PDA

View Full Version : CHP - New Radar Gun

Unstroked
11-28-2006, 11:57 PM
I was just wondering if anyone else out there is going to watch the report on Channel 4 news tonight at 11 regarding the CHP's new radar gun? From what I saw, they were using it on a bridge and radioing the speeder to a officer down the highway. Is that legal??? So who is going to check it out?

EVOL EDO
11-29-2006, 12:21 AM
it was just a report on lidar. and how they use chase groups to give more tickets. where one guy is on a bridge and they have cars waiting to intercept. nothing new just another retarded news story pretending to be a scoop because they have to make up stories

JDMC-WestEVO
11-29-2006, 12:41 AM
lol +1 its a joke thats y i have a radar detector and normally dont speed

Unstroked
11-29-2006, 08:40 AM
lol +1 its a joke thats y i have a radar detector and normally dont speed

Wait a minute, you not speed??? WTF...

Back on topic, I thought the officer that lidared you would have to be the one that pulls you over and give you your ticket. Doesn't a speeder have the right to request to see the radar gun to prove the speed in which they were clocked???

thisxguy
11-29-2006, 08:44 AM
yeah. but they use the same technique when they use airplanes to catch you...the airplane paces you and then radios ground units, which means that you cant really request to see the spedo on the airplane. lol

JOOTZ
11-29-2006, 08:47 AM
BMUS

Macky
11-29-2006, 09:15 AM
LIDAR has been around for a while. its basically an improved version of LASER. the CHP just happens to be using it smarter and properly this time around and have really began to find ways to counter people with detectors and people who rely on TBDs.

So yes, speeders are fucked. and no, detectors wont help you since by the time you know you're being targeted, they already know you were speeding. its a combination of old technology and new tactics, and unfortunately, there is nothing out there except for laser jammers (which are illegal) that can protect you.

Luxury Broker
11-29-2006, 09:49 AM
so jammers are illegal ... but are they for sale? if so how would chp know you have them? and do they work?

ultraflip
11-29-2006, 09:51 AM
laser jammers are legal... you're just emitting a certain type of light from your vehicle... radar jammers would be fkn with the world... that whole fcc thing and what not...

laser jammers are sometimes built into the higher end radar detectors

as far as radar jammers are concern... you can buy one if you really know where to look.. you couldn't buy one in the u.s. though... have fun with that

Macky
11-29-2006, 10:10 AM
so jammers are illegal ... but are they for sale? if so how would chp know you have them? and do they work?

jammers are for sale, you just need to know where to find them.

as far as the CHP knowing you have jammers, if you get lit up, the new equipment is designed to measure a certain amount of light coming back from the target. if it is being jammed, it will interrupt the wavelength/pulses going back to the emitter, showing that you have a jammer. and if they pull you over (which they eventually will), you are screwed.

Luxury Broker
11-29-2006, 10:25 AM
not up for the felony ... guess the ticket will do.

jojima
11-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Legally speaking, all police officers have "shared knowledge." That just means that whatever facts one cop knows, all cops can be legally assumed to know. So it doesn't matter which particular officer sees you speed, pulls you over, or writes you the ticket.

EVOL EDO
11-29-2006, 11:24 AM
this technique has been used for a while. and no they are not required to show you the gun. nor do they have to tell the truth about how fast your were going which sucks i got a ticket for doing 96 by a cop that was going south on the 5 while i was going north, i was never going over 85 i asked to see the gun and he said he didnt lock it in. i was later told by 3 other cops that they were not required to show their gun. i later lost the tbd and was out 400 bucks with traffic school. also with the plane they dont technically pace you with the plane. its more of an average speed where they time you between marked points.

Macky
11-29-2006, 11:40 AM
its simple really. the best radar detector is common sense. someone once quoted me on that.

leaveit2bevo
11-29-2006, 12:08 PM
laser shifters are legal and can work around 95% of the time if you get the right one, although there expensive. Radar is a lot bigger threat then lidar still. Lidar has problems though, it can only be used stationary and it gets affected by weather conditions.

Macky
11-29-2006, 01:47 PM
i think it is the other way around - LIDAR is more of a threat than radar since radar isnt accurate over a certain distance (i.e. you can argue that it could have been the car next to you that they targeted with the radar) whereas LIDAR is only a few feet wide at a given distance.

leaveit2bevo
11-29-2006, 10:14 PM
I think it will eventually be more of a threat but theres not enough of them out there.

Macky
11-29-2006, 10:16 PM
I think it will eventually be more of a threat but theres not enough of them out there.

true. they only have less than a thousand units spread across CA. only time will tell if they push for it more.

EVOL EDO
11-30-2006, 03:44 AM

true. they only have less than a thousand units spread across CA. only time will tell if they push for it more.

i think they said the chp had something like 250 units in circulation because they cost like 4k each. they also stated one of the benefits was its harder to fight in court because of the narrow beam emitted as opposed to radars wide spectrum beam

SpdyEvo02
11-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Who cares CHP officers are really cool.

givem3youraids
11-30-2006, 10:30 PM
laser jammers are legal... you're just emitting a certain type of light from your vehicle... radar jammers would be fkn with the world... that whole fcc thing and what not...

as far as radar jammers are concern... you can buy one if you really know where to look.. you couldn't buy one in the u.s. though... have fun with that

so if you get caught with a radar jammer anybody know how much trouble you get in?

Macky
11-30-2006, 11:01 PM

so if you get caught with a radar jammer anybody know how much trouble you get in?

i dont think anyone here has the balls to find out. i could give a shit because i dont believe in electronic radar detectors anyway. im a radar detector that doubles as a bullshit detector as well.