PDA

View Full Version : THE OFFICIAL KARTING THREAD

trinydex
08-28-2006, 09:54 PM
hey guys, just wanna make a place where people can get together and talk about karts and karting. i know especially for me that the knowledge is limited thus far and i'd like to learn more about places to kart, brands and types of karts, expenses, skills required, tuning and all the stuff we already love to talk about.

i know elijah just went to jim hall kart track and school, maybe he can give us a review.

Barfly
08-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Good idea. I was considering going to Jim Hall in the near future and would love to know how the experience rates.

Senshi
08-29-2006, 12:41 AM
yea i just did the Jim Hall Racing 2 day school. i would highly recommend it for anybody thats looking to get into any sort of racing but doesn't quite have enough for something like Skip Barber (which i still think is the best) Whats nice about the Jim Hall Karts is that although they are a lot faster then stuff like Dromo 1 they are still easy to get used to after a couple of sessions which is great since u can then concentrate on the race line and kart control. On day two they start to prepare u for actual racing and show you differant ways to make a pass happen and then they end the day with an actual race. The only problems that i had with the school is that my timing kept on not working which kinda sucked since i don't think it recorded my fastest lap time, the other problem i have with mostly karts in general is that unless you weigh less then 120 pounds your never going to be really competitive at it since there will always be somebody that weighs less then you so even if your a great driver he'll just have nice weight advantage which gives him a lot better acceleration out of a corner.

Barfly
08-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Yeah, that makes it tough given that I am 6'4" and 200lbs.Â* :-(

Still looks like fun for the casual event. Not sure I would want to do it competitively.

Senshi
08-29-2006, 01:01 AM
oh yea i still recomend it cus even just open lapping is a lot of fun.

Skiracer
08-29-2006, 10:17 AM
yea i just did the Jim Hall Racing 2 day school. i would highly recommend it for anybody thats looking to get into any sort of racing but doesn't quite have enough for something like Skip Barber (which i still think is the best) Whats nice about the Jim Hall Karts is that although they are a lot faster then stuff like Dromo 1 they are still easy to get used to after a couple of sessions which is great since u can then concentrate on the race line and kart control. On day two they start to prepare u for actual racing and show you differant ways to make a pass happen and then they end the day with an actual race. The only problems that i had with the school is that my timing kept on not working which kinda sucked since i don't think it recorded my fastest lap time, the other problem i have with mostly karts in general is that unless you weigh less then 120 pounds your never going to be really competitive at it since there will always be somebody that weighs less then you so even if your a great driver he'll just have nice weight advantage which gives him a lot better acceleration out of a corner.

Do they use similar karts as we were on on the EOC kart day?

trinydex
08-29-2006, 02:37 PM
jim hall uses shifters so they should be the same type that willow has for renting.

from my limited research there are a lot of types of karts but the main ones are Tag (touch and go) and a subset of tag karts which are shifters. these two are the most interesting. they generally have 125cc engines and are usually available for about 4000 dollars (shifter) and less for single gear tags.

karts require engine rebuilds at regular intervals too.

someone hit me with a link to a karting forum.

Senshi
08-29-2006, 03:03 PM
jim hall uses shifters so they should be the same type that willow has for renting.

wrong Jim Hall uses 100cc sprint karts (not shifters) they are a lot slower then what we used at EOC but i think they are a lot better to learn with then the 150cc. Although the 150cc are a lot of fun they are just too fast for a first timer and you spend more time just trying to control the kart then you do actually working on how well your driving around the track. Jim Hall also has 125cc shifter which i haven't tried but the instructors said that they will prob get rid of them since shifter karts are kinda going out of style in the kart world.

bogey8
08-29-2006, 06:04 PM
How much did the Jim Hall kart school cost?

I really enjoyed the 125cc shift karts. But they're just too much.

I tried the karts at Adams. I don't know if they're 100cc but the website says they have 13.5 hp. They're not shifters either.

trinydex
08-29-2006, 06:26 PM

wrong Jim Hall uses 100cc sprint karts (not shifters) they are a lot slower then what we used at EOC but i think they are a lot better to learn with then the 150cc. Although the 150cc are a lot of fun they are just too fast for a first timer and you spend more time just trying to control the kart then you do actually working on how well your driving around the track. Jim Hall also has 125cc shifter which i haven't tried but the instructors said that they will prob get rid of them since shifter karts are kinda going out of style in the kart world.

aren't sprint karts those dirt kart things with the one way roof?

evobeaner
08-29-2006, 07:05 PM
thats depressing :'(

Senshi
08-29-2006, 07:40 PM
this should answer alot of questions http://www.jimhallkartracing.com/classes/sprint.html

BlueBooster
08-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Sweet! Karts!

http://www.adamskarttrack.com/
Outdoor track - they have rentals or you can bring your own. My friend just got a 125cc 2-stroke that hauls some pretty good speed on the straights. If you bring your own, you need to bring your own full race suit, gloves, neck brace and helmet. If you arrive and drive they give you everything needed unless if you want to use your own helmet. I think it's like 35 bucks for arrive and drive and you make like 15 laps or so.

http://www.k1speed.com/
I just went here today for lunch. Fricken awesome deal! 20 bucks gets you lunch and 12 laps. Indoor track with asphalt so you actually stick to the track unlike dromo 1 where you just slide everywhere. We're planning on making this a weekly lunch deal. It's bigger than dromo 1 as well.

http://www.dromo1.com/
I think they started it here in socal with indoor karting. slippery concrete surface, gas powered, smelly, noisy, long waits tend to make me avoid this joint.

There's another one in Corona off the 91 and 15 that's indoor and very similar to K1, but the name escapes me right now. I'll ask my friend about it for the name. There is also a kart track in Perris similar to adams kart track - I'll get the name of that too.

hagakure
08-29-2006, 09:40 PM
Do you mean 250CC KArts at Willow?
Never heard of 150CC KArts. you uys must have been in Superkarts. A well-prepared 125 TAG is a formidable little machine. 32 HP and a lot of torque....makes for an interesting and challenging driving experience.

trinydex
08-29-2006, 11:55 PM
tell us more!

Senshi
08-30-2006, 01:21 AM
sorry your right EOC wasnt 150cc karts they were 125cc with http://www.krcracingschools.com/ i think superkarts aka 250cc are a little crazy and i think i need a lot more experiance before ever trying them.

Senshi
08-30-2006, 01:39 AM
heres some pritty sweet videos of 250cc karts i found the quality is shitty but its crazy to see how fast they are, for anybody who has done SOW just go download that video. O0
http://users.cyberzane.net/rforker/SuperkartVideo.htm

trinydex
08-30-2006, 03:16 AM
http://www.ekartingnews.com/NewToKarting/

this thread would be incomplete without this link.

Skiracer
08-30-2006, 06:11 AM
125cc karts we did at the EOC kart event were nuts! I can't imagine what it would be like to step up to 250cc kart. Note, GT40 is supposedly working on setting up another kart day for us.

BlueBooster
08-30-2006, 06:24 PM
http://www.racep2r.com/contact.html

That's the other indoor kart track in riverside.

Mister
08-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Elijah,
How much did the 2 day course cost at Jim Hall?

Here is a link for KRC Karting. They are located on Willow Springs kart track. I had a blast when I went there!
http://www.krcracingschools.com/faq.html?PHPSESSID=8fe256ab9b9fb7d5a94fc31c32f76ab 7

hagakure
09-03-2006, 10:18 AM
They will not let you on a roadcourse in a 250 superkart w/o a lot of verified experience.

sorry your right EOC wasnt 150cc karts they were 125cc with http://www.krcracingschools.com/ i think superkarts aka 250cc are a little crazy and i think i need a lot more experiance before ever trying them.

NipponHamFighters
09-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Fontana also offers Sanctioned carting events if you are interested in competing.

hagakure
09-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Interesting thread. There seems to be a growing interest in Karting from track day people. It's a seriosu alternative to time-trialing and even road racing, although the potential danger can be a bit daunting. I'm deep in the throes of deciding to fgo with a cheaper (honda or something) racecar or go Karting. The need for speed sucks when you don't have unlimited resources!:)

Richard EVO
09-04-2006, 12:44 PM
I've been quoted in someone's signature! Thanks, NipponHamFighters!

mangoes
09-04-2006, 01:10 PM
i just went to adams not too long ago. it was a great experience. on the straight's, you can feel the acceleration g haha, pretty funky feeling =D. the only thing i have to complain about is that all their racing suits are ripped in the crotch area!!

Senshi
09-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Interesting thread. There seems to be a growing interest in Karting from track day people. It's a seriosu alternative to time-trialing and even road racing, although the potential danger can be a bit daunting. I'm deep in the throes of deciding to fgo with a cheaper (honda or something) racecar or go Karting. The need for speed sucks when you don't have unlimited resources!:)

haha i agree, my only reason ive been looking into karting is cus i dont have the money to actually race cars. I still like driving/racing cars alot more then karts i just feel they are much more interesting to master and most kart tracks are pritty boring. I would love to give a 250cc a try on a road course but i have no idea how u can even get to try one, also they do kinda scare me abit but i think its the fastest thing i could possibly drive without spending 10k+ for a testing day.

98eclipsegsx
10-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Senshi, I saw you at Jim Hall...I was the young-looking instructor who did a bit of the critiquing. I just realized I recognized you from the first time I went to Willow in April, we met up at Coffee Bean.

BTW it was the 80cc shifters we discontinued, the 125cc are TAGs. And if you were bored by the sprints, the TAGs are a world apart...they're even quicker than shifters O0

--Ari