PDA

View Full Version : First Upgrades EVO 8

bash
12-22-2006, 10:56 AM
I bought my Evo 8 last week, and im ready for my first upgrades. Id like some feedback, take it easy on me, im formerly a truck guy. Im about to go out and buy these parts today and install today. All suggestions would be helpful, especially if there is an order in which i should install these parts......

RRE Exhaust
Espeiler DP - 180
XS Cat delete
02 housing- 120
cel elim ????? --- 20
Evo 9 BOV- 140
K&N Filter replacement - 56
Header manifold - 100
maybe turbo timer??? -100

:-\

Not planning to upgrade turbo in future, plans are just for some bolt ons, pulley idk..... tune etc... not trying to get wild.

Skiracer
12-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Here's some good staged mods:
http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=9252.0

silvery_eagle
12-22-2006, 11:03 AM
turbo timer is not needed

trinydex
12-22-2006, 11:19 AM
use the order provided in the link above. let me know if you need to talk to some at length about what you wanna do with the car.

v8hater
12-22-2006, 11:21 AM
The last 3 items you listed are not needed. Don't forget to get a MBC or boost guage too.

bash
12-22-2006, 01:27 PM
i thought i would do the header manifold because it is so cheap from my friend he had his stocks ported and polished so no reason to put on aftermarket one, he payed 150, and the k&n intake just saves money from replacing factory paper ones, turbo timer not needed eh ? thought it was a good idea to let it cool down after running car hard ?

i already have boost guage defi came with car. same as temp guage....

bash
12-22-2006, 01:28 PM
and when i said an order, i mean like take off headers then do downpipe etc, the order of installation...

kimletrim
12-22-2006, 01:41 PM
take care of everything under the car first....including fluid changes.

G20
12-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Don't get the header and timer. Save those cash for an MBC and a tune which is a must with all the mods that you're going to get.

Miss Evo8
12-27-2006, 06:05 AM
Fluid changes! And you're missing a MBC...cool that you have some Defi gauges...the turbo timer is a matter of opinion...Tuning Tech cars have them and Dr. Grey has one in his personal car....so I'd get one... just my opinion...you could put heat wrap on your DP...the manifold...turbo etc.. Leave that stuff up to a reputable shop to change for you...and if u do change those things...don't forget the OEM gaskets nuts and bolts!

bash
12-27-2006, 07:02 AM
when you guys say fluid changes what do you mean ?

Miss Evo8
12-28-2006, 07:06 PM
when you guys say fluid changes what do you mean ?

Tranny Transfer case and Diff... its expensive..will run u around 200 at a reputable shop..if your handy you can do it yourself...just make sure you use the proper stuff...there are many threds about what to do..and whatever you do dont use some Pep Boys crap! BG Sync Red line... Mitsu Dia Queen...there might be a sticky on what to use.....

bash
12-28-2006, 07:40 PM
whaaaa.... do i really have to do that after every mod to my car ? that sounds a little weird to be changing those fluids... so far ive done.... megan headers / megan o2 housing, espelir dp, xs cat delete, rre exhaust, drop in filter , and tomorrow is walbro 255 and mbc , then tuesday apexi afc, then reflash..... please advise if im missing something !!!Â* should i get some type of engine management ? future mods will be cams, cam gears , and xs fmic , im not sure what else, not planning on upgrading the turbo for atleast a year.

Skiracer
12-28-2006, 07:48 PM
whaaaa.... do i really have to do that after every mod to my car ? that sounds a little weird to be changing those fluids... so far ive done.... megan headers / megan o2 housing, espelir dp, xs cat delete, rre exhaust, drop in filter , and tomorrow is walbro 255 and mbc , then tuesday apexi afc, then reflash..... please advise if im missing something !!!Â* should i get some type of engine management ? future mods will be cams, cam gears , and xs fmic , im not sure what else, not planning on upgrading the turbo for atleast a year.

AFC and/or reflash will be your engine management.

bash
12-28-2006, 08:10 PM
nooo i mean like a turboxs utec thing... help me out here haha i dont know s***.

mifesto
01-21-2007, 05:54 PM
my bud runs turboxs utec ...dont touch it w/ a 10 foot pole. i mean it works but its a major headache w/ very little bonus over an ecu flash.... plus its alot of $.

bash
01-21-2007, 10:23 PM
whats the benefit to running this over just a custom flash?

GokuSSJ4
01-22-2007, 10:02 PM
whats the benefit to running this over just a custom flash?
the difference between the UTEC system and the flash ?
well the only benefit i can see is being able to have storage for 2 maps.. away from that the flash (via open ecu) can do just about anything any of the piggy backs offer. you can even purchase the cable for 99.00 and use a laptop to store your race map (or map of your choice) when you are ready uploaded via cable from your laptop and youre done!

bash
01-22-2007, 10:48 PM
yeah but i drive weekends only so I couldnt care less about 2 maps, car isnt a daily driver...... so should i just sit happy with my custom flash ?

trinydex
01-23-2007, 12:22 AM
yes

mifesto
01-23-2007, 06:33 AM
well my bud shares his utec pains w/ me often... one of his biggest complain is a lack of a real support for evo's. updates are also sorely needed.