PDA

View Full Version : HKS SSQV BOV having problems

JDMevoracer
09-27-2006, 02:10 PM
I tried to get this thing to work but still getting some stalls and idling problems. Anyone have some ideas?

slow_evo
09-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Are you recirculating it?

Dagul
09-27-2006, 04:25 PM
I tried to get this thing to work but still getting some stalls and idling problems. Anyone have some ideas?

Go back to stock... Since you have a IX it came stock with the metal DV which will hold much better than the plastic ones that came on the VIII...

ey does anyone know if BOV is good for evos or not and if so what brand ? and where would be the best place to get them for a good deal ?

If you have the plastic POS, upgrade to a IX DV or JDM mr DV and you'll be fine... Just about every vender can get them for you at a reasonable price...

GravelMR
10-16-2006, 12:06 PM
I tried using the HKS SS BOV kit with piping and had the same issues. I just switched to the HKS Racing Type II BOV and had no problem with idling or stalling.

Blaze
10-16-2006, 01:28 PM
The HKS SS is a great valve. However, it simply has never worked effectively w/o issue on our MAF cars regardless of whether you VTA or recirc it.

If you're having idle issues on a 04 or early model, get used to it. (sorry) You can try tightening down the tensioner a bit more but the flashes on these really don't get along with this valve.

If you're running an 05 or newer, you can (again) tighten the tensioner, inspect the rest of the vacuum system for leaks, inspect the MAF pipe for any loos couplers and pull the valve apart to inspect the flange (assuming it becomes suspect).

Best of luck. I run this valve @ shows because it's JDM bling. I hate driving on it other then the sweet noise it makes. If I'm daily'ing the car, I my personal preference is the JDM OEM BOV.

-Blaze

06redMR
10-16-2006, 03:00 PM
what would happen if you took the recirc line off of the stock MR ? would it make the sound everybody likes to hear? or would it just start screwing everything up

Dagul
10-16-2006, 03:38 PM
what would happen if you took the recirc line off of the stock MR ? would it make the sound everybody likes to hear? or would it just start screwing everything up

VTA on any valve is going to cause your ecu to look for missing air that's already been metered by the MAF... Unless you're running a speed density or blow through MAF, it's going to cause problems as stated above, i.e. idle issues, stumbling between shifts and occasional stalling... That's why some people who are after the sound run a dual vent valve that recirculates some of the air and vents some to atmosphere...

Hiro
10-16-2006, 03:53 PM

VTA on any valve is going to cause your ecu to look for missing air that's already been metered by the MAF... Unless you're running a speed density or blow through MAF, it's going to cause problems as stated above, i.e. idle issues, stumbling between shifts and occasional stalling... That's why some people who are after the sound run a dual vent valve that recirculates some of the air and vents some to atmosphere...

That's exactly right.

The MAF registers x amount of air as you drive around and the ECU makes the appropriate fuel allowances for x.
When the BOV recircs everything is lovely. However, when it vents to the atmosphere, it reduces the value of x. The ECU, however is still expecting x and provides the same amount of fuel. This is what creates the rich condition, and causes the idling and stumbling issues Dagul mentioned above.

When you covert to a speed density system, you eliminate the MAF and (without going into detail on how that system works) you eliminate the problem.

On a side note, I don't advise you to use the HKS EIDS to correct for these issues. Not only was that unit originally designed to correct idle issues due to cams, but it can adversely affect the tune of your car if you use piggy back fuel controllers like the SAFC, Utech or similar as you'd then have 2 different corrective signals going to the ECU.

-Hiro

heingtaing
07-12-2008, 12:17 PM
jdm ix dv ftw

icachipmunk
07-12-2008, 12:44 PM
JDM 9 BOV O0 O0 O0 O0