PDA

View Full Version : EVERYTHING ABOUT TEIN SPRINGS (and how bad they are) IN HERE!!!

Ralliartpnoi
08-29-2004, 07:11 AM
anybody using the Tein S-Tech springs with stock dampners? id love to hear some feedback on them?

Tarmac02
08-29-2004, 11:01 AM
wasn't there a chart on here somewhere with spring rates?...

I think the S-Techs might be a bit softer than stock... which would defeat the purpose of your RS

Ralliartpnoi
08-29-2004, 11:47 PM
crap i had the front and rear spring rates of the the s-tech's somewhere, whats the stock spring rates btw?

moogle
08-30-2004, 12:46 AM
@ 1st the s-tech sucked! It was very good @ making it loook nice and through my butt dyno it felt a bit faster on the straight 1/4 "cuz of center gravity" but its not that great @ the turns. I had it track allign "semi-aggresive" to fix that problem. Its better than stock springs but you have to get it allign.

rizalhoo
08-30-2004, 12:49 AM
i got tein s-tech for like almost a year now and got no complaint though about it :) love em! nice drop give nice look also not too low that you'd scrap yo bumper all over..but yeah u gotta take it slow on a bump though :) other than that...its working well for me

Ralliartpnoi
08-31-2004, 05:43 AM
@ 1st the s-tech sucked! It was very good @ making it loook nice and through my butt dyno it felt a bit faster on the straight 1/4 "cuz of center gravity" but its not that great @ the turns. I had it track allign "semi-aggresive" to fix that problem. Its better than stock springs but you have to get it allign.

what kind of alignment do you mean? what is supposed to be adjusted?

moogle
09-04-2004, 02:50 AM
What kind of allignment = tire allign/go to a tire shop.

What is suppose to be adjusted = your cambers, heel, toe.

I feel goku is going to advertise where to go.

GokuSSJ4
09-04-2004, 12:26 PM
What kind of allignment = tire allign/go to a tire shop.

What is suppose to be adjusted = your cambers, heel, toe.

I feel goku is going to advertise where to go.

LOL why ? cause im happy with the results !!
specially when you track the car .
if you are interested in an alignment give John a call at RoadRace Engineering 562-777-1522
or email him for questions and appointments at [email protected]

Boosted
09-04-2004, 05:01 PM
I think mo has the S-techs and I think hes getting coilovers soon you may wanna ask him how he likes them im sure he would be willing to pawn them off to you once he gets his coilovers :P

500whp
09-05-2004, 03:57 PM
s-techs 110 + tax give me a call

mamazcookn
04-13-2005, 12:39 AM
Anyone have them on their car? If you do can you post pics? Thinking of getting 'em

ScoobySteve
04-13-2005, 02:38 PM
I've been running on the H-Techs for about 6 months now, and all I have to say is, it was cool for about 5minutes, then when you hit the corner, your wondering why the fuck you bought them. My advice, is stay away! I say save up for aftermarket struts and shocks like KYB AGX's or Koni's, or just save up for a full blown coilover kit.

AD_LIB
04-13-2005, 03:26 PM
I wasnt a huge fan either...

j_nizzle
04-13-2005, 04:39 PM
never been a tein springs fan...get coilovers, or if you just want springs; i say get the eibach or the hotschick.

mamazcookn
04-13-2005, 05:04 PM
thanks for the advice guys...ill stay away from them haha

dlieu959
04-13-2005, 07:21 PM
my tanabe gf210's are pretty good but could be a little stiffer. Guess i'll have to save up for some kind of coilover system

slow_evo
06-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Will my ride be bumpy if i install the h tech springs on stock struts? Or should I get those too?

Chris in SD
06-17-2005, 12:43 PM
H-Techs are the softy springs... I doubt your ride will be bumpy, more like bouncy. They are designed to be more "comfortable" than stock.

S-Techs are the ones for sport.

genrec
06-17-2005, 12:46 PM
H-Techs are the softy springs... I doubt your ride will be bumpy, more like bouncy. They are designed to be more "comfortable" than stock.

s-tech suk..they will kill your struts....as will most all springs when put on stock struts.....but im a new guy..what do i know 8)

Chris in SD
06-17-2005, 12:48 PM

s-tech suk..they will kill your struts....as will most all springs when put on stock struts.....but im a new guy..what do i know 8)

I didn't say they were good. I am pointing out the difference. To me springs are BS anyway. Either stick with stock or go to coilovers. Don't half-ass things.

Chris in SD
06-17-2005, 12:51 PM
So should i just forget about springs and save up for a coilover kit?

Drive your car for a while before you decide anything. The worst thing you can do is mod it too early before you a) know your car and b) know what you really want out of it.

Trust me on this one...

DTunedEvoX
06-17-2005, 01:13 PM
So should i just forget about springs and save up for a coilover kit?

Drive your car for a while before you decide anything. The worst thing you can do is mod it too early before you a) know your car and b) know what you really want out of it.

Trust me on this one...

I agree ... Out the box the EVO is one of the best handling cars and they did a superb job with its engineering for it ... :o

slow_evo
06-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Ok cool. Thanks guys.

leaveit2bevo
06-17-2005, 02:16 PM
H-Techs are the softy springs... I doubt your ride will be bumpy, more like bouncy. Â*They are designed to be more "comfortable" than stock.

I didn't say they were good. Â*I am pointing out the difference. Â*To me springs are BS anyway. Â*Either stick with stock or go to coilovers. Â*Don't half-ass things.

hksevo8
06-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Without being product specific, let me try to help you. Spring rates are matched for the valving of your strut to match. When you change the spring rate by changing just the springs on the EVO suspension, you will end up with a crappy ride. If you are just looking to lower your car then buy a set of springs, if you want improved performance than buy a set of coilovers. I hope this helps out.

hagakure
06-19-2005, 11:38 AM

I didn't say they were good. I am pointing out the difference. To me springs are BS anyway. Either stick with stock or go to coilovers. Don't half-ass things.

I'm not sure that this is 100% true in every application. I just drove a car with Robi's "robispec" budget set-up, which is not coilovers, but springs, rear bar, some specific bushings, bumpsterr correction, etc....and this car was AMAZING. Every bit as well set up as some evos with high end coilovers that I have driven. turn in is precise, very balanced and nuetral, easier to control with applications of the throttle. I am going with this set-up before my next day at T-hill. I've gone 2:11 there on my works set-up (springs, smaller swaybar, etc...), and I think that robi's set-up is good for 2-3 seconds over what I was running...so, it's not always an absolute.

Percy

DoCoMo
06-19-2005, 01:44 PM
say what you want about springs but hotchkis did a great job
with theirs and matching it for the evo. I said this once b4 and i'll
say it one last time about the spring vs coilover issue:
if your tracking you car everyweekend buy coilovers if ur like
me ur gonna tracking it once or trwice a yr springs will handle that
fine, dont waste money and yes my ride is alittle bumpy but if u want
comfort buy a caddy or a bimmer

RDubya
07-14-2005, 11:44 AM
I went with the Tein springs, I agree coilovers are better but they are beyond my budget right now (Guess I'm a half-ass).

Ride quality is great, and I have yet to experience any adverse handling effects. It eliminated that awful tire/fender gap too.

My only complaint is that the front dropped 0.5 of an inch more than the back.

MrHeeltoe
07-21-2005, 08:55 AM
For me just doing springs has always been one of thoise stepping stone things.

People new to the scene can get freaked out by $1300-$2500 coilovers, and springs are much easier to swallow. Eventually, we all end up learning how dope coilovers really are, and the advantages they have over stock.

RDubya
07-21-2005, 09:30 AM
For me just doing springs has always been one of thoise stepping stone things.

People new to the scene can get freaked out by $1300-$2500 coilovers, and springs are much easier to swallow. Eventually, we all end up learning how dope coilovers really are, and the advantages they have over stock.

Yeah I agree, I had Tein Basics on my 350z and they were awesome..

basik
09-03-2005, 09:26 PM
which basic dampeners do u guys think is better tein or tunabe. im goin 2 buy a set up but i dont now which 2 go with?

dreamevo
09-09-2005, 06:40 PM
I have the tein s-tech, and it kills my front shock. The springs are pretty stiff. Rides ok. Won't recommend for going to track because won't have adequate suspension travel - the drop is like 2inches compared to stock.

bernie_ownz
10-14-2005, 05:32 PM
I was planning on dropping my car with tein s tech springs and it will save me lots of money instead of getting the coilovers..but some people told me to go for coilovers and im lost..i dont know what to do..help me *:D tell me more about springs and coilovers..thanks! O0

j_nizzle
10-14-2005, 06:15 PM
save money and get coilovers....

KRS333
10-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Well I have had my baby for about 6 months & I also would like to have that dropped look.. The stock set up is fine & probably better then aftermarket springs. You should just save for some coils bro.. Do it right. It is not a 15K Honda..

j_nizzle
10-14-2005, 06:45 PM
in all fairness, what do you plan to do with the car?...if the drop is solely for the look, i say springs all the way. that's the route i went and im happy with it. but then again each has his own.

i do plan to upgrade to coilovers though when i can afford another daily driver...

rino
10-14-2005, 07:12 PM
if u go w/springs don't go s-tech. i have it and my front is bowing down to the floor after 1 year. lol :grin:

damn LA roads..

when i upgrade, it's coilover time.

supravital
10-14-2005, 07:30 PM
if all u want is the lowering look i say just get springs..tanabe gf210..but if there is any slight chance you will track it, save up for coilovers....otherwise you will regret it later...

donatevo
10-14-2005, 08:38 PM
I vote for Coilovers!

escabar
10-14-2005, 11:02 PM
back in the day...prob springs made sense...
but w/ technology these days...coilovers are rock solid...

the waiting sucks whether you have the money or not, but I would definitely recommend coilovers...
even my daily driver has coilovers...I even had Tein coilovers put on the missus's car...(she loves em')

Tein for street use...something more aggressive for track use and spirited driving...

thetaxguy
10-15-2005, 06:16 PM
It really depends on what you can afford.

500whp
10-15-2005, 07:08 PM
alwasy coilovers over springs. Just save a little more then buy something much better!

Jeffrey

EvoStevo
10-16-2005, 10:16 PM
I vote for coilovers but my wallet is telling me springs. Is there anyone out there happy with there springs?

j_nizzle
10-16-2005, 10:18 PM
I vote for coilovers but my wallet is telling me springs. Is there anyone out there happy with there springs?

eibach, tein h-techs, hotschiks(sp?) are the choices with good reviews...if you want to go wild and get something else, feel free and tell us how it goes!

EvoStevo
10-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Hey my Nizzle, don't you have eibachs? what is your honest opinion on your set-up?

rino
10-17-2005, 06:24 PM
I tracked my car with s-techs and they held up but I wouldn't recommend them. I've got a picture where my front wheels are deep inside the fender. I'll dig it up and post if i can find it.

OmegaEvo
04-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Ok, so i got this lowering kit for my evo, wow, i hate it. I hit everything. Is there anything out there that will actually make your ride look nice and still handle really well. I hate hitting everything in sight.

genrec
04-09-2006, 09:28 PM
If you would have done your homework before your purchase, you would have known to save your $$ for a nice set of coilovers as a set of lowering springs that are for looks. Start saving.

C-Spec
04-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Espelir GT or ASD, you will be happy. Call robispec.

e.
04-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Cant wait till more "Coil Over" users get’ a hold of this thread....Boy are you in for it!

OmegaEvo
04-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Ok ok, so i f.. messed up. Gonna put the stock ones back on and im saving for a new setup thanks

j_nizzle
04-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Ok ok, so i f.. messed up. Gonna put the stock ones back on and im saving for a new setup thanks

coilovers FTW!!!

gofaster87
04-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Give the guy a break not everyone wants super performance. Sometimes springs will do fine for what the person wants.

OmegaEvo
04-10-2006, 01:23 AM
Thanks im gonna hit up rrc and see what they say, thanks for all the help.

WavMixer
04-10-2006, 02:44 AM
Give the guy a break not everyone wants super performance. Sometimes springs will do fine for what the person wants.
Yeah, if you want an evo that looks great while parked, go for the coil overs. Lots of show cars use them.

OmegaEvo
04-10-2006, 06:56 PM
is there a specific type of coilover any of you use?

leaveit2bevo
04-11-2006, 10:24 AM
is there a specific type of coilover any of you use?

RRC sells a variety of them but now the most common are the muellerized buddy clubs.

Howie
04-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Cut springs FTW!!

leaveit2bevo
04-12-2006, 11:50 PM
How much do they run as in money wise.

www.roadracechassis.com

OmegaEvo
04-13-2006, 01:28 AM
Hey, thanks, i got a hold of rrc and they are gonna call me as soon as they get more anti roll bars. They are gonna do the stage one for me, thanks a lot you guys.

airforce1
04-30-2006, 11:25 PM
thread...back from the dead. Can you show pics of how your s-techs did on the track?

C-Spec
04-30-2006, 11:33 PM
S-Spring are piece of shit. i install the freaking spring without a spring compressor. they are very soft and sag bad. If you have the money go wiht coil over, if you don't goe with Espelir ASD or GT. But hey you're a Capt, so you should have money.
If you have question talk to the expert give Robert a call www.robispec.com O0

Sam Smash
05-01-2006, 03:44 AM
C-spec and Bevo, always the most angry on the site :)
hahaha
Beating up the newbies,

I have a question, Evo or Geo Metro? Geo Metro can get me to work, and is great on gas but people keep telling me that the evo over all will be a better car. Which should I buy?? I will try the metro at the SRT Track day and learn my lesson the hard way :) See you guys on the 12th!!

danEvoIX562
05-02-2006, 06:31 PM
I have IX MR and i was wondering if anyone can tell me what are the future problems i am facing by installing the Tien s-tech lowering springs? Need to know, thank's :mitsu:

TrickedOutEVOVIII
05-02-2006, 07:50 PM
ur basically sucking the life out of your stock struts and its only a matter of time until they go bad, as wiith any lowering spring, or shall i say MOST and i mean 99% of springs. i know you've heard this a million times or have seen it being posted by other...but just save up for some coil overs! :D

i think its better to look stock until you upgrade your suspension the right way rather than damage your struts/allignment etc... but then again, these are only my 2 cents. ur more than welcome to take someone elses!
good luck with your mod path

T

revautousa
05-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Tein S-Tech springs can sometimes be too soft (most Tein is too soft imo.) Thats about the only think I can tell you for now. The quality is GREAT, just too soft.

Macky
05-10-2006, 06:26 PM
s-techs lower the car too much in my opinion. youd take away the fun in your driving since you will be more preoccupied with looking out what you might hit

TrickedOutEVOVIII
05-10-2006, 06:35 PM
i have to admit though, the s-tech drop looks fqin sweet on an evo, but i would never do it!

T