PDA

View Full Version : stock is good..or is it?

tach
08-26-2006, 07:39 PM
dunno if being new in the EVO scene makes me a lil uncomfy to mod my ride. when do u know when to upgrade and modify? when do u know when it gets boring AlReAdY?

stock ww ssl IX

JDMC-WestEVO
08-26-2006, 07:42 PM
the day i bought my car i ordered parts haha

Gear Grinder
08-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Personally I think it's an awsome car as is. You should enjoy it for what it is untill you get board with it. Then start down the never ending road of modding. My.02 cents

JOOTZ
08-26-2006, 07:46 PM
usually you kinda start the ball rolling yourself,your ride mang.just do your research and know when modding theres ups and downs.always a price to pay,,,

JOOTZ
08-26-2006, 07:48 PM
hey J,have you attended the meets in your area???thats a good place to pick-up ideas

IXMREVO
08-26-2006, 07:50 PM
I bought parts the day before I got my car, I can't stand stock even if its an evo but that's just my opinion.

silvery_eagle
08-26-2006, 09:38 PM
stock is pretty sufficient!

as to when do you know when to upgrade.... well... for me its about 1 year (when you are so used to the car's acceleration)

if you want, for the stock evo you can probably talk to our local tuners here and maybe get a flash.... that'll probably improve your mpg and increase some hp :)

personally if i have the money i would go to the track and have some fun with it and learn how the car behaves :)
there are lots of high performance driving clinic here (check out the motorsport thread)
have fun! congrates on getting the evo!

dunno if being new in the EVO scene makes me a lil uncomfy to mod my ride. when do u know when to upgrade and modify? when do u know when it gets boring AlReAdY?

stock ww ssl IX

trinydex
08-27-2006, 12:07 AM
in my opinion there are several factors or milestones you should pass before you start to consider modification. firstly you shouldn't start modding before anything has worn out. brakes, tires/wheels, clutch, fluids and associated drivetrain parts, shoudln't be touched until the ones on there currently are worn out. otherwise you're wasting money. people that sell their stock wheels as soon as they get their cars are wasting money, if you feel that's worth it, it's your perogative, BUT the fact is you lose money on it.

next is your competancy with the car. everyone is a shumi in the evo world and everyone pwns everyone else at the track... until they look at the stopwatch. if you are looking to compete or aggressively get better in motorsports in some way, get used to the car, master as much of the car as you can before you go tinkering. i made this mistake.

doing a few things like exhaust and a drop-in filter are probably harmless and it probably gives your car the character that you want people to associate with you and your car. but if you get heavy into modding make sure you're ready with tuning devices and monitoring devices. follow proven staged upgrade paths and it's pretty hard to go wrong.

tach
08-28-2006, 09:09 PM
eY thanKs for the input dex! Il prolly get a Works drop In and whats a good exhaust?

trinydex
08-28-2006, 09:23 PM
depends on what you want, light weight? thumpy sound? quiet? low profile?

evobeaner
08-28-2006, 09:55 PM
modded the motor after the break-in period was over!!!!
stock power is boring.

MadEvo
08-29-2006, 08:04 AM
Do it in stages if you feel uncomfy with modding. I did. I first got a flash after 1 year of driving my 03'. Then a few months later I got the TBE. Now I'm working on cams, cam gears for the next mod.

What I should have done first was head to the track and learn the limits of my car stock. I plan to get my first track experience this coming November.

trinydex
08-29-2006, 02:42 PM
and you always hear this, i wish i knew my stock car before i started mucking. well hope the questioning people in this thread learn.

rammsteinmatt
08-29-2006, 03:27 PM
and you always hear this, i wish i knew my stock car before i started mucking.

+infinity

i didnt learn this until the car was too far modified

SpdyEvo02
08-29-2006, 04:10 PM
i kept my car stock for more then a year and loved it. the only "mods" i did was an exhaust after about two months. then i added a stereo system to it as well and once my tires were starting to get bald i got new tires and rims. but before i did anything i went to a performance dricing school at Derek Daly Performance driving school at Las vegas Speedway

silex
08-29-2006, 04:15 PM
I modded the car not to make it faster. Personally, I modded mine to learn the insides and outsides of my this car works. Stuff I normally wouldn't remove or touch is changed for a newer part that is more efficient, made out of stronger materials, etc. I've learned so much that I wouldn't have known unless I took some kind of shop class. Now this knowledge can be put into good use to keep maintenance costs down. I consider extra power output a biproduct of the learning experience. Am I the only one who thinks this way?

JOOTZ
08-29-2006, 10:05 PM
hey J you still up???hope i didnt put you in trouble earlier today at work.
when you gonna start on the IX???
keep posted bro...

tach
08-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Dudes yall really gassin up my thoughts now! when i got the car i wasnt really thinkin of moddin or tinkerin with it since u have that 100,000 mile warranties and all...but i guess i need to start somewhere. i dont wanna be doin mods cause everbody seem to be doin this doin that...addin this to make that...but who am i to argue im the NUBIE here! Il break in my toy.... and see what happens !! iL prolly be eatin ma words after the bre@kin period ! ..and prolly sound like a jerk askin for mod advice! HuH! :idiot2:

silvery_eagle
08-31-2006, 09:47 AM
keep it stock.

Gear Grinder
08-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Are you the kind of person that automatically put's salt on everything, or do you taste the food first to see what kind of spice would best enhance the dish? :uglystupid2:

tach
09-02-2006, 06:55 PM
ey nice ride gear! Well picture this..when i got hitched i was thinkin of retirement already! so dunno what will happen in between! what am sayin is... if ever i wanna sell my evo sometime in the future, dont u think the buyer will luv it if i kept it stock the whole time and didnt tinker with it!?..thats the upside of keepin it stock ..i guess. Downside? ill prolly wont be able to enjoy the maximum benefits of having one of the most awesome machines on the 4 banger arena! am i missin sumthin here?

Miss Evo8
09-02-2006, 10:40 PM
dunno if being new in the EVO scene makes me a lil uncomfy to mod my ride. when do u know when to upgrade and modify?Â* when do u know when it gets boring AlReAdY?

stock ww ssl IX

if an Evo is ever "boring" to you modded or not.... you bought the wrong car ;)

gh0stch1ld
09-03-2006, 12:00 AM
no mods on my car. But my first mod will definitely be JIC or Ohlins coilovers. Never thought about adding more horses to the car though.

blkside
09-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Well I have JDMC beat by a long shot.. I have had over a K in parts under the bed at the house and its been there a couple months... I Still dont have the car...ok I pick it up friday.... when you feel slow...mod

Miss Evo8
09-04-2006, 07:51 PM
STOCK FTW like my Evo!

blkside
09-05-2006, 06:59 AM
Damn I need to know how your stock evo got that suspension...lol I need to start going to where you go... I am on a mission.... to get muellerized...

BMan
09-09-2006, 12:22 AM
I lost about 50 hp by driving 1500 miles. The gas here sucks. I started lowering my boost in Kansas because of knock. I've had to richen the hell out of it too.
If you want a good power mod, find some 94 octane gas. I was able to run 25 lbs with 0 knock in Jerz, I'm down to 18 lbs now and tuning to bring some power back. :(

S2myEVO
09-14-2006, 11:28 PM
lets just say before i even bought the car i already bought stuff for it.
hahahahah

thats love right there i tell ya.

tach
09-16-2006, 10:14 AM
maybe im sayin all this crap to keep it stock coz i cant afford to MoD!!!! :grin:

gsrIXevo
09-16-2006, 10:56 AM
by all means.. TAKE YOUR TIME...

everyone will say that.. you already have a car from factory that can chase the heck out of top notch cars on the track.. and keep up with most things in a straight line if u like that kinda things...lol..

mod wise.. and warranty wise.. stay away from ecu... engine internals... clutch upgrades... safest things you can do when u feel the need.. catback exhaust.. dp/(hi-flow cat/ no cat) three inch exhaust... that should hold u over for a while... and then if it doesnt.. kit the heck out of it.. get gauges. rims.... until your warranty is up.....

by all means take your time....

thisxguy
09-16-2006, 11:06 AM
i've had mine since april and it's still stock.Â* the reason is that i'm still unsure of what to get and i'm not loaded like some of the other guys :2funny:

oh and listen to GSR. our cars are good from factory tuned. if you think this car is slow (stock)...then i dont know what to say...you should've gotten some Ferrari, Porsche 911, Lambo, etc :2funny:

silex
09-17-2006, 08:43 AM
I came from an E36 M3 which has 240hp and 236lb-ft torque. That's NA which has power across the whole band. Never did any mods to the car. The evo is FI'ed and makes 50 odd more horsepower and torque. Stock was good for awhile, but this car needed more, hehe.

JOOTZ
09-22-2006, 07:43 AM
hey jong PM me as soon as you get back into the country :coolsmiley: :coolsmiley: :coolsmiley:
oh- since your reading this-welcome home 8) 8) 8)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:skid: :skid: :skid: :skid: :skid: :skid: :skid: :skid: :skid: :skid: :skid:

Unstroked
09-22-2006, 07:53 AM
I personally ran my car for 8 months before I decided to start modding my Evo. Now I have that mod bug. I don't know what I want to do next. LOL... Stock is fun for a while, but then after going to meets and seeing other Evo's you start to want more.

x[corwyn]
09-22-2006, 08:27 AM
RRC stage 1 suspension mod is very very good. I didn't realise how good till I was driving my roommates Evo the other night and was taking corners and was like...This car handles like crap, WTF!

blkside
09-22-2006, 08:37 AM
I got my stage 1 within the first 5 days of having the car... I of course did gauges and the TT but no performance mods as of yet....

socal_HKS_evo8
09-22-2006, 12:12 PM
i've had the car for about a week now and i've already bought an HKS exhaust ^-^.....i've been moding my cars for a while now so im used the modding drug :laugh: