telling people to use Diaqueen. Sweet, I'll stock that too. I try not to argue too much with the awesome power that is The Internet. When I argue with The Internet I just get less sleep and dont make any more money.

It is kind of hard to tell what really works. Guys will have some totally wrong Valvoline 75/90 in their car and then change it to any of the possible internet darling oils. "Viola" tranny rebuild in a bottle, gotta +1 bump reccomend this magic oil to everyone.

Another guy will have a tranny all half killed from what ever abuse, on it's last legs and change the oil to an internet darling oil and a week later it blows up. OMG hte heXor! The internet oil broke my tranny!! Now this oil is cursed this week.

And then nut5winger69 gets a pm from alp4a5h3mAle about how really internet darling tranny builder to the stars says that really the first disgraced internet darling oil is the shizzle and here we go again. No sleep and not sure if this is making me any money.

Mike W

trinydex
08-15-2006, 04:58 AM
overly notchy with bg seems to be the word on the street with mr 6 speeds. sucks.

question is, why is it notchy? too thick or too thin? prolly too thick right cuz the 75-90 works just fine. so maybe you should try a lil mixing of your own, some thick bg with... shrugs.

Muellerized...
08-15-2006, 09:37 AM
overly notchy with bg seems to be the word on the street with mr 6 speeds. sucks.

question is, why is it notchy? too thick or too thin? prolly too thick right cuz the 75-90 works just fine. so maybe you should try a lil mixing of your own, some thick bg with... shrugs.

I prefer the gates of the 5 speed box.

The 6speeds I have driven on track seem to shift slower when shifting at redline, and seem easier to grind on the upshifts, or they do that lovely cable shifter action of shifting hard without grinding audibly, and the trans has accelerated wear due to an unclean engagment of the gears. Why 4th seems to wear first has a lot to do with it being the most common gear to run in, and the fact to engage 4th you are pushing the cable into the cable housing, which gives you much less leverage on engaging the gear, no matter how much or how little physical force you are using on the shifter. Stiffening the motor mounts and reducing flex on the cable mountings will help to have a more positive, accurate feel to the shifter.

When I use a slower/smoother shifting rhythm, both types of gearboxes seem happier, proper rev matching and being smooth on releasing the clutch pedal after making a shift seems to have a significant effect on trans wear.

We run BGII in anything that will see biggee turbo torque for extended periods of time, and I have used regular BG in my track day Evo since it was new with excellent results.

earlyapex
08-15-2006, 10:48 AM

My 6spd was very smooth before I blew it up. It was notchy earlier in its life but smoothed out alot around 5,000 miles. BG2 felt great in it, better then the stock diaqueen.

trinydex
08-15-2006, 01:54 PM
so perhaps it's a matter of your 6 speed warming up to it? or perhaps that was an indication of wear? this is all very aggravating, everyone should get 5 speeds. copying hte sti was the worst move that mitsu made, screw marketing.

earlyapex
08-15-2006, 02:14 PM
I believe gearboxes take that long to break in. Which is probably why the first drivetrain oil change looks all nasty like and has chia pets on the drain plug magnents.

evomrguy
08-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Usually the large amounts of metal on the drain plug are left over shavings from taping the holes in everything from the factory and with the gears braking in, at least thats the case at my toyota dealership. You should see the kinds of metal on the drainplug we get, makes the first gearfluid change look just wonderful, much worse than the mitsus Ive seen.

Mike as far as you were saying with everything. I havent really followed my fluid changes with what the internet says unless you count your own homepage and robert telling me what to buy. ;) In either case the bg hasnt really worked out for me as well as the diaqueen did, and I dont want to go back to diaqueen since my car sees abuse. Next time I make it in there I will come talk to you about trying out another one of your recommendations until I find something that works for me in my situation. Who knows, I could just have a trans built on monday or friday, and if thats the case then when 4th goes Ill send it to shep and when I get it back Ill go back to running bg. Thanks for all the info.

Muellerized...
08-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Usually the large amounts of metal on the drain plug are left over shavings from taping the holes in everything from the factory and with the gears braking in, at least thats the case at my toyota dealership. You should see the kinds of metal on the drainplug we get, makes the first gearfluid change look just wonderful, much worse than the mitsus Ive seen.

Mike as far as you were saying with everything. I havent really followed my fluid changes with what the internet says unless you count your own homepage and robert telling me what to buy. ;) In either case the bg hasnt really worked out for me as well as the diaqueen did, and I dont want to go back to diaqueen since my car sees abuse. Next time I make it in there I will come talk to you about trying out another one of your recommendations until I find something that works for me in my situation. Who knows, I could just have a trans built on monday or friday, and if thats the case then when 4th goes Ill send it to shep and when I get it back Ill go back to running bg. Thanks for all the info.

Make sure your clutch is adjusted properly, if it does not disengage enough, your trans will be notchy no matter what fluid you piss into it.

evomrguy
08-15-2006, 07:08 PM

Make sure your clutch is adjusted properly, if it does not disengage enough, your trans will be notchy no matter what fluid you piss into it.

Thanks for the tip john. O0 Ill probably check the adjustment this coming weekend and see if it helps.