PDA

View Full Version : speed contesting is now a felony

wj4
09-25-2006, 11:01 PM
good riddance, i hope this will make some of the street racers think twice before running someone.

SACRAMENTO – Drivers who illegally race cars on California's roads could face prison time and fines under a law Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed Saturday.

"Those who race their cars at high speeds on California streets and highways endanger the lives of innocent people as well as themselves," the Republican governor said in a statement.

The bill by Assemblyman John Benoit, R-Palm Desert, seeks to target the growing popularity of illegal street racing, featured in this year's Hollywood movie, "The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift."

Supporters of the bill say illegal street racing kills or injures hundreds of people each year. The Department of Motor Vehicles reported that 7,640 drivers were convicted last year for engaging in motor vehicle speed contests, a 9 percent increase from the year before, according to Benoit.

Under the new law, prosecutors can seek increased penalties against drivers who engage in reckless driving or speed contests that injure another person. Drivers could be charged with a felony, sentenced to up to 6 months in state prison and fined up to $1,000 – a much stiffer penalty than the old misdemeanor law.

JOOTZ
09-25-2006, 11:04 PM
when will this be???or is itÂ* there already,
gotta be smarter out there on the streets

:police: :tickedoff: :police: :tickedoff: :police: :tickedoff: :police: :tickedoff:

kimletrim
09-25-2006, 11:08 PM
I better get my street racing kicks on now then!!! See you in state prison.

AWDTURBO
09-25-2006, 11:09 PM
keep it on the tracks if you want to race!!!

wj4
09-25-2006, 11:10 PM
gotta be smarter out there on the streets
or dont try to be slick at all and keep it on the tracks. speaking from experience here....

See you in state prison.
cell number 204. im wearing the orange nikes with black laces.

thisxguy
09-25-2006, 11:17 PM
this sucks. i think they should open up a certain date each month or something where they close off a certain area so we can race O0
hopefully that'll get the racing out of everyone system or at least let them keep what they have a secret until its "time"

trinydex
09-26-2006, 12:50 AM
that also means they should stop giving out bullshit speed contest tickets and start citing and arresting with serious proof only. some cops have just been throwin' speed contest around like it's all gravy.

nlakind
09-26-2006, 01:17 AM
I think this law is ridiculous...& not because I'm some crazy street racer but because America is trying to make EVERYTHING illegal! Speeding is already illegal, now they're going to fill fu$king prison's with street racer's...I'm happy to know that my hard earned tax money will be going to people who are racing car's & taking up the little prison space we have instead of rapists, crooks, & killers! I think since Arnold made street racing illegal he should make eating illegal as well because obesity is killing A LOT MORE PEOPLE than racing is!!! Just my 2 cents

EVOL EDO
09-26-2006, 01:29 AM
the bottom said it could be a felony if pressed for by the prosecuter. but it said when a person is injured. if you are stupid enough to race and someone gets hurt maybe you need some time in jail.

EVOL EDO
09-26-2006, 01:30 AM
however if they could charge anyone racing with a felony then thats retarded. also they should instate laws that regulate cops and keep them from being assholes for no reason.

nlakind
09-26-2006, 01:42 AM
however if they could charge anyone racing with a felony then thats retarded. also they should instate laws that regulate cops and keep them from being assholes for no reason.

+1

trinydex
09-26-2006, 01:50 AM
I think this law is ridiculous...& not because I'm some crazy street racer but because America is trying to make EVERYTHING illegal! Speeding is already illegal, now they're going to fill fu$king prison's with street racer's...I'm happy to know that my hard earned tax money will be going to people who are racing car's & taking up the little prison space we have instead of rapists, crooks, & killers! I think since Arnold made street racing illegal he should make eating illegal as well because obesity is killing A LOT MORE PEOPLE than racing is!!! Just my 2 cents
i think this is a good point. there's too many sexual offenders that are running free out there. why? why? why?

this issue is constantly brushed under the rug. it's constandly made hidden, ignored, silenced, it's made to be embarassing and made to be shameful for the victims. this is just terrible. i'm not talkin' about date rape (although that's horrible) i'm not talkin' about a lil stach (although that's probably a problem of its own too). i'm talkin' about sick motherfuckers that sexually abuse their foster children, i'm talkin' about sick sick fucks that rape children, kidnap them and enslave them for disgusting purposes. i'm talki'n about people that LITERALLY TAKE LIVES without actually killing someone. how can a person be ok after such an experience? how can someone forget? how can someone live after that? while their heart still beats and their brains still send pulses of electricity their spirit is crushed and their existence is broken.

yet somehow people live under the same roof as these REPEAT offenders and say nothing. people ignore it, victims are silenced and GOODNESS HELP ME THE MOTHERFUCKERS DON'T SPEND LIFE LIFE LIFE in JAIL!!!! for the lives they took.

they say it's a disease... they make excuses for them. i say fuck that. if it's a disease then perhaps we need to remove that disease... that's harsh and there's very few things that i'd say that about... i'm not a supporter of eugenics but man... it kills me inside.

Absinthe
09-26-2006, 09:41 AM
the bottom said it could be a felony if pressed for by the prosecuter. but it said when a person is injured. if you are stupid enough to race and someone gets hurt maybe you need some time in jail.

I am with you on this, if you choose to race on a street, and you hurt someone you should pay the price.

Chris in SD
09-26-2006, 12:59 PM
My only problem with it is that it's probably up to the officer's discretion whether he writes it as an exhibition of speed or not. It's like when some ass revved on the freeway with me (way before I had the Evo) in my S2K and I just looked at him and continued on my way. CHP pulled me over and said I was racing him... The only reason I didn't get a street racing ticket is because I told him if I was racing, my S2K would have destroyed the other guy's bucket. He agreed and wrote me for speeding instead. Gee, thanks... :roll:

Spaceman Spiff
10-09-2006, 09:19 AM
^I agree.

As much as I hate it when people street race, this law will make it harder for us to enjoy our cars.
How long before just owning a modified car is a felony?

Makes it a little difficult for those of us who enjoy cruising the canyons, dailying our cars, etc.

EVOL EDO
10-09-2006, 10:34 AM
^I agree.

As much as I hate it when people street race, this law will make it harder for us to enjoy our cars.
How long before just owning a modified car is a felony?

Makes it a little difficult for those of us who enjoy cruising the canyons, dailying our cars, etc.

again from what i read its not just driving fast or hard that will be taken into account. the signed law goes into effect if someone gets injured due to the drivers participating in the stupidity.

GokuSSJ4
10-10-2006, 08:05 AM
that also means they should stop giving out bullshit speed contest tickets and start citing and arresting with serious proof only. some cops have just been throwin' speed contest around like it's all gravy.
thank you!!!
theres a difference between regular speeding and speed contest which is what this section is referring to.
some one can be speeding just to get some where and not engaging in any "racing" activity. but most cops dont see it that way

hksevo8
10-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Why is this so hard to believe? I am so sick and tired of being asked to race down a public street by some pimply faced little fuck.....Hell I even have a few dumb ass older farts ask to race every now and again. There are race tracks out there for a reason....go and use them if you feel the need to drive recklesly.

I am glad to see this bill being signed and passed into law. Maybe now when we read in the papers that some 18 year old has wrapped himself around a pole in the M3 his parents should not have bought for him there will be a section written about how the guy he was racing is now going to jail......one less fucktard for me to deal with on the roads.....

In order not to be in the discretion of the cops eyes when he is writing the ticket....the best thing is not to be in the situation at all....this means do not launch your car from a traffic light. In my eyes, if anyone is pulled over for exibition of speed then you most likely were doing something wrong and the cop is not just pulling you over for you loud exhaust.

Be smart and more of a badass.....I love to the look on the face of people that ask me to race when I say no. Its more entertaining then beating them by a car length

nlakind
10-10-2006, 11:42 AM
I am glad to see this bill being signed and passed into law. Maybe now when we read in the papers that some 18 year old has wrapped himself around a pole in the M3 his parents should not have bought for him there will be a section written about how the guy he was racing is now going to jail......one less fucktard for me to deal with on the roads.....

If 2 people are racing & one of them crashes into a pole & die's it's not the other person's responsibility! Both people made the decision whether it's a good one or a bad one to race & the person who didn't crash should not be held liable for the other person's mistake! Honestly, that's like saying you should be held responsible if your brother robs a bank, it's ridiculous!!! I'm not saying I agree with illegal street racing nor do I condone it but I also think it's ridiculous to say someone should go to prison for doing it, like I said before, a lot more people die every year from obesity, should we make eating illegal for over weight people????

hksevo8
10-10-2006, 03:16 PM

If 2 people are racing & one of them crashes into a pole & die's it's not the other person's responsibility! Both people made the decision whether it's a good one or a bad one to race & the person who didn't crash should not be held liable for the other person's mistake! Honestly, that's like saying you should be held responsible if your brother robs a bank, it's ridiculous!!! I'm not saying I agree with illegal street racing nor do I condone it but I also think it's ridiculous to say someone should go to prison for doing it, like I said before, a lot more people die every year from obesity, should we make eating illegal for over weight people????

If your brothers is caught robbing a bank and you are there at the same time.....hell ya you should be arrested for it too.Â* What are thinking....?

The reason I posted in this topic is because as I read threw it, I felt compelled to get people to think clearer.Â* The only reason you should be worried about this law being passed is if you are a street racer.Â* If so I hope you get busted and thrown into jail......driving is not a god given right.....nor is it something you just obtain by turning a certain age.Â* You pass a test because of laws that are written to keep the general public safe......(except for those pesky fix it tickets for exhaust)Â* If you decide to play,Â* then you must pay...

nlakind
10-10-2006, 03:25 PM
^^^LoL, I'm not a street racer, & I see this law very clearly, it's a bullshit law & it give's the police all the power in the world to determine what a "street race" is...You say you hope I get "busted" since I'm oppossed to this law which is the most idiotic thing you've said yet, just because I'm oppossed to a law doesn't mean I break this law...I'm going to laugh when you get pulled over going 75mph on the freeway(& you're a liar if you say you never go 75mph) & there just happens to be some import car going about the same speed & you get pulled over & charged with a felony & are faced with prison time because from the police officer's perspective he believes you were racing!!!

boostin05evo
10-10-2006, 03:47 PM
^^^LoL, I'm not a street racer, & I see this law very clearly, it's a bullshit law & it give's the police all the power in the world to determine what a "street race" is...You say you hope I get "busted" since I'm oppossed to this law which is the most idiotic thing you've said yet, just because I'm oppossed to a law doesn't mean I break this law...I'm going to laugh when you get pulled over going 75mph on the freeway(& you're a liar if you say you never go 75mph) & there just happens to be some import car going about the same speed & you get pulled over & charged with a felony & are faced with prison time because from the police officer's perspective he believes you were racing!!!

could'nt agree with you more....i think this incedent happend already, I think it happend to THECLOSER on here.

thisxguy
10-10-2006, 03:52 PM

could'nt agree with you more

i would have to third that motion

hksevo8
10-10-2006, 04:14 PM
I highly doubt this law is going to be confused with speeding tickets......but oh well. You guys think to know just what is going to happen when it becomes law.....

Yes, i do drive 75 on the freeway, but so does everyone else.......I would find an officer hard pressed to say that I was street racing on the freeway doing 75 with traffic and not abruptly changing lanes. I am pretty sure you all have driven on the freeways and can tell when there are two drivers racing through traffic.

More to the point....I think this is going to be tailored more for use on side roads and not the freeway.....

If you have a guilty conscience oh well.

People are way to paranoid when it comes to the police......I have had my evo for over three years now and have not been profiled by any police for being a street racer....maybe that is because I am not one or it could do with the fact that I am 33 years old.

The only tickets I have recieved while driving my EVO are the ones that can be corrected.

evofosizzo
10-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Yes, i do drive 75 on the freeway, but so does everyone else.......I would find an officer hard pressed to say that I was street racing on the freeway doing 75 with traffic and not abruptly changing lanes.Â* Â*I am pretty sure you all have driven on the freeways and can tell when there are two drivers racing through traffic.
^I guess your wrong there. I have been pulled over following the flow of the traffic going at 74mph. And accused of having a *street racing gear? yeah, what the fuk is the correct thing to say here when i spot a 350z pass me by with duel ti-exhaust.Â* My evo is bone stock with a sony radio.

Was i switching through lanes? No.

hksevo8
10-10-2006, 05:37 PM
^^^^ so what your saying is you did not get a ticket for street racing/exhibition of speed?

hksevo8
10-10-2006, 05:39 PM
By the way.....I think this is pretty cut and dry.

Under the new law, prosecutors can seek increased penalties against drivers who engage in reckless driving or speed contests that injure another person. Drivers could be charged with a felony, sentenced to up to 6 months in state prison and fined up to $1,000 – a much stiffer penalty than the old misdemeanor law.

nlakind
10-10-2006, 05:48 PM
By the way.....I think this is pretty cut and dry.

You are right, extremely cut & dry but what I was initially saying was that hypothetically speaking let's say me & yourself are racing, we're doing 70mph on somewhere like Sepulveda & you lose control of your car, you crash into a pole & you are injured I don't feel that I should be held responsible, you're an adult like you said, you made the decision to race, you face the consequences on your own! If you decided to smoke crack because I was smoking crack & you died I'm sorry but that wouldn't be my fault either, you made the concious decision to smoke the crack or in this case race! It's on you, not me...now that was all hypothetical but you get what I mean...

You happen to be one of the very very few people I know who have not been profiled due to the simple fact that they drive an EVO & I'm sorry but not every single one of them was driving like an asshole, you hear cases of "EVO profiling" on here all the time...No matter what you say it does happen, maybe our solution should be to all move to the city you live in cuz apparently you have cool cops!!!

EVO Neil
10-10-2006, 06:09 PM
People are way to paranoid when it comes to the police......I have had my evo for over three years now and have not been profiled by any police for being a street racer....maybe that is because I am not one or it could do with the fact that I am 33 years old.

I am older than you and HAVE been profiled while driving my Evo. The officer couldn't see who was driving because it was at night on a dark section of road. This was while I was breaking in the car, so I wasn't doing anything that he should even have questioned. He saw an Evo and profiled the car, period. Profiling, it happens, call me a believer!

darkevo
10-10-2006, 06:25 PM

+++1

We already let violent criminals go early, and now we'll have to make room for horrible street racers?!! please the real problem is people need to learn how to drive better in the US!Â* Look at Europe!Â* We need to make the driving test harder and cut down on distracted drivers.

One of the reasons I live in America, is ococcasionallyet to speed!!Â* I think that's American!!Â* What else do they need to take away next?!Â* Arnold may be trying to improve his image after his motorcycle incident.Â* You race, you die, or total your car..it's your fault.Â* Don't blame the other driver!!Â* Â*>:(Â* Felony?!! pleaseÂ* so racing will be the same as murder!?!Â* sheesh

ryan78
10-10-2006, 06:37 PM
i agree with you hksevo8. i was once guilty and consequently a victim of street racing a few years back not by receiving a speeding ticket but by crashing my evo and having it repaired for 2 months. so i've learned my lesson and i think we can enjoy our evos just by driving it normally everyday out in the streets and for some of us who have the chance/time/money to bring the evo to a race track/sanctioned events to experience the full potential of our cars safely and without worries.

Miss Evo8
10-10-2006, 06:40 PM
People still street race? OMG that was so 6 years ago! :D

anyhow send the Ass Jacks to jail if they get caught...there are enough drag race places open now.....

hksevo8
10-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Two Words.....

common sense

nlakind
10-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Two Words.....

common sense

This is a debate that will never end, lol, I have my opinion & you have yours, I respect your opinion & no hard feeling's, take care bro & drive safely! O0

Granny Shifter
10-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Ah, street racing. I live not too far away from Ontario, notorious for it's street racing. It became a huge issue when stupid kids would bring down their mom's accords and pull off stupid things to show off to people. Personally, I think street racing is the epitome of stupidity. If you are trying to prove something, go to a drag strip or track event. Why put people at risk when you know deep down you are doing something stupid. I would classify it like drunk driving. It's utterly stupid and in the end you are gonna get screwed. Now as evo drivers, we have the right to be profiled. Lets face it, an evo is a import car with a big wing from the factory. The car is known to be quick. Our culture is also responsible for putting it here. Look at those Need for Speed videogames. All giving the evo a street racing image. Not to mention the Fast and the Furious movies.

hksevo8
10-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Two Words.....

common sense

This is a debate that will never end, lol, I have my opinion & you have yours, I respect your opinion & no hard feeling's, take care bro & drive safely! O0

yes you are very right. No hard feelings on this side of thr screen either.

Everyone drive safe.

GokuSSJ4
10-11-2006, 10:32 PM

If your brothers is caught robbing a bank and you are there at the same time.....hell ya you should be arrested for it too. What are thinking....?

The reason I posted in this topic is because as I read threw it, I felt compelled to get people to think clearer. The only reason you should be worried about this law being passed is if you are a street racer. If so I hope you get busted and thrown into jail......driving is not a god given right.....nor is it something you just obtain by turning a certain age. You pass a test because of laws that are written to keep the general public safe......(except for those pesky fix it tickets for exhaust) If you decide to play, then you must pay...
I'm sorry but i don't agree with you Rick..
there are many of us that have received a ticket for being profile, you sir have been lucky enough not to encounter any situation of this matter. But its people like you (or the way you think ) that have created for this bill to pass. The problem with this is that it gives the officer to much of an authority when it comes for him to determine who was racing and who wasn't. So many people have been pull over for speeding but to be ask "hey! were you racing against X brand of car" its ridiculous ... think about it, now they can accuse you of being involve with street racing and guess what? the consequences are not to be taken lightly..
this is an extremes bill and we all have had our shares of driving like a in responsible person, but IMO it doesn't call for a felony or have your car totaled...
Its sad to think that anyone on the board that happens to be a car enthusiastic will think this way. Even Neil which he is an older person has been pulled over for being profile for the type of car that he drives (an he gets to test cars for a living) so you can not say or argue that he was acting like a dumb ass. Racing has its place, i couldn't agree anymore but to have an extremist law its plainly BS....

desertRS
10-31-2006, 09:06 AM
well i paid 1500 and 40 of community service when i gotr mine 7 freakin years ago ohhh by the way "engaging in a speed contest" ticket is 2 points and 10 YEARS on ur driving record, dont ask me how i know

S2myEVO
11-15-2006, 04:34 PM
crazy absolutely crazy...i like racing occasionally but it really isnt worth it. u have nothin to gain but everything to lose. the way i see it.

x[corwyn]
11-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Amazing.

I'd like to see it be a felony for driving an SUV, farting around on the phone, while watching DVDs, and basically not paying attention on the road. THAT might remove a much larger accident percentage. I have been hit twice on my motorcycle by people that werent paying attention because they had to go for their cell phone.

x[corwyn]
11-15-2006, 05:11 PM
double post.