PDA

View Full Version : Shifting

Muramasa
12-13-2006, 03:01 PM
How do you cure the disease of forgetting which gear your in? Many times I've been in 5th and I forget and I shift to 4th. Some occasions I'm in 6th and I forget and I take it out, thinking theres another gear. -_-"

IS THIS OLD AGE??!!!???!!!??

tanK
12-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Um, try to remember in the general ball park you speed and gear.... I don't really have this problem, but when I'm in 6th I do have the tendency to reach for the shifter to go to 7th, only to be dissappointed that I don't have a 7th gear... I used to do this in my 5spd before trying to shift to 6th :(

NMREJ6
12-13-2006, 11:04 PM
i had that habit when I started to drive a manual when I was 12yrs, but I got over it quick. Try to remember at what speed you like to have each gear in. And go from there.

Muramasa
12-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the advice!

chuckdashi
12-14-2006, 03:12 PM
jay i think your just getting old... lol....

flipbboy03
12-26-2006, 10:04 PM
i do sometimes forget which gear i'm in.. usually on freeways.

andyluk
12-28-2006, 12:56 AM
lol
i've tried to shift from 5th to reverse....obviously it didnt work and made gear grinding....
coz i was too sleepy to forgot my car only got a 5 speed not 6.....damn 8am class....

flipbboy03
12-28-2006, 01:10 AM
ouch! that had to hurt lol.. Car is so sweet i tend to forget either.

Mister Evo
01-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Um, try to remember in the general ball park you speed and gear.... I don't really have this problem, but when I'm in 6th I do have the tendency to reach for the shifter to go to 7th, only to be dissappointed that I don't have a 7th gear... I used to do this in my 5spd before trying to shift to 6th :(

I usually don't have this problem either but +1 on going for 7th gear.

Muramasa
01-19-2007, 02:01 AM
*Sigh* 75-80mph.. from 6th to 4th... as per my last thread -_-"

And funny thing is.. sometimes i get too forgetfuland just a tiny half hearted push and the shifter pops out of gear.. not being forceful and I forget the clutch...

Maybe I need an automagic car?

-_-"

Or I can always get shift Lights!

telling me which gear im in now... ha ha ha..

evolutionrsgod
04-12-2007, 11:13 AM
try some green tea!

oct7th1987
04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
in city driving... i just keep my hand on the shifter.
and on the freeway.. i know im in top gear.

RPD_FKTARD
04-12-2007, 02:06 PM
try an automatic car

tabio42
04-12-2007, 02:18 PM
get a gear indicator

Bueller
04-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Stay away from tracks and racing all together. ;)

hahaV8
04-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Yeah Its happen to me. Sometimes when Im in the freeway I think Im in 4th but Im already on 6th. :uglystupid2:

Bueller
04-15-2007, 10:34 PM
I dont understand how you people forget what gear youre in. I understand when you get older you tend to forget things...but this, i dont get.

darkevo
04-15-2007, 10:41 PM
It happens...especially when I switch between an auto and a stick car alot.Â* Sometimes I find myself trying to shift the auto, and forgeting to shift the stick!!! LOL

Bueller
04-15-2007, 11:20 PM
I luv it when i drive an auto...i do everything wrong at first. :crazy2:

Miss Evo8
04-16-2007, 11:54 AM
When you are in "touch" with your car... you tend not to think about it.. I never look down at my rpms I just LISTEN to my car... the Evo is great that way.. you can HEAR and FEEL what its doing....

Try driving for awhile with the radio off and pay attention to the car.... the engine noise etc...

and BTW how old are you? 80?

GokuSSJ4
04-16-2007, 12:05 PM
*Sigh* 75-80mph.. from 6th to 4th... as per my last thread -_-"

And funny thing is.. sometimes i get too forgetfuland just a tiny half hearted push and the shifter pops out of gear.. not being forceful and I forget the clutch...

Maybe I need an automagic car?

-_-"

Or I can always get shift Lights!

telling me which gear im in now... ha ha ha..
didnt see this till now ...
you have smoke too much marijuana loll you should really consider not driving high while driving your car...

here is some useful info:
http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/marijuana.html
Effects on the Brain

Scientists have learned a great deal about how THC acts in the brain to produce its many effects. When someone smokes marijuana, THC rapidly passes from the lungs into the bloodstream, which carries the chemical to organs throughout the body, including the brain.

In the brain, THC connects to specific sites called cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors; others have few or none. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement4.

The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for long-term marijuana abuse indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term abuse of other major drugs. For example, cannabinoid (THC or synthetic forms of THC) withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system5 and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine6. Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.

Miss Evo8
04-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Tomas I actually think you would benefit from medical marijuana to relieve your stress.... and besides.. it is a plant and all natural... so its good for you!Â* :angel:

and to the OG poster... seriously try driving for say a week with the radio off and window open..pay attention to the things your car is doing .....you can learn a lot about your Evo from just normal everyday driving

ziggity
05-18-2007, 11:02 AM
I was high recently and shifted at 25mph from 3rd to 6th, thinking that would be the perfect gear at that spd/RPMs.. The extreme shuddering woke me up a little bit.

Does everyone else feather the gas a little bit when shifting in the evo? Or do you drop gas completely while clutching?

I dropped gas entirely while clutching in other cars, but they were econo/run of the mill cars with smushy clutches that didn't care. If I try this in the Evo (in any gear except 5th or 6th) it gets pissed. So since I got the car, I'm slipping the clutch into every gear while gassing it somewhat.. this normal? Sorry if this is a nub question, this is my first high-performance car..

CRX2EVO
05-18-2007, 11:35 AM
that's bad for the clutch, you should let off the clutch completely

su37su
06-17-2007, 10:10 PM
I don't have this problem with the evo, but when driving an automatic I usually slam on the brake with my left foot thinking its the clutch when coming to stop, sooo... everyone in the car starts yelling "What the hell is wrong with you".

RPD_FKTARD
06-18-2007, 12:18 PM
quoting from wikipedia, also check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stick_shift

The gear shift is the part of the gearbox which has the shift forks and allows the contact from the driver to the synchronization. Most of the time they are so much like the gear counter plus the reverse gear. And they make it possible to choose the gear (gear ratio) and to switch this in or out. The invention of the gear shift is attributed to Karl Benz.

These are the parts for which it is possible to make an automation. Further these parts can be designed so compact so that it is also possible to build a very modular transmission with less weight. The benefit of the compact build of the shifting is not only the gain of modulation and less weight but also the time during the production and space in the whole drivetrain.

Depending on the space around the whole drivetrain and type of car, for automatisation a hydraulic, pneumatic or electric actuator can be used. For personal cars, a hydraulic or electric actuator is most often used. Further, such a system also needs an electronic application.

amg destroyer
07-04-2007, 02:13 PM
If you seriously can't remember what gear you're in on a constant basis, just get a gear indicator and/or an automatic car ;)