PDA

View Full Version : INTERCOOLER PIPE HOSE BLEW SLIPPED OR POPPED OFF

Howie
08-03-2004, 11:05 PM
I was driving home on the 55 today.... and right after i passed the 5..... i hear a BOOM/POP! type of sound and i feel something hit my firewall. Â*Immediately My boost drops to ZERO vacumm (not negative) and my throttle inputs no longer have any affect. Â*The engine is on, but the throttle doesn't work, so I limp my way over from the fastlane to the right hand shoulder.

I immediately start checking my boost connections (i put a new bov in on sat so i thought that was the culprit), but everything looked fine. Â*I continue to search for the problem, check for leaks etc... nothing.

I try to start it up, and the engine turns on... but it doesnt idle.. just dies. Â*So after about 15 minutes, a tow truck comes and the guy comes to take a look at it with me. Â*Turns out the freakin braided intercooler hose POPPED OFF the damn INTAKE MANIFOLD!! (I didn't notice this!). Â*WTF?!! that is a HUGE tube and I dunno how it came off. Â*

The worst part is... when I was standing over my car tryin to fix it... damn lowered civics and integras would drive by and rev at me! punks.. they are Â*too skurred to pull that shit when I see them on the road!!!

so ya... check your connections often!

NRG
08-03-2004, 11:11 PM
This is very common for the Evo 8......Happened to me 3-4 times already.....Best solution is to either upgrade your clamps to T-Bolts or just get new silicon couplers for the connections...

Howie
08-03-2004, 11:15 PM
This is very common for the Evo 8......Happened to me 3-4 times already.....Best solution is to either upgrade your clamps to T-Bolts or just get new silicon couplers for the connections...

Are you serious?! damn... has this happened to anybody else?

Chris in SD
08-04-2004, 07:07 AM
There are several long threads about it on EvoM. Either keep your stock piping with silicone connectors or get some hardpipes...

Justin1933
08-04-2004, 07:57 AM
That happened to me a couple of days ago on the 5 and Jamboree....I had the same reaction...Luckily I figured it out before I called the tow truck...I had to limp to a hardware store, since i didn't have a screw driver.....

GokuSSJ4
08-04-2004, 08:20 AM
i believe it happen to Dino and Rob as well, at one of the track days. Just make sure you have the right clamps and from time to time check them to make sure nothing is loose.

Coolguy949
08-04-2004, 09:35 AM
On my black evo it happened to be about 50 times. I went to RRE and bought a t clamp for $8 but never had a chance to put it in because of my accident. I never had a problem being stranded as I always have tools in my car.

Happened at streets of willow when Neil was driving my car. He limped all the way back to the hot pits.

kipper215
08-04-2004, 10:32 AM
happen to me too. i had roadside assistance tow me to a dealer and i found the problem myself. if you don't want to spend the ends. just check on the clamp once in awhile to make sure it's tight. :wink:

Blak94GSX
08-04-2004, 11:14 AM
A couple of tips. Try aerosol hairspray on the connections, the cheaper the better. It sort of glues it on, yet can still be removed when you need to. The other is if you are in a bad spot and can't get the damn pipe back on no matter what, you can unplug the electrical connector at the MAF and the car will run poorly, but well enough to get home typically. Just have to be creative with the throttle to keep it running.

After you get it fixed, reconnect the MAF connector and reset the ECU by pulling the yellow fuseholder, located in the fusebox under the hood by the driver's strut top, up about an inch and then reinserting after about 20 seconds, with the key OFF.

drmosh
08-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Yeap, happened in the middle of the time trials at the first EOC event. Especially if yer running 100+ octane with higher boost... you will blow it, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Blak94GSX
08-04-2004, 03:15 PM
cant that affect the MAF thats why they make sealents that specifically dont effect meetering equipment

You won't be using the hairspray anywhere near the MAF anyway since you are only concerned with the IC pipes, not the intake pipes to the turbo. It should be okay either way though, provided you don't flood the MAF with hairspray.

moogle
08-04-2004, 03:19 PM
OMG!!! that shit happen like numerous times. I just got a smaller clamp, force that bitch in, and tighten it like a mo fo.

gtinfosys
08-04-2004, 05:28 PM
Mine blew off about 12 miles after buying the car. Started driving up 15 north and blamo, it scares you pretty good when it comes off on the freeway.

Just keep an eye on it and tighten when needed.

dlieu959
08-05-2004, 09:09 PM
happened to me many times before...scared the crap out of me because it all happened on the freeway when it was dark as hell. I tightened it pretty good after that and has never happened again (fingers crossed). Now I always carry some tools in the car.

EvoVIII
08-07-2004, 08:19 AM
hi guys.... umm.. my Evo got into a Big trouble last light as I was driving home from Milpitas to Union City, once I got off 880 and into the Local.. as I accelarate and boost coming in I heard a very weird noise and the car doesn't pull and some how I heard a veeeeeee(like air Leaking) so i let go of the gas, try 1 more time, boost coming in, same sound, and suddenly, my car shaked and stall in the middle of the road and i roll to the side..
I try to start it back up, but it couldn't start, so I keep cranking, started it, and the RPM went up and down for 3-5sec from 100rpm-1000rpm and dead.. same thing as i try starting it over.. so I call my friend for help.. and he got over here, check the coolent, oil, hose, and leaking, but none.. try to start again, load of black smoke coming out from the exhaust, keep on giving gas, but once let go of the gas, car = dead.. so got the toll truck tow it back to a gas station..
here is the question, what could have went wrong with my car???????? I was totally freak out, only got 15000mile on it.... I am thinkin maybe is the Xede, Ecu, Turbo, Throttle Body, or BOV that is causing this trouble.. my car is moded and if I bring it back to the dealer they won't cover it. if any 1 have any idea what happen, please help me out please... thx bros... one thing I wanted to tell you guys is taht I was very sad when I look at the rear view Mirror inside the toll truck, take care of you wife, baby it, don't always push ur car to the limit as it might break down just like mine.. I wouldn't want to see that happening to any of our Evos.. but now for me is too late as my car is aleady dead and need to be tolled..

gt40
08-07-2004, 09:33 AM
ic piping? The car will not run with stock mas if your ic piping popped off.

Good luck

Blak94GSX
08-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Definitely is a loose IC connection (air leak) somewhere after the turbo and before the throttle body. Sometimes it is real hard to find it visually, and you will need to physically check each connection and verify the hose is on tight and the clamp is secure.

If the car isn't drivable enough to get it home, unplug the MAF electrical connector and creative use of the throttle to keep it running should get you home.

slorice
08-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Happened to me and when I got i towed the tow truck driver hooked my car up to the wrong bracket and the whole front end of my car came crashing into the cage on the front of the tow truck. Over 7 gs in damage but the company that Mitsu suggested do the work f-up bad and I am still finding things broke and not connected right. Also my hood has a complexion problem. I think the wind chips it.They said 100% guaranteed but when i complain about the Chips in the hood they say that I must be driving it where a lot of trucks are carrying rocks or a lot of rocks keep chipping the paint. Before the accident I had 10,ooo miles and no blemishes on the hood. Now i have 7ooo more and my hood looks like the clearasil did not take.

drmosh
08-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Sounds like IC piping.

trannb
08-07-2004, 02:58 PM
The fix-all solution for your IC pipe connections is to get t-bolt clamps as Coolguy949 mentioned in the other thread. They're $6 each from RRE. http://www.roadraceengineering.com/hoseandclamps.htm I think you need a total of 10 clamps. Can anyone verify this?

EvoVIII
08-07-2004, 04:31 PM
thanks guys for helping me out, but I am assuming that the Stock FMIC might have failed, the way way bottom of the Intercooler was mashed together causing some boost leak? or maybe is opened up on the bottom of the intercooler, I checked every hose and is fairly secure, I tryed to start it up again this morning it stayed on for about a minute until it dies again, I head there is a strange noise coming from the throttle body, like sometimes is sucking the air in very strong , and sometimes very weak..
I am really assuming neither the FMIC or the throttle body, if it is really the FMIC should get an after market or a stock? or if the throttle body fails, how much is it to get a new 1? :roll:

BuCKxWiLD
08-08-2004, 10:59 AM
hey.. i saw you sitting on the side of the road.. a black evo right??

Howie
08-08-2004, 02:35 PM
hey.. i saw you sitting on the side of the road.. a black evo right??

nah.. white one. I was on the 55... where did you see the black one?

EVO_RPM
08-10-2004, 01:46 PM
What size and how many t-bolt clamps do we need to change all the factory clamps out? It never happend to me yet and I hope it never does if I change out the clamps. Thanks

- Rich

Coolguy949
08-10-2004, 05:29 PM
the throttle body needs a 73-79 clamp you can get those at RRE for like $8 a clamp

the_lude
08-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Hey guys!

In light of my installation spree. I was driving my evo yesterday, when the car woudln't accelerate. I found the problem right away, because it has happened before. I thought I fixed it, but I guess not. My hose connector popped off. It's the connector that connects the hard pipe to the right side of the intercooler (looking from the front of the car). My hose seems to short. The first time I fixed it, I had to adjust my intake and my hard pipe to compensate for the lack of slack. It came off again, so now I'm worried. There's not enough slack on the hose to cover the lip on the intercooler side. Does anybody have a remedy for this problem? Besides taking it off and going back to stock. HAHA! Recommend a hose kit? I know of the samco kit, but are there any else?
Thanks!

BTW: I have the injen intake kit, if this helps with any.

beavis4g63t
08-01-2005, 10:08 AM
find some t bolt clamps. it sounds like your wormdrive clamps are worn out.

the_lude
08-01-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm at work right now. I can try to pick up a clamp on the way home. I'm just worried, because there's not enough hose on the intercooler side. I feel like it's unsafe, which is why I'm looking for a longer piece.

alex_alex
08-01-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm at work right now. I can try to pick up a clamp on the way home. I'm just worried, because there's not enough hose on the intercooler side. I feel like it's unsafe, which is why I'm looking for a longer piece.

theres never enough hose.

gofaster87
08-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Its not unsafe, it will just blow off and you get no more boost.

Blaze
08-01-2005, 02:38 PM
T-bolt clamps are your friends (as mentioned above).

In lue of that, you may want to make certain that you clean the inside of the IC hose as well as the surface your mounting it too. They're probably slightly oily and slipping off because of it.

Another trick I found works is spraying the metal tube lightly with hair spray. Just don't go overboard....k?

Blaze

the_lude
08-01-2005, 10:43 PM
I didn't have a chance to pick up any clamps. I even tried home depot. No luck. I'll try again tomorrow.

Hair spray? Sounds like an idea. You're so smart Blaze. haha.

gofaster87
08-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Roadrace Engineering has the t bolt clamps in stock at a good price.

Mike W
08-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Roadrace Engineering has the t bolt clamps in stock at a good price.

Also just heavy duty regular screw type clamps that work well. Much thicker and heavier than the cheapies that the factory uses. The factory ones are fine as long as you dont touch them ever. Once you take them on and off a few times things start coming apart.

Mike W

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/tweekerparts/clamp-hd-std.jpg

the_lude
08-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Hey Mike

I MIGHT try to come up to RRE on saturday. How much are the clamps? Don't know if I'll bring the evo?? I will be there for sure on the 11th or 12th for some installs.

Skiracer
08-02-2005, 06:41 AM
RRE is not open on weekends. I got the heavy duty screw clamps on my car from RRE and they work like a charm. Here's pricing on their clamps:
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/hoseandclamps.htm

the_lude
08-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Soo..I'm still in need of some clamps. haha.

I'll pick some up soon though. i need to find a longer hose as well. not enough slack dammit.

tarmacBK
08-02-2006, 10:35 AM
hello guys,

I've had my 06 MR for about a month now. Just had my first oil change about a week ago and the car's been

running great.

Here's the thing: last sunday I was cruising on 405 freeway and all the sudden the car stopped responding to

my gas input. So I pulled up to the side had my car towed to the dealership next morning.

It happened to be that throttle body hose/duct came off because of high pressure.

It was a quick fix and I got the car back that morning. But ever since this happened I can't fully trust my car

anymore and moreover the car seems to be louder and not run as smooth as before.

Of course this could all be in my head. but it still bothers me that things like this could happen to almost brand

new car (1600 miles). Has anyone else expreienced this? Is there any permanent damange to the engine?

Thanks in advance.

BK

leaveit2bevo
08-02-2006, 10:38 AM
ya no worries all that happend is you blew an IC hose off that happens all the time, the stock clamps arent strong enough. Your car should run fine unless the dealer didnt tighten the clamp down enough and you have a boost leak but thats unlikely. No damange to the engine. RRE sells heavy duty clamps to keep it from happening again.

blkside
08-02-2006, 10:40 AM
I can tell you if you look through all the evo sites...HOSES POP OFF... now go through any other vehicle forum and you will find problems... Its probably all in your head... just look at it like my car has enough balls to pop hoses.... Tighten them up and if you relax you def will enjoy it more.... The evo is a race car... plain and simple..it makes noise and rattles and has quirks...drive it like you stole it.

Dagul
08-02-2006, 10:43 AM
If you want a little more trust in your car... Replace the stock clamps with the beefer worm drive units that RRE (or eqivilant ) sells... The hose poping off from the TB is fairly common with the stock clamps... The only potential damage is sucking in unfiltered garbage into the motor... But even then, if you pulled over right away, the chance of permanent damage is highly unlikely...

Dmoney
08-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Agreed. I blew my stock intercooler hose at least twice. Replace the clamps with something stronger such as T-bolt clamps. Like Bevo said you should check your clamps again to see if they are snug and not loose. Â*Make sure the hose sit flush and even. and dont over tighten the clamps!

Sam Smash
08-02-2006, 01:13 PM
I also stock the t bolt clamps. I hate this problem, it drives me nutz when tuning a car. Down the 405 high boost and POOF. My luck is that the intercooler pipe that is hardest to reach pops off.

leaveit2bevo
08-02-2006, 02:23 PM
+1 for drive it like you stole it! get hard pipes problem solved plus more WHP import tuner dynoed a set cant remember the brand at +25 TQ at the wheels!

thats bullshit no hard pipe kit is going to give you 25wtq, if it ever happens again and you pull the little plug right behing the maf and limp it somewhere.

drmosh
08-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Happened to me during a couple time trial runs... what a PITA...

It's a fact of life with the evo unless you get better clamps or different pipes.

You'd be lucky to get +1 wtq with hard pipes, don't believe the BS above.

Evolution.VIII
08-07-2006, 03:49 PM
I have some extra t-bolt clamps from when my hose blew off merging onto the 91. I bought them for $3.50 or so. I work off Barranca and Redhill (inbetween the 55 and the 405). If you'd like, we could meet up for lunch or something and I could give you one of the clamps for what I paid for it.

I felt the same way you did until I put the heavy duty clamp on. Then, I got on it a little after replacing the stock clamp and the better throttle response and power made my worries go away. I still check the clamp and tighten it down every now and then, but I don't worry every time like I used to.

I changed 2 of my clamps, the lower clamp near the air box, and the clamp on the throttle body.

PM me if you'd like to work something out.

Michael

evomrguy
08-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Yeah basically what everybody else said. Stop being such a worrier about your car, these things happen. Its probably happened to most everybody at some point or another. Just pick up the heavy duty clamps and make sure your hoses are all the way on and straight when you tighten them down. You can use a little hairspray on the inside of the hoses to make double sure they stay. But you are not going to be having problems with your car once its fixed, its just your imagination.

JOOTZ
08-25-2006, 08:06 PM
on my way home today at a sideroad doing 25+ on second gear,i shift to 3rd and step on the gas,pop then swish and i lose power. the engine did not conk out but runing like badly tuned with smoke coming out of tailpipe,no CEL,did not overheat as i limped it home 2-3 miles in 1st gear cause thats all it would do,if i step on the gas nothing but sputtering,is this the turbo,exhaust(downpipe,catback),or intercooler hose? am having it towed by flatbed to HB tomorrow.any ideas before i bring it to dealership would be greatly appreciated.thanks

MrSparkle
08-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Sounds like an intake pipe popped off...

JOOTZ
08-25-2006, 08:11 PM
it did sound like something burst,and strong odor of metallic something.thanks for the input MrSparkle.

EVOATEYOU
08-25-2006, 08:11 PM
yup, sounds like a charge pipe came off somehwere, check all your pipes and make sure they are still connected

MrSparkle
08-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Np. O0 It happeded to me (once). Since then I check them regularly.

JOOTZ
08-25-2006, 08:21 PM
tried doing that but its too crowded up-front where all the intercooler pipes are,will the MBC(Dejon)set too high have anything to do with this???has anyone have this happen???thanks EVOATEYOU...
is there a resource i could tap that could walk me thru the process?or just bring it to the dealership?

JOOTZ
08-25-2006, 09:36 PM
the upper intercooler pipe came loose,geargrinder walked me through it,fine now except for the SES(service engine soon)light came on,i was kinda expecting that.wondering if i unhook the battery then back on if that will check the SES off.thanks for the input SoCal...

speedracer2169
08-25-2006, 10:05 PM
no wait dont do that. go to autozone and pull the code first then erase at least that way you know what it was for. I had my ic pipe come off many times and never got an ses light

JOOTZ
08-25-2006, 10:09 PM
good advice speedracer2169...will probably just take it to the dealer.

speedracer2169
08-25-2006, 10:15 PM
good advice speedracer2169...will probably just take it to the dealer.

no dont do that. go to autozone and pull the code first. its free and real easy write it down and post it here and then we can tell you ti either unplug the battery and let it reset. sometimes if you drive around the ses light will turn off if the problem was fixed.

speedracer2169
08-25-2006, 10:16 PM
maybe from the drive to your house to autozone the light might come off. dont risk having them give you warranty issues if its something minor O0

CJS-IX-SE
08-26-2006, 06:42 AM
Heh that happened to me on the way home going over the coronado bridge HAHA, I held up traffic for 15 min Luckily I had my SOG multi tool on me haha. tip of advice either upgrade piping or go to t clamps, I will be when I get home from Africa.

Chris.

JOOTZ
08-26-2006, 07:58 AM
i just kept on going for 2-3 miles to homebase,fkn clamps,i was told to upgrade the clamps,thinking bout the whole hose set-up.time zone reason you up early huh???thanks Chris.

ernie

deadbolt
10-20-2006, 11:13 PM
alright soo im driving home and then suddenly my car wont go fast no matter how much im gassing it.. as i gas it i hear as if my intake is sucking in air but i think its because one of my pipes came loose.. i juss got this upper/lower intercooler piping wiht intake from Fujita.. my car smelled a bit when i tried pushing it.. is it juss the pipe came off? let me knoww.. thanks

JOOTZ
10-20-2006, 11:19 PM
this happened to me with the stock IC to the TB
check your hose clamps.
tighten them
if you still using the oem clamps-upgrade
how many miles you ran the car after it happened???

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2664/whybanggp7.gifhttp://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2664/whybanggp7.gif
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2664/whybanggp7.gifhttp://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2664/whybanggp7.gif

deadbolt
10-20-2006, 11:23 PM
well i juss got it installed today and as i was driving home it came off.. and it wouldnt go faster.. what happend to urs? did it end up being the pipes and if so did eveyrthing turn out okay?

JOOTZ
10-20-2006, 11:30 PM
upper IC pipe to the TB clamp was not tight, so it popped off
most sickening sound i heard ,,,ever
drove it 2-3 miles,black soot tailing
reconnected it,idled 5 mins and CEL comes on
lucky a member could pull the code for CEL
ended-up w/ new plugs and Turbonetics clamps
this happened 2nd time before i upgraded the clamps

deadbolt
10-20-2006, 11:38 PM
i looked at them.. they look fine.. but maybee its the pipe that connects to the intercooler?

JOOTZ
10-20-2006, 11:41 PM
everything that got uninstalled to install it
check them all brau

deadbolt
10-20-2006, 11:45 PM
hmmm. i have to go back to SRTmotors in south coast.. cause i left a few things there.. but ill check int he morning.. i live around knotts do u think i could take side streets and make it there if my car is still not running fine?

JOOTZ
10-21-2006, 12:01 AM
hmmm. i have to go back to SRTmotors in south coast.. cause i left a few things there.. but ill check int he morning.. i live around knotts do u think i could take side streets and make it there if my car is still not running fine?

DONT!!!

C-Spec
10-21-2006, 12:43 AM
check all the clamps and use hairspray. O0

smokinevo9
10-21-2006, 01:01 AM
check all the clamps and use hairspray. O0

damn we needed to use some hair spray

trinydex
11-12-2006, 04:25 PM
this thread is for anyone with a question about INTERCOOLER PIPE HOSE BLEW SLIPPED OR POPPED OFF

to fix this problem:

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=26428.0

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=13223.0

the sizes of all t bolts

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=27408.0

mifesto
01-09-2007, 11:56 AM
ya dont be cheap. make it into a personal project to tbolt every IC piping that holds high pressure. :)

mifesto
01-09-2007, 11:57 AM
oops.... i got mine from hightempsilicone.com i got like 6 2.5inch and 1 3 inch for like 30 bucks roughly

IguessNot
01-09-2007, 07:13 PM
i dont understand how so many cars could have this problem and mitsu hasnt had any recalls or attempted to replace those clamps...

JOOTZ
01-09-2007, 07:41 PM
they should issue a recall
however if all the incidents are not reported
then there will be no basis
like i, just fixed it
CEL got fixed by a helpfull member

mifesto
01-10-2007, 09:56 PM
i dont understand how so many cars could have this problem and mitsu hasnt had any recalls or attempted to replace those clamps...

its largely because increasing the boost significantly increases your chance of blowing a pipe. ofcourse increasing boost = no warranty.

ecko_3420
12-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Quick questions guys...Will the evo IX intercooler and piping fit an evo 8? I just damaged my intercooler on my 8 and there is a for sale IX here...Thanks.

alan678
12-02-2007, 06:05 PM
^^^Yes it will....the only difference in the piping is the actual outlet pipe coming off the turbo....the rest of the system is identical...

ecko_3420
12-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks alan...

gtsmax
12-05-2007, 01:28 PM
is anyone know should i change the t-bolt for the intake pipe to the turbo

trinydex
12-05-2007, 04:10 PM
no. that doesn't see pressure.

Johns9
12-13-2007, 12:25 AM
i had the same problem.. just get a better clamp

TBEVO9
12-13-2007, 12:38 AM
I just finished changing all the clamps through out the intercooler system, i spent like 60 bucks on clamps. But the are worth it. Its a bitc* when you get stuck somewhere cuz of a stupid issue. especially if your car is slammed to the ground like mine. I had my piping pop off twice from the intercooler joint and once from the throttle body. Worth sound ever (POOOOOOOFFFFFFFx10000).

littlejap33
12-17-2007, 12:06 AM
tbolt

trinydex
12-17-2007, 12:25 AM
there are 1/2" tbolts available for use on the tbody.

lost0138
01-16-2008, 03:34 PM
IVE HAD MINE POP OFF MABEY 5 OR SO TIMES AND AT LEAST ONCE IN THE OTHER PIPES NEAR THE IC ... it really suks get t bolts and should be no problems ive only had them pop off under wot on the street never the frwy lol

Terenus
01-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Put some hair spray on the inside of the coupling before you put it back on next time.

AWDTURBO
01-17-2008, 04:48 PM
i have some extra t-bolt clamps (6)Â* 2" and (12) 2.5" left $5 each if your interested