PDA

View Full Version : Randy Pobst to Race the Muellerized Evo at Laguna Seca!

Muellerized...
10-23-2006, 02:09 PM
2003 World Challenge GT Champion Randy Pobst will race the Muellerized Evo this weekend Oct 27-29 at Laguna Seca. http://www.randypobst.com/index.cfm?template=biography&form_years=6

Fresh from his GT class win at Laguna this past weekend, Randy will add his expertise to our team, in our quest for knowledge in getting the most performance out of our Evo. He is entered in the Super Production class, where Kent Jordan has already clinched the 2006 season championship, and also the 4 hour Illgen Enduro, where he will share the Muellerized Evo with teammates Kent Jordan and John Mueller.

Our team is racheting our program up to the next level with our relationship with Randy, and we stand to learn a lot from the Motec data and video from these track sessions. More to follow.

ryan0
10-23-2006, 02:57 PM
niiiiice.

evobeaner
10-23-2006, 10:13 PM
my guess is he will help you guy's out immensely.
especially in the speed dept as well as tech info. he might just take a few seconds off your best laguna times.

ryan0
10-24-2006, 07:38 AM
he might just take a few seconds off your best laguna times.

i think the over/under is near 3.5

kmEVO818
10-24-2006, 07:43 AM
Can't wait for the vidz to be posted!

John, can you post a link of this weekend's schedule?

ryan0
10-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Can't wait for the vidz to be posted!

John, can you post a link of this weekend's schedule?

http://www.sfrscca.org/Calendar/Schedule/06Oct27LagunaEnduro.pdf

Muellerized...
10-29-2006, 12:47 AM
In qualifying for the season ending ITE race, it was an all Muellerized front row, Kent in our Evo over Pobst in our M3. Today's race saw Kent take a 36 second victory over Pobst, while the usual suspects faded with a variety of problems.

We prepped the Evo for Sunday's 4 hour race late into the night, performing our normal between race weekend prep trackside. This weekend has been a total team effort, with Joshua West, Chris Keller, Nam Tran, Scot Gray, Matt Oursbourn, Pete Keller, Clarence Gray, Randy Pobst, Kent Jordan and my mother Lola all working together at an ultra efficient level bringing our team its 24th ITE win over the past 2 seasons, and our first 1-2 finish in Muellerized Inc's history. 2006 has shown our team its share of challenges, but we have finished the year the season points champions in 2 different classes in the same Evo, pics/video to follow.

We have an 8:15am driver's meeting Sunday, with the 4 hour enduro starting at 11:30, should make for an interesting day in the sun at Laguna.

Skiracer
10-29-2006, 12:56 AM
what kind of data acquisition you using the Motec for? or is that a scret? :)

Muellerized...
10-29-2006, 01:02 AM
We use the ADL dash/logger with the Interpeter software.

Barfly
10-29-2006, 01:09 AM
What kind of laptimes was Randy able to rip off in the EVO? There was a mention on Rennlist that there may have been misfire issues.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=307798

Good luck in the Enduro. O0

Muellerized...
10-29-2006, 01:23 AM
1:34.2 on Toyo RA-1s, which matches Kents ITE race record set on Hoosier R6s.

Senshi
10-29-2006, 03:02 AM
wow this is all very exciting stuff sounds like a lot of fun. Hope you guys have a great race and i can't wait for the videos and pics.
Good Luck O0

ArBizZzLe
10-29-2006, 03:44 AM
Wow! Can't wait! Goodluck!

Blak94GSX
10-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Car is running pretty good. Had some spark plug misfire problems on Friday, but those were cleared up. Have been tweaking on everything a bit as usual to optimize the setup over the weekend.

Kent won the ITE race on Saturday in the EVO, with Randy driving the BMW M3 and placing 2nd. This gives Kent the championship for the season in ITE, AND the championship in Super Production for the season. Randy was driving the BMW in the race to give some feedback on the setup of the BMW, and of course to have fun...

Richard EVO
10-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Kent beat Randy???Â* Or was Randy just acting as a shill? Lol

hagakure
10-29-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm sure Randy was not acting as a schill Richard:)....
Kent should beat Pobst Evo vs. M3. the Evo is a much faster car, easier to drive, and Kent knows the track very very well now.....I'd be surprised if Kent did not beat Pobst in this situation....I'm curious as to how much of a whuppin the Muellerized team puts on the competition in the Enduro. They will win if they don't break.

Richard EVO
10-29-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm just saying that Randy was the 2003 World Speed Challenge GT Champion, which is a level just a little above SCCA Club Racing, don't you think?Â* SCCA thinks enough of Randy to give him a regular column in Sports Car Magazine ("Pobst Position"), in which he gives driving tips to other racers.

Don't get me wrong, Kent has become a great driver in a very short 2 years since he first got a racing license, and he has one of the fastest (or perhapse THEEE FASTEST) racing EVO in the USA.Â* But with Randy on the team "testing the M3 setup and just having fun" (read: not driving at 10 tenths) there is an opportunity for him to block other drivers for Kent, isn't there?Â* Not that Kent needs the help in ITE, in which he has won like every race in NorCal for the last 2 years, and he got enough points in SP to win that class too.

I'd like to see Kent move up to a higher profile, more professional rank of racing, and he has the $$$ to afford it.

Congrats to the team on the big class wins and adding Randy!Â* We want to see you racing on TV.

hagakure
10-29-2006, 02:31 PM
It's the fastest racing Evo in the US...no doubt.
It hink John and Kent are doing it right, enlisting the right help...moving it forward. I'm sure it won't be long before we "see them on tv"...it just might not be in an Evo. Continued good luck to them.

JOOTZ
10-29-2006, 03:16 PM
good job guys

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/9537/criticgoodyw6.gifhttp://img111.imageshack.us/img111/9537/criticgoodyw6.gif
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/9537/criticgoodyw6.gifhttp://img111.imageshack.us/img111/9537/criticgoodyw6.gif

trinydex
10-29-2006, 03:45 PM
who says they have the m3 all sorted out already?

blkside
10-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Well I hope you guys are handing them there Arse's. Its a couple hours ahead here so you should still be burning up the track. Glad to see the 1-2. Keep up the good work.

leaveit2bevo
10-29-2006, 03:55 PM
first and second shake and bake!

Barfly
10-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Mark Kibort posted some in-car footage of him trying to keep up with Randy and Kent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRG6Y791iBE

How did the enduro go?

Skiracer
10-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Awesome! I only saw Kent's car for like 1 minute and he dissapeared.

Muellerized...
10-30-2006, 09:00 PM
How did the enduro go?

Short version, just got to my desk after driving south from Laguna today.
Started 56th, knowing we had a huge mileage problem to overcome, and a strong GT3 cup Porsche on slicks to compete against starting 1st which also had no issues with making it on fuel with just the 2 mandatory pit stops. Our Evo configuration was Toyo RA-1s, harder compound brake pads, 1.1 bar boost, leaned way the hell out. By the end of the second hour, we were leading overall, even ahead of all of the sports racing cars as well. We overcame our poor mileage with bold strategy moves in the pits, and the race was coming towards us the closer we got to the end, but 2 errors and subsequent penalty during the same pit stop sequence cost us dearly and shuffled us back in the field. Having to make another stop put us ahead on mileage so I put Kent in the car and cranked up the boost to 1.75 bar as we could not make the finish on just one more stop from where we were and Kent made up a lot of track position on course, and he followed my instructions to drive the wheels off of the car perfectly, but after the 3rd hour ended we started misfiring due to the spark plug gap opening up after that much running, so we turned the boost down for the last stint, and I drove what was left of the Evo to a 6th overall finish, 3rd in class. Who says Evo's are fragile, as we ran almost 7 hours of track time with 3 different drivers and I just drove it in the shop still running perfectly.

Barfly
10-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Congrats on what sounds like a true EVO flogging. O0

Blak94GSX
10-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah it was an amazing weekend.

Muellerized Win and 2nd place in the ITE race on Saturday with Randy Pobst taking 2nd in the BMW and Kent taking the overall win in the EVO.

Kent clinching the ITE championship for the season, making it a back-back championship since he won it last year too.

Randy Pobst, Kent Jordan, and John Mueller taking turns driving the EVO in the 4 hour enduro on Sunday, and the car ran great all weekend!

Not a bad way to spend the weekend...

Richard EVO
10-30-2006, 10:33 PM
John -

Nice work in the enduro. Now that's racing. Stressing the car hour after hour. Spark plugs are the EVO's Achilles heel, eh?

Congrats on a great season ending weekend. Your team should be proud. Now how about running the 25 hours of T-hill?

hagakure
10-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Good Job guys.

mkibort
10-31-2006, 12:16 AM
Randy ran a 1:38.3 in the race, while i ran a 1:39.2 with a heck of a pushing car.
If you dont think Randy has any other speed but WOT, you better think again. do you know the fastest that car has run? At laguna this year, the bmws ran 1:38.8 as a fastest lap, and thats with unknown drivers like Boris Said, and new pros such as Anders Hainer! (running slightly extra weight and the GAC hoosiers) My 928 was on very used toyos and of course, you know about my car..... bone stock except for a set of headers! (oh, and 20 years old engine never been apart!) The BMW was running the same HP as i was. in fact, the bmw is rated at 333hp while the 928 is rated at 312.

I think kent has done a great job. sure, Randy could knock down a faster lap time, if the car was dialed in to his liking and he had a reason to really push it. how much faster? i dont know, 1-2 seconds. Keep in mind, Kent has only been driving 2 years seriously. in a few more, the gap narrows and then the real difference becomes on track decision making. Thats the value off the pros driving your car. keep the equip safe, good decision making, and ability to drive fast in all sorts of conditions through any type of traffic.

MK

Mk

I'm just saying that Randy was the 2003 World Speed Challenge GT Champion, which is a level just a little above SCCA Club Racing, don't you think? SCCA thinks enough of Randy to give him a regular column in Sports Car Magazine ("Pobst Position"), in which he gives driving tips to other racers.

Don't get me wrong, Kent has become a great driver in a very short 2 years since he first got a racing license, and he has one of the fastest (or perhapse THEEE FASTEST) racing EVO in the USA. But with Randy on the team "testing the M3 setup and just having fun" (read: not driving at 10 tenths) there is an opportunity for him to block other drivers for Kent, isn't there? Not that Kent needs the help in ITE, in which he has won like every race in NorCal for the last 2 years, and he got enough points in SP to win that class too.

I'd like to see Kent move up to a higher profile, more professional rank of racing, and he has the $$$ to afford it.

Congrats to the team on the big class wins and adding Randy! We want to see you racing on TV.

I'm just saying that Randy was the 2003 World Speed Challenge GT Champion, which is a level just a little above SCCA Club Racing, don't you think? SCCA thinks enough of Randy to give him a regular column in Sports Car Magazine ("Pobst Position"), in which he gives driving tips to other racers.

Don't get me wrong, Kent has become a great driver in a very short 2 years since he first got a racing license, and he has one of the fastest (or perhapse THEEE FASTEST) racing EVO in the USA. But with Randy on the team "testing the M3 setup and just having fun" (read: not driving at 10 tenths) there is an opportunity for him to block other drivers for Kent, isn't there? Not that Kent needs the help in ITE, in which he has won like every race in NorCal for the last 2 years, and he got enough points in SP to win that class too.

Congrats to the team on the big class wins and adding Randy! We want to see you racing on TV.

Barfly
10-31-2006, 12:23 AM
Randy ran a 1:38.3 in the race, while i ran a 1:39.2 with a heck of a pushing car.
If you dont think Randy has any other speed but WOT, you better think again. do you know the fastest that car has run? At laguna this year, the bmws ran 1:38.8 as a fastest lap, and thats with unknown drivers like Boris Said, and new pros such as Anders Hainer! (running slightly extra weight and the GAC hoosiers) My 928 was on very used toyos and of course, you know about my car..... bone stock except for a set of headers! (oh, and 20 years old engine never been apart!) The BMW was running the same HP as i was. in fact, the bmw is rated at 333hp while the 928 is rated at 312.

Mk

I still find it impressive that you have driven your 928 to 75 races and back home, and you have never had a DNF!

earlyapex
10-31-2006, 01:23 AM
mkibort,

Do you have more info on your car? It sounds great in the vid!

Mister
10-31-2006, 02:35 AM

I think kent has done a great job. sure, Randy could knock down a faster lap time, if the car was dialed in to his liking and he had a reason to really push it. how much faster? i dont know, 1-2 seconds. Keep in mind, Kent has only been driving 2 years seriously. in a few more, the gap narrows and then the real difference becomes on track decision making. Thats the value off the pros driving your car. keep the equip safe, good decision making, and ability to drive fast in all sorts of conditions through any type of traffic.

MK

Your 928 looks very impressive, especially considering its 20 years old! Gotta love Porsche's!
You mentioned "unknown drivers" like Boris Said. Were you just being sarcastic?

Muellerized...
10-31-2006, 10:56 AM

Muellerized Win and 2nd place in the ITE race on Saturday with Randy Pobst taking 2nd in the BMW and Kent taking the overall win in the EVO.

Forgot to mention, my pair of team cars lapped the field in the ITE race, with Kent finishing 36.2 seconds over Randy. The only team orders were for Pobst to not hit Jordan, ever, and drive the BMW at qualifying lap speed the entire 30 minute race, and to pass and beat Kent if possible. That race is the first race distance the M3 has ever run for us without issue.

Blak94GSX
10-31-2006, 11:47 AM
More pictures from the 4 hour enduro are here:

http://www3.jsbc.cc/gallery2/v/Car-Stuff/Track_Days/SCCA_Enduro_2006_10_30/

slider
10-31-2006, 07:27 PM

Kent clinching the ITE championship for the season, making it a back-back championship since he won it last year too.

Randy Pobst, Kent Jordan, and John Mueller taking turns driving the EVO in the 4 hour enduro on Sunday, and the car ran great all weekend!

Not a bad way to spend the weekend...

No doubt a great weekend for all of us. Thanks Scot!

nj1266
11-01-2006, 08:19 PM

MK

Mike,

I have the utmost respect for people like you. I love and cheer for underdogs like you. It really takes a lot of guts to show up on the track for almost every race knowing that you have little to no chance of winning against the overkill Meullerized Evo. Everytime I look at the competition that the EVO has I feel proud of you guys.

I have had the same experience you have during this season. I am in a class (RS) where there is this overkill 240sx with 208 whp and a weight of about 2500 lbs. My SE-R puts down 150-155 hp with similar weight to the 240sx. I lost every race to this car but I kept at it. This past weekend was the season finale. On Sunday I kept after him and pushed him so hard in the corners until he finally made a mistake and went off the track. I won my only race this season and it felt real good.

slider
11-02-2006, 07:21 AM

MK

Mike,

I have the utmost respect for people like you. I love and cheer for underdogs like you. It really takes a lot of guts to show up on the track for almost every race knowing that you have little to no chance of winning against the overkill Meullerized Evo. Everytime I look at the competition that the EVO has I feel proud of you guys.

I have had the same experience you have during this season. I am in a class (RS) where there is this overkill 240sx with 208 whp and a weight of about 2500 lbs. My SE-R puts down 150-155 hp with similar weight to the 240sx. I lost every race to this car but I kept at it. This past weekend was the season finale. On Sunday I kept after him and pushed him so hard in the corners until he finally made a mistake and went off the track. I won my only race this season and it felt real good.

It's too funny that even in giving him praise you don't get his name right Naji. His name is Mark not Mike silly boy! Now don't feel too sorry for Mark. Two months ago after we got punted in our SP race and were forced to withdraw our entry in ITE Mark ended up with his first win in two seasons, Waiting for two years to earn his checkered flag didn't prevent him from pulling over during his vistory lap and handing it to a corner worker. What had me laughing last weekend was opening up the latest edition of MOTORacing magazine to find that even they had misspelled his name in their headlines proclaiming his long due victory by calling him KORBIT and not Kibort.

Could be worse though. On some boards he's known as Kibortion!

Oh, and why is our Evo now "overkill"?

nj1266
11-02-2006, 05:22 PM
It's too funny that even in giving him praise you don't get his name right Naji. His name is Mark not Mike silly boy! Now don't feel too sorry for Mark. Two months ago after we got punted in our SP race and were forced to withdraw our entry in ITE Mark ended up with his first win in two seasons, Waiting for two years to earn his checkered flag didn't prevent him from pulling over during his vistory lap and handing it to a corner worker. What had me laughing last weekend was opening up the latest edition of MOTORacing magazine to find that even they had misspelled his name in their headlines proclaiming his long due victory by calling him KORBIT and not Kibort.

What's in a name? :angel: I always get names wrong. I even got John's name wrong in the video that I edited when we raced in RS @ the begining of the season.

Slider, you know that your car is overkill in ITE. Who is the competition? A 20 year old porsche that is driven to and from the track and has a header as the only mod. A decade old Mazda RX7. These cars are really no competition to you. When you end up lapping the field that means you have no competition.

Congratulations on winning the champsionship and if you stay in ITE next year you will win it again. So congratulations in advance ;)

Blak94GSX
11-02-2006, 05:26 PM
All the Vipers that were talking smack on here the last time Kent beat them in ITE thought they were competition...

Muellerized...
11-02-2006, 05:53 PM
These cars are really no competition to you. When you end up lapping the field that means you have no competition.

Yep, you sure are right, as the 3 Vipers that we beat at Laguna the 1st of October just drove around slowly enough to let us win.Â* ;) Have you ever attended a San Francisco Region SCCA race?

It is our responsibilty as competitors to do everything within the rules of both classes we competed in this year to win, if people choose to do less and they get their ass kicked so be it. For example, even though we could run slick tires in Super Production we chose to run our 'normal' DOT tire set-up, and never complained one bit, as what components we ran was entirely our choice, and we did what was needed to win both class championships with the same Evo.

nj1266
11-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Yep, you sure are right, as the 3 Vipers that we beat at Laguna the 1st of October just drove around slowly enough to let us win.Â* ;) Have you ever attended a San Francisco Region SCCA race?

It is our responsibilty as competitors to do everything within the rules of both classes we competed in this year to win, if people choose to do less and they get their ass kicked so be it. For example, even though we could run slick tires in Super Production we chose to run our 'normal' DOT tire set-up, and never complained one bit, as what components we ran was entirely our choice, and we did what was needed to win both class championships with the same Evo.

Once in a blue moon you get competition, but the REGULARS like Mark and Rylan are really no competition to you. I really do not have to attend an SFR race to know. I simply check the MyLaps website. It tells me all I have to know. I also look at championship points and those tell me all I have to know. Both of these tell me that you have no competition in ITE.

In the last race, for example, the third place car was an 87 porsche (Yikes!!!). This car was 5.83 mph per lap slower than the Evo and 7 seconds per lap slower than the EVO. That is not competition that is a slaughter!!!

mkibort
11-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Kents never lapped me!!Â* Â*but, yes, it is a stout car, no doubt. when the vipers showed up, there was good competition. Kent's experience at laguna was pretty good over the last 2 years vs these guys being newbies. Hey, no excuses, these guys had a shot and didnt capitalize. Manny was probaby the biggest competition, clearly having more power, but a fan belt killed his shots during the 3rd race last month.

Kents around 4 seconds faster than me right now in my mostly stock 928 on used tires, 1:34/5 vs 1:39.0 and still driven to the track.Â* the only time the evo was competition was his first event last year, and when the turbo bypass valve stuck at 300hp vs 500hp normally.Â* Â*(or when it fails to start)
our races are pretty intense. in fact, ive also asked for the evo to be numb'ed down to our performance, but their goals are truely not to beat little ole me, but to develope the driver and car.Â* Â*personally, i think the car is pretty developed right now and so is Kent, but think that Kent would have developed even faster if he didnt have 550hp to romp on to get out of trouble.Â* Â* our races can have 4 different cars take the lead.Â* In his current mode of racing, he has very little battle time.Â* Â* If Kent wants to take out the BMW and go head to head with us, i think he will have more fun that he can stand.Â* racing, racing strategy, trade offs, etc are all very valuable abilities as a driver and that probably will be the next step for kent.Â* However, personally, i think its a little backward, but im sure, driving a real fast car is a rush and in itself teaches some pretty important skill sets in itself.

If you look at mylaps, randy pobst was driving the Grand Am cup GS bmw (near 325+rwhp) vs my 315rwhp 20 year old 928, on used tires, with little tuning over 5 years, to a time .5 to 1.4 seconds a lap faster. (.5 or less at the race) Im sure, if kent drove this car, he would be slightly slower, and that would mean, he would have a RACE!!
when cars are .5 second apart, there is a race. when they are 1 second apart, its no race.

mk

What's in a name? :angel: I always get names wrong. I even got John's name wrong in the video that I edited when we raced in RS @ the begining of the season.

Slider, you know that your car is overkill in ITE. Who is the competition? A 20 year old porsche that is driven to and from the track and has a header as the only mod. A decade old Mazda RX7. These cars are really no competition to you. When you end up lapping the field that means you have no competition.

Congratulations on winning the champsionship and if you stay in ITE next year you will win it again. So congratulations in advance ;)

mkibort
11-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Hey, when are you ( Evo folks) going to post the rear view camera footage? too bad we didnt have the hp to keep up. that would be really cool!

mk

Blak94GSX
11-03-2006, 03:02 PM
It wasn't very exciting. There was action for a few seconds at the start but then 25 minutes of open track behind him with the occasional car being lapped.

mkibort
11-03-2006, 03:26 PM
probably right. Just saw my incar. after the start, kent just checked out!

MK

Muellerized...
11-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Hey, when are you ( Evo folks) going to post the rear view camera footage? too bad we didnt have the hp to keep up. that would be really cool!

mk

I have been listening to you whine about horsepower for 2 seasons now, but your car understeers worse than the shopping carts at costco.

mkibort
11-03-2006, 03:34 PM
a 1986 porsche 928 with the stock engine as it came from the factory 20 years ago, never been apart. 75 race days Â* (7 World challenge GT starts and finishes)and still running strong (315rwhp)
a set of headers and a street sport Koni/hypercoil suspension, big wheels and tires and all the usual safety equip. (ie cage, seat, belts, firesystem, killswitch, etc)

stock clutch, transmission, ECU,all stock, except for some holes in the air box.

Kind of a miricle car when you think that its been through 2 back to back 24hrs of lemans equiv. with only oil, brake and tire changes!

mk

mkibort,

mkibort
11-03-2006, 03:35 PM
well, if i had the hp, i wouldnt need to overdrive the turns! Hehehe.

now, i have to build a splitter, or put the stock little wing-ette back on.

Amazing, wings do work!!Â* (sometimes the in the wrong way!)

MK

mk

I have been listening to you whine about horsepower for 2 seasons now, but your car understeers worse than the shopping carts at costco.

nj1266
11-03-2006, 05:10 PM

mk

Way to beat on the little guy, John. I am willing to bet that if you put Mark and you or your ace driver in the same car and race on the track, Mark will beat both of you hands down.

At some point beating up on those who cannot compete with you works against you and not for you. I think you have exceeded that point. I hope you move to World Challenege so you can get a taste of your own medicine.

speedform
11-03-2006, 05:39 PM
a 1986 porsche 928 with the stock engine as it came from the factory 20 years ago, never been apart. 75 race days (7 World challenge GT starts and finishes)and still running strong (315rwhp)
a set of headers and a street sport Koni/hypercoil suspension, big wheels and tires and all the usual safety equip. (ie cage, seat, belts, firesystem, killswitch, etc)

stock clutch, transmission, ECU,all stock, except for some holes in the air box.

Kind of a miricle car when you think that its been through 2 back to back 24hrs of lemans equiv. with only oil, brake and tire changes!

mk

mkibort,

Still can't believe you've run it that long and that hard for so long without any major engine work. Very impressive. And I thought 928 were money pits. ;)
Good job out there!

Muellerized...
11-03-2006, 05:45 PM
a 1986 porsche 928 with the stock engine as it came from the factory 20 years ago, never been apart.
Ahhh yes, the stock engine that Porsche built for it to set a new land speed record at Bonneville. It seems you quote 400hp in this article...
http://www.928registry.org/1987-928S4-Mark-Kibort-Excellence-10-2004.htm

I guess you forgot pulling the cams out of that motor last year, but the reality makes for a less sensational story.

mkibort
11-03-2006, 06:52 PM
I had to exchange the cams that went in the previous year model 928 (ie 1985). As we talked about, they were sheding teath since one of the my World challenge GT races in 2002. I ran it "toothless" (actually missing up to 3 teeth) until the end of last year, when i noticed more in the oil pan, so i did the cam exchange to the older cams. This also proved the engine was more stock than not because it then dynoed the same as well. We also know the ECU is stock (both fuel and brains) as when i bought the car, it didnt run until they were both changed for stock with a used wiring harness. No oil coolers, transmission coolers, stock brakes (like the kind you guys were using about when I had my only real win against Kent at his first real Laguna race with the lower HP) , stock radiator, stock stock stock.

The only think we dont know is what they did to the heads or if they did something special with the engine internals for better oiling. However, 300-320rwhp is not that unusual with stock 928s with headers in this year or slightly newer. I had 335rwhp after my first dyno run, which is where the 400hp number comes from. Now, over the last 4 years its been near 320.
I dont think they did much special. heck, it was thrown together at the porsche factory for the Land Speed Record. they even converted an automatic chassis to be a stick for this project, using an 1986 chassis. the engine was #0004. so, it was one of the first engines made, and usually not until #25 to they make it into production cars.

That article is the story of the car. pretty interesting. especially, now it was driven by Al Holbert and Hit (tapped )in a pro race by Derek Bell. ( touched by two 4 time Lemans winners!) now with its 75 race days under its belt, its still an amazing piece of machinery.

Mk

a 1986 porsche 928 with the stock engine as it came from the factory 20 years ago, never been apart.
Ahhh yes, the stock engine that Porsche built for it to set a new land speed record at Bonneville. It seems you quote 400hp in this article...
http://www.928registry.org/1987-928S4-Mark-Kibort-Excellence-10-2004.htm

I guess you forgot pulling the cams out of that motor last year, but the reality makes for a less sensational story.

mkibort
11-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks! Hey, but you have to hand it to Kent and Muellized to make a production based car go so fast. they did some pretty wild mods to it, (wider, big turbo, stoker, motec, etc) but its still can compete with the totally re-manufactured race cars of World Challenge GT! they are putting down a min of 475rwhp for the heavier cars. They (top 10 speedGT guys) would beat Kent by as much as kent beat me!! However, he could have had his way with the top 15 to 20 guys i bet. Hats off to kent and the team for runnng 1:34 old track to 1:36 (old track)at laguna!

I offered to drive with them in an enduro as we have become good friends at the track, but they would rather pay the big buck pro who runs the same times as Kent!! :) (actually, Randy Pobst is one of the best, and i think his feedback, rather than lap times was the main objective for them teaming up with him last weekend, since he has driven most everything in his most successful career!)

Mk

Hey, when are you ( Evo folks) going to post the rear view camera footage? too bad we didn't have the hp to keep up. that would be really cool!

mk

Way to beat on the little guy, John. I am willing to bet that if you put Mark and you or your ace driver in the same car and race on the track, Mark will beat both of you hands down.

At some point beating up on those who cannot compete with you works against you and not for you. I think you have exceeded that point. I hope you move to World Challenge so you can get a taste of your own medicine.

hagakure
11-03-2006, 11:25 PM
So much of the complaining about what the Muellerized team has accomplished sounds a bit like sour grapes from the competitors or would be competitors. Not pointing the finger at you, MK...you seem to actually have a pretty light-hearted attitude about your weekly ass whupins:)....and you are obviously a really competent driver. Nothing about motorsport is "fair"...and even when the playing field seems level, it often is not. Look at spec miata. The winning guys at the national level put assloads of cash into their cars, have super freak engine builders and suspension tuners, etc...but that's part of the game of winning, you do everything you have to. It does not matter if it's racing cars, mountain bikes, etc.... the principal is the same. I think all of us are itching to see what John, Kent and team will do at the next level, and the most important thing is they are obviously aiming at the next level. I don;t think they paid good money to enlist the feedback of Randy Pobst in order to slay ass ad infinitum in ITE....my 2 cents.

mk

At some point beating up on those who cannot compete with you works against you and not for you. I think you have exceeded that point. I hope you move to World Challenege so you can get a taste of your own medicine.

C-Spec
11-04-2006, 12:36 AM
:buck2:

mkibort
11-04-2006, 01:09 AM
good points. i have to agree. hey, in ITE, the race is where you find it. Im sure kent would have had a much better time with the 4 of us last year laguna with Prall, smith, matesso and me dicing it up the entire race, than time trialing at the front. Im in it for the racing, but am making the best of it with what i got. so, what happens when i put in the stroker next season, and then kent doesnt show up?? now im 4 seconds faster than smith, allen, matesso, rylan and who ever shows up with a real fast stock'ish car, and im out by myself, unless the viper guys show up to play. Or, i could take it to the POC races, and compete with the BIG money porsches. your right, racing is not fair. (at least most of it) so, you have to use your own judgement to find the most fun. spec miata used to be this kind of fair racing, but even it has changed. in 1999, you could run top 10 in speedGT in a car like mine, still being 15 years
old! grand am GS is pretty interesting, but 2 to 3 hour races drive costs WAY up . World challenge requires you to have a competition coupe viper or porsche Gt3 (by the way, just saw a used one for sale for $180k) so, whats left?? ITE!!!! just pick your battle and have a good time. Hopefully Kent and I can race next season with either the BMW or the Evo. If he focuses on the BMW, maybe ill pospone the engine mod til 2008, if the evo is going to be lurking around, i may have to put it in over the winter!

Now, the long wait 'til next season!

Mk

So much of the complaining about what the Muellerized team has accomplished sounds a bit like sour grapes from the competitors or would be competitors. Not pointing the finger at you, MK...you seem to actually have a pretty light-hearted attitude about your weekly ass whupins:)....and you are obviously a really competent driver. Nothing about motorsport is "fair"...and even when the playing field seems level, it often is not. Look at spec miata. The winning guys at the national level put assloads of cash into their cars, have super freak engine builders and suspension tuners, etc...but that's part of the game of winning, you do everything you have to. It does not matter if it's racing cars, mountain bikes, etc.... the principal is the same. I think all of us are itching to see what John, Kent and team will do at the next level, and the most important thing is they are obviously aiming at the next level. I don;t think they paid good money to enlist the feedback of Randy Pobst in order to slay ass ad infinitum in ITE....my 2 cents.

mk

nj1266
11-04-2006, 03:34 PM
I do not know if this is aimed at me. But let me tell you that when Kent and John raced with me in the same RS class at the begining of this season @ BW, I beat them both. They were running in RX-7 NA Mazdas. In one race Slider ended up in the dirt for part of the race. I know that these cars are very competitive since Dave Allen was driving one @ the next BW race and beat all of us in the RS field.

So please do not speak out of your a$$. The only reason that Slider wins in ITE is because he outpowers the field in the overkill Evo. Put him in a car that is as powerful as Mark's car and IMO Mark will beat him hands down. This should be easy to do since John can turn down the boost.

slider
11-04-2006, 04:22 PM
I do not know if this is aimed at me. But let me tell you that when Kent and John raced with me in the same RS class at the begining of this season @ BW, I beat them both. They were running in RX-7 NA Mazdas. In one race Slider ended up in the dirt for part of the race. I know that these cars are very competitive since Dave Allen was driving one @ the next BW race and beat all of us in the RS field.

So please do not speak out of your a$$. The only reason that Slider wins in ITE is because he outpowers the field in the overkill Evo. Put him in a car that is as powerful as Mark's car and IMO Mark will beat him hands down. This should be easy to do since John can turn down the boost.

So, the point is I suck?

Blak94GSX
11-04-2006, 04:27 PM
As an EVO owner it makes me real proud to read from racers about how the EVO is so good it's unfair...

I guess that is why EVOs aren't legal to race in Formula 1.

trinydex
11-04-2006, 04:32 PM

So, the point is I suck?
HAHAHA this is exactly the type of question i always ask... and the answer is no right.... the point is that he doesn't get to do what you do....

hagakure
11-04-2006, 06:45 PM
If you read my post carefully you would see that I said NOTHING about driving ability.
So, I don't think I was speaking "out of my a$$".

Of course a faster car gets better results. Obviously. I've gone 2:03 at t-hill in my muellerized buddy club suspended 360 HP (at the crank) Evo...could I go under 2:00 in the 500 hp works or Mullerized Evos? Yes, I think so. Point is, I don't have one of those cars, and they do. Simple, simple point. I was not directing the comments at you personally...this issue has come up many, many times.

hagakure
11-04-2006, 06:49 PM
And Raikkonnen would have been F1 champ this year if he had been in a ferrari or a Renault...so what's your point?

[" The only reason that Slider wins in ITE is because he outpowers the field in the overkill Evo."

trinydex
11-04-2006, 07:14 PM
the point is... "that's racing"

Skiracer
11-04-2006, 08:05 PM
I gave some Porsche Carrera's an ass whoppin today at SOW O0

nj1266
11-04-2006, 08:51 PM
And Raikkonnen would have been F1 champ this year if he had been in a ferrari or a Renault...so what's your point?

[" The only reason that Slider wins in ITE is because he outpowers the field in the overkill Evo."

You guys are being obtuse on purpose. The F1 field has way better parity than the ITE field. ITE is CLUB RACING and not PRO-RACING. Slider should be in pro racing where the 550 hp EVO belongs and has some real competition. His wins originally meant something, but now they mean nothing. Beating up on people who cannot compete with you is like shooting fish in a barrel...It is very easy.

At the last Socal SCCA race there was a Saleen Mustang that was overkill in ITE. It lapped my car so many times I lost count. Its competition was a z3 BMW that was slightly faster than my car and a 3 Series BMW driven by John Norris. Anyone who knows John Norris, know that he is one hell of a driver, but even he could not keep up with the Saleen Mustang. He ended up one full lap behind the Mustang, 10.6 seconds slower per lap, and 7.8 mph slower per lap. That is an empty victory for the Mustang and its driver.

What the hell is the point of beating up on people who cannot compete with you? Where is the fun in that? How are you going to improve your driving skills if you have no competition?

Richard EVO
11-04-2006, 09:47 PM
I like Kent as a person, I think he has improved tremendously as a driver in just 2 years of racing, and most of all, I truly appreciate what he, his Muellerized EVO, and the whole RRC team have done to raise the profile of the EVO as a road racing machine.

That bring said, I agree with Naji on this one. Kent needs to move up to a higher level of racing. Beating the same guys 20+ times in a row at the club racing level is overkill.

hagakure
11-04-2006, 10:38 PM
I don't think that anyone would disagree that it's overkill. That's not the issue for me. I was taking a decidedly philosophical, some might say obtuse, stand on the issue of "why" anyone would do this...and I still say the answer is simple: because you can. It's as simple as that. So, complaining, etc, is not going to change the reality or course that the Muellerized team has adopted. Who knows, maybe all of the detractors will get to gloat when the Muellerized team moves to a higher level and gets their clock cleaned...or maybe not. The whining is moot. They have the right, under the rules, to show up in anything they want to race. Is it the best path for driver development...maybe not. Are there better drivers than Kent that he beats beacuse he has superior machinery...yes, probably. At the end of the day does he loose sleep over that? I think not. So.....there you have it. I feel your pain Nj1266...but you have a choice as well. Don't race against Kent and his car. There are other avenues for racing, other organizations, etc. I'm not defending the Muellerized team, just objectively stating the reality as it is.

mkibort
11-04-2006, 10:43 PM
im even prouder that a 20 year old 928 with less mods than the evo ran 1:30.8 at laguna .
(my new engine mod plus some extras) Â*Hey, If kent wants some competition, ill make sure that $5,000 engine stroker mod gets done to my 20 year old 928, and ill fill his mirror the entire race and maybe more next season! However, if he doesnt show, Ill be in the same boat Kent is in now. Â* club racing is funny that way. Â*You have to bring the right game to the game otherwise you have no game!

MK

As an EVO owner it makes me real proud to read from racers about how the EVO is so good it's unfair...

I guess that is why EVOs aren't legal to race in Formula 1.

mkibort
11-04-2006, 10:56 PM
The greatest thing about Kent and Muellerized efforts, is that they opened the door for ANYONE to come and kick there ass, and no one could do it!! What, 7 vipers made up of 5 local vipers made up of 2 speedGT world challenge competitors, and 2 nationally ranked T1 vipers, yet no one could beat the little (but powerful ) evo. (shame on them!)
I agree that kent and the team was spinning their wheels racking up 2 seasons of victories for most of the time, they were time trialing within a club race, because thats the bottom line . But what is noteworty, is that they put out a challenge since day one and no one that stepped up could beat them. Those races were races for Kent and team.
Ive been doing this for a long time. As much as i enjoyed seeing a real powerful Evo out there, i was amazed and so were most of my racer buddies, that the car didnt blow up during the first race running at 550hp.. certainly, they proved the reliability of the platformed, even running at a 200hp/liter!!

Ill tell you what, if i put that stroker 928 engine in, and they dont show up, im coming down to get them next year in LA!! :)

MK

I don't think that anyone would disagree that it's overkill. That's not the issue for me. I was taking a decidedly philosophical, some might say obtuse, stand on the issue of "why" anyone would do this...and I still say the answer is simple: because you can. It's as simple as that. So, complaining, etc, is not going to change the reality or course that the Muellerized team has adopted. Who knows, maybe all of the detractors will get to gloat when the Muellerized team moves to a higher level and gets their clock cleaned...or maybe not. The whining is moot. They have the right, under the rules, to show up in anything they want to race. Is it the best path for driver development...maybe not. Are there better drivers than Kent that he beats beacuse he has superior machinery...yes, probably. At the end of the day does he loose sleep over that? I think not. So.....there you have it. I feel your pain Nj1266...but you have a choice as well. Don't race against Kent and his car. There are other avenues for racing, other organizations, etc. I'm not defending the Muellerized team, just objectively stating the reality as it is.

nj1266
11-05-2006, 09:09 AM
I don't think that anyone would disagree that it's overkill. That's not the issue for me. I was taking a decidedly philosophical, some might say obtuse, stand on the issue of "why" anyone would do this...and I still say the answer is simple: because you can. It's as simple as that. So, complaining, etc, is not going to change the reality or course that the Muellerized team has adopted.

Let me make this clear, when the team began their racing I was very impressed with them. I was supporting them like everyone else. When I first saw the car (the one that got wrecked) I was drooling over it and asking all kinds of question. Richard was there and he can vouch for this. I also got to drive Richard's car and scared him :grin:

Who knows, maybe all of the detractors will get to gloat when the Muellerized team moves to a higher level and gets their clock cleaned...or maybe not. The whining is moot. They have the right, under the rules, to show up in anything they want to race. Is it the best path for driver development...maybe not. Are there better drivers than Kent that he beats beacuse he has superior machinery...yes, probably. At the end of the day does he loose sleep over that?

If the team moves on to World Challenge, I will cheer them on no matter where they finish. It will be a gutsy move and I will totally have respect for that. If they decide to build a new EVO and race in SCCA T2, I will also support them because it is a very competitive class and the rules are very strict. They will be competing with 350z and STIs. Personally, That is where I would go if I was racing my Evo.

Having competition is essential to improving driver skill. As Mark mentioned, Kent is simply time trialing. It is totally different to race and have a competitor glued to your rear bumper while try to pass the competitor ahead of you. It take a lot to learn to race w/o constantly looking in your mirrors. I find this the hardest thing to do.

I think not. So.....there you have it. I feel your pain Nj1266...but you have a choice as well. Don't race against Kent and his car. There are other avenues for racing, other organizations, etc. I'm not defending the Muellerized team, just objectively stating the reality as it is.

I am not in ITE, nor will I be anytime soon. This is not about sour grapes as you said. As I told you before, when Kent/John showed up to the RS class that I was in @ Buttonwillow @ the begining of the year they did not even make the podium. I made the podium twice on that weekend. I am not afraid of competing with them. Next season I will be in ITA in Socal region. This class is tightly controlled and not wide open like ITE. This class has real competition and I am looking forward to it.

hagakure
11-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Right on MK!

That's the right attitude. Maybe I'll see you in some of the ITE races in a few years in a decidedly less powerful evo....I'm just doing NASA TT now, and will start doing the ARC club races next year. I hope you do get to race against them in a more powerful car, it would be interesting for all.

PH

The greatest thing about Kent and Muellerized efforts, is that they opened the door for ANYONE to come and kick there ass, and no one could do it!! What, 7 vipers made up of 5 local vipers made up of 2 speedGT world challenge competitors, and 2 nationally ranked T1 vipers, yet no one could beat the little (but powerful ) evo. (shame on them!)
I agree that kent and the team was spinning their wheels racking up 2 seasons of victories for most of the time, they were time trialing within a club race, because thats the bottom line . But what is noteworty, is that they put out a challenge since day one and no one that stepped up could beat them. Those races were races for Kent and team.
Ive been doing this for a long time. As much as i enjoyed seeing a real powerful Evo out there, i was amazed and so were most of my racer buddies, that the car didnt blow up during the first race running at 550hp.. certainly, they proved the reliability of the platformed, even running at a 200hp/liter!!

Ill tell you what, if i put that stroker 928 engine in, and they dont show up, im coming down to get them next year in LA!! :)

MK

hagakure
11-05-2006, 09:14 AM
I don't disagree with anything you just said....

Good luck next year in ITA.

I don't think that anyone would disagree that it's overkill. That's not the issue for me. I was taking a decidedly philosophical, some might say obtuse, stand on the issue of "why" anyone would do this...and I still say the answer is simple: because you can. It's as simple as that. So, complaining, etc, is not going to change the reality or course that the Muellerized team has adopted.

Let me make this clear, when the team began their racing I was very impressed with them. I was supporting them like everyone else. When I first saw the car (the one that got wrecked) I was drooling over it and asking all kinds of question. Richard was there and he can vouch for this. I also got to drive Richard's car and scared him :grin:

Who knows, maybe all of the detractors will get to gloat when the Muellerized team moves to a higher level and gets their clock cleaned...or maybe not. The whining is moot. They have the right, under the rules, to show up in anything they want to race. Is it the best path for driver development...maybe not. Are there better drivers than Kent that he beats beacuse he has superior machinery...yes, probably. At the end of the day does he loose sleep over that?

If the team moves on to World Challenge, I will cheer them on no matter where they finish. It will be a gutsy move and I will totally have respect for that. If they decide to build a new EVO and race in SCCA T2, I will also support them because it is a very competitive class and the rules are very strict. They will be competing with 350z and STIs. Personally, That is where I would go if I was racing my Evo.

Having competition is essential to improving driver skill. As Mark mentioned, Kent is simply time trialing. It is totally different to race and have a competitor glued to your rear bumper while try to pass the competitor ahead of you. It take a lot to learn to race w/o constantly looking in your mirrors. I find this the hardest thing to do.

I think not. So.....there you have it. I feel your pain Nj1266...but you have a choice as well. Don't race against Kent and his car. There are other avenues for racing, other organizations, etc. I'm not defending the Muellerized team, just objectively stating the reality as it is.

I am not in ITE, nor will I be anytime soon. This is not about sour grapes as you said. As I told you before, when Kent/John showed up to the RS class that I was in @ Buttonwillow @ the begining of the year they did not even make the podium. I made the podium twice on that weekend. I am not afraid of competing with them. Next season I will be in ITA in Socal region. This class is tightly controlled and not wide open like ITE. This class has real competition and I am looking forward to it.