PDA

View Full Version : RallyX event this Sat (8/26) CANCELLED

rollo
08-21-2006, 12:11 PM
SWRallyX presents Glen Helen 3
Saturday, August 26 2006
Glen Helen Raceway Park
San Bernardino, CA

This is the last Glen Helen event of the year - as long as they get enough entries anyway. GH2 was a bit too sparsely attended and the organiser took a loss on it, so they need enough pre-reg entries (37) to ensure they'll break even or the event cannot be run. (Pre-reg is not paying, it's just saying that you'll be there.) The price is $50 or thereabouts, and you need a helmet (and a car).

So if you're thinking about it, now is the time to stop thinking and do it :D

http://www.swrallyx.com - click on the "Pre-register here" link to the left to sign up.

From where I live (Orange) to Glen Helen takes about 30-40 minutes - not bad at all. I take the 91 to the 215.

The 'work' aspect of the day is easy - you get a radio, and you go and stand up any cones that get knocked over and report them. It's really no big deal. There are also loads of great opportunities to snag good photos with all the dirt flying around, there's very reasonably priced food and drink available all day and loads of EZ-UPs so you can get out of the sun.

To answer the questions from the previous thread:

- You get four runs (two forward and two reverse) plus fun runs if there's time at the end of the day

- It is basically auto-x on dirt. Obviously the cones are a lot further apart to allow you to slide, drift and so on.

- There are no practice rallyx days as far as I'm aware. It doesn't have nearly the infrastructure behind it that auto-x does, and the complexity of running an event means that they are few and far between. There are occasionally "non-CRS points" events but I'm not sure how different they are.

The emphasis is definitely on the fun of doing it as opposed to the prizes or the glory or whatever.

Your car won't get beat up unless it's severely lowered or running massive wheels or whatever (common sense really). It'll get dirty, for sure, but Isamu with the yellow Evo has run a load of rallyx events and his car looks fine.

If you need a helment and you live close to Costa Mesa, I got mine from www.pyrotect.com, who have their office over on the Newport side near the DMV. The guy let me try on different sizes and stuff, and was generally cool. The prices were good too. No affiliation or anything - just a good experience.

Any questions, hit me up. I've been to plenty of these things so I can probably answer.

Phil

tanK
08-21-2006, 05:47 PM
I definately wanna try rally-x before I start getting serious suspension work.... (will take a long time)
What is the condition of the course?Â* Is it on a dirt path, grass, gravel?Â* I have a roll of masking tape if its on gravel....
How many people attend these events usually?Â* I mean if its not a bunch of people... more runs possibly?

On the side note, in Newport I got my helmet from http://www.extremesupply.com/index.htm

They gave awesome support/advice. Also gave me a discount for going there in person!

isamu
08-21-2006, 08:45 PM
The course is mixed dirt/gravel and almost flat surface. So masking your clean EVO is good idea. As Rollo said, my car is still clean although I never did masking the car. Even if your car still have stock or street spec shock-spring, don’t worry, your car could be OK. My evo was installed Tanabe coil-over for street spec. But, my car never damaged in Glen Helen before.

If your car is lower than stock such as -1 inch, please be care your front bumper. (may be lose... 8))

Usually, we have 4 run + several fun run (more than 4). I guess 40 cars will come.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h226/ikakitani/Glen%20Helen%2005-21-2006/IMG_1336-vi.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h226/ikakitani/Glen%20Helen%2005-21-2006/FinishEvo-vi.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h226/ikakitani/Glen%20Helen%2005-21-2006/IMG_1441-vi.jpg

rollo
08-21-2006, 11:14 PM
The course is, as you can see, pretty smooth, low friction and serious fun. Evos really are amazingly capable on the loose surface.

Yeah - definitely, fewer people = more runs. However, they of course need enough entries to cover their costs or no rallyx at all :-(

If it goes ahead, this one will likely be on the low side of entries, meaning a very good chance of fun runs.

A quick montage video (with lots of Evo footage):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NLVBBnEZaM

JDMC-WestEVO
08-22-2006, 12:19 AM
i have the C-west body kit and the front is kinda low im still stock height but it sits lower is that a problem? its kinda fucked up anyway so not a big deal its all gettin fixed but just wondering.

tanK
08-22-2006, 12:39 AM
Aww damnit!Â* I just checked and its this Saturday... I have an appointment to realign my car!Â* When is the last day I can register?Â* I will highly consider this... so long as I don't beat up my car.Â* I just went on an auto-x this past Sunday, so the tires are a little beat up.Â* Also, cones fought back and my bumper is a little weak and comming apart at the seams... are there dips and stuff where my nose could hit the ground?

Oh forgot to add, my car is 100% stock.

1of1000MR
08-22-2006, 12:42 AM
OK, I just registered, now when do I pay?

rollo
08-22-2006, 01:00 AM
JDMC-WestEVO: I really don't want to put you off but I'd personally be a bit wary of running a nice bodykit like that at an event like this. Honestly the only time I've ever seen anyone try it was some guy in a slammed S4 on 18s with a bodykit, and that was at the notorious Tombstone course (much worse than GH). He didn't come out too bad, but I have no clue what possessed him to do it. On the other hand, like you say, your car is stock height and if the bumper already needs fixing, then maybe give it a try.

tanK: You can register whenever - walk up on the day if you like. The problem is that the event can't go ahead unless they get enough pre-registrations (i.e. guarantees of an entry). The pre-registration doesn't commit you to anything, it's basically saying "I intend to be there".

There aren't any major bumps or dips, certainly no worse than you get driving city streets. I didn't get the nose into the ground at either of the previous two and I have stock suspension too. The tyres, frankly it doesn't make any difference - all normal road tyres suck on dirt, beat up or not. Of course.. that's why it's fun.. the lack of traction is such a novelty :grin:

Oscar: Awesome. You pay on the day, at the registration table (after tech).

tanK
08-22-2006, 01:05 AM
So they take personal checks yes? I do know a bit on rally-x is that if you run rally tires, you get placed in a different class and whatnot. I personally don't really care if I do well or not, I wanna try it out since I've never been on something like this... I'd be out there for the fun of it. So in saying this I can register and not show up and still be good? I'm really considering this as of now...

rollo
08-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Generally it's cash. Stop by an ATM on the way :) It's $50 if you pre-reg, $55 if you don't.

You can pre-register without any commitment, yes. You're just saying "I intend to drive on that day (and I want to save $5 on my registration fee)".

The competition aspect is very (very) low key. It really is primarily about having a good time and notching up some low friction car control skills.

All of the nitty gritty details are here:
http://www.swrallyx.com/glenhelen/suppregs.php

tanK
08-22-2006, 01:12 AM
So generally cash meaning they WILL take my check or no? Sorry, I wanna be specific. :P

Also that website used to be the old socalrallyx.com right?

lagcisco
08-22-2006, 01:15 AM
Can I just show up at the event and run without pre-registering?

I won't know if I can make it untill that day

tanK
08-22-2006, 01:16 AM
tanK: You can register whenever - walk up on the day if you like.

Generally it's cash. Stop by an ATM on the way :) It's $50 if you pre-reg, $55 if you don't.

You can pre-register without any commitment, yes. You're just saying "I intend to drive on that day (and I want to save $5 on my registration fee)".

Hope that answers it for you lagcisco!

rollo
08-22-2006, 01:21 AM
The regs say no checks. If for some reason you can't pay cash, you could probably figure something out with them prior to the event (email Mike directly in that case) but I'd say it was a lot easier to pay cash.

Yes, it used to be socalrallyx.com but then they got the job of promoting the rallyx part of the Laughlin International Rally and Motorsports Festival (catchy huh) so they changed the name. Cos Laughlin is in Nevada.

tanK
08-22-2006, 01:22 AM
No biggie... just wondering cuz all the auto-x events prefer checks.Â* Only makes sense to take cash since its not as big as auto-x and have a higher risk of NSF's.Â* I registered, and hopefully I can make it out!

Ok enough of this... got work tomorrow :idiot2: :crazy2:

lagcisco
08-22-2006, 01:43 AM
thanks! hopefully I can make it out

Tomasu
08-22-2006, 02:01 AM
Damn that looks like fun.... but too late for me now, i have my coilovers on :-/

rollo
08-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Bummer. There's always the rental route of course (and if you can get few people in to spread the cost, so much the better). One of the regular auto-x guys in Team Blew brought a rental Neon and won his class at GH1.

Or find a friend who'll let you drive :D

tanK
08-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Jack the ride height up Tom!

Tomasu
08-22-2006, 09:17 AM
haha that might work, just dont wanna destroy the dampers.... Ill read up on what people have run for suspension on rally. As far as i know they only use stock suspesion and rally specific coilovers (which are expensive as hell!).....

1of1000MR
08-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Looks like I'm set to do some rally racing!!! See u all on Saturday!!

tanK
08-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Is your car stock 1of1000MR?

rollo
08-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Actually it's not looking too great :| - they need ten more entries by tonight otherwise no go. SoCalEvo.net has stepped up but apparently NASIOC is not :D Which is weird cos the Subie guys always laugh at the Evo guys for their supposed fear of the dirt.

If this one doesn't fly, there is another on September 23 down at Del Mar:
http://www.bigfishmotorsports.com/BFMS_racing.html

That place is supposed to be completely flat (I haven't been there personally), so maybe even okay for coilovers. I'll start a new thread for it when registration opens for non-CRS members, which is Sept 1.

There's also one on Sept 16 in Antioch (but that is a loooong way from here).

Phil

tanK
08-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Actually it's not looking too great :| - they need ten more entries by tonight otherwise no go. SoCalEvo.net has stepped up but apparently NASIOC is not :D Which is weird cos the Subie guys always laugh at the Evo guys for their supposed fear of the dirt.

If this one doesn't fly, there is another on September 23 down at Del Mar:
http://www.bigfishmotorsports.com/BFMS_racing.html

That place is supposed to be completely flat (I haven't been there personally), so maybe even okay for coilovers. I'll start a new thread for it when registration opens for non-CRS members, which is Sept 1.

There's also one on Sept 16 in Antioch (but that is a loooong way from here).

Phil

Aww that sucks! I cleared my Saturday too! Sign up people! I got a roll of masking tape if you're scared!

1of1000MR
08-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Is your car stock 1of1000MR?

TBE, MBC, Greddy V-Spec Intercoller, and Exedy Twin Plate. The ride height is stock.

So there's not going to be an event afterall?? I was really looking foward to this.

rollo
08-23-2006, 03:46 PM
I did mention a few times: they need enough sign-ups or there is no chance of an event. If they don't get enough entries, then the organiser has to cover the difference for the expenses (the facility, the water truck, insurance, sanction fees and so on). He already did that to some extent at the last event, and he can't afford to pony up another 500+ bucks if only 25 people show up. It's possible that 40 people will show up on the day, but that's a pretty big bet for him to make.

I'm sorry if I'm not making sense, I know it's kinda a weird situation. But that is why the pre-reg is important for this event (actually for all rally-x events). I went over to NASIOC (my wife has a Legacy so I'm registered there) and tried to goad more of them into going :D

But if it doesn't go ahead, then Del Mar is your next chance.

rollo
08-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Okay guys, I am very sorry (especially TanK if you rearranged your Saturday) but they didn't get enough people and had to cancel it.

I definitely hope that some/all/more of you will make it to Del Mar on 9/23 and maybe even Laughlin in November (that one promises to be awesome).

This is the official explanation:

I sincerely and whole-heartedly apologize. I did not want to cancel this event - you all know that I very much enjoyed putting on the Glen Helen events.

However, I cannot, at this time, afford to run events where I lose money and Glen Helen 2 lost money for me. If I had the spare cash, it would be one thing - but I don't.

so I put a minimum on the pre-entry which I felt would more or less guarantee my breaking even on the event - lower than the number we had pre-entered at GH1 (41 with a couple of email entries) but definitely higher than at GH2 (29) - I asked for 37.

We have had very few entries this week - we started out at 26 pre-entries and we're 28 now. Nine short.

If we were at 34 or 35 pre-entries. . .different story. Some people have volunteered to make up the 2 or 3 entries we'd be short.

Being 9 entries short. . . I'm very sad to say that I have to cancel the event.

It doesn't mean I'm giving up running events. I'd REALLY like to find a less expensive venue; I'd REALLY like to know why people didn't come out to the last one (or sign up for this one); I'd REALLY like to know how you want me to run events!

Plus, we have Laughlin coming up in November (and I WILL have more details VERY soon - Promise!!!) as well as Lucerne Valley and San Diego in September and Thunderhill in October!

so while this is a setback, it's not a huge deal. Enjoy your weekend, stay in your A/C, and have fun. I'll have details at upcoming events (from Jayson Woodruff, J. Farina and the SFR guys) at http://www.swrallyx.com . . .

Tomasu
08-23-2006, 10:51 PM
damn that sucks...... Wish i coulda helped out , but already took last weekend off for activities :-/

I hope i can go to the september event...

Barfly
08-23-2006, 11:13 PM
That's unfortunate. If I had a more friendly setup for rally, I would have definitely gone. Makes me wish that I had another EVO just to do rally events. :-(

cky_bam_marg
08-23-2006, 11:39 PM
awww damn i jsut read this thread and i was down to go.....thats weenie, and i know 3 people that wouldnt mind entering this also damn i was a day off :'(, ARG and i live liek a second away from glen helen

smokinevo9
08-24-2006, 12:11 AM
that sucks.

1of1000MR
08-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Well, I'll be looking foward to the next event. O0

tanK
08-24-2006, 12:39 AM
Yeah I just got the e-mail. No biggie, I just re-arranged my weekend :P I'll try to make it out the next event, but we'll see how things go!