PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Google Earth and Data Acquisition

Barfly
11-22-2006, 04:18 PM
My GPS software now allows Google Earth overlays. It's interesting as now I can visually see my lines and turn-in points. The overlays aren't always perfect with Google Earth, sometimes they are slightly off, but you can still get the idea of how you entered the corner and correlate that to your split/lap times.

Here is an overlay of WSIR and Streets from past run sessions:

Barfly
11-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Here are various lines through corners 3-5 at WSIR:

Barfly
11-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Here is a line that resulted in one of my faster laptimes at WSIR. It is corner 2 (you can see the cars around the turn):

Terenus
11-22-2006, 04:29 PM
here's my lines!
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9445/mylinesxt5.jpg

Barfly
11-22-2006, 04:31 PM
here's my lines!
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9445/mylinesxt5.jpg

Haha. I bet cutting a few of those corners really helped!

Terenus
11-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Hell yea! I did a a 1:03.45 at SoW!

Richard EVO
11-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Tenerus -

Well that's one way to avoid the high-speed decreasing radius Turn 9.Â* :2funny:

Barfly -

Your lines in 2 and 5 are different than mine, but I take the Omega the way you do. Since you are faster, maybe I should try your line is 2. I am totally stuck on hugging the left side berm all the way around the exit of 5.

Barfly
11-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Barfly -

Your lines in 2 and 5 are different than mine, but I take the Omega the way you do. Since you are faster, maybe I should try your line is 2. I am totally stuck on hugging the left side berm all the way around the exit of 5.

The conventional mindset for the AWD is to hug turn 2, but if you carry more entry speed and let it settle about the middle of the track you will won't have to make up as much speed around the sweeper. The inside of the entry of turn 2 has a dip and can potentially unsettle the car depending on how much speed you are carrying. Also, a larger radius allows more corner speed. I try and carry enough speed off of 2 that it makes me use all of the track at trackout. I have had several instructors make the above points. Bitterman also does the same.

On turn 5, I won't try and run near the berming at 5a or 5b. I will let the car slide a little into 5 and get on the power as early as possible. I have heard of various lines through 5, but as long as you get on the gas as soon as possible and maximize your corner exit speed you will be fine.

I am the most comfortable at WSIR than any of the other tracks. I have tried various lines. I still know that there are 2-3 more seconds to be gained, especially given Dan's 1:29. I think turn 9 is my major weakness at this point, and hopefully with a rollbar installed, I will gain a little added confidence. I also need to get on the power earlier and develop a little better vision through 9.

earlyapex
11-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Nice stuff.

So, whats your GPS and software?

Barfly
11-22-2006, 06:39 PM
So, whats your GPS and software?

I use Driftbox, which uses Vbox technology, to record laptimes, speeds, g-forces, etc. It can also function as a GPS dyno. I use the Driftbox software that comes with it. The unit runs about $750.

Muellerized...
11-22-2006, 08:59 PM
[The conventional mindset for the AWD is to hug turn 2, but if you carry more entry speed and let it settle about the middle of the track you will won't have to make up as much speed around the sweeper. The inside of the entry of turn 2 has a dip and can potentially unsettle the car depending on how much speed you are carrying. Also, a larger radius allows more corner speed. I try and carry enough speed off of 2 that it makes me use all of the track at trackout. I have had several instructors make the above points. Bitterman also does the same.

On turn 5, I won't try and run near the berming at 5a or 5b. I will let the car slide a little into 5 and get on the power as early as possible. I have heard of various lines through 5, but as long as you get on the gas as soon as possible and maximize your corner exit speed you will be fine.

I am the most comfortable at WSIR than any of the other tracks. I have tried various lines. I still know that there are 2-3 more seconds to be gained, especially given Dan's 1:29. I think turn 9 is my major weakness at this point, and hopefully with a rollbar installed, I will gain a little added confidence. I also need to get on the power earlier and develop a little better vision through 9.

Here is a 1:32.9 on 220 treadwear Goodyear street tires, stock evo 8 motor/turbo with usual bolt ons, 21 psi max boost. These are the winning laps from the 2004 OTC, Robi got beat down so bad he had to have Grand Am racer Gene Sigal drive his car cause he was 3+ seconds slower than my times. :knuppel2:

The car does not have much grip due to the street tires... :grin:

Please right click, save target as, thanks.
http://www.muellerized.com/videos/John_Mueller/OTC_2004/Mueller_OTCEVO_WillowSprings.mpeg

Miss Evo8
11-22-2006, 09:04 PM
If my Evo memory serves me correctly John....don't your Evos usually "beat down" all the cars?Â* Â*:?

I Heart "Muellerized" Evos!!!! :smitten:

Miss Evo8
11-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Jason where did you get that unit from?

Barfly
11-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Jason where did you get that unit from?

Info on the unit: http://www.vboxusa.com/driftbox/data.php

Purchased it through: http://www.vboxusa.com/contact.php

Barfly
11-22-2006, 09:38 PM
[The conventional mindset for the AWD is to hug turn 2, but if you carry more entry speed and let it settle about the middle of the track you will won't have to make up as much speed around the sweeper. The inside of the entry of turn 2 has a dip and can potentially unsettle the car depending on how much speed you are carrying. Also, a larger radius allows more corner speed. I try and carry enough speed off of 2 that it makes me use all of the track at trackout. I have had several instructors make the above points. Bitterman also does the same.

Here is a 1:32.9 on 220 treadwear Goodyear street tires, stock evo 8 motor/turbo with usual bolt ons, 21 psi max boost. These are the winning laps from the 2004 OTC, Robi got beat down so bad he had to have Grand Am racer Gene Sigal drive his car cause he was 3+ seconds slower than my times. :knuppel2:

http://www.muellerized.com/videos/John_Mueller/OTC_2004/Mueller_OTCEVO_WillowSprings.mpeg

That's an impressive time on street tires. You were running the motons that are now on my car?

Muellerized...
11-22-2006, 09:48 PM

That's an impressive time on street tires. You were running the motons that are now on my car?

Nope, our proven Muellerized JIC FLTA2s that have served so many people so well in the years since the Evo 8 first came to the states. Motons just make running laps at that speed sooooo much easier. O0

Barfly
11-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Nope, our proven Muellerized JIC FLTA2s that have served so many people so well in the years since the Evo 8 first came to the states. Motons just make running laps at that speed sooooo much easier. O0

Just watched the video (been a while since I had seen it). I liked the one finger salute on the opening lap.

How stiff was your rear sway bar? Your car was rotating almost a little too easy. Or was that just the street tires breaking loose?

Nice driving.Â* O0

Barfly
11-22-2006, 10:57 PM
Barfly -

Jack has a really good write-up here: http://opentrackracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2419

He advocates hugging the inside of 5. John also hugged 5, except the last lap when he hit 5 early and then came off.

Barfly
11-22-2006, 11:15 PM

That's just re-affirmation that I have a lot to learn. Here I thought I was getting better running a 1:32.1, but with RA-1s and motons!!

Miss Evo8
11-23-2006, 03:17 AM
Its always a learing experience going to the track. It is especially so watching John drive.
O0

Senshi
11-23-2006, 03:22 AM
Barfly very cool stuff your data box gets more and more tempting O0

ryan0
11-23-2006, 11:55 AM
These are the winning laps from the 2004 OTC

winning time in your class ;)

although i only beat you by 2 secs over the 3 laps.. and terry and jack spanked us all.

i miss that event.

ryan0
11-23-2006, 11:59 AM
He advocates hugging the inside of 5. John also hugged 5, except the last lap when he hit 5 early and then came off.

it really depends on the car.. but if you can hug it.. it is always the shortest way around the track..

im my other car.. i have to late apex 5 so i can set up for the bounce over the hill.. i didnt get enough laps in the evo to try many things at willow.. except hugging the omega was nice.

trinydex
11-24-2006, 09:22 AM
Here is a line that resulted in one of my faster laptimes at WSIR. It is corner 2 (you can see the cars around the turn):
gradually reeling it in to clip at the super late apex?

Barfly
11-24-2006, 12:11 PM
gradually reeling it in to clip at the super late apex?

I think I passed someone on the inside on that lap, as I didn't track out fully (even though the trackout isn't completely shown).

trinydex
11-24-2006, 12:18 PM
i think that's how john takes it in the vid