PDA

View Full Version : Viper 791x & Other better alarms

Myevo8
09-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Anyone have these in their cars?I saw one at Best buy and was considering buying it and having them installed. Any input on this alarm would be greatly appreciated. Im going to be getting my own pad and am looking for something to add as a really good theft deterrent/alarm so any suggestions on the latest and greatest alarms out there would help. Also is it possible to add any kind of GPS locators to compliment our car alarms?

OmegaEvo
09-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Um... bumb... all i Have is low jack on mine. What are good alarm systems?????

Dagul
09-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Um... bumb... all i Have is low jack on mine. What are good alarm systems?????

For example, the 790/791XV is a decent alarm. It doesn't look like it'll integrate with the GPS unit also offered from Viper, but it'll deter theft to a certain extent... If someone wants your car bad enough, they'll take it one way or another...

It really depends on the features you want...

Myevo8
09-02-2006, 12:49 AM
Well I was thinking about getting all the accessories from the perimeter sensors to the battery backup. Im planning on getting it all for the 791x. Unless theres another alarm out there better to use. Thing is are there other gps accessories out there to use with a viper alarm besides a lo jack. Compustar make anything? Open inputs helps thanks... O0

wj4
09-03-2006, 06:28 PM
If someone wants your car bad enough, they'll take it one way or another...
+10000

i have the python 2 way alarm, same mother company as the viper, DEI. its ok for what i use it for.

JDMC-WestEVO
09-03-2006, 07:46 PM
i kno there are GPS locator things out there because my GF's car has one but im not sure who makes them :( sorry

Myevo8
09-29-2006, 11:29 PM
update: went to vipers website www.directed.com (http://www.directed.com) turns out they've also got their own gps and bummer thing is you only pay for the 1-3 years service. too bad think.
Waht do you guys think of it?

Dagul
09-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Lojack with early warn would probably be cheaper in the long run... Since there's no service to pay for...

That in combination with a basic 2 way alarm will be plenty of deterrence. Even just the basic lojack with a 2 way alarm it should be enough for some peace of mind...

I'm more familiar with DEI products but the compustarr supposedly has almost 3 times the range of DEI 2 ways but is more expensive, the remotes look cheesier, and there aren't as many authorised dealers...

Myevo8
09-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Doesnt lojack work up to within like city limits or something like in that range?. Or maybe im confusing lojack with something else.

Dagul
10-01-2006, 12:10 AM
You'd have to look at lo jack's website to see the operating area... They should have maps of their service areas online... If not, call them to send you a brochur...

Terenus
10-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Why does Directed have so many different alarm brands? They all seem really similar. Is there one that's better than the other?

Dagul
10-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Clifford and viper are probably the top 2 and the rest of the DEI variants are just cheaper versions with different/less options than the viper and clifford...

Another dicernable difference is each group of alarms operate on different frquencies...

Some of the really cheap alarms like the hornet or something similar are usually "all in one" magic box where as the more advanced alarms have multiple modules and whatnot...

IMO viper/clifford are the top choices if you're going with a DEI alarm...

wj4
10-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Clifford and viper are probably the top 2 and the rest of the DEI variants are just cheaper versions with different/less options than the viper and clifford...

Another dicernable difference is each group of alarms operate on different frquencies...

Some of the really cheap alarms like the hornet or something similar are usually "all in one" magic box where as the more advanced alarms have multiple modules and whatnot...

you sure theyre diff? i have a python and compared to my friends viper 791x. the features are identical. the only thing that sets it apart is the color choice.

Terenus
10-02-2006, 12:02 AM

you sure theyre diff? i have a python and compared to my friends viper 791x. the features are identical. the only thing that sets it apart is the color choice.

That's what I thought, but why make some many variants?

Dagul
10-02-2006, 12:12 AM
I forgot about Python... The Python should be running on a slightly different frequency. I don't remember if the remotes are interchangable or not between the viper 791xv...

Is your antenna that connects to the main module the little stubby one or the box with 2 semi long antennas on the sides?

wj4
10-02-2006, 12:16 AM
here are the 3 models i'm primary talking about. about the antenna, mine is a square looking box with a skinny antenna sticking out from each side. my friend with the viper has the same looking antenna as mine. i took it to the pros because this isnt one of the things i want to do a trial and error type deal on. i just told them to connect it up with the auto start and make the trunk popable with the aux botton. about the remote being interchangable, i know that they do sell "blank" remote, but it will have to be programmed in for your specific model.

here is the python, viper, and clifford. mine works identical to my friends viper. range seems to be the same as well.
http://www.alarm-tronics.com/images/python_responder.jpg
http://www.drdetailshop.com/479Vfrontbg.jpg
http://www.drdetailshop.com/489Xbg.jpg

Terenus
10-02-2006, 02:12 PM
So, enough contemplating about which alarm, how about a good shop with great prices?

wj4
10-02-2006, 09:02 PM
So, enough contemplating about which alarm, how about a good shop with great prices?

depends on the location i guess. but in the 818, i recommend the sound doctor in chatsworth. the prices arent the cheapest, but its 2 experienced guys working on your car all day long.
i worked at circuit city and i used to see workers rush installs becuase they had so many cars lined up so my advice is to never take it to a run of a mill store like best buy, circuit city becuase those guys who are installing the stuff are most likely kids with no knowledge and learned everything from online lessons on teh computer.
with my python alarm, i dropped off my car at 8am and picked it up when it was done at 4pm. i had him do the autostart and install a solanoid for the trunk popper as well. so far, its been nearly a year since its installed and no problem yet.

hardcoreracing
10-03-2006, 09:08 AM
I have the viper 791XV on my IX, had it installed in bellflower at soundmax back in january of this year. No problems so far, it has remote start and the turbo timer option which I had them set at 3 minutes. The clifford model is supposed to have a better range of operation, but they wanted an extra $100 for it, so I just went with the viper. I have no regrets about that decision. Soundmax looks like it's run by a korean family. They did a good job with the install, but they were not cheap. They won't even haggle with fellow asians lol.. Hope that helps.

Myevo8
10-19-2006, 04:28 AM
Well Im about to have the Clifford 10.5x installed next thursday. Anyone have this on thier evo's yet?For those of you who have it how do you guys like it?-Impressions?Thanx!

DruMMinStUd06
10-19-2006, 08:42 AM
out of curiousity...are these models with remote start in mind made for manual transmissions? or did they bypass the clutch...and do you never leave your car in gear? thanks for your help...

Myevo8
10-19-2006, 10:09 AM
The guy i was talking to about the remote start/going to install my alarmĀ* said the evo 's they tested it on just boggef for a split sec before shutting off because it was in gear w/ebrake on. Hope this helps

DruMMinStUd06
10-19-2006, 11:40 AM
The guy i was talking to about the remote start/going to install my alarm said the evo 's they tested it on just boggef for a split sec before shutting off because it was in gear w/ebrake on. Hope this helps

isnt that kinda like stalling the car? wouldnt it jump forward a little even with the ebrake?

Myevo8
10-19-2006, 02:07 PM
The guy i was talking to about the remote start/going to install my alarm said the evo 's they tested it on just boggef for a split sec before shutting off because it was in gear w/ebrake on. Hope this helps

isnt that kinda like stalling the car? wouldnt it jump forward a little even with the ebrake?
^^^^ I agree on this too. I stopped by another alarm shop in my area for a 2nd opinion and he said that they can somehow put some kinda switch so if our cars in gear it wont start. How thats going to work i dont know. anyone with any knowledge of this.

Lagsux
10-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Anyone have experience with Automotive Entertainment in Pasadena?
Thx!

Myevo8
11-01-2006, 11:59 PM
Got the clifford 10.5 installed. Happy with it now i just gotta get 2more options installed before i get that fancy schmancy ravelco and gps from dei. Overall clifford matrix 10.5 is the same as the viper 791 w/out the remote start, but if cool electronic latest and greatest are your fancy then id ge the 791 or the clifford 50.5 i think it was. Both remotes with the new 1mile paging range.