PDA

View Full Version : Unlocked Phones

DTunedEvoX
08-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Any one know what cool phones I can use with Verizon thats superior to my LGVX9800? That I can get unlocked? How would I go about "activating" it for use with my carrier? Anyone know how that works? :-(

Lancer EVO IX
08-21-2006, 09:09 AM
go here for the dopest phones that won't be available in the states. but u can buy all of them w/ the exception of the "coming soon" phones.

www.gsmarena.com

ultraflip
08-21-2006, 09:11 AM
go here for the dopest phones that won't be available in the states. but u can buy all of them w/ the exception of the "coming soon" phones.

www.gsmarena.com

unfortunetly that won't help ginuwine as gsm arena only deals with gsm phonse... verizon uses cdma... ;)

and as far as the "coming soon" thing... not entirely true... it all depends on the release date given by the manufacturer... gsmarena tends to lag w/ updating their stie

Lancer EVO IX
08-21-2006, 09:15 AM

www.gsmarena.com

unfortunetly that won't help ginuwine as gsm arena only deals with gsm phonse... verizon uses cdma... ;)

and as far as the "coming soon" thing... not entirely true... it all depends on the release date given by the manufacturer... gsmarena tends to lag w/ updating their stie

doh! my bad.
cris, do u get good deals on on gsm phones? i really want the samsung Z540....but can't find any decent prices.

ultraflip
08-21-2006, 09:16 AM
not really.. i'm competitive though... lets not forget that i don't sell on this forum

DTunedEvoX
08-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Nice site- thanks for the insight - but looks like I cant use those per ultraflip ..
I'm no cell phone connoisseur (omg spell check works!) lol ... I'll keep lookin! I dont want to buy a Motorola Q if I dont have to! LOL ..

ultraflip
08-21-2006, 09:48 AM
motorola q is a good phone

DTunedEvoX
08-21-2006, 10:09 AM
motorola q is a good phone

So you think its worth getting over my lgvx9800?

Motorola Q> LGVX9800? I just dont wanna renew my plan ughhh lol

gofaster87
08-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Man phones are for speaking not break dancing and becoming a professional photographer. As long as you can call someone its good enough. I cant understand you phone fetish people.

DTunedEvoX
08-21-2006, 10:56 AM
I guess the same can be said for cars ?

drmosh
08-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Verizon is CDMA eVDO there are no unlocked phones because there are no SIM cards.

gofaster87
08-21-2006, 11:20 AM

Not really, completely different ballpark. I would put phone fetish in the same category as shoe fetish.

DTunedEvoX
08-21-2006, 12:24 PM

Not really, completely different ballpark. I would put phone fetish in the same category as shoe fetish.

Hmmm I see .. I only have 5 pairs of shoes so I'm good lol ...

Verizon is CDMA eVDO there are no unlocked phones because there are no SIM cards.

Does that mean I'm SOL?

drmosh
08-21-2006, 02:32 PM

Does that mean I'm SOL?

Yeap

DTunedEvoX
08-21-2006, 03:07 PM

Does that mean I'm SOL?

Yeap

Ahh faQ I guess I'll look into the Motorola Q LOL

drmosh
08-21-2006, 03:21 PM

Does that mean I'm SOL?

Yeap

I have the Q, it is a decent phone, it's faster than most CE devices since it doesn't have the touchscreen code but the best part about it is that you can modify the piss out of it since you can access the XML portion of the phone.

There are shortcomings though...

1. Bluetooth causes the phone to lock or slowdown after a while - no big deal most phones bluetooth does the same thing... bluetooth just sucks in general.

2. Battery life is crap since it's a Motorola... as usual...

3. Screwing up your XML while hotrodding to the extreme (like me) will cause your phone to be unbootable unless you hook it up to a computer and attempt to reset the XML in under 10 seconds (trust me I went through all this).

4. Windows has crappy power management, if you run out of battery your phone will just turn off, no warning.

Otherwise, I like the phone because I can hack the sh*t out of it.

DTunedEvoX
08-21-2006, 03:43 PM

Does that mean I'm SOL?

Yeap

I have the Q, it is a decent phone, it's faster than most CE devices since it doesn't have the touchscreen code but the best part about it is that you can modify the piss out of it since you can access the XML portion of the phone.

There are shortcomings though...

1. Bluetooth causes the phone to lock or slowdown after a while - no big deal most phones bluetooth does the same thing... bluetooth just sucks in general.

2. Battery life is crap since it's a Motorola... as usual...

3. Screwing up your XML while hotrodding to the extreme (like me) will cause your phone to be unbootable unless you hook it up to a computer and attempt to reset the XML in under 10 seconds (trust me I went through all this).

4. Windows has crappy power management, if you run out of battery your phone will just turn off, no warning.

Otherwise, I like the phone because I can hack the sh*t out of it.

Damn that sounds like fun! If I can find one without having to extend my plan and pay and arm and a leg I'll probably own one really soon!

Coolguy949
08-21-2006, 08:35 PM
there are no unlocked verizon or sprint phones because there's nothing to unlock. The reason you cant use a sprint phone on verizon is because the IMEI number on the phone wont be on verizon's approved list. The wont let you activate another carrier's phone. Also, i beleive verizon and sprint operate at different CDMA frequencies.

speedracer2169
09-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Anyone know of any places in the IE where i can get my razr unlocked?

touchmyjagee
09-27-2006, 12:53 PM
theres this one korean cell phone store in buena park that has all the newest imported phones. they only work with verizon, and the price is amazing.

the new chocolate II from LG is free with activation, along with the new SKY phones.

ernald711
12-06-2006, 07:56 PM
i kno i'm late, but the new enV is out now... the VX9900. when closed, it's as big as the bottom part of the 9800