PDA

View Full Version : PDA/Smartphone or Blackberry with AIM?

One Evo Pinay
11-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Okay so I have to switch carriers because I have absolutely no reception in my new apt. I currently have Tmobile -- I am addicted to my sidekick. Since Tmo is the only one that carries sidekicks, I need to buy a new phone WITH AIM. I don't want a regular phone anymore, I just want either a Treo or Blackberry. Which models are AIM capable? I'm trying to do research but I'm getting so confused. I'm hoping there's an Evo owner here who works for a cell phone company or whatever. Help! Thanks!!!

GokuSSJ4
11-08-2006, 09:53 PM
cingular has so many damn phones restricted from using aim, yahoo... and even if they carry it, they still charge you (every IM you send, is like a txt message) ... it sucks!!!
not the best carrier there is....

Miss Evo8
11-08-2006, 09:56 PM
T-mobile> cingular

Ricardon
11-08-2006, 09:59 PM
T-mobile> cingular

No.

speedracer2169
11-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Nextel phones have aim and I think sprint phones do to. I have the blackberry pearl and it has all 4 I'm services but only t mobile carries it. Chances are that if t mobile doesn't work neither will cingular. Which sidekick do you have? Maybe it's only tri band with just one us frequency vs quad like most newer gsm phones

Miss Evo8
11-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Okay so I have to switch carriers because I have absolutely no reception in my new apt.Â* I currently have Tmobile -- I am addicted to my sidekick.Â* Since Tmo is the only one that carries sidekicks, I need to buy a new phone WITH AIM.Â* I don't want a regular phone anymore, I just want either a Treo or Blackberry.Â* Which models are AIM capable?Â* I'm trying to do research but I'm getting so confused.Â* I'm hoping there's an Evo owner here who works for a cell phone company or whatever.Â* Help!Â* Thanks!!!Â*

call Tmo and complain! Tell them your service problem....maybe enough complaints will get them to update their cell sites!

blkside
11-08-2006, 10:30 PM
I have a Blackberry 7105 Aim capable through Tmobile. I love the phone. Its nice getting all your shit... just call and talk to them. Maybe they can do something about it...

One Evo Pinay
11-09-2006, 12:27 AM
Ok I just called Tmobile and they told me that there's nothing they can really do, because the coverage says I'm supposed to have fair signal. I have no reception whatsoever on neither of my phones. The operator told me to try going into my apt with my phone turned off, then turning it back on after a few minutes. If that doesn't work, I'm pretty much screwed with having to cancel my phones -- which is one cancellation fee PER PHONE!!!

And to add to my silly dilemma, I still want a phone that is aim capable that won't charge me for every single im I make. Argh!!!

ultraflip
11-09-2006, 12:34 AM
nokia 7710 ftw... lol

SpdyEvo02
11-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Nokia E61 FTW

ultraflip
11-09-2006, 12:39 AM
http://www.w3.org/2005/Talks/1111-maxf-delhi/telephone.jpg

EVOL EDO
11-09-2006, 12:39 AM
tmobile is the only service that offers anything like the sidekick service with unlimited texts and net, cingular has some nice phones but their internet plans are expensive and you only get like 3000 messages with the most expensive one. and even with cingular you may not get reception if they are still on the same network as tmo in your area. Â*verizon sucks plans suck, nextel and sprint customers are jumping ship because a lot of them complain about reception too. so you are pretty much screwed unless a new cell site gets put up.

ultraflip
11-09-2006, 12:41 AM
http://www.outfittersatellite.com/images/SolarPort_ThurayaCharging_306346.jpg

SpdyEvo02
11-09-2006, 12:43 AM
i have tmobile and i love it unlimited text and unlimited internet acces and i have the Nokia E61

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/spdyevo/nokia_e61.jpg

Senshi
11-09-2006, 12:43 AM
any windows mobile phone you can run agile messenger and you can have anything aim/yahoo/msn/irc its not as slick as the sidekick but the web browser and everything else is a lot better. Also in terms of network coverage every other carrier is better then T-mobile, verizon prob being the best even though they are usually the most expensive.

SpdyEvo02
11-09-2006, 12:46 AM
i have better service with t-mobile and i used to have verizon and sprint. plus my city doesn't allow cell towers so service for everyone is already shity

One Evo Pinay
11-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Darn it looks like I'ma just have to let go of my mobile aim addiction and go cold turkey. My roomie has sprint and she has reception in the apt. I checked the Cingular coverage and it's supposed to be good -- which is a big plus cuz my friend works for Cingular so she can hook me up. I really don't wanna leave Tmobile though just cuz of the early cancellation fee.

One Evo Pinay
11-09-2006, 12:48 AM
any windows mobile phone you can run agile messenger and you can have anything aim/yahoo/msn/irc its not as slick as the sidekick but the web browser and everything else is a lot better. Also in terms of network coverage every other carrier is better then T-mobile, verizon prob being the best even though they are usually the most expensive.

But they would still charge me per message just like a text right?

SpdyEvo02
11-09-2006, 12:52 AM
i use agile messenger and i just bought the program and it only cost me internet use which i have unlimited on my plan

Senshi
11-09-2006, 12:56 AM

But they would still charge me per message just like a text right?

naw you just pay for internet data and everything is included internet browsing, msging and email

One Evo Pinay
11-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Sweet thanks for the help :) I will try this weekend, see what my options are. First I gotta deal with possibly cancelling my 2 phones...

GokuSSJ4
11-09-2006, 10:36 AM
I need to see where in the world you dL the software LOL .. but youre right verizon is one of the best out there.. the bad thing is that it cost a lot of $$$$

GokuSSJ4
11-09-2006, 10:41 AM
an for those that say T mobile FTW! wrong!! try having T mobile in different areas of LA.. you will not have reception at all..
Dont get me wrong, T mobile has the best plans out there (internet, txt messaging and the most minutes) but when it comes down to reception, they suck!
Even with phones like the 7710 ... you dont get reception everywhere.. Cingular for the most part is ok when it comes to reception.. i get better reception with cingular than some of my friends do with T mobile and Spring... its sad that cingular doesnt allow for unlimited data and the internet seems a bit too slow to use on a phone most of the time

Skiracer
11-09-2006, 10:50 AM
If you get the Blackberry package thru Cingular, data is unlimited ($45/month)

GokuSSJ4
11-09-2006, 11:07 AM
If you get the Blackberry package thru Cingular, data is unlimited ($45/month)
i would still check if you get charge for IM on aim .. since data is through the internet and text messaging is completely separate from it.

Unstroked
11-09-2006, 11:14 AM
I am looking to get Verizon's Motorola Q. Yeah, I agree that they are a little expensive, but you get alot with there packages. Does anyone have this phone???

One Evo Pinay
11-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah some carriers charge separately for internet and messaging. Â*

I had Cingular for bout a year, it was okay, this was before they merged with AT&T. Â*Then I switched to Nextel, loved it, had it for over 3 years, but it was getting expensive. Â*So switched to Tmobile and I never really have problems with reception until now :(

Miss Evo8
11-09-2006, 12:01 PM

I had Cingular for bout a year, it was okay, this was before they merged with AT&T. Â*Then I switched to Nextel, loved it, had it for over 3 years, but it was getting expensive. Â*So switched to Tmobile and I never really have problems with reception until now :(

You went the same route I did.. AT&T----->Nextel----> T-Mobile...I have a Sidekick3 and until I started frequenting WLA I never had any complaints about service.. and Cingular service sucks in the same area as T-Mobile

GokuSSJ4
11-09-2006, 12:47 PM

You went the same route I did.. AT&T----->Nextel----> T-Mobile...I have a Sidekick3 and until I started frequenting WLA I never had any complaints about service.. and Cingular service sucks in the same area as T-Mobile

i get better service in certain areas compare to you ... so Cingular OWNZ T mobil in the ghetto LOL

One Evo Pinay
11-09-2006, 12:48 PM
I never had problems with Tmobile and I've lived in the westside for the past 5 years at least. Â*So I shouldn't even bother going for Cingular if Tmobile won't work in my apt?

Senshi
11-09-2006, 04:18 PM
I need to see where in the world you dL the software LOL .. but youre right verizon is one of the best out there.. the bad thing is that it cost a lot of $$$$

http://www.agilemobile.com/downloads.html

i wouldnt get the Motorola Q from what ive see although it looks really cool the reviews everywhere say it sucks, on verizon the bet is the VX6700 or the new balckberry.

GokuSSJ4
11-09-2006, 07:46 PM

http://www.agilemobile.com/downloads.html

i wouldnt get the Motorola Q from what ive see although it looks really cool the reviews everywhere say it sucks, on verizon the bet is the VX6700 or the new balckberry.

any links or reviews on the new blackberry ?

speedracer2169
11-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Couldn't you just forward your calls and just use your comp or laptop for aim? 400 to cancel plus your last bill adds up and you still have to cough up money for a new phone.

speedracer2169
11-09-2006, 09:00 PM
You might wwant to look into a smartphone that has wi fi built into it

One Evo Pinay
11-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Couldn't you just forward your calls and just use your comp or laptop for aim? 400 to cancel plus your last bill adds up and you still have to cough up money for a new phone.

Forward my calls where? Lol I am way too addicted to aim as a result of my sidekick...I haven't used my comp for AIM in forever haha. I found a way to not have to pay my $400 cancellation fee so my only concern now is finding a phone that'll work in my apt....

EVOL EDO
11-09-2006, 09:25 PM
find someone that has cingular, see if it works, then next month the 8525 comes out, supports edge and 3g plus has b/g wifi capability

GokuSSJ4
11-09-2006, 09:35 PM
find someone that has cingular, see if it works, then next month the 8525 comes out, supports edge and 3g plus has b/g wifi capability
by who ? cingular ? ? damn! time to do a search lolll

EVOL EDO
11-09-2006, 09:53 PM
by who ? cingular ? ? damn! time to do a search lolll

thats what my friend that works at cingular told me. was supposed to be this month but the ttc rep told him december

One Evo Pinay
11-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Amit told me I should wait for the 750...

GokuSSJ4
11-09-2006, 10:02 PM
found it.. seen this phone.. the unlock version is made by Qtek
http://www.gsmarena.com/qtek_9600-1588.php
http://i.gsmarena.com/ii/bigpic/qtek-9600.gif

here is the cingular 8525 (an ungrade from the 8125)
http://forum.brighthand.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16640&d=1155912494

EVOL EDO
11-09-2006, 10:59 PM
yeah thats what i meant htc tytn. not ttc my bad

Coolguy949
11-09-2006, 11:52 PM
No carrier right now is going to offer the AIM connectivity you're getting on your sidekick. With any other device you run a client when you're using it. Any loss in service or connectivity you'll get disconnected from the instant messaging service. With the sidekick the device software manages your connection through t-mobile's infrastructure so any loss in service doesnt disconnect you from the service, it just holds your messages. It's very similar to text messaging. The Treo uses a thread-style orientation for text messaging so it looks like an IM. That may be another alternative for you to look in to. Otherwise, if you love the way AIM works on your sidekick or dont like complicated devices I would stick with the sidekick.

Senshi
11-10-2006, 12:22 AM
^^ all very true but i would like to point out that although agile doesnt work as well as the sidekick it also does the thing where it saves the msg even if u disconnect.

One Evo Pinay
11-10-2006, 12:41 AM
Yeah like I said I would LOVE to stick with the sidekick however I still don't get reception with neither my Razor nor my Sidekick in my new place. Hence my search for a new carrier and/or phone.

So I went to my apt with someone with Cingular and it works! Yay! So I think I'm gonna hit up Cingular tomorrow and see what I can get. Cingular was my first choice over Verizon and Sprint simply cuz they have cheaper plans and stuff...Plus Amit offered to help hehe :)

indianevodriver
11-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Amit told me I should wait for the 750...

Did you find out if cingular has decent reception in your house? DOh nevermind you answered my question while i was typing this post. Give me a call tomorrow so i can talk to you about rate plans etc. I will give you the best deal possible. O0

One Evo Pinay
11-10-2006, 12:46 AM
I shall call you tomorrow Amit :-) Cingular ftw!!!!

Unstroked
11-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Are there any good smart phones out there for verizon??? Everyone is saying that the Q sucks...

trinydex
11-10-2006, 12:56 AM
uhm... the xv6700 which i have is the best phone on the market in my opinion. best keyboard, best interface, totally customizable and moddable due to reg hackable windows mobile. touch screen with all the doodads. super extended batteries available and verizon has the best and most expensive unlimited data rate plan.

you can use any version of aim on it since it's windows based but it's probably best to use one of the modded aim clients.

Coolguy949
11-10-2006, 12:56 AM
There's the PPC6700 (i think that's what VZW calls it). However, it's a PDA first and foremost then a phone. It's finicky and meant for power users. You might want to consider the treo.

Unstroked
11-10-2006, 01:01 AM
I guess I am just going to have to take a look into those phones. Are there any other phones that Verizon is coming out with??? Maybe a better Q... I like that phone because its small, decent battery life, and broadband.

Unstroked
11-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Is the blackberry pearl coming out for Verizon???

One Evo Pinay
11-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Isn't the Pearl Tmobile exclusive?

Unstroked
11-10-2006, 01:20 AM
I am trying to do a search on it and for verizon's line up (on infosync's website) its going to be availiable. Can anyone back this up???

GokuSSJ4
11-10-2006, 02:05 AM
Yeah like I said I would LOVE to stick with the sidekick however I still don't get reception with neither my Razor nor my Sidekick in my new place.Â* Hence my search for a new carrier and/or phone.

So I went to my apt with someone with Cingular and it works!Â* Yay!Â* So I think I'm gonna hit up Cingular tomorrow and see what I can get.Â* Cingular was my first choice over Verizon and Sprint simply cuz they have cheaper plans and stuff...Plus Amit offered to help hehe :)

loll like i said, Cingular offers receptions in ghetto areas where T mobile cant be found LOL...
i wonder if aim is available through the new blackberry.,,,, you should at least check it out before committing on purchasing a new phone... or get the Qtek unlocked version that will allow you to use it for either tmobile or cingular.. also keep in mind that t mobile offers a MDa( which has aim, yahoo, etc) and theres an unlocked version (i believe I mate makes it) that you are able to utilize for cingular as well (something for you to look into)
best of luck! O0

Skiracer
11-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Oh, i just noticed that the new RAZR V3 thru Cingular which i recently purchased has Yahoo and AIM messenger services. I didn't try the services since i have no need for IM services on the go.

One Evo Pinay
11-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah like I said I would LOVE to stick with the sidekick however I still don't get reception with neither my Razor nor my Sidekick in my new place. Hence my search for a new carrier and/or phone.

So I went to my apt with someone with Cingular and it works! Yay! So I think I'm gonna hit up Cingular tomorrow and see what I can get. Cingular was my first choice over Verizon and Sprint simply cuz they have cheaper plans and stuff...Plus Amit offered to help hehe :)

loll like i said, Cingular offers receptions in ghetto areas where T mobile cant be found LOL...
i wonder if aim is available through the new blackberry.,,,, you should at least check it out before committing on purchasing a new phone... or get the Qtek unlocked version that will allow you to use it for either tmobile or cingular.. also keep in mind that t mobile offers a MDa( which has aim, yahoo, etc) and theres an unlocked version (i believe I mate makes it) that you are able to utilize for cingular as well (something for you to look into)
best of luck! O0

Yeah I'm gonna see which ones have AIM. I don't really like the MDA though it looks weird to me haha. I do like the new Blackberry too though...

escabar
11-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Cingular and Tmobile share/ride on each other's network in many areas (hence the similar connectivity issues in many areas). At home, my unlocked smartphone shows Cingular as the service provider even though I am w/ Tmobile (I am not charged any xtra).

One Evo Pinay:
There are a few smartphone options for you to look at. I don't know what your preferences are besides AIM (probably color...touchscreen? keyboard since you might message alot...Bluetooth...pretty standard these days...preferably WiFi...3G/Edge for fast browsing - Tmobile due to complete theirs next year...so Cingular will probably piggyback in some areas)...

since you are in WLA...I believe only 2 carriers have descent reception...Verizon...and I forget the other...however the rest of the world uses GSM...if you need to travel overseas..you might reconsider using CDMA like Verizon or Sprint

although HTC Hermes is extremely useful (as others have pointed out)...I also am not convinced about the candy bar form (even though I own a JAM...as large as I wanna go)...my biggest complaint is the wideness factor (Moto Q/Treo is wide even though it is thin)...for me it is awkward to hold/use as a phone...

Other phones for you to possibly consider (that dont look awkward)...Sony-Ericsson P990i (my wife loves her P910i)...HTC Star Trek (if you dont need touch screen and xtremely thin like Razor running Windows Mobile)...HTC Hermes/Wizard variant (I believe a thinner variant due out)...O2 XDA Stealth (very sexy, thinner HTC Wizard slider)...Samsung smartphones... all should have AIM or AIM compatible software...you may have to purchase unlocked from a reputable site or reputable eBay seller...as US lags in smartphone offerings and 3G/Edge/Ev-do network offerings...

sorry for the long rant...but hopefully it gives you and others options...rather than just sticking w/ US hardware offerings...I have been using unlocked smarphones since 2002 (purchased overseas/eBay) w/o any issues on US GSM networks

EVOL EDO
11-10-2006, 12:36 PM
escobar makes good points, the htc is huge. but then again so is the sidekick. so if you want a slim phone thats not one to look at. other than that the htc has 3g, and edge which i have never seen on a phone its usually one or the other. it also has b/g wifi. if you plan to travel an unlocked gsm phone would be your best bet. tmobile and cingular are both gsm. sprint/nextel, and verizon are cdma. most of the world has gsm networks. asia has a few highspeed cdma networks, korea has some nice cdma phones that arnt out here. but with gsm as long is its unlocked you just buy a gsm card and you are good to go. at least to make phone calls. setting up the network settings and addresses for sms/mms/internet still takes some time.

cingular and tmobile share a lot of the same network because thats just how it works. when tmobile started over here they bought time off the cingular network. thats why they are the same network.. they were losing money at first because of their crazy plans and put themselves up for sale but didnt get a reasonable offer. since they started tmobile has bought the cingular network but they are able to still use the network for free until 2008 as part of the agreement i believe. and cingular has bought at&t. cingular put the money from tmobile into the at&t network since it was a better network but needed more cell sites. cingular should be at&t by next year. some retards upstairs figured its a more well known name. tmobiles high speed 3/g network is due out some time next year as well.

i say research a little before jumping into another contract or another phone you may hate in 3 months. other than that i hated verizon ever since they were airtouch. but thats more personal opinion.

Senshi
11-10-2006, 01:11 PM
There's the PPC6700 (i think that's what VZW calls it). However, it's a PDA first and foremost then a phone. It's finicky and meant for power users. You might want to consider the treo.

the new treo on verizon also runs window mobile so unless your talking about the palm version its not that much different then the 6700 except it has a smaller screen and keyboard for non power users i would more recommend a blackberry though im not sure about its aim client.

One Evo Pinay
11-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Only reason why I'm favoring a Treo over the Blackberry is for the looks hahaha. Silly I know but that's me :P

trinydex
11-10-2006, 05:07 PM
everyone that has a treo and goes to an xv6700 never goes back.

One Evo Pinay
11-10-2006, 07:11 PM
The xv6700 looks pretty cool too, I didn't even think about that one...

Senshi
11-10-2006, 07:31 PM
^^ if you ever make it out to one of the WLA meets im sure your welcome to play with somebodys a few of us have them.

One Evo Pinay
11-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Yeah that reminds me I haven't been to a WLA meet since like last year or something lol.

trinydex
11-10-2006, 08:49 PM
dude... everyone at the wla meet has one hahahaha

GokuSSJ4
11-10-2006, 09:17 PM
dude... everyone at the wla meet has one hahahaha
LOL
this phone is similar to what Cingular and T mobile offer as well (nothing special)
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/image/phones/XV6700.jpg

phones like the 8125, or the MDA (or the unlocked verison of the i mate)can do the same features as well... even tho verizon is the most expensive from all three carriers...
IMO i would wait for the new phone to come out (like mention before)if one of these is something that you are considering...

Senshi
11-10-2006, 11:13 PM
of course verizon also has the best reseption and the fastest internet but yea other then that they are the same.

GokuSSJ4
11-11-2006, 04:37 AM
of course verizon also has the best reseption and the fastest internet but yea other then that they are the same.
they sure do! never have argue that point of view.. the problem that it also cost a lot more compare to other phone companies

trinydex
11-11-2006, 04:50 AM
verizon pwns game over good game.

GokuSSJ4
11-12-2006, 12:56 AM
verizon pwns game over good game.
too $$$$ to play with verizon... besides you have other options out there... whether you think of it or not...
good day sir ! ahhahahah!

trinydex
11-12-2006, 01:32 AM
other options don't give as good of service. unfortunate but true.

GokuSSJ4
11-12-2006, 11:32 AM
other options don't give as good of service. unfortunate but true.
not worth it when you pay in just on line services over 40.00 (like what senshi has) and thats besides minutes, and txt messaging...
thats even more than what i pay for cable at home... i love browsing the internet but not that damn much in order to pay high rates for it...

seskysang
11-12-2006, 05:23 PM
the sidekick and the razr are two phones that are known to have reception problems for tmobile. i have tmobile and use to have a slvr and reception at my house sucked pretty bad, then i bought a unlocked motorola e608i smartphone from taiwan and reception was better. and i juss recently changed my phone to the tmobile dash(htc s620) and reception now is great. i also have unlimited text so i can use aim without paying for an internet data plan. onli thing that sucks is if yoo turn on WI-FI aim will switch over to WI-FI and be super slow if the connection is low. but still it works great for me. i use to have sprint and couldnt get reception at all in certain parts of my house . . .go figure

GokuSSJ4
11-12-2006, 05:32 PM
the sidekick and the razr are two phones that are known to have reception problems for tmobile. i have tmobile and use to have a slvr and reception at my house sucked pretty bad, then i bought a unlocked motorola e608i smartphone from taiwan and reception was better. and i juss recently changed my phone to the tmobile dash(htc s620) and reception now is great. i also have unlimited text so i can use aim without paying for an internet data plan. onli thing that sucks is if yoo turn on WI-FI aim will switch over to WI-FI and be super slow if the connection is low. but still it works great for me. i use to have sprint and couldnt get reception at all in certain parts of my house . . .go figure

the phone makes a difference... go figures LOL ...

One Evo Pinay
11-12-2006, 11:37 PM
The slvr sucks dude my cousin has it and it's always messing up on reception etc. Oh well.

I already got my new phone from Cingular, I currently have the Sony Ericcson W810i as a loaner until the new Treo comes out....boy does it feel good to be able to use the phone in my room and not standing by my window near the door or outside on the street lol...

GokuSSJ4
11-13-2006, 12:37 AM
The slvr sucks dude my cousin has it and it's always messing up on reception etc. Oh well.

I already got my new phone from Cingular, I currently have the Sony Ericcson W810i as a loaner until the new Treo comes out....boy does it feel good to be able to use the phone in my room and not standing by my window near the door or outside on the street lol...
loll....

rollo
11-16-2006, 01:29 PM
FWIW there's an app for Palm Treos called Toccer (http://www.atomiccog.com/products/toccer-for-treo/) which works just like a regular AIM client. You need a data plan but it works great for me (I'm on Cingular with a Treo 650..).

Unstroked
11-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Has anyone seen that new Samsung phone for Cingualr??? Its called the Blackjack. I just saw a commercial on it last night. It looks like the Moto Q but its in black. I think its sweet...

11-26-2006, 11:52 AM
i have a treo 650. i have a program in it that lets you use aim, yahooim, msn, icq. if you need a used treo 650 let me know. its in great condition with box and everything else that comes with the phone.

ArcticHaze
11-27-2006, 04:11 AM
Has anyone seen that new Samsung phone for Cingualr??? Its called the Blackjack. I just saw a commercial on it last night. It looks like the Moto Q but its in black. I think its sweet...

I got it for free... actually 2 year contract renewal.

indianevodriver
11-27-2006, 07:49 PM
How did you pull off getting a black jack for free?