PDA

View Full Version : removing boost pill and how this affects flashing and bcs

trinydex
12-10-2006, 05:01 PM
I'd like to share some pics that I took of the boost solenoid restrictor pill and it's location just in case there are others who are contemplating going the route that I did with a Jestrtuning IX M1 flash. It was recommended that I remove the restrictor pill after flashing the rom to gain an extra 2psi of boost. I was initially concerned about removing anything on this otherwise stock IX MR but Jestrtuning assured me no harm would come from doing it and that the flash maps were configured to compensate for spikes in boost that others here have reported after they had removed the pill. After a test drive the car feels very strong and pulls very smoothly. I noticed that the boost gauge never went past 1.5 bar as it did before I uninstalled the pill but it did stay at or close to 1.5 a little longer than before. Here's a great write up by a fellow evom member on accessing the boost solenoid: http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=227006&highlight=boost+solenoid

Luckily, I was able to move the air box out of the way enough for me to access the line with the pill in it. I had to gently massage the pill out of the line with needle nose pliers.

This next pic shows the boost solenoid and the connector that the line came off of.

This picture is the pill removed. Just like a doctor removing a slug from a patient.

I'd like to again thank Jestrtuning for their support. I was very paranoid of doing a flash let alone actually removing something from my car. All in all I am very pleased with the results. The car is definitely alive now.

trinydex
12-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Its not necessary to remove both of the pills..

The pill on the vacuum source by the turbo sets the base restriction, around 14-15psi or so.. If you remove it, you will get wastegate pressure which is 10.5psi

The upper pill on the solenoid is the one you can remove that will give you the most control..

Removing both will give you the most range, but may be the most difficult to set up in the ECU..

Trial and error is your friend.. :)

4g63evo05
01-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Is this only for the ix?

alan678
01-27-2007, 11:48 PM
no....the VIII's have them too...

trinydex
01-27-2007, 11:49 PM
nope for all evos

JOOTZ
01-28-2007, 12:09 AM
this however should be done before the tune right trinyDex ?

blkside
01-28-2007, 01:17 AM
Yeah you need to do this before the tune cause if you do it after then you are going to be boosting more than what you had it set at when you tuned it which will run it lean and be muy bad-o for your motor...

trinydex
01-28-2007, 01:22 AM
if you're going to use this to control the boost via stock bcs then you need to do whatever mods to it to do waht you want.

if you want to use mbc then you need to use new line without pills

DrMerl
02-12-2007, 09:17 AM
There is another way that is used in other applications besides the Evo.

Drill the boost pill - if you do a little math or just careful cut and measuring this should yield a bit more boost for street/91oct applications and would allow the ECU control of boost again for atmospheric conditions.

Yea or Nay?

EVOMANIAC
02-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Yea. I am removing my MBC and gonna try and tune the bcs. I will post my findings and results, or lack of.