PDA

View Full Version : Stock tracking

bd307
08-15-2006, 10:19 AM
I started a post couple months ago to ask you guys about some track days advices, and now, I THINK I am ready for the SOW event on end of the month.

However, I have concerns if the tires, and brake pads are able to withstand the weekend of "abuse" on the track.

I've been to SOW about 2 years ago with my other car, so this is my first time taking the Evo down there.

The following is what I have on my car now, please advice if the car is able to take the weekend:

Hawk Brake pads (HPS front and rear), Rotora Slotted and Drilled (front and rear disc), Sumitomo HTR Z II (most concern).

Eventually after a few events, I will buy another set of rims and RA-1 tires for track use only. But for the time being, I do not want to spend the money on ($500 rims and $700+ on tires = $1200) these yet as my skill is not up to what I would like.

Seek advices from those who track your car often (Richard?).

Another piece of advice I am looking for is where can I get a decent helmet with decent price? Last time when I looked into the helmet regulation, most of them want us to have a helmet with a certain required Shell number. Please advice.

Hope seeing you track whores there and show me some of your skill in the Evo.

;)

speedracer2169
08-15-2006, 10:26 AM
helmet you can get a cheap one at autobacs or borrow a motorcycle helmet.i think the pads are fine the rotors i'm not sure you may want to invest in stainless steel lines and if you have your stock rotors take those with you in case the rotoras crack. The tires probably wontbe stiff enough so expect some sidewall flex but at least its a good learning lesson O0

BlueBooster
08-15-2006, 10:47 AM
If you go to SOW at the end of this month be prepared to set your brakes on fire it you are using the Hawk HPS pads. I set mine on fire just bedding them in on the street. I'm used to the Performance Friction pads from RRE - they never set on fire, but I had installed SS brake lines just in case - I'd recommend the same or go easy on the braking. I found that the HPS pads fade real quick compared to the other pads I mentioned.

bd307
08-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the prompt advice.

Can one explain to me why I may need the stainless steel lines for my Rotoras disc? And why they may crack?

My stock ones are thrown away already, so I do not have another set.

Please explain to me why the discs may crack as I am new to these stuff.

bd307
08-15-2006, 10:50 AM
From blueboost, so I guess the reason why the discs may crack is due to pads with the high temperature?

The pads are basically new. Ran them for about 1500 miles only.

Please give suggestion.

speedracer2169
08-15-2006, 11:12 AM
they can crack because they are cross drilled. Cross drilled rotors tend to have pretty big cracks under heavy load. Cross drilled rotors are more for street and help lessen the unsprung weight but the weight differences is minimal. If you are looking for a lighter rotor than consider a 2 piece rotor rather than cross drilled. The brake lines are rubber and when heated the lines will begin to expand. When they expand you will feel more pedal travel but less braking. Using SS lines will not allow the lines to expand enhancing the pedal feel and giving you even greater control of your braking on the track

speedracer2169
08-15-2006, 11:13 AM
From blueboost, so I guess the reason why the discs may crack is due to pads with the high temperature?

The pads are basically new. Ran them for about 1500 miles only.

Please give suggestion.

i made a brake buyer's guide and it has some info in there and trinydex has also made another thread about rotors too

bd307
08-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks Speedracer2169!

Too bad I did not read the section before I made the choice on the Rotoras. The Rotoras discs and pads were installed at the same time, so they only have 1500 miles.

Richard EVO
08-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Those are all sensible questions and you are smart to ask them. I don't have experience with the specific rotors, pads and tires you have, so I can't really be of much help there.

Generally speaking, wear on your brakes and tires is going to depend on how fast you go around the track. How would you rate your own driving skills at this point -- beginner, intermediate or advanced? The faster laptimes you post, the greater the wear on your brakes and tires.

It seems to me that a bone stock EVO (stock brakes and tires) could handle one weekend at Streets of Willow without an inordinate amount of wear, and your aftermarket parts should fare that much better. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are Fangio. Go out and have fun.

BlueBooster
08-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the prompt advice.

Can one explain to me why I may need the stainless steel lines for my Rotoras disc? And why they may crack?

My stock ones are thrown away already, so I do not have another set.

Please explain to me why the discs may crack as I am new to these stuff.
As explained to me is that if your brakes catch fire and you have rubber lines - they melt as opposed to the SS lines which wont. Also, SS brake lines have nothing to do with pad or disc or caliper selection. They simply run from the hard line that comes from the master cylinder to the caliper.

Just go easy on the braking and you should be fine. I did my first track event on stock lines and there was no fire. Of course I was running the performance friction pads and it was a very cool temp outside and wasn't dive bombing corners and using my brakes to the fullest possibility. You have to be really hard on them to get them hot enough to flame on!

Richard EVO
08-15-2006, 02:21 PM
The key to avoiding damage to your rotors on the track is to take an honest cool down lap at the end of every run session. When you see the checkered flag, take an entire lap at a speed just slow enough that you don't have to touch your brakes at all, but no slower than that. If you don't think you got a good cool down lap, drive around the paddock a couple of times after coming off track without touching your brakes.

bd307
08-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all the useful information. After someone said I need a new pads and some other non-cross drilled discs, I am a little afraid going on the track for the 2 days.

Thanks for Richard's suggestion on taking a cool down lap after the checker flag is on and don't touch the brakes at all. What is a paddock at SOW btw? If I remeber it correctly, there is a big area around the exit of the track (clockwise). Is that the place that you are talking about? We are allowed to drive there?

bd307
08-15-2006, 02:47 PM
If I do not have to replace whatever I have right now, I am pretty sure I will go. I just need a helmet.

So Autobacs has some cheaper helmets that are qualified and meet the requirements?

Please let me know as it will be a long term use.

Richard EVO
08-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Streets of Willow is a "technical" (read: relatively low speed with lots of turns) track. Â*You are not going to be hauling your EVO down from 130 mph over and over, like you would on the big track at Willow Springs. Â*I don't think you will have a problem, but that's just my opinion.

As for helmets, I bought a DOT approved open-face helmet at a local motorcycle shop for $70 about 3 years ago when I first started tracking, and I still use it. I have no idea what Snell rating it is, but no one has ever questioned it in about 80 track days over all that time.

speedracer2169
08-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Streets of Willow is a "technical" (read: relatively low speed with lots of turns) track. You are not going to be hauling your EVO down from 130 mph over and over, like you would on the big track at Willow Springs. I don't think you will have a problem, but that's just my opinion.

+1 just make sure you check your brakes and rotors often during the event. O0

Absinthe
08-15-2006, 02:53 PM
I am with richard evo even though I am light on brakes when i track i never had an issue with my stock brakes on my first evo track day and I was at T-hill. Infact I tracked my evo with only about 400-500 miles on the odometer and it was totally stock.

It worked out fine, and it also showed me right away where i thought the car was deficient and I was able to buy a mod that helped to fix that. Rather than modding and then realizing that the short coming that bothered me most was not addressed, an issue I had with my wrx.

bd307
08-15-2006, 03:29 PM
I will take you guys' words for it.

The only thing I need to buy is the helmet.

Just got oil change and filter not long ago, so that is taken care of.

Hopefully seeing you guys out there with my wife and friends!

Any of you guys going? So I can tag along and you guys show me some driving tips and maintence stuff.

Richard EVO
08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
I will be there if my mechanical issues are resolved by then.

Be sure to bring an extra quart of oil and a tire pressure guage.

bd307
08-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Will do for sure.

Also, I read from other members that Evo's dipstick is tend to pop up by itself when on track. True?

Is so, what do I use to keep it secured?

Absinthe
08-15-2006, 04:13 PM
zip tie

tanK
08-15-2006, 04:41 PM
I will take you guys' words for it.

The only thing I need to buy is the helmet.

Just got oil change and filter not long ago, so that is taken care of.

Hopefully seeing you guys out there with my wife and friends!

Any of you guys going? So I can tag along and you guys show me some driving tips and maintence stuff.

What event are you going to? Like date-wise.

smokinevo9
08-15-2006, 04:50 PM
as for the track no one really knows how you drive so just go out there and drive. next time you track your car at sow youll probably know what to get so youll be hooked up on track. if your wallet is unlimited first get some tires , suspension and etc. imo
i hope this helps a little

Richard EVO
08-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Also, I read from other members that Evo's dipstick is tend to pop up by itself when on track. True?

Is so, what do I use to keep it secured?

Actually, 2 zip ties put together, and run under the little bracket to the right of the dipstick and through the handle of the dipstick. I have seen dipsticks pop out on track in 2 other EVOs )not mine), and it makes a real mess.

BlueBooster
08-15-2006, 06:51 PM
If I do not have to replace whatever I have right now, I am pretty sure I will go. I just need a helmet.

So Autobacs has some cheaper helmets that are qualified and meet the requirements?

Please let me know as it will be a long term use.
most sowÂ* events that are performance driving require snell 95 and higher. I don't think anyone is allowed to sell snell95 anymore as that is outdated. You'll only find snell 2000 and up. However, double check with the group running as to what they expect. Super Autobachs has some helmets with these god aweful designs on them for 50 bux or regular helmets with no design for 100 bux. Take your pics - just make sure to try it on at the store to make sure it is a comfortable fit cause there is zero return policy if you no likey (only return if defective).

evobeaner
08-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Listen to Richard, he is very knowledgeable about this. he zip tied my dipstick at my 1st track day last week.
my MR had 11,000 miles with the original tires and brakes when i went.
my oil level never changed whatsoever. the tires on the other hand looked like they where sanded down with small chunks missing.
i was not taking it easy at all. going into the 1st turn i was consistently reaching 100mph.
after the bowl my speed was around 105mph.
as for the brakes they look great still. all this after running a few hours on sat.
they also never asked me about my helmet rating, which was a m2000 rating.
listen to Richard and you will not have any problems at all bud.

Barfly
08-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Your setup should be fine. I tracked my first few events stock. As your speeds increase, you will notice more and more brake fade and that would be the first thing to address (better pads, SS lines). Not sure what type of Hawk pads you have. HPS pads are a little soft for aggressive track use, but they could serve you reasonably well for the occasional event. If you are running DTC-60, then you should be in even better shape.

Hope to see you on the track soon!