PDA

View Full Version : new to forums, kinda new to evo's

sleeping
10-29-2006, 12:19 AM
well I've been looking into getting an evo and though I'm sure most owners here will tell me what I already know, I wanted to come on and learn anything else I could about them before I went out and made my purchious.

I own a 2005 mazda 3 for the moment which I am looking to trade in. Actually I would have traded it last weekend, but it's been bussy getting upgraded a few touches. Ive had just about every different type of aftermarket part on her at one point or another (currently running a header, 2.5 inch exhaust, 440cc injectors, and the gready emanage piggyback. My gt25 is off for the moment because my 3inch downpipe needs to be redone.) Anyways I love my mazda, it's the biggest suprise of a car I think you can buy, and while mine is capeable of holding it's own, even vs an evo, I'm tired of shit breaking, and having to replace it. (already gone through a motor and a set of drive axels, clutch plate, a few maf sensors, ect ect ect...) I'd also kinda like to stop having to hide from the cops because the car is so dam far from street legal.

I thought about getting a mazdaspeed 6, because I have plenty of hookups in the world of mazda, and I could still hang out with my old crowd. but to be honest, I want a real change of pace, and need something that out of the box will be better than the 3 with the turbo (I'm not willing to start from scrach again, to much work involved) And my roommate owns a silver 2006 MR IX (is that how they are refered to? or is it IX MR?) and pretty much I've fallen for the car. It's beefy, it's raw, and it'll go uphill in the snow. And it's still more comfurtable than my current car, and quiter, and has a warrenty, and the cops can't make you undo all the work done to it.

Anyways I'm probably going to just be trolling around for a while till I actually get the car, maybe see what kinds of diy freebie (or close) mods their are, and how much better that 6speed is to a 5. And to try to find the best place to buy one (I hate the local mitsu salesmen, they are all asshats) That's actually the biggest question I have right off the bat, where to look and buy? I would like to get a grey MR IX, but I could really go for anything 05+, the only option I am dead set on is HID, but I can do that myself if it comes to that, and I really want grey and some sort of upgraded shifter, either the aluminum one or the 6 speed, and really I could go for just about any greyscale color, or blue. (sorry if that is confusing) so I'm definatly open to just about any option combination, just need to know where the best place to buy is. Well that and wait for my 3's turbo to get fixed so I can sell that car.

Anyways I live in temecula, go to palomar, that's about it, that work and cars are my life pretty much. mostly my life is calc 2. yes it does suck. can't wait for snowboarding season. Hey that's a good question too, how do you get a snowboard in an evo?

Johnny

thisxguy
10-29-2006, 12:30 AM
welcome

and South coast and huntington beach are two popular dealers (but they're a bit of a drive for you)

go with graphite grey if you like it...it is the most popular color.

6speed vs 5speed. it depends what you want to do with your car. if you're going to track i suggest the 5speed since the 6speed's 4th gear has broke in a few cars (since the size of the gear is thinner). in the evo IX, the 5speed's gear ratios are practically identical to the 6speeds...so there isnt much of a difference.

if you get a SSL package on a IX gsr, you'll have HIDs. you can do HID by yourself...there's a bunch of write ups. if you're going to track and worry about weight..i hear that the HID equipped headlights are heavy.

and the evo catches a lot of attention...i feel myself somewhat running from the cops, despite being stock. but im usually an ass with them when it seems like they're trying to bust me for something. for example, if they sit back behind me waiting to hear a loud exhaust, i'll just take off and be like fcuk you. lol. i know i havent broken any rules, but they still try to bust me for shit. i hate it.

anyways, welcome. i hope i answered your questions.

sleeping
10-29-2006, 12:36 AM
yeah, thanks, what about tustin mitsu? my friend bough an s2k their and the were pretty good to him, so that's where I was thinking of going. nice to know about the gear on the 6 speed too, I've been having to be ginger with the tranny on the 3 because 3rd has broken on just about all the other mtx turbo's, so it sounds like the regular one is the one for me, and thanks for the info about the regular hid's, didn't know they were available on the regular IX.

thisxguy
10-29-2006, 12:39 AM
i havent really head of any bad mitsu dealers. tustin mitsu should be fine. the 6 speed would be nice for daily driving...i wish i had that 6th gear to use for cruising on the freeway

sleeping
10-29-2006, 12:40 AM
also thought I should mention my roommate did get pulled over in his evo for a "modified" exhaust, when it was stock. but he just gets it signed off, no pain at all. for me it means complete turbo deconstruciton and reinstalling the exhaust manifold, along with the stock exahaust, combine a good 5 hours work if I really put my nose to the stone.

thisxguy
10-29-2006, 12:44 AM
i know a few guys who got tickets for stock things. like the exhaust and an oversized wing :2funny: also aftermarket HIDs

Skiracer
10-29-2006, 12:59 AM
Thule rack for Non MR cars. Yakima rack will fit on MR cars.

sleeping
10-29-2006, 01:00 AM
hey how needed are the antilock brakes on this car? that's about all that would hang me up on a rs (just asking incase thats the route I have to go. How easy is it to lock them up?

sleeping
10-29-2006, 01:01 AM
is the different rack needed cause of the sonic the hedgehog spikes?

SpdyEvo02
10-29-2006, 01:06 AM
DO NOT go to tustin mitsu the will rip you off.. you are better off going to South Coast or Huntington Beach Mitsu

is the different rack needed cause of the sonic the hedgehog spikes?

no the MR's have an alluminum roof and are made to be aerodynamic so you need a different roof rack

thisxguy
10-29-2006, 01:09 AM
well there's one bad thing i've heard about tustin mitsu...go talk to them and see what they say.

hey dustin, are they that bad? lol.

and +1 for what he said about aluminum roofs

-RJ

SpdyEvo02
10-29-2006, 01:14 AM
yes Tustin mitsu is horrible

if you go to South Coast Mitsu pm SRT Motorsports about going there and they will take car of you
or
If you go to Huntington Beach Mitsu pm Ricardon and he will hook you up when you go there

thisxguy
10-29-2006, 01:16 AM
^ that sounds good...let one of those guys know that you're coming from temecula and they'll hook you up since you're going to them from a far place (its not that far but yea)

sleeping
10-29-2006, 01:19 AM
wow, and tustin looked like the place to go, any reason that they suck so much? (this is exactly why I think forums are the best way to find out about one's next car) Also, how come I can't quote anyone? is this forum not set up to work with mac osx?

SpdyEvo02
10-29-2006, 01:23 AM
wow, and tustin looked like the place to go, any reason that they suck so much? (this is exactly why I think forums are the best way to find out about one's next car) Also, how come I can't quote anyone? is this forum not set up to work with mac osx?

they will try to rip you off i know of someone who paid 40k for an MR and i have heard alot of stories about them overcharging and also voiding warrenties and i am not sure about the quoting part

trinydex
10-29-2006, 04:44 PM
all the info you need is here use wisely

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=30485.0

sleeping
10-29-2006, 05:42 PM
all the info you need is here use wisely

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=30485.0

still didn't say anything about quoting and mac osx.

trinydex
10-29-2006, 05:49 PM
uhm... basic usage information can be figured out pretty easily... the quote button is to your right in the upper corner of the post box. i know nothing of mac osx and don't have any desire to learn about it at the moment but i'm sure wiki can help you out.

and if those two are somehow related like you can't quote with mac osx... well i don't know what you want anyone to do about that...

JOOTZ
10-29-2006, 10:36 PM
you cant quote with a Mac,thats my base at home.
i surf socal with my windows based laptop
so there.
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/2010/einsteinvg4.jpg

shift knob???
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/4438/shiftknob4vb9.jpg
installed in my IX
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/9886/img0392wq3.jpg
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4299/img0391va5.jpg

good luck...

trinydex
10-29-2006, 11:43 PM
is that polyurathane? or is it resin. grippy or smooth?

j_nizzle
10-29-2006, 11:46 PM

it says "duracon" on the box...i want one now...

GokuSSJ4
10-30-2006, 01:22 AM
you cant quote with a Mac,thats my base at home.
i surf socal with my windows based laptop
so there.

it works but i think its an issue with imac OS X
since i use most of the time 9.2 OS on the Imac

JOOTZ
10-30-2006, 08:28 PM

think its resin
smooth

it says "duracon" on the box...i want one now...

C2AUTO