PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a double din unit.... any recommendations?

Lagsux
09-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Thinking of upgrading to the Orbital double din face plate kit.

Any recommendations on which double din head unit is good? I've heard Eclipse are good, but any first hand knowlegde?

Looking for a good unit with touch screen Navi if possible. Anyone seen anything close to the quality of the new Lexus IS Navi's?

TIA

kcross
09-16-2006, 01:10 AM
alpine iva-w200.

j_nizzle
09-16-2006, 02:59 AM
the pioneers are very easy to use. eclipses are the top selling aftermarket nav system in japan. both great choices.

nlakind
09-18-2006, 12:45 AM

Any recommendations on which double din head unit is good? I've heard Eclipse are good, but any first hand knowlegde?

Looking for a good unit with touch screen Navi if possible. Anyone seen anything close to the quality of the new Lexus IS Navi's?

TIA

I've also been looking for a double DIN Navi...Does anybody know how much or where to get the conversion kit for the EVO? I looked on evolutionm.net & they were sold out...

BlueBooster
09-20-2006, 06:44 PM
I love my eclipse! :smitten:
http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=27449.0

DruMMinStUd06
10-21-2006, 02:05 PM
I've also been looking for a double DIN Navi...Does anybody know how much or where to get the conversion kit for the EVO? I looked on evolutionm.net & they were sold out...

You have to preorder it unless you get it through 201 Motorsports which has a few black grain ones in stock...

Lagsux
10-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Anyone with black grain finish in their cars? If so, how do they look? I'm leaning towards the factory finish.

Thx!

DruMMinStUd06
10-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Check out the thread on EvoM...

link (http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=225466)

Lagsux
10-24-2006, 11:32 AM
The finish looks good. I like the metallic finish a bit more~ Thanks for the link Drummin...

MRchnk
12-22-2006, 01:52 AM
eclipse is the best!!!

endlessCT9Amr
12-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Are you looking for a double DIN with DVD capability? Or one with just Navi? If it's the latter... my vote is for the Pioneer AVIC-D2. You can find it as low as $900 online.

antics22
12-28-2006, 06:04 PM

TIA

Your best bet is to look at the units in person and play with them to get a good feel on the touchscreens. I think you will find it very interesting on which one you will prefer.

For what its worth, I was choosing between a Pioneer and Eclipse and I ended up purchasing an Eclipse AVN-5500 over the Pioneer for several reasons.

First, the Eclipse interface is going to be the closest to the Lexus interface since they are both made from the same company. Once you play with it, you will be very familiar with the interface on the DEST page, the POI's, etc. Its nearly identical (except no bluetooth and no climate control on the unit). The Eclipse units do suffer a bit on the quality of the LCD, but overall, I found it to be more intuitive than the Pioneer.

The Pioneers had a beautiful screen, but I found their graphics to be a bit busy and the touchscreen buttons seem cluttered and out of place...

Go to Circuit City or Al & Eds and play with them. Don't base your choice on suggestions from this forum, since it is going to be a pretty substantial purchase.

PS. I am very happy with my Eclipse AVN5500. I picked it up Brand New (not refurb) from Ebay for around $1000 or so. If you want to play DVDs while the NAV disc is still in the unit, then you need the AVN6600, but I went the cheaper route. I dont mind popping out my NAV disc to watch a DVD.... (BTW, the override is very easy. Just ground the E-brake wire and it enables everything)

Good luck with your purchase!

blkside
12-28-2006, 06:33 PM
The Avic Z1 is retarded with options and if you know the right people can get them fairly well priced...

DruMMinStUd06
12-28-2006, 06:34 PM
I went with the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 and I'm glad I did. I bought mine used on eBay for a pretty penny but it was a local buy so I felt pretty comfortable with it. I like the fact that its touch screen and that I can do nav and play DVD's at the same time. Bypassing this puppy isn't too difficult...but it isn't your normal grounding of the e-brake...I guess Pioneer wanted to make it a bit difficult. More info is available on avic411.com...its really useful for more info on all Pioneer's products. In my opinion, if at all possible get the nav/dvd (at the same time) capable units...you'll thank yourself in the long run because it makes life so much more easier.

htsai14752
03-04-2008, 08:22 PM
kenwood dnx7100. I like the fact that it has Garmin navigation.

vial8or
03-04-2008, 09:10 PM
^^i have this one in my evo

LOVE IT!!!!

Dead_Pirate
03-04-2008, 10:24 PM
its funny i saw this thread becuase i just got a indash dvd installed today....everyone has been jocking the kenwood 7100....that one just came out about a year ago...its one of the newest indash that has built in nav.....WHICH IS A PLUS! kenwood just droped there brand new one yesterday which has better upgrades then the 7100...ALSO! IT HAS A KNOB! EVERYONE NEEDS A KNOB! O0 O0 O0 F THAT VOLUME BUTTON SHIT! any ways the new one is the kenwood DNX5120...it also has built in nav and u can listen to a cd and f with the nav at the same time....and everything eles....if you have an ipod ur going to love it LIKE NO OTHER DAY! my ipod hook up goes in the glove box and just stays in there....ur ipod comes up on the screen...its bigger and its touch screen and waaaaaaaaay more easier to f with while driving(you just have to see it)....u can also put ur own pics as your back ground and shit like that...i have had it less then 24 hours and its soooo sick! and when i went in there today they already sold 4...wanna know why? CAUSE ITS THE TIGHTEST SHIT OUT! NOW GO GET ONE!

other stuff thats tight in the meen time i have had it.....
1. as your driving u push this button and it tells you what street is coming up! so tight
2. the nav set up is soooo good every thing is crystal clear and very detailed...
3. it shows you the speed limit and also how fast your going....sooo sic! its funny cause i got on a freeway bridge and no speed limit sign came up so i went 110mphÂ* :grin:
4.when you touch the screen NO FINGER PRINTS COME UP
5. on the auto light settings ur nav colors get dark when it gets dark so its not shinning all bright in your face and looks like theres a light show in your car....(again you have to see what i mean)
6. movies come up soooo clear....
7. like a said a volume knob! YOU NEED THE KNOB!
8. theres more but im done thinking! im going to read up on it right now to see all the other tight shit it does!

Kenwood DNX 5120 allll the way! its new and tight! O0 O0 O0 O0

vial8or
03-04-2008, 10:44 PM
^^werdddd

i LOVE all those features on my 7100. gps is sereiosly unmatched

and ipod controls too....it even brings up your playlists and what not. mine is in the glove box too.

whats different in the upgrade?? besides the knob??

htsai14752
03-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Sorry but the newest upgrade of the 7100 is the 7120

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/Navigation/DNX7120

the dnx5120 is also new over the 5100, but it has a smaller screen. Still a great budget unit over the 7120 and a O0 on the knob

Rin Tin Tin
03-05-2008, 06:51 PM
I was planning on getting the new Kenwood DNX8120 when it comes out end of March ( i think ).
Are the install for these units (7100+ or 5100+) easy? Is there any harness i can buy or do i have to splice?
Will it void the warranty somehow?

PineApple
03-05-2008, 07:15 PM
I am a Panasonic fan after I got sick of Pioneer and their crap. Eclipse Double Dins are VERY nice units I will say. My options are between Eclipse and Panasonic. I wouldn't buy Pioneer for the life of me again after all the problems they give when amplifying speakers. Went through 3 of their units, each one had the same problem, each in different vehicles. Anyways, Panasonic and Eclipse both make great solid units with crisp images.

vial8or
03-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I am a Panasonic fan after I got sick of Pioneer and their crap. Eclipse Double Dins are VERY nice units I will say. My options are between Eclipse and Panasonic. I wouldn't buy Pioneer for the life of me again after all the problems they give when amplifying speakers. Went through 3 of their units, each one had the same problem, each in different vehicles. Anyways, Panasonic and Eclipse both make great solid units with crisp images.

ohhhh poor baby.
hahaha
but dude....this dnx7100 kicks ass. u KNOW i always bump my shit max and its sooo good

rjdevo9mr
03-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Eclipse AVN-6620

WhiteIXMR
03-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Kenwood Excelon DNX-8120 by far the best unit I've tried since I've been shopping around for ages.. The graphics on the lcd are great unlike Eclipse's crappy Nintendo look and now it also has Garmin's built-in Navi (not the garmin separate unit) and bluetooth w/ microphone as a standard.Â*Also on Map area updates, you can go onto Kenwood or Garmin's site and update it when they're released every year..so no need to buy a $100-200 disc every year like Eclipse. I know a guy that is a Kenwood Excelon dealer and installs it at your house at times too.

Here's the specs..

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_12051_Kenwood+eXcelon+DNX8120.html#specs

here' the link to what it looks like

http://www.techfresh.net/gadgets/navigation/kenwood-excelon-dnx-8120-gps-navigation-system/

Most stereo places in SoCal sells this unit for 1600 bucks before install.. Let me know how many people wanna get on this and I can ask him if you guys wanna do a group thing.Â* O0

Rin Tin Tin
03-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Kenwood Excelon DNX-8120 by far the best unit I've tried since I've been shopping around for ages.. The graphics on the lcd are great unlike Eclipse's crappy Nintendo look and now it also has Garmin's built-in Navi (not the garmin separate unit) and bluetooth w/ microphone as a standard. Also on Map area updates, you can go onto Kenwood or Garmin's site and update it when they're released every year..so no need to buy a $100-200 disc every year like Eclipse. I know a guy that is a Kenwood Excelon dealer and installs it at your house at times too.

Most stereo places in SoCal sells this unit for 1600 bucks before install.. Let me know how many people wanna get on this and I can ask him if you guys wanna do a group thing. O0

Where did you go try it out at?
Has it been released yet?
Ive been looking at this unit for quite some time now but recently im starting to loose interest since im going back and fourth on what i should get.... 8120 or a carputer....

WhiteIXMR
03-30-2008, 02:03 PM
carputers are kool too but my buddies have them in their G35s and I wasn't that happy with the long term results. He started to have lag issues as if it had a virus..it was also giving out more heat compared to regular decks, and he said it kinda felt as if it drained his battery more. There were similar issues at the audio stores near by my house..that being said so i dropped the whole carputer thing.Â* It could just be his opinion on it also too cuz alot of ppl actually love their carputers..so it's more of a preference.. my buddy that deals kenwood products has these in stock and is actually having trouble ordering them at this moment b/c it is being released as of This Tues/Weds by Kenwood to regular dealers. I'm pretty sure if you shop around..many stereo shops have ordered them and not received them yet until this weekend or next week. but all and all it's up to you..either way is fine...but all i know is when i laid my eyes on this deck..it was a big step up for kenwood and garmin and the features and graphics are outstanding.

Rin Tin Tin
03-30-2008, 09:13 PM
why is SonicElectronix selling it cheaper than other places?

WhiteIXMR
03-31-2008, 07:20 PM

Iono but it's a good site to go to to view. I've never bought anything there but everytime i wanted to buy something really good..it's always out of stock.

PUNISHER
04-02-2008, 12:52 AM
I HAVE THE Z2.. ILL POST SUM PICS LATER ON TODAY.

Granny Shifter
04-02-2008, 12:57 AM
pm dos531. he is selling the orbital double din kit with the hvac climate knobs. i'd get an eclipse avn. you can find them for great prices too.

WhiteIXMR
04-04-2008, 09:12 PM

I just found out why Sonic electronics is selling it cheaper..it's b/c they aren't authorized Kenwood dealers so they offer warranty through them only not by Kenwood.. so they void out the Serial numbers. just found that out today..so that's why places like those sell them cheaper. You can see it on their site it'll say 2 year warranty by Sonic Electronics.

Rin Tin Tin
04-05-2008, 12:11 AM
dam, theres a lot of stuff not covered in their warranty.
Thanks for the info. I think going to stick with an authorized dealer then.

WhiteIXMR
04-11-2008, 09:18 AM

I just got my Kenwood 8120 installed and man..it's the best deck ever. The bluetooth is nice..it syncs with my phone and i can scroll through my phone book on the monitor. The voice dialing is so precise..you can even text msg on your monitor..ahaha..the dvd quality is superb...it's user friendly and has so many functions to it...I'm going to read up more on the manual tonite to mess with it...

Kenwood DNX-8120 FTW

jello810
04-11-2008, 09:48 AM

I just got my Kenwood 8120 installed and man..it's the best deck ever. The bluetooth is nice..it syncs with my phone and i can scroll through my phone book on the monitor. The voice dialing is so precise..you can even text msg on your monitor..ahaha..the dvd quality is superb...it's user friendly and has so many functions to it...I'm going to read up more on the manual tonite to mess with it...

Kenwood DNX-8120 FTW

how much did you get it for?

WhiteIXMR
04-11-2008, 03:05 PM

My buddy will do it for $1400 installed..of course if you have the orbital kit also.. It was re-released as of yesterday by Kenwood. They had to do a re-call on the 1st batch b/c the software update wasn't complete and half the functions didn't work. So if any of you guys are buying it elsewhere make sure it has the Kenwood stamp that says "Certified Upgrade" on it. Other wise the unit will lock itself when it's powered on. Let me know if anyone wants to jump on this deal. I'm not making anything off of it. Just wanted to help fellow evo owners out.

Rin Tin Tin
04-11-2008, 08:52 PM
My buddy will do it for $1400 installed..of course if you have the orbital kit also.. It was re-released as of yesterday by Kenwood. They had to do a re-call on the 1st batch b/c the software update wasn't complete and half the functions didn't work. So if any of you guys are buying it elsewhere make sure it has the Kenwood stamp that says "Certified Upgrade" on it. Other wise the unit will lock itself when it's powered on. Let me know if anyone wants to jump on this deal. I'm not making anything off of it. Just wanted to help fellow evo owners out.

Where at? Im interested.
Hope its not too far away :(

How much is it for just the Unit? no install.

PUNISHER
04-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Heres one pic of the Z2, as far as installation, its pretty easy once you get the wiring harness...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/PUN7SHER/Z2.jpg

Rin Tin Tin
04-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Heres one pic of the Z2, as far as installation, its pretty easy once you get the wiring harness...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/PUN7SHER/Z2.jpg

Dam that looks nice. Where did you get the harness?

PUNISHER
04-12-2008, 01:10 PM
same place i bought the stereo... i got mine in downtown L.A. at the stereo outlets 11th st/central ave. Also you can get it at any stereo shop, best buy, circuit city. If you install it, just go to the other thread under this one and look at the wiring for the speed sensor and the reverse.. On the wiring harness everything is labeled... as far as which are for speakers... also the harness and the aftermarket stereos have the same color, so it goes hand in hand.

WhiteIXMR
04-12-2008, 01:42 PM

Where at? Im interested.

Not quite sure. I'll ask for ya...I've been playing with it as the day goes by and just found out there's a trip computer and digital speedometer on it too...aahah..it's probably not going to be used but kool to know.

vial8or
04-12-2008, 02:28 PM

Where at? Im interested.

Not quite sure. I'll ask for ya...I've been playing with it as the day goes by and just found out there's a trip computer and digital speedometer on it too...aahah..it's probably not going to be used but kool to know.

lol not going to be used?? that shit is awesome!!
i use mine all the time, i like to beat my records on how fast i can get to a place. hahaha it does come in handy.

Rin Tin Tin
04-12-2008, 03:06 PM

Can you tell me what city hes in? I would like to know at least how far of a drive.
And dam you! I wish i had the unit already :'(

jello810
04-12-2008, 09:51 PM

My buddy will do it for $1400 installed..of course if you have the orbital kit also.. Just wanted to help fellow evo owners out.

thanks for the info. i ended up geting the eclipse avn 6620...still learning the features...lol

WhiteIXMR
04-13-2008, 12:58 AM

Can you tell me what city hes in? I would like to know at least how far of a drive.

He's located in Westminster, CA. Usually travels around OC near the block and all.

and Congrats Jello810 on the new deck purchase..maybe we can meet sometime and I can check out the eclipse deck..

Rin Tin Tin
04-13-2008, 01:08 PM
He's located in Westminster, CA. Usually travels around OC near the block and all.

and Congrats Jello810 on the new deck purchase..maybe we can meet sometime and I can check out the eclipse deck..

Can you PM me the cross-streets and shop name? I live about 10-15 mins away from Westminster :grin:

jello810
04-13-2008, 07:12 PM

see you tuesday!