PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood KVT-617 Questions

ultraflip
12-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Hey All...

I've been eyeing this unit (dont ask why)... and just wanted to know if anyone can give some input about it...

More so towards the Nav system... are you REQUIRED to use the propriety Kenwood nav system? how would it work w/ a 3rd party nav system like the new tomtom and its touch screen?

also... the accessories...
kenwood ipod cable - how does this work w/ indash touch screen control?
bluetooth - the bluetooth module that kenwood sells... will it work w/ this unit?

then customization...
is there any way to use ur own pix as backgrounds? are you only stuck w/ the 6 given?

thanks guys

shadowist
12-28-2006, 12:53 AM
i picked up this headunit about a month or 2 ago...first off i didnt get navi nor bluetooth.

what i do have tho is the ipod... the ipod is not controllable thru the touchscreen. its pretty much just hardwired thru an audio input into the headunit and u control everything from the ipod itself.

the stock backgrounds stuck. as far as i know you cant use your own background, not 100% sure tho. if you do find something like this let me know.

i think if you want the ipod control and navi, you should look into a avic instead.

Terenus
12-28-2006, 01:04 AM
ROFL, that's BS that you can't even control Ipod with the head unit. I was going to pick one of these up too...

EVOMANIAC
12-28-2006, 08:59 AM
I have the KVT-817 Excelon. You have to use a Kenwood Navi as far as I know. The I-Pod adaptor from Kenwood allows me to use the touchscreen to control the I-Pod. You plug the I-Pod into the CD-changer position. You use the I-Pod like a Cd changer. The wallpaper is the six that come with it and that is all.
My Navi unit is the 4100 unit. It uses a DVD and has not been updated since 2004. It runs about $1000. Kenwood has these new units that run about $500-$600 and use a SD card instead of a DVD, so you can easily update the maps for the Navi.
Hope this helps if you have anymore questions let me know.
My two amps are Kenwood Excelons too.

airforce1
12-28-2006, 09:50 AM
although this doesn't help, the SD card can be filled with updated maps from certain websites so keep that in mind. I have a TOM TOM one right now and I just purchased the simplest version which has just Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. You can also drop in another person's TOM TOM SD card and now I am able to get all of Western Europe. I am not advocating pirating but this is just FYI.

Although it looks cool to have a combo DVD/nav system, you are basically stuck with its display layout and also its maps. As people have already mentioned, getting a map upgrade is just as expensive as gettting a portable nav system itself. Why spend $$ when you can do an easy upgrade like a portable.

Hopefully Flip you can use a portable NAV to work with the kenwood unit. Hope this post helps...

ultraflip
12-28-2006, 09:55 AM
thanks guys... keep the input coming... big things are going to happen with this unit... i'm on a mission now... lol

endlessCT9Amr
12-29-2006, 05:36 PM
thanks guys... keep the input coming... big things are going to happen with this unit... i'm on a mission now... lol

I almost went the in-dash Navi route, but decided against it for the following reasons:

- I don't get lost very often
- Will I ever watch DVDs in the car? No
- Does the added cost justify the benefits? No, in my opinion
- What's more important - audio or navi? Audio, in my opinion (most of these in-dash Navi units have poor audio control / manipulation features and have low pre-out voltage)

So I am sticking with a single-DIN headunit and picking up a TomTom PNAV instead. Helps that TeleAtlas, TomTom's mapping provider, is a client of my firm :)

Evolution22plus1
12-29-2006, 05:59 PM
U guys should just switch to Sprint and get TELENAV for $9.99 a month if its navigation u want....

airforce1
01-01-2007, 06:23 PM
ahhh...but you use your precious mobile minutes when connecting, correct?

crashergs
05-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Whats up guys,

here are a couple of pics i took for you to help you on your decision, i personally like it so far
I purchased this unit a couple of days ago, and so far am getting the hang of it. I do like it very much, easy to use and automatically closes and opens when u turn off and on the car, I will be getting a gps unit for it shortly and the ipod interface adapter, the installation is clean as well and doesnt look ridiculous like other radios ive seen. I posted some pictures for you guys.... enjoy! OH and the very first picture those are the settings you will need in order for it to be almost a vertical angle for viewing pleasure. Also another thing about thi unit I like personally, is that I can extend the lcd monitor higher up for the folks in the back, double din radios unfortunately cannot extend their monitors out, they can only position an angle, this does both and im sure other units similar to this do the same. I got this radio for 500.00 at best buy but employee discount, cheers!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/crashergs/radio4.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/crashergs/radio1.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/crashergs/radio3.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/crashergs/raido2.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/crashergs/radio5.jpg

ultraflip
05-29-2007, 09:29 AM
looks like mine =X...

now we have to pay 799 for the stinking gps unit... and we cant get a bluetooth module for cell phones.. =(...

i do however, have the HD radio, Sirius radio, and ipod modules which made me feel a lil better...

happy trails bro

crashergs
05-29-2007, 10:00 AM
ebay cheaper

lokimr
01-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Saw this unit at Fry's for like $640.Â* Quick question because I am in the market and have been looking at many headunits.Â* Is this one where a part of the faceplate is detachable and has a blinking red light as deterrent?Â* Thx.

-Loki

Whoops almost forgot... Where did you guys decide to mount the hideaway? Just stick it in Glove Box? Under Seat? (well neatly of course lol)

ultraflip
01-16-2008, 05:03 PM
yes... it has the dinky red light...

hideaway is in the trunk... as it connects to my carputer

koolguy21
01-20-2008, 12:51 AM
I love this unit, I have the hideaway under the passenger seat.