PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Legal or Not

4g63evo05
10-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Are the aftermaket catback exhaust for the evo street legal? Like the HKS hipower. Is that street legal and if so is there anything to prove it becaus ei got a ticket for having a modified exhaust and i want to know if i can fight it.

Thanks

wj4
10-31-2006, 08:36 AM
if its under 95dB then it is legal. of course this is only if you have a catback with stock downpipe and stock cat.

4g63evo05
10-31-2006, 08:39 AM
Where can i get it checked for the dB so i can fight the ticket and prove that the exhuast is legal

ryan0
10-31-2006, 08:48 AM
Where can i get it checked for the dB so i can fight the ticket and prove that the exhuast is legal

radio shack.. $20 db meter.

Skiracer
10-31-2006, 08:48 AM
http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=13091.0

Dagul
10-31-2006, 09:21 AM
First off, what does your ticket say? Is it "correctable"? If so, just suck it up, put your stock exhaust back on and get it signed off and pay the $10...

You can also go to your local referee station and have them test it and print you out a piece of paper stating that it's under 95db...

I'm not sure if they still do the free courtesy check though. You might have to show them your ticket for them to test it and pay a nominal fee...

xEviLxVIIIx
10-31-2006, 09:34 AM
It depends on what the officer wrote you on the ticket. If its just for noise pollution, then it just has to pass the db limit. If you get a modified emissions ticket then on all the VIII's, the catback is not legal unless it has an CARB E.O. #, because the oxygen sensor is part of the catback and you cant modify any part of the emission system. On the IX's you're ok because the oxygen sensor is part of the cat.

Mokaone
10-31-2006, 09:50 AM
if its under 95dB then it is legal. of course this is only if you have a catback with stock downpipe and stock cat.

O0 emission wise, anything from cat back is legal. u could remove your exhaust and run open cat if u wished. and note, has to be stock cat, high flow cats dont count (unless it has a CARB No.). as far as "sound pollution", from my expirience before, its up to the cop to decide wats "loud" and wat isnt.

4g63evo05
11-01-2006, 08:58 AM
It depends on what the officer wrote you on the ticket. If its just for noise pollution, then it just has to pass the db limit. If you get a modified emissions ticket then on all the VIII's, the catback is not legal unless it has an CARB E.O. #, because the oxygen sensor is part of the catback and you cant modify any part of the emission system. On the IX's you're ok because the oxygen sensor is part of the cat.

The officer wrote "moddified exhaust" on the ticket.

Dagul
11-01-2006, 11:21 AM

Correctable or non-correctable?

4g63evo05
11-01-2006, 02:23 PM

Correctable or non-correctable?

dont know the popo marked it ass an infraction.