PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii outsells PS3 in just one day LOL!

EvolvedMCC
11-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Too funny! GO SONY!!!!!!

http://nexgenwars.com/

tabio42
11-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Well there weren't as many PS3's released as Wii's.

EvolvedMCC
11-19-2006, 11:16 AM
i know but it's just funny. horrible launch for ps3. they are gonna be waaaaaaaaay behind both 360 and wii this generation unless they solve cpu manufacturing problems or cut the prices drastically, which probably won't happen. lol.

Terenus
11-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Xbox had a big advantage for releasing 1 year earlier, so it'll be hard to catch up. PS3's Cell processor yields only about 20% of every wafer, and most don't know what's a typical yield because AMD and Intel never released their numbers. It may seem bad but 20% will just mean 20%.

thisxguy
11-19-2006, 12:08 PM

+1

eh, i dont really care anymore i barely played my ps2 (i bought 3 games when i got it and one after that and my sister bought one)

Terenus
11-19-2006, 12:10 PM

+1

eh, i dont really care anymore i barely played my ps2 (i bought 3 games when i got it and one after that and my sister bought one)

Same here, I care about the evo more than spending over a grand on games.

thisxguy
11-19-2006, 01:05 PM

+1

Same here, I care about the evo more than spending over a grand on games.

+1

you can only have fun with a game in front of a tv...you can have fun with an evo pretty much anywhere it'll fit O0

j_nizzle
11-19-2006, 01:09 PM
lol...i wonder how much people would pay for a regular xbox with 1-year warranty left...if it breaks, you can trade it in for 360 free of charge...

EvolvedMCC
11-19-2006, 01:10 PM
I would definitely spend more money on my car than video games or anything else. It's just satisfying to see Sony fall on their asses. They are too arrogant and cocky, thinking that they are the king of video games when it's actually Nintendo. Go Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!

kcross
11-19-2006, 02:24 PM
hey, jackass. they didn't fail. they completely sold out. that is like saying ferrari failed with the enzo because there are only 400 of the (yes 400, not 399, one more was made) and honda totally kicked their ass with the civic. it isn't comperable.

blkside
11-19-2006, 02:35 PM
EVO> all video games....

evoibad
11-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Pretty sure if everybody waiting in line for the ps3 got one it would have out sold the wii. There were like a hundred people waiting in line event though most places got a max of 30-40 with an exception of a couple. I was smart, reserved mine at gamestop and went in at around 11am and got one. People were looking at me like they were going to jack me. HAHHA.

IXMREVO
11-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Who cares?

Senshi
11-19-2006, 02:56 PM
hey, jackass. they didn't fail. they completely sold out. that is like saying ferrari failed with the enzo because there are only 400 of the (yes 400, not 399, one more was made) and honda totally kicked their ass with the civic. it isn't comperable.

i dont see at as comparable at all im pretty sure sony wants to sell as many PS3s as they can they just really messed up there launch and i think this and them loosing so many exclusives to xbox will drop the playstation to third place. plus after playing for the last few days its kinda dissapointing Gears of War and the Wii are alot more fun then anything on the PS3 even though online Resistance it fun.

wirespeed
11-19-2006, 03:06 PM
just by comparing the Ebay resale prices, it seems that the PS3 has a higher than but the reason the WII outsold the PS3 is because supplies were limited and hard to get. We have to wait for a few months to see who does better

EvolvedMCC
11-19-2006, 05:55 PM

hey jackass, (just returning the favor, though i see no point in you calling me that in the first place) they failed. at first they promised 1 million units at launch. then in the summer they cut it to 400,000. now the actual launch number seems to be about 200-250,000 units. and no shit ferrari didn't fail with the enzo, but at least that car delivers on its promises. in no way is the ps3 the ferrari enzo of game consoles. bottom line: the PS3 launch sucked ass.

Terenus
11-19-2006, 06:15 PM
I have to agree that PS3 launch was a failure. Even before the launch, they had a few games that pulled out because of the problems Sony was having and that's the worst news you can get for any console.

ranmonbu
11-19-2006, 06:28 PM
PS3 is the Evo...People did crazy things...and paid insane amounts to be one of the first to experience it. Wii is the Civic...plenty for everybody...and fun for all...but not in the same league as the PS3 or the Evo...I sell both at work, and don't own either...

Ricardon
11-19-2006, 06:52 PM
It's just satisfying to see Sony fall on their asses.Â* They are too arrogant and cocky, thinking that they are the king of video games when it's actually Nintendo.

Let me preface this by saying that I despise Sony as a company (electronics side of the company anyway).

Now....what I quoted above was about the most laughable statement I have read in a long time. You really are very out of touch with the video game industry if you believe that. I've worked in the video game industry and several friends own development houses. Nintendo? King of video games? Bwaaaaaahhhhhhaahahahahaha. I'll forward them a link to this thread and see how hard they laugh.

Damn, screw the car business...I need to get back into the game industry, it was a total blast. Maybe lolBlizzard needs marketing people again. Or better yet, lolSqaure-Enix.

Terenus
11-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Nintendo has been out of the game for years. Everyone would rank Gamecube the dead last system behind PS2 and Xbox. So they're no "king of video games" anymore. But they are still "king of portable video games".

R3dline
11-19-2006, 07:12 PM
I got my Wii this morning and no camping! So far so good. Zelda and Wii sports kicks arse. I also downloaded the original NES Donkey Kong and Genesi's Alterd Beast.

Senshi
11-19-2006, 07:13 PM
first off saying "PS3 is like an EVO" is an insult, the EVO is so much better then what the PS3 is in the video game world. :buck2:

Nintendo "King of video games" :? def not on the home consoles (as much as i love Nintendo) on the other hand they ridiculously dominate the handheld market and have done so since the launch of the original Gameboy.

Ricardon
11-19-2006, 07:30 PM
The only reason I ever owned any Nintendo console systems was because it was the only way to get Final Fantasy games. I actually owned a super famicom machine (japanese SNES for the nubs) just so I could play those titles. When Sony got those titles, I went with Sony.

Handhelds is a completely different issue. Nintendo simply owns that market. Has for such a long time that I'm not sure if anyone will really be able to unseat them as king of that sector. The Game Gear was the BOMB as far as machines go....shitty shitty titles and thus it went in the toilet. Pops was the lead programmer for David Robinson's basketball game for that system. I constantly haze his ass at Thanksgiving about that title!!!!

Terenus
11-19-2006, 08:19 PM
You forgot to mention all the batteries Game Gear also eats, haha.

Senshi
11-19-2006, 08:22 PM
^^ pff FF fanboy

Gamegear was the shit sonic was great on it, its biggest prob was that it eat through batteries like crazy i remember some games you just couldn't play though on one set, plus it took like 6 of them.

Senshi
11-19-2006, 08:22 PM
fuck alex u posted before me

Terenus
11-19-2006, 08:34 PM
/ninja

^^Rich knows what that means. ;)

Cr0mster
11-19-2006, 08:39 PM
i know but it's just funny. horrible launch for ps3. they are gonna be waaaaaaaaay behind both 360 and wii this generation unless they solve cpu manufacturing problems or cut the prices drastically, which probably won't happen. lol.

I would definitely spend more money on my car than video games or anything else. It's just satisfying to see Sony fall on their asses. They are too arrogant and cocky, thinking that they are the king of video games when it's actually Nintendo. Go Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!

Dude you have no fucking clue what your talking about. Fell on their asses? How do you figure? They sold out their first run. You say they think they are the king of video games? They are until MS or Nintendo sells over 100 million units. If Sony had more available at launch they would have sold. Sony can afford to have a slow launch just based on PS2 sales figures this year alone. Once the systems are there to be bought they will sell out again. I have talked to plenty of developers and they have all told me that while the 360 is easier to make games for, once they have figured out how to utilize the cell processors it will blow the doors off the 360. The Wii is a non factor. Sure it sold well today. At $250 who wouldn't want a overclocked gamecube with motion sensors. I got one myself. It is fun but there is nothing next gen about it. Nintendo has a long way to go get back in the game. A successful launch doesn't make you the winner in the video game wars...

I am going to break it down for you even though I don't think I can get through to a obvious fanboi/hater

First this is something to consider...

Sony has sold over 100 million PS2s. I will let some industry sources back up my words.

In short, Sony's PS2 sales remain remarkably strong, and with recent price cuts trimming the system down to US$129, sales are expected to stay strong throughout the year. Sony has sold more than 100 million PS2s, and this year they can expect to add another three million from the US market alone. The PS2 market isn't "winding down" in any meaningful sense.

In closing, I should note that we caution against putting too much weight on these sales estimates, especially in a comparative sense. The PS2 and the Xbox 360 are at opposite ends of their "console lifecycles," and the two are priced quite far apart as well (e.g., $129 vs. $299, PS2, Xbox 360 Core respectively). We are impressed, however, by the PS2's continually strong sales, even as many gamers turn their eyes towards the next-generation. These sales will help keep Sony strong and stable, even in the face of a disappointing PlayStation 3 launch, should fate take that turn.

We're not suggesting that it will. To the contrary, Sony's track record in this area is hard to bet against, even factoring in the questionable decision to push Blu-ray. As long as PS2 sales remain this strong, Sony can weather bumps in the road, should there be any.

Read the rest here if you want.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060611-7030.html

Never underestimate the power of brand loyalty. Once the systems are out there, Sony will take the lead yet again and never look back. When it happens I will be sure to drag up this post and point out the genius king of video games post you made.

Senshi
11-19-2006, 09:22 PM
for those interested we added a lot to this "discussion" over in the WLA thread.

EvolvedMCC
11-19-2006, 09:23 PM
lol i'm pretty much finished. all i really wanted to say is that this was the worst console launch ever.

O0

EvoPwr
11-19-2006, 09:39 PM
lol i'm pretty much finished. all i really wanted to say is that this was the worst console launch ever.

O0

can you read?

Terenus
11-19-2006, 10:03 PM

O0

Yea, but the way you presented the situation made people think "PS3 sucks overall".

HaVoK23
11-19-2006, 11:33 PM
My homie just picked up the Wii and I gotta say it's reallllly sweet...totally different from the 360 and PS3....
Question is...Would I get one???....Maybe...it's got huge potential at starting something different. Those of u that are sayin no it sucks need to STFU and go try it...cause I was thinkin negative about it myself till I tried it out....

About the PS3 launch....it was a huge failure in my eyes. Sadiest thing ever was to see a kid no old than 8 or 9 walked out crying cause he preorder was sold at the launch. ....Why delay it and say cause it has a glitch and to make more for the launch to still have some recalls in japan cause the system exposes and games don't play. Those that got shot over the damn thing or beat or arrested should sue the shit out of sony for f'in up or something.

EVOL EDO
11-19-2006, 11:46 PM
thats retarded. you cant blame sony for getting shot. thats like suing ferarri for getting carjacked. sony had legitimate problems. from low cell processor yields to to messed up blue laser leds for the blue-ray to overheating systems.

kcross
11-20-2006, 01:51 AM
wow. an 8 or 9 year old crying, thats never happens. its so sad the kid cant get a six hundred dollar electronic device.

all that needs to be said is that sony hands down owns the market. allow me to illustrate...

111.25 million playstation 2

21.2 million gamecubes
24 million xboxs
6 million xbox 360s
4 million wiis (this is being very generous and assuming they sell all of the units they intend to distribute before years end)

now some fancy math.
21.2+24+6+4=55.2
111.25/55.2=2.02

so whats all this mean? if you take sonys last console and compare it to the competitions current and last generation console they are combined outsold 2 to 1.

and just for fun lets do this...

32.93 million nintendo 64s
10.6 million dreamcasts
10 million sega saturns

32.93+10.6+10=53.53
53.53+55.2=108.73

so
111.25-108.73=2.52

therefore we can say that playstation 2 (not even counting playstation) has sold 2.52 million more units than the following combined... xbox360, xbox, wii, gamecube, n64, dreamcast, and saturn... combined.

who is the juggernaut now?

(for the record i prefer pc games.)

Evolution.VIII
11-21-2006, 02:53 PM
I heard Sony is losing their ass selling this system at $600, and that production of the unit with the processor and blue ray drive is $1200. I'll also be listening for recalls and console issues on this system. Before it was released they were reporting consistent freezing and overheating as the blue ray drive, and the processor run very hot. No wonder the system is so huge.

The PS2 did better as the prices dropped over the years. $600 is a decent investment in a home console. Nintendo has some advantages, 1 being a new license with Square Soft, which means more final fantasies on that system, relinquishing the market from Sony (finally), and I can see sports games being much more innovative and fun to play on the Wii than on any other system. Try out Wii sports for free at Gamestop sometime.

Whether they are the most successful or not, they won't be seeing my money until mid to late 2008/early 2009. I'm a GT junkie, and I only own the PS2 to play Gran Turismo. I probably won't buy GT5 until its a greatest hit. That way, I can play the game for a good 5 years until GT6 comes out.

I think Nintendo and Sony both had rough release dates. The lack of accessories for the Wii is annoying, considering you only get 1 full controller, and luck out finding the pieces to make another one if you have any friends you'd like to play games with.

Each system has their strengths and weaknesses. Right now, the PS3 seems to have more weaknesses than the Wii when Price, Availability, and Launch Titles are considered. I also heard that the market won't see PS3s until March 2007.

Poor electronics employees, their going to hear the same questions over and over and over again.

Ricardon
11-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Consoles have always been a big, and I mean big, loser profit wise on the front end. They cost significantly more to produce than the retail pricetag they carry. Now, your mouths would drop to the floor if you knew what the profit margins are on the games.

And yeah, PC games are better than any console woooot!

The Wii is ridiculous amounts of fun...but I think the whole novelty of the interface will wear off very fast. I think that people are going to fall back into the "I just wanna pick up a controler and shoot stuff, I don't need to work out my lats and triceps today". God I need to find that gif file where it shows the three guys on the couch playing Wii...soooo funny.

Ricardon
11-25-2006, 11:59 AM
FOUND IT!!!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/brp1/WiiMastery.gif

Double post FTW.

Senshi
11-25-2006, 03:06 PM
hahaha yea never let yourself be filmed when you play the Wii although its a huge amount of fun you always look like an idiot. As for the way you play being a novelty maybe but i could see developers getting better and better at using it, for example im about 14h into Zelda and i never get tired playing despite playing it for 1:30-2hs at a time, they just made the movements you need to make (sward fighting) so you dont have to move to much but its still something that def adds to the playing feel.
As for consoles being a big loser profit wise thats true for every console except Nintendo that made profit on every GameCube sold and now every Wii sold. Thats why you don't see Nintendo complaining to much about being in last place and selling less games.

silvery_eagle
11-29-2006, 12:45 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bullshit

**got this link from ninja-flip

Terenus
11-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Sony's new firmware 1.11 crashes PS3s, hahaha.

Senshi
11-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Sony's new firmware 1.11 crashes PS3s, hahaha.

SONY PS3 FTW!!! :2funny:

seskysang
11-30-2006, 02:32 AM
back to the whole 8 year old crying thing . . .i waited at target on launch day for the wii and some 14-15 year old kid came with his mom at 5 in the morning . . .needless to say he didnt get one and started cryin wen he was walkin back to the car . . .if onli i didnt want the wii so much i coulda sold him my ticket and made some extra cash . . .o well

FaLLeNAn9eL
12-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Personally, I think it's pretty hard comparing Nintendo and Sony. They both focus on totally different goals. Nintendo focuses on innovative ways to interface with the system and is more directed towards fun. IE: The touch-screen on the DS and the Wii-Motes. Sony on the other hand is more technical. They focus more on graphics and realism rather than fun. Maybe thats just me. *Shrugs*

Senshi
12-11-2006, 01:24 PM
^^ ofcourse sony hasnt proved themselve so far since every game thats on both 360 and PS3 looks better on the 360. (and this is coming from somebody that owns all 3 systems). I still think its easy to compare the 3 since in the end its all about how much fun you have playing games.

IXMREVO
12-11-2006, 02:48 PM
The companies make there money off of the cames anyways its just like cell phone service. And I dont really like the wii anyways when I used to play video games I wanted to just sit on the couch or lay down all night and play them, if I wanted to move around or be active I went outside and how many people have a huge ass t.v. to play that thing on that are actually intrested in video games?