PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Seca Videos

Barfly
11-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Well, it's over over but it was a hell of a lot of fun. I can't believe what us SoCal guys are missing. Laguna Seca is a classy and very well maintained track.

There was some light drama over the weekend as there were maybe a half dozen crashes and a car that caught on fire. I also nearly got clipped by a porche (see third video). It was coming on to the track and "lost the brakes."Â*

That track was tough on consumables as I managed to finish off a set of rotors, pads, and maybe a gearbox.Â* :crazy2:

Make sure to view the videos in 16:9 widescreen format with a divx player or something comparable. Windows Media Player will just run it at 4:3. Here is a track map for those that have never been there: http://www.laguna-seca.com/generalinfo/index.cfm?FuseAction=TrackMap

Video #1: http://www.mediamax.com/barfly30/Hosted/LagunaRedSession2.avi

I was following Ryan for the first few laps. It was fun watching the drifting session with his street tires.Â* :-P On the last lap, you will see that a G35 broke off a wheel.

Video #2: http://www.mediamax.com/barfly30/Hosted/LagunaRedSession3.avi

I was following Bitterman for a few laps. He now has motons on the car and I loaned him some used RA-1s to run the session. He doesn't have as much HP, so I could pull on him up Rahal and the main straight. He really carried turns 9 and 10 well. In hindsight, I should have been running 4th gear before 9 (Rainey curve) and through that section as I was hitting my rev limiter right before turn 10. I was experiencing a little understeer during the session as I had just changed tires and my hot pressures were 46+ up front.

Video #3: http://www.mediamax.com/barfly30/Hosted/LagunaPorscheEntry.avi

Watch the pit entry lane. The porsche was supposed to enter the track between turns 2 and 3.Â* :-o He said he lost his brakes and had to pull the e-brake.Â* :?

Richard EVO
11-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Jason -

I'll watch the video tomorrow - all I have with me now is my blackberry, and it won't show videos.

Re: your comment about SoCal drivers not knowing what they are missing at Laguna. Well you don't know what you are missing; not yet anyway. Laguna is my least favorite of the 3 NorCal road courses. Wait 'til you try Thunderhill (Kent's favorite), and the Taj Mahal of west coast road courses, Sears Point/Infineon Raceway!!!

Barfly
11-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Re: your comment about SoCal drivers not knowing what they are missing at Laguna. Well you don't know what you are missing; not yet anyway. Laguna is my least favorite of the 3 NorCal road courses. Wait 'til you try Thunderhill, and the Tal Mahal of west coast road courses, Sears Point/Infineon Raceway!!!

Yeah, I have been hearing that a lot. Aaron, John, and countless others have said the same. I hope to drive them all before I leave.

Richard EVO
11-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Leave what? California, or this mortal world? Hope you don't mean the latter. My upcoming 2007 HPDE Events thread will contain all the 2-day events at Sears and T-hill.

Barfly
11-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Leave what? California, or this mortal world? Hope you don't mean the latter. My upcoming 2007 HPDE Events thread will contain all the 2-day events at Sears and T-hill.

Hopefully, not the planet just yet. I'm leaving for the midwest in July '07. A new job awaits.

Richard EVO
11-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Plenty of time to get to Sears and T-hill. Since you like NASA, just go to their website, NorCal region, after Jan. 1. It will list lots of weekend events in the first half of 2007.

Barfly
11-06-2006, 11:32 PM
By the way, any experienced input would be appreciated. I know of a few areas that could have been better now that I analyze the footage and data. I was a little inconsistent up turn 5 and I needed to be in 4th gear at turn 9, so that I could have taken 9/10 harder. I did start shifting up before 10 in later sessions. I still need to get on the boost a little quicker. On the faster laps in video 1, I could have hit the boost a little earlier in 3.

My fastest time, btw was 1:44.6. My max speed was 118 and max G 1.52.

Richard EVO
11-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Nice time for first event there

Barfly
11-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Nice time for first event there

Thanks. It was a lucky lap. I was mostly running 1:45-1:47 with open track.

ryan0
11-07-2006, 09:22 AM
cool videos.. i didnt realize how far from an apex i was all day... i was just working to keep it on the track.

i have my video downloaded.. just need to compress it tonight.

just saw these pics and thought they were kid of funny.. guess which car isnt on coil-overs.

http://ryan.midnight.net/car/evo-laguna/Red_1_076.jpg

http://ryan.midnight.net/car/evo-laguna/Red_1_162.jpg

http://ryan.midnight.net/car/evo-laguna/Red_2_064.jpg

and richard please stfu... thunderhill in in the middle of a cow pasture.. with no racing history what so ever.. while being a fun track it cannot compare to laguna or sears.. but laguna wins out by having such a rich history.. now to a poser like you, this may not make a difference, but...

and btw.. nice "for your first time" comment.. im betting his times are faster than your 5th time at laguna. (even though all his times were unverified and could be accounted for by gps satelite drift).

oh.. the little league field near my house is so nice (kents favorite).. id rather play there than in yankee stadium..

Richard EVO
11-07-2006, 09:39 AM
ryan0

I was so impressed with your most recent gentlemanly commentary that I have decided to use it in my signature here.

ryan0
11-07-2006, 09:56 AM
I was so impressed with your most recent gentlemanly commentary that I have decided to use it in my signature here.

that makes no sense what-so-ever.

you want to point out to the world that you are ignorant about racing history and that youre slower than people that you make condecending comments to?

umm.. ok.

btw.. thought i was on ignore.. just more bs huh?

Barfly
11-07-2006, 10:06 AM
(even though all his times were unverified and could be accounted for by gps satelite drift).

Haha. I wish I could have gotten a little more drift then.

denon728
11-07-2006, 02:05 PM
By the way, any experienced input would be appreciated. I know of a few areas that could have been better now that I analyze the footage and data. I was a little inconsistent up turn 5 and I needed to be in 4th gear at turn 9, so that I could have taken 9/10 harder. I did start shifting up before 10 in later sessions. I still need to get on the boost a little quicker. On the faster laps in video 1, I could have hit the boost a little earlier in 3.

I think if you went into the corkscrew full throttle, you would improve your times significantly. :-o

Barfly
11-07-2006, 02:08 PM

I think if you went into the corkscrew full throttle, you would improve your times significantly. :-o

Thanks man. I will take the Andretti hairpin full throttle too. :P

hagakure
11-07-2006, 11:14 PM
It generally takes a bit to get me riled on line....but you are one collossal asshole.

that makes no sense what-so-ever.

you want to point out to the world that you are ignorant about racing history and that youre slower than people that you make condecending comments to?

umm.. ok.

btw.. thought i was on ignore.. just more bs huh?

Barfly
11-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Ryan, you have had an interesting entry to the EVO boards. You have single handedly started flamewars at both SoCal and EVOm. All your hatred towards Richard is based on his comment about a car and drifting? And I have never seen him make a single claim that he is a fast driver. He goes to the events and tries to improve just like everyone else. Some of your comments have been funny and amusing, but other times they just seem mean and hurtful. What gives?

earlyapex
11-08-2006, 01:45 AM
That track was tough on consumables as I managed to finish off a set of rotors, pads, and maybe a gearbox. :crazy2:

What happened with the gearbox?

ryan0
11-08-2006, 08:35 AM
What gives?

i dont hate anyone.. he's known on many track boards for having too big of a head for his skills.. always condecending to noobs.. then when he tries to talk smack, he gets all weepy when you say anything back to him.

he tried to give me crap when i first came here.. now everyone feels bad for him?

Barfly
11-08-2006, 09:33 AM
That track was tough on consumables as I managed to finish off a set of rotors, pads, and maybe a gearbox. :crazy2:

What happened with the gearbox?

I am losing 4th gear. I noticed it on the second day after coming off the track. Not sure what caused it. I missed a few shifts on Saturday, but it was fine then.

Barfly
11-08-2006, 09:35 AM
What gives?

i dont hate anyone.. he's known on many track boards for having too big of a head for his skills.. always condecending to noobs.. then when he tries to talk smack, he gets all weepy when you say anything back to him.

he tried to give me crap when i first came here.. now everyone feels bad for him?

He can defend himself, but it just seems weird to read this kind of stuff daily on the forums. Send him a PM if you want to bash him. :)

earlyapex
11-08-2006, 01:17 PM
I am losing 4th gear. I noticed it on the second day after coming off the track. Not sure what caused it. I missed a few shifts on Saturday, but it was fine then.

Don't you love the 6 speed? Always 4th gear. I have a 4th gear sitting on my desk if you need another broken one. ;)
http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/broken_6spd/evoMR_6spd_4thgear_size03.jpg

What do you mean "you think it's going"? What are your symptoms. Mine just got up and left a couple teeth missing. ;)

Barfly
11-08-2006, 01:26 PM

What do you mean "you think it's going"? What are your symptoms. Mine just got up and left a couple teeth missing. ;)

Gate changes are very slow and difficult, especially in and out of 4th gear. It's almost like a thick viscous feel, if that makes sense. The third and fourth gates aren't nearly as easy to make as first and second. I can still make the shifts at this point, but intermittently during an upshift to third or fourth, it will seize. I'm going to try and take it in under warranty. :crazy2:

earlyapex
11-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Gate changes are very slow and difficult, especially in and out of 4th gear. It's almost like a thick viscous feel, if that makes sense. The third and fourth gates aren't nearly as easy to make as first and second. I can still make the shifts at this point, but intermittently during an upshift to third or fourth, it will seize. I'm going to try and take it in under warranty. :crazy2:

Ah ok, you found the other problem with the 6spd, warped synchro sleeves from heat. It's happened twice to another track guy up here. Once in the 2nd track session with the car almost new, and the second time at another track event right after the gearbox was rebuilt. He is now going to a 5spd. Car doesn't even have 10k on it yet.

ryan0
11-08-2006, 01:50 PM
who builds beefy track trannys for these cars?

Barfly
11-08-2006, 02:07 PM

Car doesn't even have 10k on it yet.

9k here, although almost all track miles.

earlyapex
11-08-2006, 02:07 PM
who builds beefy track trannys for these cars?

TRE or Shep racing

http://www.teamrip.com/
http://www.sheptrans.com/

I just got my 6spd rebuilt by TRE but I think the 6spd is just a pile in general.

earlyapex
11-08-2006, 02:08 PM

If you've put almost 9k all track miles on your car, I need your job. ;)

ryan0
11-08-2006, 02:43 PM
ooooh.. a dog ring evo transmission.. leet.

Barfly
11-08-2006, 02:55 PM

If you've put almost 9k all track miles on your car, I need your job. ;)

:) My trek to work is only about 6 miles each way and I have been fortunate enough to run about 2 weekends (4 days a month) for the last 6-7 months. Hopefully that keeps up, although next year it will be a lot different and I will have less free weekend time. Thanks for the input. O0

ebevo
11-10-2006, 06:59 PM
damn that last clip with the porsche coming out of the pit was loco :D

i saw those dirt rocks spray into your interior & windshield :idiot2:

always wondered why they make you roll down the windows

tanK
11-11-2006, 12:47 AM
So that if anything happens to you or your car it is easier to pull you out of the car

Richard EVO
11-11-2006, 10:58 AM
So that if you break a window, the glass goes inside the door, rather than all over you.

Barfly
11-14-2006, 05:07 PM

Ah ok, you found the other problem with the 6spd, warped synchro sleeves from heat. It's happened twice to another track guy up here. Once in the 2nd track session with the car almost new, and the second time at another track event right after the gearbox was rebuilt. He is now going to a 5spd. Car doesn't even have 10k on it yet.

Good call. It was the synchros. I need to do a better job at heel-toe. I usually do, but on a new track I don't always nail it down.

And I'm happy to report that it will be covered under warranty. They are going to order the needed part(s) and provide a rental for a few days. The harness, absent backseat, r compounds, black brake calipers, CEL, and rubber marks on the car must have not mattered.Â* :P :D

evobeaner
11-14-2006, 05:11 PM
thats awesome barfly. nothing beats getting your car fixed for nothing.

ryan0
11-14-2006, 05:45 PM
I need to do a better job at heel-toe. I usually do, but on a new track I don't always nail it down.

i dont know if you have a clutch and lighter flywheel.. but when driving a stock RS i would stab the gass and the rpm would blip like 300 rpm.. but mine with the light flywheel is cake to blip.

i'll go work on the video right now.. heh.. but see.. youre faster at the video and im faster on the track.. :D

earlyapex
11-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Yea my evo now with the RRE flywheel is much easier to rev match.

Barfly
11-14-2006, 06:40 PM
I need to do a better job at heel-toe. I usually do, but on a new track I don't always nail it down.

i dont know if you have a clutch and lighter flywheel.. but when driving a stock RS i would stab the gass and the rpm would blip like 300 rpm.. but mine with the light flywheel is cake to blip.

i'll go work on the video right now.. heh.. but see.. youre faster at the video and im faster on the track.. :D

Yeah, I have the same problem. The blip is like 500rpm at most for me unless I keep it there. I may look into the flywheel.

Maybe you should take a closer look at that video. ;) Although I can't take much credit since you were running castrated. You will get your chance next round.

leaveit2bevo
11-14-2006, 08:59 PM
who did you get to warranty the tranny?

Barfly
11-14-2006, 09:21 PM
what do you use to encode divx?.. i havent done this since mpeg-4 was 'state of the art'

I tried Divx before, but now I use XVID. Download virtualdub and the XVID codec and try that. Worked ok for me.

Barfly
11-14-2006, 09:22 PM
who did you get to warranty the tranny?

PM'ed.

ryan0
11-14-2006, 10:40 PM
what do you use to encode divx?.. i havent done this since mpeg-4 was 'state of the art'

ryan0
11-15-2006, 08:46 AM
eh.. quicktime.. divx took too long.

both following barfly.. first one at the end of session.. second one at the beginning.. not a lot to see.

right click.. save as..

76 meg - 3:45 - http://ryan.midnight.net/car/evo-laguna/laguna1.mov

104 meg - 7:28 - http://ryan.midnight.net/car/evo-laguna/laguna2.mov

Barfly
11-15-2006, 12:51 PM
eh.. quicktime.. divx took too long.

both following barfly.. first one at the end of session.. second one at the beginning.. not a lot to see.

right click.. save as..

76 meg - 3:45 - http://ryan.midnight.net/car/evo-laguna/laguna1.mov

104 meg - 7:28 - http://ryan.midnight.net/car/evo-laguna/laguna2.mov

Nice vids. Thanks for the post.

I'm overbraking. I think it stems from when I was running about a 1/2 inch toe out on the right and burnt through $2k worth of tires (right front) over 2 weekends. Before I was pushing harder with corner entry and I was willing to scrub a little speed with my tires, but now I tend to overbrake and my tires are lasting longer, but my brake system is getting toasted. I need to find a better balance.

Thanks again. O0