PDA

View Full Version : Left Foot Breaking

OmegaEvo
12-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Can someone explain to me the method and purpose of left foot breaking?

DTunedEvoX
12-08-2006, 07:55 AM
WOT, then you control the angle of your car with your left foot ... your not nes lifting off so your wheels will still be rotating pulling you forward. Helps most w/ understeer and also keeps your boost up while breaking ...

kimletrim
12-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Can someone explain to me the method and purpose of left foot breaking?

Why would you want to break your left foot? (touge in cheek)

CJS-IX-SE
12-08-2006, 08:09 AM
i have a heavy left foot lol stop too fast lol

JDMC-WestEVO
12-08-2006, 08:49 AM
in theory would this help in drifting the evo? hope this isnt too off topic but would left foot braking help drifting?

240sxmonster
12-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Yes it would if ur rallying.

Barfly
12-14-2006, 07:54 PM
http://omor.com/STi/archives/2005/10/walter_rohrls_h.html

GokuSSJ4
12-15-2006, 09:54 AM
http://omor.com/STi/archives/2005/10/walter_rohrls_h.html

thank you kind sir!
but for those that are too lazy to click on the link , here you go:

Left Foot Braking
In Front Wheel Drive

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theory:

When driven under acceleration with no brakes applied, a front wheel drive car will understeer when the front wheels are turned. To overcome the understeer, a technique called left foot braking is used to change brake bias (balance) to the rear. By using a combination of throttle and brake you can change from understeer to neutralsteer to oversteer. How does it work? Read on!

Weight Transfer:

Think about this for a second. When you stand on the throttle, which way does your body try to go? Toward the rear wheels! Right? Now what happens when you brake? Your body tried to go forward! This boys and girls is weight transfer! By using the basic rules of weight transfer and a combination of throttle and left foot braking, you can be in control when the unexpected happens on a rally (which always happens)

How Does It Work?

Brake bias in normal street cars is toward the front wheels for safety reasons. If you have ever pulled up your hand brake when turning on a wet road and spun out, you know why they build cars this way. What you did was bias the brakes to the rear, and this is not what Grandma wants in her Buick coming home from the supermarket. But as rally drivers we can use a means of biasing the brakes to the rear. Some of the things that can be done include using a brake bias control valve or installing more powerful brakes on the rear wheels. That works wonderful on a track, but on a rally it's hard to change your brake bias in the middle of a turn that suddenly changes from dry dirt with good grip, to wet slime with no grip.

Enter Left Foot Braking!

Once your have mastered LFB, when the road surface changes, you can change the brake bias by either adding power or brake pressure ( this is also called "modulating"). Example: You are in a turn and the rear of the car starts to slide out more then you want. You could release some brake pressure and increase the throttle. This will change the oversteer to understeer. The reverse is also true. If the turn tightened, you can change to oversteer by increasing brake pressure against the throttle. Also by balancing the brake and throttle you can get a neutralsteer.

Why Does It Work?

A tire has 100% of it's possible traction when it is rolling straight with no braking or acceleration. When you change any of these factors the tires affected will have less available traction and break loose earlier.By applying brake against the throttle in a front wheel drive car, two things happen. One: The front wheels keep turning. And two: The rear wheels try to lock up. If you are in a turn, the back of the car will start to slide toward the outside of the turn. To control or stop the slide, apply less brake and more power ( this changes the oversteer toward understeer and stops the rear wheels from sliding toward the outside of the turn ).

Putting Theory Into Practice:

Let's Give It A Try: Now comes the fun part, driving the car. Find a safe place to practice, a gravel parking lot with no trees will do.( If you live up north and it's Winter, try a frozen lake, this is ideal because everything happens at low speed ). Set up some traffic cones to make a Tee intersection. Now get in your car and practice driving the turn without left foot braking, but try doing the normal braking with your left foot.(What did he say??) Yes, try braking with your left foot! You can't learn to LFB until you train your left leg to brake! If you have never tried using your left leg, your will find it's like trying to write with your left hand if you are right handed. This is very important. Until you can drive doing the braking with your left leg, you can't do LFB. Once you can brake with your left leg, now let's try something new. First think about what you want to do, then start your practice turn. After turning in, apply the brake against the throttle. If you did it right you should feel the rear of the car start to slide to the outside of the turn. When you are pointing in the direction you want to go, let pressure off the brakes and increase the throttle. If you did it right you will be amazed at how the car seemed to pivot on the front wheels. So wipe the silly grin off you face and try it again, and again, until you can start or stop the slide at will. Congratulations, you now know what LFB is!

Practice Makes Perfect:

The first few times you try the exercise above, you will probably find the car slowing down in the turn but not much else. Try using less brake. You will be amazed at how little pressure is needed. Also remember to turn in before you apply the brake.I don't mean try to turn before you have slowed down for the turn, I'm talking about after you have braked and selected the proper gear for the turn, you must let some pressure off the brakes before turning in.After you get bored with just making a left or right, try setting up an "S" turn and play with that until you can keep up your speed through both turns. Remember to treat each turn separate, and lift off the brake and turn in each time. When you have mastered Left Foot Braking you will find that you will have control of your car like you never thought possible! It's both faster and more important safer. So don't get discouraged if it seems impossible to master, keep trying and all of a sudden it will seem easy!

Ed Brennan 1995

Granny Shifter
12-15-2006, 12:35 PM
ahahahaha wetback :2funny:.

500whp
12-22-2006, 01:20 AM
this sounds easy but try to do it before you do it on the track, most people have super heavy left foot on the brake!!

JDMC-WestEVO
12-22-2006, 01:54 AM
i've been doing this lately and it really really helps bring the rear end around a turn :) kinda scary the first few times but u get used to it

NMREJ6
12-22-2006, 02:20 AM
i do left foot braking all the time. Don't ask me why? i just wonderd one day what it would be like and find myself doing all the time now..

I've tried it in turns when the cars but seems to whip out. It controls it nicely.

silvery_eagle
12-22-2006, 08:10 PM
this sounds easy but try to do it before you do it on the track, most people have super heavy left foot on the brake!!

+1
my left foot is super strong lol

Sam Smash
01-17-2007, 03:30 AM
I have mastered this already, now I am training myself in the art of right foot clutching while left foot throttle. This helps when your bored on the track doing 140 through the chicane.

Mister Evo
01-19-2007, 12:07 AM
I have mastered this already, now I am training myself in the art of right foot clutching while left foot throttle. This helps when your bored on the track doing 140 through the chicane.

ROFL... you must have tight pants.

Sam Smash
01-19-2007, 12:09 AM
Nacho Libre pants actually :)

Mucho take it easy!!!!!

JDMC-WestEVO
01-19-2007, 12:11 AM
lol sam is crazy on the track he drove me evo lol

Sam Smash
01-19-2007, 03:18 AM

he drove my not me my...........

mucho ebake and kicking da clutch..................Incarnacio!!!!!!!! Incarnacio... o....

Mister Evo
01-19-2007, 03:42 AM

he drove my not me my...........

mucho ebake and kicking da clutch..................Incarnacio!!!!!!!! Incarnacio... o....

Thanks for clarifying... I just thought he was a pirate.

Sam Smash
01-19-2007, 04:20 AM
this is so much funnier this late at night. I read these at work and think.............what the hell was I typing last night :) hahahaha First thing that popped in my mind when you said pirate was dodge ball and that idiot reading the sentence to me. Arrrrr driving me car he did!!!!!!! Driftn me car around duh corners hahahha I need to go back to sleep.

Mister Evo
01-19-2007, 05:09 AM
this is so much funnier this late at night. I read these at work and think.............what the hell was I typing last night :) hahahaha First thing that popped in my mind when you said pirate was dodge ball and that idiot reading the sentence to me. Arrrrr driving me car he did!!!!!!! Driftn me car around duh corners hahahha I need to go back to sleep.

ROFLMAO You're soo right, man, that visual put me over the top. Especially at this hour trying to keep my eyes open.

GokuSSJ4
01-19-2007, 12:42 PM
LOL freaking Sam, posting at 3am... no wonder !!

RPD_FKTARD
01-19-2007, 12:52 PM
what a nice way to bring the whole thread off topic

bd307
10-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Bump for right foot clutching and left foot throttle!

storm369
10-26-2007, 03:12 PM
I always tend to sometimes stop at stoplights with my left foot :crazy2:. I guess i get bored or lazy and just want to drive my car like a go cart (left foot break right foot for throttle) :mitsu:

white9
10-26-2007, 03:21 PM
I always tend to sometimes stop at stoplights with my left foot :crazy2:. I guess i get bored or lazy and just want to drive my car like a go cart (left foot break right foot for throttle) :mitsu:

+1 i think its because i get to lazy to move my right foot to the brake lol and yes to much pole position for me :] now that its free ^^

Fishy Drift-Evo
11-14-2007, 11:53 AM
this is definitely another good driving technique. and is effective in many applications, however (my own opinion, not to be confused as me talking trash on the topic) there are other techniques that work bettter considering the given driving situation. i have tried this method as well, so i don't give my opinion w/o some sort of sense to what i'm saying. all i'm trying to say is that similar to how we adjust our driving attack from regular city streets to canyon running, so goes the approach we do in our driving habits for the various circumsttances. heel-toe is also good, but once again to some extent itself, giving left-foot braking a much better occasion to shine. so, we should all try to find the points where one is better as a result in order to maximize our driving ability. my $0.02

vortech_g35
11-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Maybe you want to boost brake? I do that with my left foot on the brake :).

leaveit2bevo
11-14-2007, 12:48 PM
this is definitely another good driving technique. and is effective in many applications, however (my own opinion, not to be confused as me talking trash on the topic) there are other techniques that work bettter considering the given driving situation. i have tried this method as well, so i don't give my opinion w/o some sort of sense to what i'm saying. all i'm trying to say is that similar to how we adjust our driving attack from regular city streets to canyon running, so goes the approach we do in our driving habits for the various circumsttances. heel-toe is also good, but once again to some extent itself, giving left-foot braking a much better occasion to shine. so, we should all try to find the points where one is better as a result in order to maximize our driving ability. my $0.02

you would never substitute heal toe for left foot braking... if you have to downshift you would heal toe if you don't left foot brake. Its hard to learn left foot braking unless you have an auto car to drive also. I drove a fucking rental pt cruiser for almost 5 months my left foot is 90% as good as right now.

kinkbmxrydr
11-15-2007, 01:02 AM
i have a heavy left foot lol stop too fast lol

same here!

Fishy Drift-Evo
11-15-2007, 11:58 AM

you would never substitute heal toe for left foot braking... if you have to downshift you would heal toe if you don't left foot brake. Its hard to learn left foot braking unless you have an auto car to drive also. I drove a fucking rental pt cruiser for almost 5 months my left foot is 90% as good as right now.

maybe it's just my preference in driving then. but i do left foot brake for certain occasions only and not the majority. so yeah i see your point.

iBOOST
02-19-2008, 08:07 PM
lol just dont do it

lightfighter
02-20-2008, 10:53 AM
just my 2 cents

left foot braking is a rally technique in that when you approach a corner you keep your foot on the gas while modulating the brakes causing the car to oversteer.

Also ive seen some Australian Super V8 drivers use left foot braking to clutchless shift the cars. something about disengaging and reengaging the transmission through lifting off the gas and using the brakes

wayne
02-22-2008, 02:46 AM

Call me, I am texting with the right hand, shifting with the left, and steering with my forehead. Just like every other driver in socal.

fastkevin
03-12-2008, 09:32 AM
I used to settle the car (not an Evo) by applying a little brake while flat footed entering T2, and 8 at Willow. I'd also cover it the brake with my left foot while in the turn. In these kinds of high-speed turns, once you're commited, you have to stay on the gas, or you'll spin like a mo-fo, and spinning in T8 usually has serious effects. By staying pinned, you're keeping the rearward weight bias, and by lightly applying the brake, you can just settle the suspension down a little. You can play with how the car reacts, by using a proportioning valve, but that's not too common.

ytinu
04-13-2008, 05:00 PM
I was reading this before and decided to try this the other day. OMG hardest thing ever I almost flew out my windshield. Maybe with a little more practice....

wsmc27
04-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Yesterday I rode with Dave Brown (two-time USTCC Champion and multiple Time Attack event winner) in the WORKS time attack car at Sears Point, and he was using some left foot braking to control the car while building boost for the drives OFF the turn. The kaa has a big turbo apparantly, with some big lag as well...he's damn fast and so is the car.

Very interesting.Â* ;)

btw, Sears (Infineon to you young people) is totally bitchin' when going around in a race-prepped 400+ hp Evo with a seasoned race driver.

Totally bitchin'

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!Â* :D

MR. Ev0luti0n
04-13-2008, 08:45 PM
i tried this...
my seat belt almost killed me.. :idiot2:

mrchomponthis
01-05-2010, 09:32 PM
After karting for many years and fomula cars I have left foot breaked any car I have on the track. faster response. Also gets fun heel toe and left foot breaking ;)

ill_take_one
11-21-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm going to try LFB'ing next year...I hope to get it down, even though I think it'll take some time to get used to!

devsol
01-03-2011, 03:41 PM
like every1 said lfb is only good in certain situations. alot of the time ppl miss use it think its going to be kool and all it does is slow you guys down. ppl with turbo cars it helps alot to build boost off turns but first u should understand the turn and nail it with out trying to bb ( brake boost) off the turn. but for sure it does straighten the car out really nicly throught turns. thats just my 2 cents with my experience with lfb.

jebus27
02-25-2011, 12:21 AM
^^^noob!!!

kambodianboi
02-25-2011, 12:31 AM
^^^noob!!!
:smitten: