PDA

View Full Version : state's (CA) smog check and test only stations are following San Diego's trend

evohoe
12-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I found this information on the MX6 Forums regarding the police conducting sting operations and a lot of survelance to "catch" offenders. Please read http://www.mx6.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-21861.html
Is anyone from San Diego and can confirm if this is true?

rogue04
Be really careful! If the rest of the state's (CA) smog check and test only stations are following San Diego's trend, illegal modifications could get your car impounded and tickets issued for modiefied parts are no longer $10 or $15 fix-it tickets. CARB stickers are important. They could save you a lot of hassle with officials. Here's the story:

San Diego's police department has a special "Drag Force" or "Drag Net Force" that specializes in fighting illegal street drag racing or other street racing. This includes picking off vehicles that may have modified intakes, exhuast systems, etc. The police conduct sting operations and a lot of survelance to "catch" offenders. Several times in the past 6 months, large scale raids were held at the street races and even visits to racers' homes to arrest people. The big raids involve several flat bed trailers and vehicle transport trucks to impound vehicles and buses to haul racers and spectators alike to jail. Cops take pictures of vehicles they pull over and ticket for modified parts to file into an archive with the police department. As mentioned before, tickets issued for modified parts are no longer just "fix-it" tickets...they stay on your record just like a moving violation citation. They might even cite a moving violation WITH the use of modified parts. Now you've got a ticket(s), traffic school and a big headache. Listen to the next part...a second violation of having a modified part(s) could automatically get the vehicle impounded for 30 days, all at the owner/driver's expense. A third offense of the same violation could possibly mean: bye bye car forever! Now about smog check and test only stations. Many of the sites are independentlyowned and ran by private parties. San Diego's smog check/test places are slowly being transitioned into being ran with federal employees or supervision. This is because officials found some places passing vehicles illegally: using different cars, falsifying documents, being too easy on the visual inspection... Those sites busted were either shut down or the technicians were removed from their position. I could go on and on but I'm sure you all get my point...be careful.

I may not have all the exact details of the situation but I know what I'm talking about because my friends and I have done the research in the vehicle code books, gone to court to fight tickets, plead guilty to a couple to pay lesser fines, I've personally done a documentary on the street racing scene and I also spoke with a local police officer about procedures, codes, etc...I'm sure people still have their connections, even with police officers but for the general public like myself, be careful. I think San Diego has the most strict enforcement of illegal racing and use of illegal, modified parts. Oh yeah...CARB will let you off the hook so if you have parts that aren't CARB legal (like my Hayame mufflers and HS intake) you could be looking at high fines and losing your ride. I haven't been pulled over and I hope I don't but I've taken preventive measures and I know the details of the penal codes that I could be popped for and I can easily fight off a ticket. Lastly, if you don't already know, you do not have to pop your hood open just because an officer asks but be weary because he or she might be calling in for a search warrant and could bust you another time. .........

ArBizZzLe
12-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Got a ref ticket just the other day. Was minding my own business doing under the speed limit when I justÂ* happened to run into two bike cops that had already pulled over some poor lady and gave her a ticket.

She took off and these guys dogged the shit outa me as I drove past them. Next thing I know, they follow me into my garage and issue me a ticket for the state ref that says "Smog Certificate Req, car is not operable"

wtf...fucking bullshit. They pulled me over for no fuckign reason, was minding my own business. On top of that, he took like 13-14 pictures of my whole car in my garage. None of the exhaust though, as far as I can remember.

God damn, ok I'm going to stop before I get angry from here at work.

Code on the ticket reads :Â* 27156(b)

evohoe
12-05-2006, 10:48 AM
OHHH! MAN!! THAT'S OUTRAGES!!! :tickedoff:

WOW!! Thats the first I ever heard. I'm sorry you had to go through this my friend. But it is the sad truth whats going out there. Not sure if you can excersize you rights here. Since the car was not operation when they ticketed you in your garage. Does anyone here know if he could of excersized his rights to refused them from taking pictures?

ArBizZzLe
12-05-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm just afraid this asshole is going to see me around town all the time and hassle me. That's the only thing that bothers me.

wj4
12-05-2006, 11:03 AM
I understand that in S.D., they have to take extra steps since the death rate caused by street racing is quite alarming. But taking your car away forever? That's a bit too extreme imo.

And I'm sorry to hear about that, Arbi. That's all you have is the exhaust. I thought it was a low key look for sure. You don't even have tint or wing, lol.

CRX2EVO
12-05-2006, 11:05 AM
you should have closed your garage door

that ticket its a bitch, unless your car is stock

ArBizZzLe
12-05-2006, 11:08 AM
It's automatic, I live in a town house. I got owned lol.

Sr20kidD
12-05-2006, 11:12 AM
yup, i dont think it was legal for them to take pics of the car in your garage. Â*Where you out of your car already?
If you would have closed your garage door they would have needed Â*a search warrant for this.

kimletrim
12-05-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm not worried.

ArBizZzLe
12-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Nope I quickly turned into my garage ( crazy downhill slope ). My front half of my car was in the garage and I heard someone yell BACKUP! I just pulled into my spot and got outa my car and they came in.

:|

tabio42
12-06-2006, 10:03 AM
that blows
Remember that's what the little red cord attached to the rail of your garage door opener is for - pull that and pull the door down with you as you get out :)

caLi4G63
12-13-2006, 11:11 PM
I got a state ref. ticket too and i'm some-what lost as in what to do. From what I've read, if I go to a state ref. they run a test on my car which include a smog check, visual inspection and I think functionality test? I'm "guessing" my car won't pass smog because of the mods I have. When I got the ticket the officer stated I couldn't drive the car on the streets until I went to the state ref.

My fine came out to $475 which is complete bullshit because the officer also said my exhaust was too loud and I showed him the state ref. certificate stating that my exhaust complies with the state's exhaust noise law. Has anyone been in this situation? I'm thinking of just paying the fine but I wonder what will happen next, will I need to smog my car every year? does this stay on my record where cops can see it?

Any help or input is appreciated.

thisxguy
12-13-2006, 11:18 PM
i heard that the cops can enter your house if they're in the process of CHASING you, which means you're running from them (evading arrest or whatever). but if they werent chasing you then IMO they have no right to step onto your property.