PDA

View Full Version : e-braking...bad for awd?

khmerstyle
10-11-2006, 07:04 PM
i heard that using the ebrake is bad for awd. i usally use it when i get into a suprise stop or when someones cuts me off while they brake at the same time. when is it good to use it or is it good to use at all while the car is in motion??? thanks for the help

x[corwyn]
10-12-2006, 08:06 AM
i heard that using the ebrake is bad for awd. i usally use it when i get into a suprise stop or when someones cuts me off while they brake at the same time. when is it good to use it or is it good to use at all while the car is in motion??? thanks for the help

Why would you use the e-brake for normal stopping?! You know the rear brakes ARE being used already, and you are inducing skid which is NOT desirable for fast stopping.

[p]dOG.
10-12-2006, 08:19 AM
There is no need to use your e-brake if your brakes work. Unless you lose your brakes and then you use your "EMERGENCY" brakes.

silvery_eagle
10-12-2006, 09:58 AM
weird... i can step on my brakes much faster than reaching my hands to the e-brake and pull it

Unstroked
10-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but "E" brake is short for "EMERGENCY" brake, right???? Not "EVERYTIME YOU NEED TO STOP LEVER"!!!!! LOL.....

Miss Evo8
10-12-2006, 10:31 AM
E brake is there for when you have Corollas as a rental car and its a lame automatic...thus when you turn corners you use it to induce slide..making your rental experience a little more exciting in a rather lame boring car! O0

[p]dOG.
10-12-2006, 10:36 AM
^^ thinking about it I read that on an Enterprise rental brochure a few years back. But they recommend you do that in an empty parking lot with Burger King food plates under the back wheelz on FWD vehicles.

Miss Evo8
10-12-2006, 10:38 AM
dOG. ]
^^ thinking about it I read that on an Enterprise rental brochure a few years back.Â* But they recommend you do that in an empty parking lot with Burger King food plates under the back wheelz on FWD vehicles.

hahaha a had a rental Corolla like 2 years ago for about a month..when I returned it the tires where completely bald in the back! :D

[p]dOG.
10-12-2006, 10:45 AM
dOG. ]
^^ thinking about it I read that on an Enterprise rental brochure a few years back. But they recommend you do that in an empty parking lot with Burger King food plates under the back wheelz on FWD vehicles.

hahaha a had a rental Corolla like 2 years ago for about a month..when I returned it the tires where completely bald in the back! :D

wow you killed the back!? use the plastic trays it's really fun =)

Miss Evo8
10-12-2006, 10:48 AM
It was a rental this is how I did it.... if you carry enough speed through the corners and pull on the ebrake it gets the rear to slide in a FWD... I used to do it all the time in my Civic too...the rear brakes and tires wear out pretty fast but if you keep your thumb depressed on the ebrake and mess with the gas you can easily control the car and the rentals usually have cheap ass tires on anyways so Voila! instant wanabe drifting!

[p]dOG.
10-12-2006, 10:50 AM
alright... not really used to FWD cars so I ghetto rigged it lol. Now my 5.8 liter mustang thats a different story ahaha

10-15-2006, 02:21 AM
lol +1 for the tray drifting. I used to that back in the day with my old Altima.

leaveit2bevo
10-15-2006, 02:12 PM
its bad for 03-04 evos with a viscous diff but on 05+ evo the acd "disconnects" and its suppost to be ok.

909evoate909
10-15-2006, 04:48 PM
dOG. ]

dOG. ]

wow you killed the back!? use the plastic trays it's really fun =)

hahaha..... i dont think my body has ever spun that fast in my life.... FuN tho!

MRchnk
11-13-2006, 10:45 PM
E brake is there for when you have Corollas as a rental car and its a lame automatic...thus when you turn corners you use it to induce slide..making your rental experience a little more exciting in a rather lame boring car! O0

i support your idea all the way

nlakind
11-13-2006, 10:48 PM
I HAVE A FORD FOCUS RENTAL RITE NOW...THE "E" BRAKE IS NECESSARY AT ALL TIMES!!! HAHA...

BUT I WOULD SUGGEST JUST USING YOUR FOOT WITH THE EVO UNLESS YOU'RE IN A TRUE EMERGENCY...HENCE THE NAME "E" BRAKE FOR EMERGENCY AS IN YOUR BRAKES DO NOT WORK...

blkside
11-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Just dont do it... no need and you are gonna fuck something up... and yeah the tray drift back in the day... guys out here wait until it rains hard and go drifting in the Office depot parkinglot....lol

givem3youraids
11-13-2006, 11:22 PM
I HAVE A FORD FOCUS RENTAL RITE NOW...THE "E" BRAKE IS NECESSARY AT ALL TIMES!!! HAHA...

BUT I WOULD SUGGEST JUST USING YOUR FOOT WITH THE EVO UNLESS YOU'RE IN A TRUE EMERGENCY...HENCE THE NAME "E" BRAKE FOR EMERGENCY AS IN YOUR BRAKES DO NOT WORK...

I HAD A FOCUS for about a month biggest pile of crap. then i had a chevy hhr for 2 months after that. finally i have the evo back but i had fun in the rentals

VladEVO
11-15-2006, 09:12 AM
I have seen WRC drivers using the e-brake mostly on gravel/dirt courses. It is rare but they were using the e-brake on hairpins during tarmac events.

darkside
11-20-2006, 09:16 PM
just dont do it

aniki
12-04-2006, 11:24 PM
the rear ebrake is a drum style inside the rotor... and the shoes are pretty small so if you do that they will wear out pretty quickly and your ebrake wont work too well... that might get expensive to keep replacing those shoes i dunno?

evilrs
12-04-2006, 11:31 PM
I love to beat on rentals. I once was able to jump a camry about 20 feet over some railroad tracks in milpitas.

Sam Smash
12-07-2006, 03:18 AM
Since we are all totally off topic, I thought I would add my professional opinion.

I'm Lowered

ernald711
12-15-2006, 08:34 PM
^LOL.

e braking is bad for your ACD, not my vcu!!!!

aniki
12-16-2006, 12:05 AM
hey ernald711 u have the same cars as me =D you must be cool

Terry S
12-19-2006, 02:07 PM
^LOL.

e braking is bad for your ACD, not my vcu!!!!

Ebraking is bad for your VCU, not our ACD... We disconnect, you dont! :D

Terry S

Mister Evo
01-18-2007, 11:41 PM
I heard a story from a 2G owner that some "intelligent" guy in his Evo8 pulled the e-brake going 90mph trying to make a right turn... we started talking about it because I saw the aftermath on my way home. It had rolled into the side of a hill. For those that mentioned the rental cars, a friend of mine had a bad experience in his rented Corolla so to vent he went ahead and discovered what shifting from D to R at speed would do.

Saint
12-24-2007, 12:08 PM
I heard a story from a 2G owner that some "intelligent" guy in his Evo8 pulled the e-brake going 90mph trying to make a right turn... we started talking about it because I saw the aftermath on my way home. It had rolled into the side of a hill. For those that mentioned the rental cars, a friend of mine had a bad experience in his rented Corolla so to vent he went ahead and discovered what shifting from D to R at speed would do.

It would do absolutely nothing. All modern automatic cars are equipped with a lock preventing it from going from D to R while traveling in motion.

SoCalRedLine
12-24-2007, 12:25 PM
only time i use the e-brake is when:
there is a cop and i need to slow down without being obvious (no brake lights)

otherwise, ive never used it on tarmac, only dirt. iirc, there is something in the ACD controller that unlocks the ACD with a steering input or with e-brake input...

and +100000000000000000000000 on the FWD rental car dryft... i have had to replace my fair share of bent rental rims...Pick-ur-part FTMFW! $5 replacement steelies...

JDMC-WestEVO
12-24-2007, 12:32 PM
my buddy had a mazda 6 rental one time we e brake slid that so much it had flat spots on the tires so we rotated them in my garage and did a fat burn out to reround them haha kinda worked but we had fun.