PDA

View Full Version : Help with those who have the Orbital Double Din...

antics22
12-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Hello, new EVO owner here!

For those of you who have the Orbital double din, could you please share with me the instructions on how the HVAC is relocated?Â* Â*I pulled the HVAC out and it doesnt appear to fit below unless modifications are done to the dash brackets.Â* Â*In addition, it seems the 2 manual cables attached to the HVAC seem too short to be re-routed to the lower portion of the dash...

PS,
I don't have the orbital kit yet as they are backordered, but I already installed my double-din HU.Â* Â*In the meantime,Â* I have no HVAC controls in my Evo.

TIA.

DruMMinStUd06
12-19-2006, 11:21 AM
You should have waited until you got the Orbital kit which includes a lower HVAC control face that helps to relocate it. I suggest you put the OEM radio back in if possible.

antics22
12-19-2006, 07:20 PM
You should have waited until you got the Orbital kit which includes a lower HVAC control face that helps to relocate it. I suggest you put the OEM radio back in if possible.

True that, but its really not a big deal since I wanted to test-fit the double din unit and make the harnesses for it so it would plug n' play with the factory harness. I dont mind driving around without the trim pieces, but what i really would like to know is what do the orbital instructions say about the shorter vent cables and the clearance of the HVAC unit at the lower portion of the dash... Anyone? anyone? Just from pictures, I was able to gather that you screw the HVAC from the back of the lower bezel and then, put the whole unit into the dash... but what about the clearance issues? where to cut, bend, sand? etc.

TIA.

jojima
12-19-2006, 09:02 PM
The brackets where the stock lower pocket is mounted need to be bent up towards the radio location according to Orbital's instructions. Once bent out of the way, the AC unit fits. The cables are a stretch, but they DO fit. It's kinda tight, but you can route them and make them fit.

antics22
12-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Thanks Jojima,

Thats exactly what I was asking for. Would you happen to have more detailed instructions on how and where, orbital recommends you start to bend? I dont want to mess up the internals of my dash without clear instructions. BTW, I did look into the lower section and the cables are still far more than just a stretch... Do the instructions that come with the orbital ever mention anything about how to extend those cables??

jojima
12-20-2006, 09:42 AM
The orbital instructions come with a small picture of the brackets bent up.

All you do is bend the two brackets on the sides up towards the top center of the opening. It's pretty straightforward.

As for the cables, i did the install and it did fit. It's pretty tight. Once the AC controls are installed, go under the driver's dash and route the cables. it should be just long enough if you route it the right way.

antics22
12-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks again, I will check it out tonight when I get home from work!

EnginEar
01-11-2007, 01:46 PM
ya, just bend the brackets up. i did it on mine. ive bent mine back and forth. it will still bend back in place.

NRG
10-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Resurrecting this post.....

There are two screws you need to take off before you can bend the brackets back, how did you get them screws off? I tried and tried but my hands just won't fit behind there and even if it did, its hard to get a screwdriver behind there.

Any tips?

jojima
10-22-2007, 03:02 AM
I'm not sure which screws those are. Take a picture and i'll see if i can help.

NRG
10-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Here is the picture of the screws I am talking about.Â* This image is for the left side.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10034/bracket.jpg

jojima
10-22-2007, 05:10 PM
During my install, i took out the glove box and the driver's under dash plastic cover. If you got a stubby screwdriver or a 90 degree ratcheting driver, you can try reaching around from under the steering wheel on the driver's side.

NRG
10-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the clarifications. Now brings me to another question. Why do we have to make new holes on the bracket?? It "seems" my Pioneer Avic Z2 can fit using the factory holes.

DruMMinStUd06
10-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Use the little paper he included to drill new holes...otherwise your HU wont sit correctly and you'll have a bigger gap then you should. Just to let you know...there will be a small gap either on the top or bottom (depends on where you drill the holes) of about 1mm...its normal for a lot of people.

NRG
10-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Ok if I made new holes, then will the bracket still align with the rubber peg in the back for support? Without using the rubber peg it would seem that the unit is too heavy to support on just those 4 screws in the front.

ampdevo
10-24-2007, 08:03 PM
I did my double din conversion using Obital's kit. The left side of the HVAC wont fit unless you bend the metal bracket underneath the original location. In addition, with a little tug, those cables will fit. You just have to attach them closer, pull a little, they have a little give on them, specially the cable that attaches on to the right(hot/cold dial). Also make sure you run the cables below the middle metal brace otherwise it won't fit since the only give a little. Hope that helps.

wayne
02-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Ok if I made new holes, then will the bracket still align with the rubber peg in the back for support? Without using the rubber peg it would seem that the unit is too heavy to support on just those 4 screws in the front.

I chose to redrill holes in the right angle bracket for the radio rather than the panel for that exact reason. The best solution is probably to redrill both the panel to get the height and angle you want. My procedure would be to secure the brackets with one screw in the front centered vertically on the radio on both sides, test fit for height and angle, mark the panel, drill the panel, retest fit, remove radio with bumping the angle, mark and drill the brackets, then install.