PDA

View Full Version : Visual Inspection...Pass Smog with What Mods?

silex
08-24-2006, 10:16 PM
To what extent is the visual inspection done here in Cally? Curious as to what needs to look stock (if anything). Is it safe to do everything back to stock including exhaust, headers, intake, intercooler, radiator, pipings...the whole shibang. Can you get away with things as long as it "looks stock " under the hood?

Also what mods can be left on that will allow you to pass smog? I guess it depends on the answer above.

speedracer2169
08-24-2006, 10:41 PM
if it doesnt have a carb number you wont pass visual

silex
08-25-2006, 12:17 AM
I take it that means you have to put everything back to stock. Where is the carb number on the stock header? I got that ported, polished, and painted black. Don't think that should matter...

You guys still doing crazy stuff like registeing po boxes in florida for your registration. What are you cally guys doing about smog? Have yet to do mine, but just thinking ahead. It's every 2 years right?

wj4
08-25-2006, 12:37 AM
stock parts dont have CARB. CARB stickers are on aftermarket parts to show that it is environment friendly.
for cali, i think new cars have 5 yrs before first smog test and every 2 yrs after that

speedracer2169
08-25-2006, 07:31 AM
stock parts dont have CARB. CARB stickers are on aftermarket parts to show that it is environment friendly.
for cali, i think new cars have 5 yrs before first smog test and every 2 yrs after that

six years unless you get popped or you are importing your car in from another state

cky_bam_marg
08-25-2006, 08:21 AM
yea there really *le gay* about visual in cally, i remembered i passed the sound, and smog, but not the visual which was so dumb, but w/e but the visual stuff the guy did bug me about was my downpipe, and turbo which i was suprised, i dont think he would have bigged be about the HFC if it obviously wasnt welded together.

but yea if its an intake or hard bling pipes, or comes in any other color besides black take it off, also they hassled me about where my boost gauge was teed to which was kinda lame he told me it wasnt the right spot and made me remove it but w/e.......well when u do go in good luck with that its pretty boring waiting 30 minutes-1 hour for them to make there rounds on ur car

silex
08-25-2006, 08:38 AM
So this is stock under the engine. What about stock in the interior aka short shifter?

Man, six years? That's uber ghey beucase I don't want my stock parts to sit around the garage for that long...dayam. Curious as to what parts you guys usually keep around "just in case".

thisxguy
08-27-2006, 11:21 AM
stock interior does matter...he wont even touch the shifter.

you dont have to keep stock parts if you KNOW SOMEONE O0

silex
08-28-2006, 01:12 PM
It does matter, yet the ref won't touch the shifter so wouldn't that mean that it "does not matter"?