PDA

View Full Version : Driftbox

Barfly
08-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Just got this puppy in the mail. I'll let you know how well it works after this weekend at SOW. Purchased it for it's laptiming, datalogging, and performance capabilities. Don't have much use for the drifting feature, but cool nonetheless. The unit got a lot of good press in the latest C&D magazine, and I thought I would give it a try. Not bad, given it's feature list.

http://www.vboxusa.com/driftbox/index.php

And no, I don't have stock in the company. :-P

smokinevo9
08-24-2006, 12:12 AM
that thing is expensive....but probably the bomb

Senshi
08-24-2006, 01:56 AM
wow that looks really cool lets us know how good it is for timing at the track

Barfly
08-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Worked like a charm. During the pace lap, I was able to set up to 6 split times as well as the start finish and knew immediately when I ran a good split/lap. I could save the splits/finish line and just load it for the following session. The datalogging is nice as well. I can review corner exit speeds, compare runs, check lateral/longitudinal g's, slip angles, etc. It's expensive, but I figure I plan on runnng a lot more events and the rental transponder fees add up, and they don't offer nearly as many features. Again, I don't get a kickback from the company, but I am pleased with the product.

speedracer2169
08-27-2006, 10:22 PM
you may want to post this information in the buyer's guide with some pics what you like and dont etc..

Barfly
09-04-2006, 01:07 PM
I used the Driftbox (Vbox) GPS system and compared it to the AMB system that SpeedVentures uses, and accounting for an approximation of the start/finish line, it was accurate within 0.1s. I rode with Mark this weekend at WSIR and used his data for the comparison.

It was interesting to look at the lateral Gs pulled through some of the corners. Turn 1 pulls the most Gs followed by turn 3 and then turn 5. My top lap pulled 1.549 Gs through turn 1. Turn 1 and turn 3 was mostly in the 1.35-1.45 G range and turn 5 in the 1.25-1.35G range. It's no wonder my right front tires were toasted this past weekend. Guess I should brake more.Â* :twisted: