PDA

View Full Version : best alarm revelco???

trinydex
10-29-2006, 02:20 AM
Yeah, you see a lot of these on EvoM lately, right? So i did some research and ended up picking a security system that i think should prevent me from ever crying about my stolen car. In addition to the LoJack AW system which was installed by the dealer when i bought the car i decided to go with Ravelco. I created this post to share my experience with you.

Did you know that the fastest way to steal your Evo is to just put it in gear and push? All these alarms are pointless. A thief can get a code generation machine, shaved keys, etc. All of the alarms can be disengaged in a matter of seconds. Think about it - if you can disable the alarm and open your door from a distance, dont you think that with the right toold the thief can do the same? So anyway, the only solution would be electro-mechanical - hence Ravelco.

I contacted Ravelco at www.CarThiefStoppers.com (http://www.CarThiefStoppers.com) (NJ, PA, DC, DE, MD, VA sales and installation) and got a price quote of $318 Tax included. My appointment was set and i was notified that my master installer is going to be Chuck Whigham. So when the day came i was excited and worried at the same time.

Chuck arrived in his truck and from the first minute he made me feel comfortable. The guy clearly knew what he was talking about. Soft spoken, well mannered and a nice guy overall. He started at roughly 12:30 in the afternoon and finished at about 7:30. Thats right - thats how long it took.

I must admit, i was bothering the guy with questions, came down into the garage to check progess a few times and was impressed with how he was performing the install. The car was covered with protective sheets and it looked like a heart transplant scene. I cant even being to describe how gentle the guy was with my car. I honestly felt that he was working with the same care as he wold on his own vehicle. Tidy, clean and precise. Every wire soldered, hear shrunk and heat shielded. Such a nice job. Inside the car, Chuck and I figured out the best spot for the plug and Chuck installed it perfectly. Exactly where and how i wanted it. Everything feels solid and complete!

Ravelco has no callbacks. Everything works and will continue to work 100%. No hacking the ECU, no hacking of wires and no problems. When Chuck was done i couldnt tell that anything was ever touched. As the end result, if the plug is not inserted - you can turn the key to the first position and turn the radio on but thats it. You cant start the car. You cant even start it with it in gear and rolling down the hill. If you have the plug in and start the car, taking it out kills it as if you took the key out. It would take a group of thiefs hours just to figure out how to disable the system. I see a question coming: What if you just rip the plug out and cross the wires? Answer: There are lots of wires, they are all the same color, dummy wires are mixed in. If you dont cross specific wires together (could be 3 wires could be 4 or more) correctly you blow the fuses and you are done. No more chances. Every install is different so even if you spend hours on one car disabling the system - you will spend the same time or more on another. Its simple and its very effective.

I am not going to go into details of how the system works, its a bit complex, you can read about it on Ravelco's site. What i wanted to say is this:

If you dont want your car stolen, invest the $320 into a system that works. If you are in the NJ, PA, DC, DE, MD or VA area, call them up (877-662-9727) and if you drive an Evo or an STI ask for Chuck Whigham - he is the man. You will be glad you did it.

I am in no way associated with Ravelco or with Chuck, i dont get any disconts and all i want is to help you prevent being another victim and share my experience with this security system. {thumbup}

I am not advocating for Ravelco being 100% in terms of theft-proof. You can flatbed any car but besides that, if you are thinking of a security system, dont fall for all the beeping and flashing - get a system that works. Any security system can be defeated, its just that with this one it will either take hours to disable it or a freaking blatbed to take the car away.

EDIT: To answer all your questions: There are no remotes. There is no signal going in or out, there is no RF energy, there are no audiable warnings and no paging. Its an electro-mechanical key. Looks like the socket on your video card where you plug in your monitor. A round plug with a lot of pins. You plug it in and the car can run, you take it out and its 100% dead with no chance of starting.

In terms of looks. Dont mind the photos on Ravelco's site. My installation looks 100% clean and low-key. If you ever do the install, ask Chuck to do it the way he did mine. I will post some pics for you later on.

trinydex
10-29-2006, 02:26 AM
their california branch website is: http://www.nohotwire.com/

ebevo
10-30-2006, 10:11 AM
i wouldn't really classify this as an alarm...more like an immobilizer

think i'll stick with my 2 way...investment has already paid off :coolsmiley:

trinydex
10-30-2006, 05:21 PM
immoblizers the only way to keep people from driving away with your car.

v8hater
10-30-2006, 05:38 PM
If the thiefs what your car bad enough they will take it. I had a lot of anti-theif stuff on my civic and the guys just towed it away.

I think you are buying piece of mind more than anything else.

trinydex
10-30-2006, 06:10 PM
well it's more for the fact that the stock immobilizer can be easily defeated now. nothing will gaurd against the tow... but the fact is not every thief can or wants to tow. this will fend off all the others. it's a fancy kill switch.

Skiracer
10-30-2006, 06:19 PM
You just need one of these to prevent a theft or carjacking
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/230000/images/_232777_car300.jpg

trinydex
10-30-2006, 10:24 PM
if only that were legal.

j_nizzle
10-31-2006, 02:36 PM
it's a fancy kill switch.

i totally agree. plenty of the honda guys use kill switches and it works for most of them...im surprised a thread on this system didnt come up sooner or even why the itr guys arent praising it if it works so well...

trinydex
10-31-2006, 02:52 PM
there was one itr guy on evom that was praising it... but kill switches need redundancy to get the same effect and if you make it real redundant then people can see what you're doing. this way the only way to diable the system is to enable it. a wire password if you will.

Myevo8
11-01-2006, 11:56 PM
this is the next mod after i get the rest of my sensors for my alarm