PDA

View Full Version : MIVEC Tuning

Blak94GSX
11-23-2006, 01:13 AM
I get a LOT of questions about how to tune the MIVEC table in ECU Flash.Â* I thought I would post some of my tables for those interested.Â* Keep in mind that each car is a little different so you have to move things around a bit to get the best power under the curve, but these pics should make it pretty obvious what the differences are.Â* These are some generalizations I've come up with for an EVO 9 with stock cams (most people).Â* For the Cosworth MIVEC cams that RRE sells there is a slightly different setup, but I haven't tuned enough of these with enough different turbo setups yet to really come up with an average setup for it.

Keep in mind that the fuel and timing tables have to be set up to work with this too, so simply copying this table into your map may not yield the best results, and the usual disclaimers applyÂ* :p

Stock MIVEC table (address 68BD):

http://www.blak94gsx.com/pics/stock_evo_9_mivec.jpg

Stock Turbo with a fully tuned Flash, and the resulting MIVEC settings that go with itÂ* (more aggressive cam movement everywhere pretty much):

http://www.blak94gsx.com/pics/stock_turbo_tuned_evo_9_mivec.jpg

Bigger Turbo with a laggier/higher RPM powerbandÂ* (more aggressive cam movement at the low end for spool and then tapering off on the high end):

http://www.blak94gsx.com/pics/big_turbo_tuned_evo_9_mivec.jpg

Crash
11-23-2006, 11:01 PM
This may be a bit off topic but related. How are the cosworth cams on a stock turbo evo at 21 and 25 psi and 100 octane? i have heard mixed review on cams in general on the ix.

Thank you sir!

Blak94GSX
11-23-2006, 11:04 PM
I like the Cosworth cams. They improve the top end pretty significantly. Is about the same gain on the 9 as the HKS 272s are for the 8.

GokuSSJ4
11-23-2006, 11:59 PM
I don't think any have springs. The stock springs are real good. You would have to call RRE for pricing and availability.
do you think this things will make power to 8200 rpms ? (keep in mind that this would be with using cossie valvetrain )

Blak94GSX
11-24-2006, 12:00 AM
Not with the stock turbo, but with the RRE GT3076R kit it would work great from 4000-8500.

GokuSSJ4
11-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Not with the stock turbo, but with the RRE GT3076R kit it would work great from 4000-8500.
since this is a Mivec tuning ... how drastic does mivec affect spool on a big turbo ? *cough* 3076r */cough* LOL

Blak94GSX
11-24-2006, 12:06 AM
It is a noticeable improvement over the 8, but you still need to learn how to drive it properly to make best use of the improved powerband...

GokuSSJ4
11-24-2006, 12:11 AM
It is a noticeable improvement over the 8, but you still need to learn how to drive it properly to make best use of the improved powerband...
bah! LOL
well IMO a stroker is call for.. señor scot...
also with the tuning of mivec, question... adding cams do they improve the spool as well ?

Blak94GSX
11-24-2006, 12:13 AM
No the cams don't really improve the spool. Most of the time the spool is worse since the engine flows better. Spool in this case being pressure on the boost gauge. Cams add power everywhere there is boost though, so even at less pressure on the boost gauge the engine is still making good power.

aniki
11-26-2006, 08:14 PM
will the mivec ecu flash allow you to advance or retard the cam angle so severly you damage valves? is this an interference motor in the first place?

earlyapex
11-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Scot did you tune these by looking at power curve changes to see the results?

Blak94GSX
11-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Yeah it is based purely on torque curve. Not really sure how else to do it at this point.

earlyapex
11-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Cool, nice post.

Blak94GSX
11-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Any suggestions are appreciated of course. I'm sure there is room for improvement.

I'm mostly interested in seeing the differences in the settings with different cam profiles. They could be pretty dramatically different due to large variances in the Lobe Center Timing and Lobe Separation between cam profiles.

earlyapex
11-26-2006, 10:32 PM
I actually lost power on the dyno by advancing the Mivec past 6k. It seems like every 9 is different though and I haven't tried past 6k since on any other 9's.

Once the mustangs get back online here in the bay area I will be doing alot more dyno tuning instead of street tuning.