PDA

View Full Version : Braking problems, high speed steering wheel shake, "warped rotors" MEGAMERGE

bcmind
04-04-2005, 03:07 PM
When I hit the brake (not hard) @ around 70mph, the steering wheel start shaking pretty badly....

what could be wrong? Â*

mess up rotor? Â*brake pads need to be change? Â*

Please advise!! :cry:

Absinthe
04-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Pad deposites on your rotors, not a big deal.

ovenmit331
04-04-2005, 03:08 PM
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

bcmind
04-04-2005, 05:00 PM

I hope this is not the case. Only twice i brake it hard to avoid accident... :?

It only happen during high speed (around 70mph)... lower than 50 it's fine.... :roll:

after reading the long article, i still don't know what to do... LOL... :oops:

JakeMate
04-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Follow Stoptech's bedding procedure for your pads. Quite often, this will clean the uneven deposition off your rotors. Sometimes it will take a more aggresive pad than the stock ones. Turning them will also solve the problem.

In the future, drive your car after you wash it, because this can cause uneven brake pad deposition. Also, don't leave your foot on the brake after a long hot stop as this can also cause it especially if your pads/rotors aren't bedded in.

ovenmit331
04-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Follow Stoptech's bedding procedure for your pads. Quite often, this will clean the uneven deposition off your rotors. Sometimes it will take a more aggresive pad than the stock ones. Turning them will also solve the problem.

In the future, drive your car after you wash it, because this can cause uneven brake pad deposition. Also, don't leave your foot on the brake after a long hot stop as this can also cause it especially if your pads/rotors aren't bedded in.

i had the same problem as the original poster (and posted on it a while back. SEARCH!!!) and i did the whole re-bed thing, but to less of a degree than an initial bedding, and it worked. just basically every time i stopped for a week i stopped early and REAL hard, but NO ABS!!!, and then coasted for a while to the light or sign or whatever to let them cool and not deposit material. it eventually went away. now i just try not to hard complete stop with brakes still on. brake early then roll a little...

trinydex
04-10-2005, 04:59 PM

I hope this is not the case. Only twice i brake it hard to avoid accident... :?

It only happen during high speed (around 70mph)... lower than 50 it's fine.... :roll:

after reading the long article, i still don't know what to do... LOL... :oops:

HAHA drive your car harder :]. or at least on occassion... cuz you prolly do a lotta traffic driving or freeway driving (which in socal is the same as traffic driving) and that puts build up on yer rotors. just brake hard and clean it up.

ryan78
09-19-2005, 02:57 PM
hi. it's me again. i just remembered also to ask you guys if you experienced shaking of the steering wheel for a moment while braking in a freeway from probably 70 mph to around 50 mph. my evo does that often. i can say that my 2 front wheels are correctly aligned and balance so why is this happening?

EvoStevo
09-19-2005, 03:01 PM
that happens on my Evo too but around 20 - 30 mph. I'm wondering if its my wheel balance. I recently had my wheels powder coated and the tire shop put the weights inside the wheel instead of out.

hksevo8
09-19-2005, 03:03 PM
it is called warped rotors.

ryan78
09-19-2005, 03:13 PM
thanks

KRS333
09-19-2005, 07:40 PM
it is called warped rotors.

I felt the same thing today at about 50mps but my rotors going out when my car is only 5 months old sounds weird.

jas0n
09-19-2005, 09:42 PM
It's not. I had a friend who thought while washing his car in cold weather with smokes comming out of his rotor was cool. He kept on spraying until it didn't smoke anymore and his rotors warped. It was 2 days old.

the_lude
09-19-2005, 09:53 PM
It's most likely your rotors. Steering wheel shake while driving is most commonly associated with unbalanced wheels/rims.

apexstrafer
09-19-2005, 11:40 PM
you warped your rotors. most likely by either doing what jas0n said or getting them real hot and then sitting at a stoplight with your foot mashed on the brake pedal. both are big no-nos.

Chris in SD
09-20-2005, 06:59 AM
you warped your rotors. most likely by either doing what jas0n said or getting them real hot and then sitting at a stoplight with your foot mashed on the brake pedal. both are big no-nos.

Jeff is teh smart...

You can also get your rotors warped when the "race shop" you go to installs your sexy 2-piece rotors backwards... >:(

KRS333
09-20-2005, 07:27 AM
What is the solution to this besides buying new ones? And can the dealer take a freindy look to make sure they are the rotors?

Chris in SD
09-20-2005, 07:52 AM
What is the solution to this besides buying new ones? And can the dealer take a freindy look to make sure they are the rotors?

The best solution is to get them turned at a brake shop and if possible, install new pads. Whenever you put new rotors on a car, you should also put new pads to bed them together.

the_lude
09-20-2005, 08:41 AM

The best solution is to get them turned at a brake shop and if possible, install new pads.* Whenever you put new rotors on a car, you should also put new pads to bed them together.

++1

Should cost around $15-20. Well..at least for me.

KRS333
09-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Well i just ordered some Hawks HPS just in case my rotors are really warped.. Thanks for the input my peps.

EvoStevo
09-20-2005, 04:50 PM
KRS.. whats the 411 with Hawks hps?

nurb2
09-20-2005, 06:38 PM
I doubt all of you have warped rotors. You probably just have uneven deposits on your rotors. Uneven deposits can happen when your brakes are too hot and you stand on them too long when braking for lights and such, or if you did not bed your pads properly in the first place.

The first thing you should do is simply rebed the pads and see if that fixes the problem.

http://stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinperformance.shtml

If that does not fix you up, you could get a set of very aggressive pads and do the bed-in procedure with those.

http://stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_padremoval.shtml

If you truly have warped rotors, which is possible, then you'll obviously have to resurface or buy new pads and rotors, but you should try the cheapest/easiest fix first and work your way up from there.

Whoever asked about the Hawk HPS ... I have them and think they are slightly better than stock ... less fade, less noise, and much, much less dust.

-nurb2-

hksevo8
09-20-2005, 07:04 PM
The reason I said your rotors are warped is because I had my rotors replaced under warranty because they were warped. The rotors were replaced with less than 10K miles on them. I never tracked my car, I made sure to properly seat/bed the brakes under the break in procedure for any new car.

Just my .02

KRS333
09-20-2005, 07:20 PM
The reason I said your rotors are warped is because I had my rotors replaced under warranty because they were warped.* The rotors were replaced with less than 10K miles on them.* I never tracked my car, I made sure to properly seat/bed the brakes under the break in procedure for any new car.

Just my .02

I will be at HB Monday regarding thr rotors. I have to wait & see what they tell me.

KRS333
09-20-2005, 07:22 PM
KRS.. whats the 411 with Hawks hps?

My man Stevo was up.. Well i bought some just in case. Got them for $138.00 including shipping.. If i do not need them i am pretty sure i can sale them.

KRS333
09-21-2005, 10:27 AM
The reason I said your rotors are warped is because I had my rotors replaced under warranty because they were warped.* The rotors were replaced with less than 10K miles on them.* I never tracked my car, I made sure to properly seat/bed the brakes under the break in procedure for any new car.

Just my .02

Where did you take your car for the warranty? HB will not take mine under warranty.

EvoStevo
09-21-2005, 05:28 PM
KRS333, I'll let HB Mitsu check out my brakes before drop any cash on pads or turning rotors. Holler back at me Sunday if you decide on going to HB Mitsu monday morning.

jas0n
09-21-2005, 09:42 PM

Just my .02

* Where did you take your car for the warranty? HB will not take mine under warranty.

How come they won't take yours?

Chris in SD
09-22-2005, 06:23 AM
Just go to a brake shop and get them turned for $50...

KRS333
09-22-2005, 08:27 AM
Just go to a brake shop and get them turned for $50...

When you really think about it that would be the easiest thing to do. I am getting charged $20.00 to get them turned.. I love HB but I rather save some gas & miles... ;)

ebevo
09-22-2005, 09:58 AM
@nurb2 that's a great link you provided for the bedding-in the brakes

okay so question is i have about 730 miles on my car right now....80% are fwy miles...i hardly get on the brakes since i travel on the opposite direction of traffic

car doesn't shake while braking...but for some reason i feel the evo brakes are not what i expected...compared to my buddies 2004 bimmer 325i...the 325 stops with confidence...kinda of like when the car is braking hard the 325 can go a level further and brake harder without any tire locking or tires squealing and it's all smooth and control..i'm like i know the car behind us can't do that and scares the s!#t out of the driver and they back off and leave more space... for the evo i have to break way earlier or else i'm going to ram into the car in front of me...and it feels like it's a constant steady slow down...without that extra level before activating the ABS or tire squeal..is the way i can describe it

anybody else can explain why am i experiencing this...not complaining...but i thought the evo's had high performance brakes...i feel kinda of embarrassed sometimes when i have to hit the brakes sooner than my buddies 325

any ways after reading that article...how am i going to find an area where i can do 2 sets of 10 rounds of 60 to 10 MPH braking sessions without coming to a complete stop in the OC area?

thinking maybe late night fwy in the number 2 lane with hazard lights on?

how much will this wear out my brake pads...percentage wise?

peace

nurb2
09-22-2005, 08:01 PM
@nurb2 that's a great link you provided for the bedding-in the brakes

okay so question is i have about 730 miles on my car right now....80% are fwy miles...i hardly get on the brakes since i travel on the opposite direction of traffic

car doesn't shake while braking...but for some reason i feel the evo brakes are not what i expected...compared to my buddies 2004 bimmer 325i...the 325 stops with confidence...kinda of like when the car is braking hard the 325 can go a level further and brake harder without any tire locking or tires squealing and it's all smooth and control..i'm like i know the car behind us can't do that and scares the s!#t out of the driver and they back off and leave more space... for the evo i have to break way earlier or else i'm going to ram into the car in front of me...and it feels like it's a constant steady slow down...without that extra level before activating the ABS or tire squeal..is the way i can describe it

anybody else can explain why am i experiencing this...not complaining...but i thought the evo's had high performance brakes...i feel kinda of embarrassed sometimes when i have to hit the brakes sooner than my buddies 325

any ways after reading that article...how am i going to find an area where i can do 2 sets of 10 rounds of 60 to 10 MPH braking sessions without coming to a complete stop in the OC area?

thinking maybe late night fwy in the number 2 lane with hazard lights on?

how much will this wear out my brake pads...percentage wise?

peace

Evo brakes need to heat up pretty good before they work 100%. Once they are up to temp, they bite hard. You can out brake a 325i all day.

To answer your second question, try Edinger @ Red Hill to Jamboree in Tustin. That's where I always do mine.

-nurb2-

ebevo
09-23-2005, 09:53 AM
okay so i guess it's not too late to bed my brakes then...how much of the brake pads does this procedure wear out...% wise?

interesting how you mentioned that once the evo's brakes get warm it bites hard...usually i'm traveling/cruising on the fwy then all of a sudden i have to slow down because of congestion...then 2 mins or so i return to my normal cruising speed...then 15 mins later i exit

guess this explains why i think the evo brakes aren't stopping to their fullest potential

think this will change after a bed the brakes...with the given driving habits i mentioned earlier?

nurb2
09-26-2005, 06:39 PM
okay so i guess it's not too late to bed my brakes then...how much of the brake pads does this procedure wear out...% wise?

interesting how you mentioned that once the evo's brakes get warm it bites hard...usually i'm traveling/cruising on the fwy then all of a sudden i have to slow down because of congestion...then 2 mins or so i return to my normal cruising speed...then 15 mins later i exit

guess this explains why i think the evo brakes aren't stopping to their fullest potential

think this will change after a bed the brakes...with the given driving habits i mentioned earlier?

You can bed the brakes anytime. I doubt it wears out that much pad percentage wise, but the whole point of bedding them is to transfer material to the rotors. It's nothing really when you consider you do much more than that in the canyons. Go down the tight side of Palomar with a purpose and your brakes will glow. :twisted:

You only have 730 or so miles on your car too. The brakes will get better and quieter as time goes on. They still need a certain amount of heat to work 100%. You probably don't apply a whole lot of pressure to them either ... really stick your foot into them hard once or twice and you will see they work well.

-nurb2-

EvoStevo
10-07-2005, 08:32 PM
steering wheel shake is finally gone. HB Mitsu (Chris) resurfaced my rotors under warranty. I asked about my pads .... Chris said they were all good. Thanks HB O0

pjs4x
04-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Below 60mph my car brakes fine. Above 60 mph the steering wheel shakes a lot under braking. Dealer resurfaced my rotors last week and now it is even worse? Would an unbalanced wheel cause this kind of vibration?

jayvolution
04-02-2006, 12:03 PM
sounds like they f'ed up your rotors. i'd bring it back and bitch at them or bring it to a different dealer such as HB :mitsu:. i dont think an unbalanced wheel would do that. you'll notice an unbalanced wheel through tread wear or at high speeds. your steering wheel only shakes during braking thus making it a braking issue.

EvoStevo
04-02-2006, 05:10 PM
I've experienced the same problem twice. I soon as i get some cash i'm upgrading my rotors to slotted or cross drilled. I'm might get Ferodo pads too. Also, HB took care of the problem twice... no questions asked. Quality dealer... the problem just came back.

leaveit2bevo
04-02-2006, 07:47 PM
resurfacing dosent fix the problem it will come back. The best thing to do is just get another set of rotors.

EvoStevo
04-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Hey Bevo, i sure hope that fixes the problem. I didn't find out the down side of resurfacing rotor until after the work was done. Any recommendations on Rotors/pads.

leaveit2bevo
04-02-2006, 08:34 PM
depends if you are goign to the track and have the cash a nice set of 2 peice rotors are awesome. But if its just street http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo.htm sells some good replacement slotted rotors. Im running ferodo ds2500 and are great street pads.

HardRideCafe
10-30-2006, 08:43 PM
I also had the same problem when braking on the freeway. I also never tracked my car. I had the dealer replace the front rotors and pads under warranty vice having them turned. South Coast Mitsu really good at giving what the customer wants.

NMREJ6
10-30-2006, 08:50 PM
I also had the same problem when braking on the freeway. I also never tracked my car. I had the dealer replace the front rotors and pads under warranty vice having them turned. South Coast Mitsu really good at giving what the customer wants.

a totally agree with this guy... I just had the same thing happen to me. My rotors lasted around 11k and were replaced with brake pads from SC :mitsu:

Rigo took care of them for me O0

ecko_3420
12-25-2006, 08:11 PM
When driving at aroung 80mph and i brake my steering wheel shakes...Ive been reading and ppl have been mentioning rotors being wraped....My question is will this be covered by warranty??I have 20000 miles on my 03gsr...My basic warranty is expired but the other ones are good...Any body have any info on this??thanks and merry xmas guys...

4G63 FEVER
12-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Not too likely depending on dealer. Had this happen on mine and they just told me they were warped and that they would turn them for 100 bucks. Needless to say I didn't have them do it.

Miss Evo8
12-25-2006, 08:26 PM
When driving at aroung 80mph and i brake my steering wheel shakes...Ive been reading and ppl have been mentioning rotors being wraped....My question is will this be covered by warranty??I have 20000 miles on my 03gsr...My basic warranty is expired but the other ones are good...Any body have any info on this??thanks and merry xmas guys...

might be some built up brake dust or something...try (in a safe area..not in the middle of rush hour) hitting the brakes really hard...to the point before ABS comes on and it might clear the problem...if not just buy new rotors...or get yours turned...

speedracer2169
12-25-2006, 09:06 PM
sounds like your rotors are warped. if you know how to take them off you can take it to autozone and get them resurfaced for like 20-30 bucks.

05-EVO-GSR
12-25-2006, 09:55 PM
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

trinydex
12-26-2006, 12:48 AM
for not searching your question gets merged into the fat cluster fuck of most commonly asked questions.

ecko_3420
12-26-2006, 04:25 AM
for not searching your question gets merged into the fat cluster fuck of most commonly asked questions.

i have searched here and in evoM...jst couldnt find anything about the warranty part...any info on the warranty if it covered??again my basic warranty is expired..past 3 years...thanks again..

fusionchicken
12-26-2006, 04:31 AM
not sure if somebody has already said this, but when my newly bought IX was exhibiting steering wheel shaking when braking at above 70mph after just 2000 miles on the motor, it was because a pretty big sized rock got stock on the brake pad....so this could be the cause as well for some of you.

no i did not take my car off road, just crappy luck.

trinydex
12-26-2006, 10:24 AM

i have searched here and in evoM...jst couldnt find anything about the warranty part...any info on the warranty if it covered??again my basic warranty is expired..past 3 years...thanks again..
oh dear dear. searching on evom, that's where you went wrong. don't worry i'm not angry and i'm not trying to be unhelpful.

i did merge the topics so you could read them from the beginning and hopefully get the answers you're looking for.

summary is that it's likely that you need to rebed, drive them reall hot and not touch them for a nice cruise down a freeway. but if they are indeed warped, try resurfacing and once that has annoyed you to death shell out hte money for decent rotors. but do test in that order.

ecko_3420
12-26-2006, 12:50 PM
jst got back from the shop..yup they were wraped...got them resurfaced and flipped for 70bucks...havnt gone above 80 so im still waiting on how they are..hopefully that fixed it...thanks for all the info..

projektevolutionix
01-19-2007, 07:40 PM
do your guys brakes squeak once in a while?

Faust54
01-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Â* Yes. Brake dust most likely. clean your wheels and you should be ok, but it happens from time to time.

trinydex
01-20-2007, 12:36 AM

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&?topic=23636.msg6756783#msg6756783

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&?topic=35215.msg6582141#msg6582141

white9
07-10-2007, 01:11 PM
ok so southcoast will most likely replace my warped rotors that have 7000 highway miles and no track days on them

RPD_FKTARD
07-10-2007, 01:36 PM
how do you wrap your rotors?

Terenus
07-10-2007, 02:00 PM
ok so southcoast will most likely replace my warped rotors that have 7000 highway miles and no track days on them

how do you wrap your rotors?

Lewis, go find something to do that is more productive than reading someone's post wrong and make yourself look stupid.

Terenus
07-10-2007, 02:02 PM

They would most likely turn your rotors.

white9
07-10-2007, 05:36 PM
o sweet there not suuuuper warped or anything yet but i wanna get them fixed before is gets bad.

trinydex
07-10-2007, 05:52 PM
which is exactly why you haven't warped them.

o sweet there not suuuuper warped or anything yet but i wanna get them fixed before is gets bad.

how do you get non suuper warped rotors? and how to you get them SUUUPPPER warped???

white9
07-10-2007, 06:41 PM
hmmm lets see... non super warped is when the rotors are not completely trashed... :uglystupid2: super warped is when they are junk.. :grin:

trinydex
07-10-2007, 07:23 PM
i think the point of warped rotors = trashed evades you

white9
07-10-2007, 08:06 PM
ok thanks for the info guys ^^

R-EVOLUTION
02-22-2008, 01:17 PM
I have 2 issue's
1) re-surfface rotors or go with Stoptech

and

2) which pads to get
*Endless Vita Nuova
or
*Hawk HPS

NEED FEED BACK!

The Emperor
02-24-2008, 03:03 PM
i have Endless Two-piece rotors that are dimpled and slotted, are they okai to resurface?

R-EVOLUTION
02-25-2008, 03:33 PM
i thnk they are i have to take them to the guy to check them out if they cant resurface them ima need some need rotors...

demartinoink
05-21-2008, 09:38 PM
It's not. I had a friend who thought while washing his car in cold weather with smokes comming out of his rotor was cool. He kept on spraying until it didn't smoke anymore and his rotors warped. It was 2 days old.

wow...people do amazing things...

Cedia619
06-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Hey will Mitsubishi cover the warped rotors if i still have warranty?

white9
06-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Hey will Mitsubishi cover the warped rotors if i still have warranty?

Depending on what you do with your car... meaning if you rally or go in the dirt they will see junk/dirt and everything else emerged in the pads, and not warranty them. Take them to Southcoast and ask Steve. They warrantied mine, but pretty much gave me a warning saying they won't warranty them again. because i take my car up a dirt road everyday, and in the winter it gets muddy which destroyed my pads and rotors

PUNISHER
09-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Anyone know how much they charge to resurface rotors?

amak87
11-03-2009, 05:25 PM
I just installed stoptech street performance pads, and had my existing Powerslot slotted rotors turned. (the rotors were not warped, no existing problems.)
I also bled the brakes with motul rbf600. As soon as i started rolling in the car again, when I applied braking pressure, the pedal had a pulsing feel, and I could feel it slightly in the steering wheel.. this pulsing happens at ANY speed.. EI.. rolling to a stop from 5mph??

Is this from not bedding in the pads yet? The rotors are not warped and everything is installed correctly, any help??

Ill be trying to bed them in this weekend and see if that helps. :/

evo ace
07-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Try not to wash your car while your rotors are hot. Give it some cool down time.

kimchee
08-23-2010, 11:47 AM
i got problem and im not too sure its my brakes or not but i hit the brakes at 70+ once and my steering wheel was shaking but after that i nvr had it shake again, im not too sure if the brakes are the problem because the screeching noise only seems come out from 1st gear at low rpms and it doesnt matter if im braking or not, but ever since i washed my car the screech had become louder and i always wash my car after i let it sit for a while, im not sure if these are separate problems or not.

UCLAevo
10-23-2011, 09:49 PM
i've got some really bad shimmy when braking, so i'm trying to rebed them. however, i was wondering if you guys think the excessive shaking could be bad (e.g. start rattles, loosen stuff up, etc).

also, my rotors were resurfaced last may, and then i went away for the summer with the car sitting on a slight incline (1st gear and e-brake on). could that have attributed to any uneven deposits?

400whp350wtq
10-23-2011, 09:52 PM
ZI dont know but i have the same problem. fuck evos

evolutong
10-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Subscribed

BabyEvo69
07-31-2013, 01:34 AM
One needs 3 things to be truly happy living in the world: some thing to do, some one to love, some thing to hope for.
Buy WOW Gold (http://www.mmotank.com/)||Cheap RS Gold (http://www.thersgolds.com/) || RS Gold (http://www.okrunescape.com/)

You are fking stupid. Take a hike.

Pwrdby4g63
08-05-2014, 07:03 PM
If the current brake pads that are on their are still good you can sand down the brake pads down a bit and resurface the rotors. I've done this before and have had no issues. You may have to cut the rotors 2-3 times depending on how much run out the rotors have.