PDA

View Full Version : my 9 still smells new, i want a bigger turbo

philthyevo
09-12-2006, 01:46 AM
Im sorry to be such an amatuer but can someone explain something to me?Â*

Its quite simple.

I got a EVO IX.Â* I want to upgrade the turbo.Â* I see a bunch of differnt turbos but none of the numbers or model #s mean anything to me.Â* Which turbo isÂ* a good upgrade for the IX and what gains can i expect to gain on a close to stock setup?

Thanks

TrickedOutEVOVIII
09-12-2006, 01:58 AM
that all depends really, on what you want out of the car. for instance...are you looking for a turbo that spools close to stock?? do you mind some lag?? what hp and tq numbers are you shooting for?? short term, long term?? that'll help us to advise you a little better

T

philthyevo
09-12-2006, 02:08 AM
Awesome, Thanks. I dont mind a like-stock set up as long as I get the HP. I want to have somewhere between 350-400 WHP. BUt I want it to remain reliable. I see a bunch of different turbos on sites....

EVO 9 20G Turbo 10.5 Single Upgrade for $939

EVO 9 Turbo TME 20G Upgrade 10.5TH for $1339

I dont know how the stock compares to these turbos or others...Im looking for a hundred WHP gain from stock...can i get away with just a turbo for that? Please help, thansk!!

TrickedOutEVOVIII
09-12-2006, 02:20 AM
im not an expert on the 20G turbo but all that is is an upgraded wheel and housing of the 16G (stock turbo) and the 10.5 turbine housing you already have. in order to acheive between 350-400 whp on pump gas you would need a 50 trim turbo or GT30R (3071, 3037S or 3076). the GT3076R will easily get you very very close to 400whp on pump. most ppl hit the 380-390 range with that turbo. the 3071 will peak less but midrange is considerably better. spool on a 30R is 4000-4300rpm on a stock 2 liter. the 50 trim will spool quicker and so will the 3071. so you really have to decide how much lag you will be ok with. i personally would go with the GT3076R which is what i have, so i've actually done what i preach.

on the other hand, getting that 20G upgrade will also land you in that power range with race gas (100 octane). but then again, who really wants to run race gas all the time?? unless you dont mind that, then you could do that as well. good luck with your choice man. if you need more help just ask man

T

trinydex
09-12-2006, 02:37 AM
mmm do a little more searching, there's a few very good threads on turbos and the options available and the terminology.

if you want 100hp jump over stock then you don't have to get a turbo. of course this depends on where you consider stock horsepower. but the fact is that if you want around 350, i'm gonna guess that 340 is ok with you and that is achievable with a stage 1+ and some smartallecking.

you don't want to just slap on a turbo becuase then nothing is optomised and your turbo is gonna not do as much as it could (both your aftermarket turbo and the stock turbo you threw away for it). go from the ground up, do not try to hop stages... that's not recommended.

TrickedOutEVOVIII
09-12-2006, 02:49 AM
i was basing my analysis on the assumption that he had all the supporting mods to go with it. who would just upgrade turbos and not have all the hardware to back it up??

T

trinydex
09-12-2006, 03:32 AM
i was talkin' to him hahaha

TrickedOutEVOVIII
09-12-2006, 10:34 AM
i know triny...i was just making sure it was clear that my advise was under the assumption that he had supporting mods to go with it!! haha

T

philthyevo
09-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Well so far i only have TurboXS catback/exhaust, Espiler Downpipe, HKS drop in filter, rear sway bar. I know Turbo Kits are around 3K to start. I was looking to spend around 1K. I will defintely get new headers and the upper and lower I/C pipes with the Turbo.

I want something simple, to bolt on, and I want to keep the car reliable. 350 to the wheels is the minimum.. Cause im probably at about 275-280 to the wheels with the few bolt-on upgrades I have.

I love the stock turbo and Im totally willing to keep it..I just want more power. The evo is great, but I guess many of us just ALWAYS want more power.

With the setup I have, and with no more than 1500 to spend right now, what would you guys suggest to get the maximum WHP? I was thinking to get a new turbo, headers and intercooler piping...Which can be roughly at 1500.

Thanks a lot guys!

trinydex
09-13-2006, 04:23 PM
i'm basically thinking that you're gonna have a backwards car and you'll come back to us in a few months saying goodbye cuz you sold it... or begging for help to do everything right the second time around.

the 9's come with around 260-270 at the wheels. with all the stuff you put on already, do you still run the stock cat??? if so *thumbs down* you need to mod in stages. corking up the exhaust in the middle gets you inconsistent horsepower at best and for sure lower power numbers than you could have.

technically alls mods that are within your reach right now as your car stands are bolt ons. if 350 is the minimum i STILL encourage you to follow the stages... why? because if you don't you'll end up with an ailed car. throwing on a turbo right now as you stand, likely with a stock cat and no tune, no boost gauge, no tuning base... WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO??? just throw it on there? run outta money and have your car sit in the garage for the next few months while you throw coins in the piggybank??????? PLEASE PLEASE follow the stages.

you need to listen to what we are saying for your own good. if you ask about a turbo one more time i'm gonna stop helping you.

and that's the thing, this is one of those post volleys that goes in my pm box from my invitation to help noobs. other people have hashed out all their options with me through pm or on AIM and they all seem to be satisfied until their next question comes up... and that's fine, but please if you're here to seek advice, take it when it's given.

v8hater
09-13-2006, 04:31 PM
^^^ with only 1500 to spend that is not going to get you much IMO. A cheap turbo (20g) is already $1000, headers are $300+, IC piping XX then labor. Then you need injectors that's even more money.

I have a IX too, IMO you should get a MBC, injectors and something to tune your car with ie SAFC. You should be happy for a while or at least until you save up some more money.

philthyevo
09-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Lol. Â*

Ok, i have nothing against stages, its just that most of them come with exhuasts/catbacks/downpipes. Â* I kinda like my catback and downpipe. Â*:-( Â*Ya ya, I know I could sell them....

I dont have a cat delete pipe--I know I should get one...but im waiting until i find a good one that looks like stock (with the shell over the pipe). Â*Any suggestions? Â*Links? Â*BTW I have a EVO IX. Â*

I never said i wanted to get JUST the turbo. Â*I was going to get other things along with the Turbo. Â*I guess headers, fuel injectors and new upper/lower I/C piping isnt enough to suffice a new Turbo...The last thing I'd do is throw in a Super Turbo so that i can rape my engine everytime I drive.

Ive seen many Stage 1s. Â*Which do you recommend?

philthyevo
09-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I have a Forge MBC--just havent installed it yet. Â*I just put in a boost gauge, oil temp and oil press.

As far as tuning, I've done lots of research. Â*Many people with tuned cars have issues and sometimes after a tune, a car becomes more unreliable. Â*Harmon Motive in Torrance said they'd do a tune for 1000 including labor. Â*

ANd im sorry for my ignorance, but how is a SAFC different from a tune at Harmon or Road Race or whereever?

v8hater
09-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I think you have to start using the serach function man.

When Dr grey says Stage 1 he means you need to get all those parts to complete that stage. He those not say you should buy this brand or that brand exhuast. He means just get a 3 inch exhuast. Get it?

As for getting a cat delete. RRE rally cat is one of the best ones out there.

trinydex
09-13-2006, 04:55 PM
i'm gonna explode, but i'll be nice and split this off and point it in the right direction with these links:

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=9252.0

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=27874.0

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=26112.0

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=23707.0

you can search the safc vs flash vs everything else on your own. just search safc. there are COUNTLESS debates on it and EVERY one has the SAME information inside.

trinydex
09-13-2006, 05:06 PM
you have no mbc installed, you have no hiflow cat, you have no fuel pump, you have no boost gauge, you have no zeitronix to compensate for the boost gauge, you have no boost controller installed. you have no method of tuning.

these things all cost money, in fact you won't even get through this list with 1000 dollars. ESPECIALLY with addition of the tuning solution.

dr gray does rre's tuning. he USES an safc. the safc is a tuning device, one which you don't have.

a flash is different. ecuflash is a freeware flashing program for which you don't even have to buy the CABLE for. dr gray has the cable. there are no license fees for the tuning because it's open source freeware. harmon uses ecutek, they charge at LEAST 300 for the license fee of each tune. that era is now over. grassroots free tuning is erupting all over now.

don't even think about running a car around with extensive mods and no tune. cars don't tune themselves, wel they do but only in closed loop conditions. but wide open throttle is an open loop condition and you must tune for it when you change the characteristics of the car.

a dr gray tune depending on what you use will run you MUCH LESS THAN HARMON MOTIVE

keep in mind i said follow the stages. that doesn't mean you buy everything from them, that means that you piece together hte parts that you want on YOUR car. this is warrtalon package with buschur racing and we're gonna dynoflash your car and make fun of it if it's not sporting our entire catalog and then get into a fuckin' debate with you about how your setup could make the same power with less money and how the cheapest is the best but NOT if it comes from CHINA...

philthyevo
09-13-2006, 05:06 PM
lol you changed the topic name. ahahahaha!!

Ok ok thanks, Ill check out the links Mr. Moderator.