PDA

View Full Version : evo 9 head swap (into evo 8)

trinydex
09-20-2006, 03:16 PM
evo 9 head swap (into evo 8)

so some want mivec, some want the coolant passages... i'm sure goku will chime. is this plausible? what is required? how much ecu befuddling do you have to do? and please people with ecuflash knowledge about the difference between ecus please chime in.

trinydex
09-20-2006, 03:40 PM
i also don't like the differentials... which would likely be the big problem on a 9 to 8 swap... :[

earlyapex
09-20-2006, 04:18 PM
What do the differentials have to do with a head swap?

trinydex
09-20-2006, 05:36 PM
the diffs have to do with the ecu, i think they have identified the big spot in the rom that deals with the center diff but don't know what is what yet... i wonder if they could just delete that spot nad let me be on my way.

GokuSSJ4
09-21-2006, 08:13 AM
LOL how did i get involve into this :?
Its pretty much like doing a Vtec swap (give and take) , you will need to run a IX ECU, and entire complete head w/out the intake mani ... And since the ECU plugs arent the same as the VIII either re wire will be needed or a harness (in order not to hack the stock harness) This is a good alternative for those that want Mivec but dont want to trade in there VIII's at the dealer.
Triny can you fine the pin out for the ecu for the VIII and IX ??? that should tell you how much re wiring will be needed in order to make the IX ECU work with the stock VIII harness ...

x[corwyn]
09-21-2006, 10:00 AM
I really gotta ask... The cost to benefit ratio.... Is it REALLY there? Wouldn't you rather put the money into a Cosworth head rather than put this kinda money and effort? An ECU is what? about $900? How much for a head? $2k-$3k? Then all the other assorted stuff to get it working..... Seems the better value is a Cosworth head.

EVILEVO05
09-21-2006, 10:11 AM
The question I ask then. Has it been done yet? Was it successful? It's not that i don't think it can be done? But at what cost, and how much better will it make the 8 overall? It is just cost versus benefit, however this is a personal opinion and like I said before if somebody is willing to do it and if they are happy with in then so be it. The fact that I said that it is Ghetto I am refering to the fact that we are doing head swaps. Civics, Integras have a few different types of heads that they can swap and in those engines it actually makes a diffrence, in ours hell who knows. Are we really going to get that much out of it??

earlyapex
09-21-2006, 10:55 AM
the diffs have to do with the ecu, i think they have identified the big spot in the rom that deals with the center diff but don't know what is what yet... i wonder if they could just delete that spot nad let me be on my way.

ACD has a seperate ECU located to the right of the glove box.

Ricardon
09-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Thread cleaned...again. Read the forum category. Read the OP. Stay on topic. This is not a philosophical debate on whether or not it's worth it to do so...the debate is what will it take to do this, or is it possible. If I have to clean this thread again, its going away.

trinydex
09-21-2006, 02:38 PM
uhm... goku can search the 9 harness pin out, it's in the how to and faq section i believe.

good to know that acd has it's own ecu... i guess there's no parameters that need to be changed for such cars then? maybe i was referring to the mivec data block in the rom. i forget quite a bit.

evovic
09-22-2006, 02:43 PM
I will suggest you wait a little bit longer and see if there any japanese done this.
What i know is the vtec controller on the market can also use on a MIVEC, so i may thinking you may not have to change the ecu but get a vtec controller.
I don't know if i right, just guess!!

EVOla_VIRUS
09-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Could something like this help to control MIVEC?

http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/parts/electronics/mvc85x.htm

trinydex
09-22-2006, 03:31 PM
its not just about controling it the stock ecu has to read certain things off it. ivtec in s2ks always keeps the intake cam at a certain degree and automatically corrects for offsets.

using a nonstock unit dos not do that.

earlyapex
09-22-2006, 03:44 PM
I will suggest you wait a little bit longer and see if there any japanese done this.
What i know is the vtec controller on the market can also use on a MIVEC, so i may thinking you may not have to change the ecu but get a vtec controller.
I don't know if i right, just guess!!

You know for a fact it does? They are totally two different systems.

trinydex
10-03-2006, 02:43 AM
Just wanted to share some info on a car that was completed at Pruven today.

It was a 2005 Evo MR that was changed over to a IX motor, stock IX turbo and a 2003 5 speed trans.

Tonight, I completed the tuning on the car and the swap went through problem free, its bascially a bolt on affair with no wiring needed as long as you have the ecu and wiring harness.

The car picked up a solid 30 whp and TQ over where it was as a Evo 8 with this transplant.

I don't think this conversion if for everyone, but if you can find a IX motor and ecu at a decent price and sell your Evo 8 engine then it may make sense to consider.

I can't post the dyno sheets as this car is a race car and the tuning specs and a/f etc are a something the customer does not wish to disclose.

If any one has any questions about wiring details or any other facts of this conversion feel free to PM or email me,

AL

PS - Big props to Kenny and John at Pruven for doing such a great job wrenching on this special car.

Terry S
10-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Just wanted to share some info on a car that was completed at Pruven today.

It was a 2005 Evo MR that was changed over to a IX motor, stock IX turbo and a 2003 5 speed trans.

Tonight, I completed the tuning on the car and the swap went through problem free, its bascially a bolt on affair with no wiring needed as long as you have the ecu and wiring harness.

The car picked up a solid 30 whp and TQ over where it was as a Evo 8 with this transplant.

I don't think this conversion if for everyone, but if you can find a IX motor and ecu at a decent price and sell your Evo 8 engine then it may make sense to consider.

I can't post the dyno sheets as this car is a race car and the tuning specs and a/f etc are a something the customer does not wish to disclose.

If any one has any questions about wiring details or any other facts of this conversion feel free to PM or email me,

AL

PS - Big props to Kenny and John at Pruven for doing such a great job wrenching on this special car.

Anything out of Big Al's mouth must be taken with a large grain of salt.

Terry S

trinydex
10-04-2006, 12:53 PM
i know, just put that there to show it's possible and done.

evomrguy
10-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Now, for the common man, I wonder if it can be done with only a head swap with related sensors and an ecu? If you were to say, be in the market for a cosworth head and cams, you could easily buy the 9 setup instead. You should be roughly half way there. I would wonder how difficult it would be to make an adaptor harness from a spliced up 8 and 9 jumper harness for the ecu and just run any other wires you would need directly from the 9 ecu to the 9 head. Other than that you would most likely need the mivec sensor and intake cam gear. Doesnt sound too hard. Anyone have some spare money they'd like to donate for a "project"?

trinydex
10-04-2006, 10:00 PM
the bottom end isn't an issue... only the ecu and the head. chances are a harness would not be made, who would make it? you'd have to just splice the wires.

trinydex
10-24-2006, 09:09 PM
trinydex: is cossie ever gonna make a ported polished 9 cylinder head like they do for the 8 a whole crate head?

mike w: Yes they are in stock. $3700

someone DO IT

GokuSSJ4
10-24-2006, 09:44 PM
hahahha! well theres some re wiring that needs to be done.. specially re wiring the mivec and the new ecu lay out .. its a lot of work, especially for some one that hasnt done a harness for it (since this is something new) doing a head and ecu swap

EFIxMR
10-29-2006, 07:30 PM
I would consider doing it if someone could confirm that the block is indeed indentical between the 8 and 9. wiring wont be a problem, as I have a motec m800 gold box. it would be pretty lousy to buy the head only to find that the coolant passages don't line up. a quick and easy way to find out would be to compare the evo 8 vs the evo 9 headgasket.

trinydex
10-29-2006, 07:49 PM
hmmm this is a good question... considering that i would want to do this swap on a 2.4... of course there are some lancer 2.4s that come mivec ready but who knows if the cooland passges line up :\

EFIxMR
10-29-2006, 08:03 PM
also with the new evo ix aem coming out this swap is very doable, provided that it is a straight swap on the block.

i think the mivec with a stroker is going to make the spool of a bigger turbo unreal.

x[corwyn]
10-30-2006, 01:49 AM
Does anyone think there will be a large enough difference between a Cosworth 8 and a Cosworth 9 head to go through the extra work to get it going? I'm just curious to see some HP numbers and dyno sheets to see where the power is being made and whether the difference is really there at that point.

GokuSSJ4
10-30-2006, 02:02 AM
]
Does anyone think there will be a large enough difference between a Cosworth 8 and a Cosworth 9 head to go through the extra work to get it going? I'm just curious to see some HP numbers and dyno sheets to see where the power is being made and whether the difference is really there at that point.
the cosworth VIII head IMO hasnt been showned to show some gains compare to others for the cost. so what flow charts will you start off with first to prove that gains will be seen with a ix cosworth head in order to make the extra amount of $$$ worth it ?
im sure eventually you will be able to pick up a IX head for around the price of an viii (800-1200) remember that it isnt just the head needed but other things as well..
like cams, cam gears (intake Mivec) Mivec controller, ecu , etc....

c32c7
10-30-2006, 06:55 PM
There are quite a few differences between the EVO 9 engine as a whole. I think you're just better off finding a low mileage IX motor and do a swap. Will probably save you alot of headaches in the meantime. But if you pull off a "hybrid" big props to ya.

trinydex
10-31-2006, 11:18 PM
nope i want a 2.4 hahaha

trinydex
11-07-2006, 04:21 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=233547

Tonight we finally finished our testing with the Cosworth Evo IX Camshafts. We were very happy with the results. All testing was performed on our Mustang AWD Dyno. These are true wheel horsepower and torque numbers. A dyno graph comparison is attached to the thread.

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR

2.4L 4G64 Built Short Block
GT35R Turbo
Blitz Induction Cover
Test Pipe
Greddy Titanium Exhaust
Greddy 24V Intercooler
Cosworth 272 11.0mm Camshafts
Works Valve Springs
Works Titanium Retainers
Carbonetic Twin Carbon 1,350KG Clutch
Walbro Fuel Pump
780cc Fuel Injectors

Stock Air Box
Stock Upper Inter Cooler Pipe
Stock Blow-off Valve

Motec M800

27PSI~26PSI
Sunoco GT Plus Unleaded 109

46.7WHP Peak Gain
15.1WTQ Peak Gain

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR

Blitz Induction Cover
JIC Bullet Downpipe
JIC Spartan Type 2 Ti Exhaust
Cosworth 272 11.0mm Camshafts
Works Valve Springs
Works Titanium Retainers

Everything else stock, including drivetrain.

21PSI~16PSI
91 Octane Pump Gas

22.4WHP Peak Gain
9.6WTQ Peak Gain

http://forums.evolutionm.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=98882

http://forums.evolutionm.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=98896

as you can see this means that mivec 2.4 is entirely possible. thank you.

GokuSSJ4
11-07-2006, 04:51 PM
from my understanding is that the blocks aren't the same.... i wonder my additional things they had to performed in order to make the Mivec head compatible with the 2.4 block. Maybe Alfred@TT can chime in, since they recently just did a 2.3l on a IX ...

atlvalet
11-09-2006, 12:41 AM
I think the part number for the 9 block is different than the 8 block. I called mitubishipartsdirect.com awhile back, and remember that the #'s were different. It's easy to double check, though.

Alfred@TTech
11-10-2006, 01:04 AM
Yes the part number is different. The major physical variation is the Mivec oil port on the block.

On topic........The MIVEC is a huge asset and it would be great to see a swap like this.

DOOMID
01-13-2007, 01:39 AM
Evo 8 block lacks the oil channles for the mivec. THe right way to do it is get a IX motor and harness and put AEM EMS. Yes it is expensive, but if you are considering trying to do something like this, youd have to spend the money either way, so IMO....do it right or dont do it..

trinydex
01-13-2007, 03:04 AM
well the more i think about it the more a 9 block with a 9 head wouldn't be a bad deal with either a striaght high revving 2 or a 2.2 or something.... i wanna do this someday i just want mike to say it's possible so i can start savin' up at my new job

atlvalet
01-15-2007, 01:52 AM
I've already thought about this myself. :)

trinydex
01-27-2007, 10:59 PM
so i've been informed recently that the evo 6 motors have huge cooling passages. larger than even maybe the 9. of course the mivec is better, but if you just want the stout block with stout cooling it is an option to be thought of.

x[corwyn]
01-28-2007, 07:04 PM
so i've been informed recently that the evo 6 motors have huge cooling passages. larger than even maybe the 9. of course the mivec is better, but if you just want the stout block with stout cooling it is an option to be thought of.
Will those larger passages though weaken the integrity of the block? Why did they switch to smaller in the 7/8?

trinydex
01-28-2007, 07:12 PM
they swtiched to the different passages because of emissions regulations. i believe warm up time of the car plays some factors. the 6 blocks are actually supposed to be stouter.

trinydex
10-02-2007, 01:16 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=297020&page=3&highlight=evo+8.5

Well there was a number of factors in my case,Â* Â*The seller of the engine did not sell me all the parts as promised and lied about its condition so i actually had to use alot of my old evo 8 parts which supprisingly are identical.Â* Â*With the exception of the rear o2 sensor plug and the transmission speed sensor plug beingÂ* The only 2 plugs that didnt plug in.Â* Â*Its basically like just putting the same motor back in.Â* everything else bolted right back up.Â* Â*I just have the ACD plugs that arent pluged in.Â* Â*Ohh and there are 3 plugs inside the car that i have no idea what they are for lol but the car works without them so haha yeah dunno. i think its for the acd computer.

Anyways, i got the motor and had to swap parts over, wait on the harness then i got the harness all bunk so i got depressed drank a beer , had a dream that i fixed the harness and the next day i did the same thing in my dream and it worked lol.Â* Â*So you can actually Leave the Big fuse box in your car and only swap the smaller fuse box that deattachs from it. "wow" yeah thats what i said and slaped myself for cause i waited 3 months with everything i needed to complete this.

So the only things that need custom work are the :
A . Rear o2 sensor plug
B. Transmission speed sensor plug

Which these might very from te 03-04 to the 05. who knows they might have changed the plugs over in the 05 so then its not extra work at all.

Ohh but to your question , from the moment i got into a wreck. its beenÂ* 11 months and 15 days haha.Â* Â*but it was in the body shop for 2 months for fixing the damages on the front end and DAMN did they do a good job on that.

leaveit2bevo
10-02-2007, 03:23 PM
so 8 short block with 9 head? or just 9 motor in 8?

trinydex
10-02-2007, 03:37 PM
you can do either. the difference is if you're doing just the head swap then you need to sort out the oil passage situation for the mivec head.

leaveit2bevo
10-02-2007, 08:44 PM
if your going to go through all the trouble why not just use the 9 block to begin with since it has bigger oil passages anyways.

trinydex
10-03-2007, 12:27 AM
only the head has larger passeges to my knowledge... the 6 block has the largest coolant passages also from what i hear.

atlvalet
10-03-2007, 12:55 PM
its already been done on a 2.4 so thats prettys close already. I still think it would be pretty complicated, you still need to address the ecu issue which is a different one than the ochos so the wiring harness might also be diff. It seems like a big pain in the ass.

Where is the 2.4 that's been done? And yes, you'll need a 9 ECU and the engine wiring harness.

StockEVO
10-03-2007, 02:28 PM
You are going to make me scroll through 7 pages of he said, she said worth of shit? Hahaha

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=233547

trinydex
10-03-2007, 02:48 PM
there is nothing revealing in that thread. except that they did it. the discussion is about cossie cams.

JasonS_Evo_Tech
10-15-2007, 10:09 AM
I think it can be done, I didnt pay any attention to see if the harness is compatibile from an 8 would actually work with a ix computer. I know you can bolt and 8 head to a 9 block, just have to plug the oil passage or get an adapter for an oil swith/gauge. I asked Alfred when I worked at TT if it was possible to swap mivec on an 8. We talked about it but it really didnt go that far. I think it is, you have to run an oil line to the head. If the harness on the motor is the same then a simple pin out should work for the 9 ecu. dont quote me on it but Its something I always wanted to do but no one has actually wanted to do it.

krispytapa
10-15-2007, 10:18 AM
hks makes a mivec style conversion for the iv-viii. but i haven't seen it here in the states, yet.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/krispytapa/Option2001.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/krispytapa/Option001.jpg

JasonS_Evo_Tech
10-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Someone gets this kit, I will do the install, practically for free!!! Thats no BS.

trinydex
10-15-2007, 10:36 AM
that conversion is bank though...

EVO 9 has the same tb as an EVO 8, it is actuated by a cable.

To do this swap you need the EVO 9 head, Mivec cam gear, Mivec oil control actuator, Intake Hall effect sensor, EVO 9 wire harness, and ECU.

he means intake cam angle sensor

you can see this is exactly what is in the hks kit.

JasonS_Evo_Tech
10-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Looks like an HKS valve cover, cam cover, mivec cam gear, and some sensors, Im not sure if one is a solenoid that actuates the mivec, and a cam angle sensor and a mivec controller. Looks very interesting and Im itching to do a conversion

Granny Shifter
10-15-2007, 11:27 AM
how much will it cost? so you'd do it for free huh Jason_Evo_Tech?

JasonS_Evo_Tech
10-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Ok not free, but for some credit for doin the job and some cigarettes and a starbucks coffee.

trinydex
10-15-2007, 11:45 AM
yeah... iunno why they don't show the head... but i guess the valve cover must have some special sauce for the oil to work the mivec?? iunno

JasonS_Evo_Tech
10-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Im sure I can figure it all out, it looks a little funny to me, but shit, coming from HKS im sure its top notch and works right the first time.

Granny Shifter
10-15-2007, 03:17 PM
true that. if it isnt too expensive, i'll be hitting you up jasons_evo_tech :)

Evo_ATE_gsr
10-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Cost mad cheddah!

spoolinbyu
10-15-2007, 03:25 PM
any one have the specs and stuff to it or write about abut it in english

JasonS_Evo_Tech
10-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Sweet, done deal, or dizzle. However you wanna check it out, if anyone else needs anything PM muh smelly ass

MJCT9A
10-15-2007, 06:39 PM
what kind of HKS cam are they running w/ this setup? 280/272/264? would be very interesting to get it in the states....you could always shave the HKS POWER on the valve cover for stealthness..

trinydex
10-15-2007, 10:03 PM
why would anyone want the hks... just get the legit mitsu swap.

MJCT9A
10-15-2007, 10:08 PM
i would want the hks swap over the mitsu one. it appears the this swap comes w/ the module for the variable lift control instead of a complete ecu swap...it really depends on your current setup...personally i would benefit more from the hks kit than the mitsu...

JasonS_Evo_Tech
10-15-2007, 10:40 PM
I think the HKS setup would be cheaper and seemingly theres an ablility to tune the mivec on the go. I dont know what the cam is, but seems seriously interesting to me, thats why im going to do it for what equates to less then 20 labor, damn why do i think ive lost my mind on this shit. lol

MJCT9A
10-15-2007, 10:47 PM
would you be able to swap out the HKS cam for any other cam like a cosworth, JUN, tomei...etc....using the cam gear provided?

JasonS_Evo_Tech
10-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Ok, I have looked at the HKS japanese web site, and I found it on there, they have 2 different setups, the 264, 280. seems this kit is something thats straight up tight. I think the part number for the vii and viii is CT9A.

I dont see why you wouldnt be able to swap the cam out, I think we need to see this kit first and compare the HKS cam in the kit to a stock IX cam just to make sure, I should be able to get ahold of a stock IX cam for some comparative photos.

leaveit2bevo
10-16-2007, 12:28 AM
I have a hard time believing a ghetto mivec setup like that would be reliable especially with abuse.

Evo8urv8
10-16-2007, 12:39 AM
I have a hard time believing a ghetto mivec setup like that would be reliable especially with abuse.

I dont see why not since the honda guys have done it with LS/Vtecs and B20/Vtecs . Maybe if it's installed correct, upgraded the internals (rods, pistons, valve springs, retainers, head and rod bolts, etc) , and tuned, it should be reliable and able to handle the abuse.

trinydex
10-16-2007, 08:19 AM
i would want the hks swap over the mitsu one. it appears the this swap comes w/ the module for the variable lift control instead of a complete ecu swap...it really depends on your current setup...personally i would benefit more from the hks kit than the mitsu...
there is no lift control in mivec. i can't possibly see why you'd benefit more from the mitsu head than the mitsu head.

it's all the same shit... why doesn't anyone see that?

atlvalet
10-16-2007, 10:25 AM
I would opt for the MIVEC head instead of some HKS contraption.

The 2.4 + MIVEC head is my personal evil future plan.

trinydex
10-16-2007, 10:35 AM
^ finally... someone who's thinkin' the same thing as me...

spoolinbyu
10-16-2007, 11:51 AM
i am not exactly sure how this thing works but i am sure it isnt like MIVEC at all. . .and the cams i am not sure if they are inn change able the mivec cams have oil in them 8 dont have the setup for that. . .

dont risk the head for some contraption. . .you will end up getting new head anyways why not just start there. . .hahaha

trinydex
10-16-2007, 12:53 PM
what are you talking about?

atlvalet
10-16-2007, 04:04 PM

Magnus 2.4 long-rod shortblock + Cosworth MIVEC head + 9 ECU & wiring harness + GST tune with GM 3-port = automotive orgasm.

leaveit2bevo
10-16-2007, 05:27 PM
=10gs + hahaha but that would be a killer setup

JasonS_Evo_Tech
10-16-2007, 05:51 PM
if HKS is such a piece of shit and unreliable, then why does everyone jock the f*** out of their cams and other products. I think HKS knows their shit, and wouldnt put a product out that doesnt work. Im sticking with it would work great just on the HKS reputation for quality and reliability.

trinydex
10-16-2007, 06:09 PM

Magnus 2.4 long-rod shortblock + Cosworth MIVEC head + 9 ECU & wiring harness + GST tune with GM 3-port = automotive orgasm.
so we ARE thinking alike.....

trinydex
10-16-2007, 06:10 PM
if HKS is such a piece of shit and unreliable, then why does everyone jock the f*** out of their cams and other products. I think HKS knows their shit, and wouldnt put a product out that doesnt work. Im sticking with it would work great just on the HKS reputation for quality and reliability.
this hks kit is made for people who don't have the inside knowledge that we do. it's for the person who wants to hand their car to hks and have hks do "the works"

we can piece together something just as good and probably for less, while not sacraficing any reliability (mitsu oem parts).

there'd be nothin' wrong with it if it were free or less than oem parts. but we all know hks is bank.

atlvalet
10-16-2007, 08:29 PM
if HKS is such a piece of shit and unreliable, then why does everyone jock the f*** out of their cams and other products.

Because there are a bunch of 20-something JDM lemmings in the world (no offense to 20-somethings who aren't lemmings).

atlvalet
10-16-2007, 08:31 PM
=10gs + hahaha but that would be a killer setup

Well, if you don't blow up your original engine, you could sell the longblock for about 2G's...so it's only 8 grand :)

atlvalet
10-16-2007, 08:33 PM

so we ARE thinking alike.....

Price no object? Depending on how heavy the Magnus pistons are, I might have Aby do some of his special engine-building work and send the Magnus 156mm rod to Arrow Precision to have some custom Ti rods made :D

leaveit2bevo
10-16-2007, 09:10 PM

theres a big difference, their normal cams are just drop in no bs, their mivec setup is ghetto rigging a lot of extra parts into a place not meant for mivec. Why would you pay a MORE cash for hks "mivec" when you can use oem parts for cheaper that were meant and properly engineered for the car? Mitsu mivec is just as jayydeem and hks "mivec"

trinydex
10-16-2007, 09:24 PM
it'd be worse if the hks stuff was just mitsu rebranded stuff :X

Miss Evo8
10-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Just swap the whole IX motor if u must have MIVEC that bad :buck2:

vortech_g35
10-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Why not just buy a Motec800.....

trinydex
10-17-2007, 02:21 PM
why not just put a ferrari motor in... becuase it would cost a lot more.

JasonS_Evo_Tech
10-17-2007, 10:17 PM
I think I am just about done with this thread. Everyone can think what they want. I just cant wait to see what some of these "insiders" would and could do if they hacked, ooops I mean swapped a IX motor and wiring into their cars. This is just retarded to argue if its good or not. If it turns out to work good then theres a grip of lemming(people) out there who are gonna look hella retarded out there. I just figure why not try it. Obviously its got to be something good if we cant get it here in the States, just like the slew of other shit that they have around the world that we cant and most likely wont get here. This is worse then beating a dead horse, So im back to my original statement...If someone gets it, I will install it. what more can be said.

JasonS_Evo_Tech
10-17-2007, 10:18 PM
PS, Please dont take it as I am bashing anyone out there cause I am not. I am just stating my opinion.

atlvalet
10-18-2007, 10:33 AM
If this HKS thing is really an improvement on MIVEC, then you would see Evo 9 owners making the swap.

I still think it's easier to swap a MIVEC head + wiring harness and ECU. But that's just my opinion.

JasonS_Evo_Tech
10-18-2007, 03:50 PM
ATL.....Evo 9 owners dont have to make the swap, dont they have mivec already???? Just a thought. Besides we dont know if people make this swap in japan or anywhere else in the world, who knows it could be something big in other places where people just have a VII or an VIII. just an idea.

spoolinbyu
10-18-2007, 04:03 PM
like i said before is there any write ups on this if not this thread is pointless we can sit here and say it may be good at may not all day and get no where. . .are there any write ups on this YES or NO

SeanC
11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Several people have installed a MIVEC head on a EVO 8 and 4G64 block...nothing new. The 4G64 with Mivec head is a great combination.

trinydex
11-11-2007, 09:31 PM
your sources please

SeanC
11-11-2007, 11:50 PM
I know Mynes Performance has a Evo IX with a 4G64 block using the MIVEC head.

I'd have to dig up some info about the EVO VIII block with IX head...

mchuang
07-12-2008, 03:40 PM
So is this possible or not, so I can invest in a evo 9 head. Can you just run an external oil line for the mivec like the lsvtec guys?

javicracer
07-12-2008, 03:44 PM
So is this possible or not, so I can invest in a evo 9 head. Can you just run an external oil line for the mivec like the lsvtec guys?

well u can except that mivec is not an oil line :)!!!! mivec is like an electronic cam gear!!!!

javicracer
07-12-2008, 03:47 PM
u will need a harness and a ecu of a 9!!!!

mchuang
07-14-2008, 06:53 AM
I know it is not an oil line, ls vtec is not an oil line either, but the line is needed due to it missing from oil port missing from the LS block and the port on the vtec head being tapped off and I was trying to find out if this is a similar situation when putting an evo9 head on an evo 8 block since from this thread people say the oil galleys are bigger? When doing a evo 9 stroker like 2.3 or 2.4 is that using a block similar to the evo 8 block or just a crank change and boring the cylinders?

1WkdEvo
07-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Usually just a crank change and using the same bottom end.Â* You should just buy my complete IX longblock ;-)Â* You can find IX ECUs pretty easily or just go EMS at the same time to avoid the issue completely

1320EvO
09-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Ok so did anyone ever do it ?? seven pages of thread and to be left with a big question mark ??? i know its kinda old now but its still a topic of intrest for me and some others .. would appreciate a happy ending if there is one ..

JasonS_Evo_Tech
11-06-2008, 05:36 PM
actually mivec is run off of oil pressure, so the lsvtec things is kinda right.

KT Motoring
11-06-2008, 05:55 PM
you need to tap in the the back off the the block in order to run a mivec head on evo 8 block